• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The new US DVD gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi1001

Statistical Anomaly
Reaction score
Some of you may recall the unusually long gap in new (non-compilation, that is) Pokemon DVDs in the US that ran from late 2009 to early 2011. The last volumes of Battle Dimension were released in the US in October 2009, and we didn't get the Arceus movie DVD until February 2011 (more than a year after the movie debuted on TV in the US). This week, we got the second volume of Sinnoh League Victors, but no sign (that I could find) of volume 3 on the horizon. The 2009-2011 the gap is theorized (at least by me) to be the result of WB's rights to distribute the first 3 movies beginning to expire. Any ideas what the gap here might be about, if anything?

I thought they figured not even HGSS could get the Johto seasons on boxsets due to the lack of nostalgia for them.

*Facepalm. Gliscor'd is just Johto hating as usual. Its probably just an economically slow period that's the cause for the longer time between dvd releases. I know of several people that have asked Viz Media to do Johto on their FB page a couple months ago, and they mentioned they'd speak to the Pokemon brand manager about it. We'll just have to wait and see.

But you would think that when HGSS came out, Viz would take advantage of Johto being on everyones mind again and release the Johto seasons on DVD. However now that Johto is old news once again due to Black/White coming out, its just now a decade old saga lost in the shuffle.

While I assume they will release Johto boxsets eventually, I find it strange they didn't do it back in 2009 when it would have brought them the most sales.

I thought they figured not even HGSS could get the Johto seasons on boxsets due to the lack of nostalgia for them.

I seriously doubt that the lack of nostalgia was the reason why Johto boxsets weren't released. There isn't much nostalgia for the Orange Islands, at least compared to the Kanto saga, but they still ended up re-releasing it on DVD.

Personally, I always thought that it was the result of some conflict between TPCI and Viz regarding the distribution of the movies. After Viz distributed the Darkari movie, Universal distributed the Giratina movie. Considering that no other Pokemon DVDs, outside of I think the re-releases of those "Best of" DVDs, until after the Arceus movie came out, which was distributed by Viz, I think that they there was some kind of dispute between the companies regarding the distribution of the movie. That might be a bit of a stretch, but I do remember that the first volume of Galactic Battles was announced shortly after the Arceus movie was. I thought that Sinnoh League Victors would only have two volumes since has a relatively short amount of episodes, but I haven't bought either volume yet. I'd personally love to get Johto re-released on DVD. That would be easier than importing the Australian box sets or finding the Johto League Champions used at a relatively decent price on Amazon.

I seriously doubt that the lack of nostalgia was the reason why Johto boxsets weren't released. There isn't much nostalgia for the Orange Islands, at least compared to the Kanto saga, but they still ended up re-releasing it on DVD.

Orange Islands has plenty of nostalgic value. The fact that nobody ever forgot about them despite how short it was says a lot. It was the second real arc after Kanto, nobody will forget it.

I'm surprised by the lack of season 3 and 4 boxsets, yet they released Master Quest? What gives?

Also, Hoenn is a very popular era of the anime, yet, like johto, 2/3rds of it has yet to be released in boxset form (I don't really count BF since it doesn't take place there).

I'm surprised by the lack of season 3 and 4 boxsets, yet they released Master Quest? What gives

Master Quest was the better part of Johto. Whirl Cup, Lugia arc, Red Gyarados, last two Gyms, Charizard and Squirtle returning, the Johto league conference, Ash beating Gary, Misty leaving, etc.

The last season of Johto has a lot of important events in it that tie up the original series and set the stage for AG.

I found Master Quest to be boring myself...

A lot of things happened, yes, but I think it had by far the worst fillers. And of course, a LOT of the season was filler

It was still the most important Johto season. Pretty much also because its the end of the original series in general.

I am both disappointed and angry with this thread. Nine replies and only *one* of them is even remotely on-topic. You all should know better.

The second Sinnoh League Victors set just came out a few days ago, so I think it's a bit early to worry about us getting another long-term gap like we had between 2009 and 2011. Yes, we usually have an announcement of a third box set by now, but that doesn't mean they can't still make one in the next month or so and have a third box set out sometime in the summer.

The only other thing I can think of is how @Piplup said that the people behind the Polish dub claimed that the undubbed Dawn and Brock specials were a part of Season 13. I don't think their possible inclusion is the issue here - the way the episodes are being spread out on the DVDs is a telltale sign, as is the fact that any contract negotiations like that would have taken place when the rights to the season were being bought in the first place - but it *is* possible that it's causing some kind of snag for the licensors.

Last edited:
Orange Islands has plenty of nostalgic value. The fact that nobody ever forgot about them despite how short it was says a lot. It was the second real arc after Kanto, nobody will forget it.

I'm not sure about that. While the Orange Islands was the first second arc after Kanto, I don't think it's remembered nearly as much or as fondly as Kanto. When most causal fans of the franchise think of the anime, they usually think of Kanto and I don't think most people who aren't familiar with the anime even know who Tracey is. I'm also not sure by what you mean by that no one ever forgot about them exactly.

Anyway, looking at the covers online, they only contain eleven episodes. Despite how Viz divided Galactic Battles into four sets, I was expecting Sinnoh League Victors to only be two sets considering that there's only about thirty four episodes under that title, if I recall correctly. It seems kind of weird, but the box sets must be selling well enough for them to make more of them for a season than necessary. I wouldn't get too worried about a third box set. I'm sure that will come out at some point later this year. They'll want to start releasing Black and White on DVD after they finish releasing DP, so I imagine that alone will lead to a third box set. I'm not sure if the Dawn and Brock specials would put a delay in the third box set, especially when I was under the impression that TPCI would have gotten those episodes when they got BW, but I guess it's a possibility. It might be more likely that they just aren't ready to announce the third box set release date yet though.

The only other thing I can think of is how @Piplup said that the people behind the Polish dub claimed that the undubbed Dawn and Brock specials were a part of Season 13. I don't think their possible inclusion is the issue here - the way the episodes are being spread out on the DVDs is a telltale sign, as is the fact that any contract negotiations like that would have taken place when the rights to the season were being bought in the first place - but it *is* possible that it's causing some kind of snag for the licensors.

I think you're mixing me up with AtoMan XD he's the one who had involvement with the Polish dub, I was involved with the Hebrew dub - and yes, I did say this back then, but it seems to not be the case after all
This is what was up - Disney Channel, when asked about Pokémon long ago (after they finished airing Season 12 and Movie 12) answered that they will air Season 13 and Movie 13 and that Season 13 will contain 36 episodes - that lead me to believe the Dawn and Brock eps are included
Time passed and eventually nothing came of that and Disney Channel, when asked about Pokémon, only say that they don't plan to air Pokémon at all anymore 0__o
The only thing I can make of that is that maybe there were initial plans to include these two eps in the season but it was eventually decided not to do it?... I don't know

Also, talking about the Hebrew dub, as some of you may know, Season 13 and Movie 13 actually did get dubbed here in Israel, but sadly from this Season things are handled by TPCi and SDI Media, who gave the show to another dubbing studio than the one who worked on the show till now, let them translate it by horrible full-with-mistakes term glossaries and lots of the voice recordings are made without a voice director present =\

I tried to help them out but it didn't really work and it seems like they really don't care at all for the show, which really hurts me, after I already was part of the Hebrew dub (consultation for terms and such things for Pokémon Chronicles, Seasons 10-12, Movie 12 and also translated some eps of Season 11)
Since this bad dub wasn't made for a certain channel in Israel but directly to TPCi/SDI, it seems things got more complicated and it still didn't air at all despite how it's over a year since they worked on it... recently it was announced that Pokémon will be up in "HOT VOD Young" (a VOD service with kids shows) but they refuse to give any more details currently, so it's unknown if it's some old season or Season 13 that still didn't air... I guess it is Season 13 and that it will only be up on VOD instead of actually airing on any channel
Sorry for getting on the whole Hebrew dub thing, but I can't not get into this when someone mentions this dub to me... it's really sad how TPCi/SDI are killing their own show in their own hands... I can only hope they'll stop dubbing Pokémon now, because this show doesn't deserve this treatment

ANYWAY... getting back on topic... it IS weird the Dawn and Brock eps weren't released outside of Japan yet
I don't get why they didn't air them in sync with the Croagunk/Piplup C-Gear events... it could work nicely and I think that's how it was in Japan

I guess part of the reason I brought this up is I'd like to see them get closer to the CN-DVD gap from the Battle Dimension era, where we'd be getting the first volume of the last season a few months after it ends.

I'm just buying BW Era DVDs so I also hope they start distributing them faster. If they can release Movie 14 a few month after it airs, what's stopping them from releasing the actual episodes just as fast?

The contracts that need to be written up will be different, for starters. Movies tend to be their own self contained thing and are less tricky to license than 20-some hour chunks of a TV series. I'm sure the fact that Cartoon Network is still airing Season 14 reruns (I assume?) is a factor as well.

Last edited:
Australia has the best pokemon dvd collection, we already have the black and white season on dvd

At least America receives the TV show on DVDs eventually...the most the UK ever received was season 1 on VHS years ago and Chronicles on DVD. MangaUK said on their Facebook tried to get the UK rights, but TPCi said they had "other plans"...yeah, like what? >>

Also...I can't help but wonder if the Team Plasma two parter may have something to do with it :-/

Most likely not, but I have to wonder...

At least America receives the TV show on DVDs eventually...the most the UK ever received was season 1 on VHS years ago and Chronicles on DVD. MangaUK said on their Facebook tried to get the UK rights, but TPCi said they had "other plans"...yeah, like what? >>

That's mainly due to universal pictures being the uk publisher of pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom