• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Nickname Help Thread

Warrior of Fire

This is the Monado's power!
Reaction score
Ever have trouble coming up with a nickname for your Pokémon? Want something different than what you usually use? Doing a Nuzlocke and want a list of possible nicknames for whatever you might catch? Then you've come to the right place. Just state what you need, and even post and ideas to help others who've asked for help. You can be as infomative about the Pokémon as you want, including the nature, characteristic, and stats if already obtained. The amount of given info is entirely up to you.

Also, please make serious suggestions, even if it's for a joke nickname (we do allow fun, silly, or even downright stupid suggestions, but for the love of Arceus, please be helpful when doing so), and please state which game it's for, since X and Y did increase the nickname character limit. Speaking of X and Y, you can even ask for trainer nicknames for those games (or even player names in general in any game if you can't think of one).

On to part of why I made this thread, I need nicknames for Palossand, Naganadel, and Weavile in Ultra Moon. I already have Palossand and Poipole, and I will provide more info on them if it's needed. For Weavile, I would like suggestions for both a male and a female, or even something gender-neutral.

EDIT: Palossand is female and has a timid nature, while Poipole is modest.

Last edited:
I’ve definitely needed this thread. I’d love to help anyone with their names as well, although just a fair warning I’m probably not very good at it.

Ok so I have 2. First is more important, it’s my shiny butterfree. I bred it specifically and carefully to be perfect. It’s a female, and in serious need of a nickname. I wanted to make it something really meaningful and valuable to me, but I had no luck thinking of anything.

Second is a porygon2. This is one of my competitively bred Pokémon so a more humorous name is welcome if that comes to you.

Thanks in advance :)

I’ve definitely needed this thread. I’d love to help anyone with their names as well, although just a fair warning I’m probably not very good at it.

Ok so I have 2. First is more important, it’s my shiny butterfree. I bred it specifically and carefully to be perfect. It’s a female, and in serious need of a nickname. I wanted to make it something really meaningful and valuable to me, but I had no luck thinking of anything.

Second is a porygon2. This is one of my competitively bred Pokémon so a more humorous name is welcome if that comes to you.

Thanks in advance :)
I absolutely adore nicknaming pokémon, I feel that it adds so much more personality to your partners. I personally chose names that I think fit that indavidual pokémon. For example, I named my Talonflame “Blaise” because it’s part fire type, but still unique enough to not be cliché. Hopefully I can help you do this with your pokémon.

Now, for your shiny Butterfree, I would personally choose a name that would fit perfectly, considering it must have been a long journey to obtain. A pokémon like that must have a name that’s both unique and stands out. Names that come to mind include Constance, Flora, Victoria, Adaline, or Florence.

As for your Porygon2, I think a math based name would fit, wouldn’t you? Perhaps Lateralus. “Lateral” is a part of the word 'Quadrilateral', which is a polygon, of which Porygon's body shape is made up of. Plus, it's a Tool reference. The “us” just turns it into a name. I’ve dubbed my own Porygon this, and thought it would be fun to share.

You’re totally not obligated to use these names, just thought that it would be fun to throw out suggestions. ;)

I absolutely adore nicknaming pokémon, I feel that it adds so much more personality to your partners. I personally chose names that I think fit that indavidual pokémon. For example, I named my Talonflame “Blaise” because it’s part fire type, but still unique enough to not be cliché. Hopefully I can help you do this with your pokémon.

Now, for your shiny Butterfree, I would personally choose a name that would fit perfectly, considering it must have been a long journey to obtain. A pokémon like that must have a name that’s both unique and stands out. Names that come to mind include Constance, Flora, Victoria, Adaline, or Florence.

As for your Porygon2, I think a math based name would fit, wouldn’t you? Perhaps Lateralus. “Lateral” is a part of the word 'Quadrilateral', which is a polygon, of which Porygon's body shape is made up of. Plus, it's a Tool reference. The “us” just turns it into a name. I’ve dubbed my own Porygon this, and thought it would be fun to share.

You’re totally not obligated to use these names, just thought that it would be fun to throw out suggestions. ;)
Thanks for the help! I like the idea of naming porygon2 something math-related. I think I’m gonna do that :)

That depends. We don't really know what feels meaningful or valuable to you (or at least, I don't.)

Any leads that could help people think of something?
Unless I'm misinterpreting this.

Yeah, I know it’s probably too hard to think of something for someone else like that. I mean, I know me best and can’t figure out what to name her.

Basically all I can say is that I like video games, especially classic Nintendo ones, and I like music. I’ve tried thinking of a famous composer that I like and could name her after but I’ve had no luck.

But don’t worry about it, I’ll find a name when the time is right :) (assuming I don’t accidentally transfer her to gen 8 first).

Oh, this thread will help me a lot. Let me see... I need a nickname for a Slowpoke (first Gen. Blue). Its gender is nonexistent, of course, but I like to think that it's a male. Any suggestions? Also, I'd need one for a Rattata (Alolan form).

Oh, this thread will help me a lot. Let me see... I need a nickname for a Slowpoke (first Gen. Blue). Its gender is nonexistent, of course, but I like to think that it's a male. Any suggestions? Also, I'd need one for a Rattata (Alolan form).
For slowpoke I think the name Dopey fits, but that might also be cliche considering it’s the dopey pokmeon :p

Is your rattata going to stay a rattata or would you evolve it? Because I personally feel like that makes a difference when naming stuff.

Nope, I won't evolve it! I'm trying to complete a box with all of the regional Pokémon, so it'll stay as a Rattata forever -- meaning that the request still stands!

Also, thanks for that suggestion! The name Dopey is adorable.

Nope, I won't evolve it! I'm trying to complete a box with all of the regional Pokémon, so it'll stay as a Rattata forever -- meaning that the request still stands!

Also, thanks for that suggestion! The name Dopey is adorable.
Hm... its Pokédex mentions shopping for ingredients, so maybe you could name it after that rat in the movie Ratatouille? Could be cute.

Otherwise you could name it scabbers, or peter, if Harry Potter is your thing.

Or, just something cute, maybe like Nibbles or Stashy.

I'm currently shiny hunting Growlithe on Heartgold... For about 8 months, that is. Only got a golden Spearow to show for it.
Anyway, I'd like to see if I can get a cool nickname for it. It'll be used for Battle Frontier, with a Endure with Salac Berry + Reversal set. Supposedly Jolly nature, if I get lucky. It'll be very special, with all ribbons starting on gen 4. No idea what to nickname it tho.

Nah, I'm going to evolve it. Would be pretty hard using a Growlithe on the Battle Frontier :p
Forgot to mention, it'll be on a Heavy Ball, because it's my favorite Apricorn. Good suggestion tho, may use something similar.

Because of Chuggaaconroy, I'm a fan of RK9, personally. Also Roary because of his struggles to catch one in Crystal thanks to Roar.

Hey, I have four Pokemon in need of nicknames.

Alolan Vulpix
Female, bold nature, quick to flee

Rockruff (Midday)
Female, impish nature, somewhat stubborn

Amaura
Female, quiet, quick to flee

Dratini
Female, calm, somewhat vain

Nah, I'm going to evolve it. Would be pretty hard using a Growlithe on the Battle Frontier :p
Forgot to mention, it'll be on a Heavy Ball, because it's my favorite Apricorn. Good suggestion tho, may use something similar.

Heavy Ball huh? Call him Gordo, like my Sun Arcanine.

Rockruff (Midday)
Female, impish nature, somewhat stubborn

Pebbles

I’ve recently started replaying through my copy of Pokémon X and have struggled with the task of nicknaming my pokémon. I always like to choose names that are serious and tasteful for my in-game team, because while jokes are funny, the humor wears off after a bit. I’ve specifically had the problem of coming up with names for my male Greninja and male Sylveon. My team is as follows:
  1. Greninja (?)
  2. Talonflame (Adara)
  3. Gallade (Julius)
  4. Venusaur (Atticus)
  5. Aegislash (Zenobia)
  6. Slyveon (?)
I’d prefer that any nicknames for Greninja or Sylveon not be Japanese words. It’s weird to me that when the names are translated, they become extremely basic and simple. For example, “Neko”, while sounding cute in English, translates to simply cat in Japanese. Additionally, please don’t suggest any Naruto themed nicknames for Greninja, that’s all that seems to be suggested. :p

Last edited:
For male Sylveon, I mean, it really looks like the trans pride flag. So some historical trans masculine figure (or at least cross dresser) could be fun. Joan and Mulan come to mind for two particular stories.

My science nerd heart will always appreciate Tyrone or Hayes as a frog nickname. Because this guy.

For male Sylveon, I mean, it really looks like the trans pride flag. So some historical trans masculine figure (or at least cross dresser) could be fun. Joan and Mulan come to mind for two particular stories.

My science nerd heart will always appreciate Tyrone or Hayes as a frog nickname. Because this guy.
Thank you for the help! I love the idea of naming Sylveon after a transgender man. Equality is a huge belief of mine and that idea is just perfect.

The frog name is adorable as well, while simultaneously being the perfect name for a badass. :D

I really could use some help with naming a male Magmar. It's currently nicknamed Spyro as a spur of the moment decision, but I'm not that big a fan and am trying to find something more fitting. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I really could use some help with naming a male Magmar. It's currently nicknamed Spyro as a spur of the moment decision, but I'm not that big a fan and am trying to find something more fitting. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hmm... Magmar isn't an easy one for me, but let's see what I can produce. Well, how about Pyrocitor, based on the Ratchet & Clank weapon? Since Magmar evolves into Magmortar, which has the word "mortar" in it, a weapon-like name could be fitting. If not, how about Lavaflow or Firestream?

I still need nicknames for a modest Poipole and a Weavile, and I'd also like some ideas for a Buneary and an Alolan Vulpix.

I still need nicknames for a modest Poipole and a Weavile, and I'd also like some ideas for a Buneary and an Alolan Vulpix.

For Poipole, how about Injector (it looks like an injection needle), Skyscourge, or Raynos? (The latter is the name I gave mine, heh.)

For Weavile, how about Quickstryke (for a boy) and Moonshadow (for a girl)?

For Buneary, how about Grace, Cottontail, Peter, Bianca, or Elora?

And for Alolan Vulpix, how about Crystal, Diamondust, or Aurora?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom