• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Nickname Help Thread

Please forgive the double post, but it's been a while since anyone responded to this thread, and right now I'm the one who needs some help.

In this case, I'm looking for new nicknames for one current teammate and one future one. I'll start with the current one.

As I mentioned in "Simple Questions/Answers (Gen 1-6)", I caught a Lotad and I'm now going to keep it. He's currently a Lombre, but I'm not really satisfied with his current nickname. His current nickname is Cha-Cha, as it was the best I could come up with at the time, especially since I didn't know if I'd keep him on-hand or not. So I'm asking for suggestions on what to rename him, as I'm currently at Slateport, so I'm at the right location to rename him. If you want some extra info, he's got a Calm nature and has the ability Rain Dish. I hope this helps.

Next up I'm planning on adding a Aron to my team once I get the Mach Bike, which will be soon, so I need a name for him/her (I'm gunning for a male, but I'll see what kind of luck I have, along with the suggested names). Ironhide is usually my go-to name for Mons like him and Shieldon, but I want to try something different this time. Ability-wise, I'm not entirely sure, as both are feasible options, so I guess I'll just take what I can get. But in any case, I need some new ideas for a name for an Aron.

I'm open to most ideas, so fire away and we shall see. Thanks in advance

As I mentioned in "Simple Questions/Answers (Gen 1-6)", I caught a Lotad and I'm now going to keep it. He's currently a Lombre, but I'm not really satisfied with his current nickname. His current nickname is Cha-Cha, as it was the best I could come up with at the time, especially since I didn't know if I'd keep him on-hand or not. So I'm asking for suggestions on what to rename him, as I'm currently at Slateport, so I'm at the right location to rename him. If you want some extra info, he's got a Calm nature and has the ability Rain Dish. I hope this helps.

Next up I'm planning on adding a Aron to my team once I get the Mach Bike, which will be soon, so I need a name for him/her (I'm gunning for a male, but I'll see what kind of luck I have, along with the suggested names). Ironhide is usually my go-to name for Mons like him and Shieldon, but I want to try something different this time. Ability-wise, I'm not entirely sure, as both are feasible options, so I guess I'll just take what I can get. But in any case, I need some new ideas for a name for an Aron.

For Lombre, all I can think of is the name of Chuggaaconroy's Ludicolo in his Emerald LP, Kappa. Now, an Aron, that's simple, as we're off to the titan Mechonis, with the Mechon Unique Monster known as Fate Labolas. I mean, Aggron does look like it can fit in in the world of the original Xenoblade, so why not name it after a Mechon?

Please forgive the double post, but it's been a while since anyone responded to this thread, and right now I'm the one who needs some help.

In this case, I'm looking for new nicknames for one current teammate and one future one. I'll start with the current one.

Honestly, I think Chacha is a pretty cute name (and I might just steal it). If you wanna focus on its lily pad aspect you could go for Lotus/Nelumbo? (most flower names are pretty feminine sounding, but if you don't mind that there are a lot more options). Or Cucumber to encompass both its grass/water typing and its relation to kappas?

As for Aron, I've named mine Noric, after Noric steel, and some others types of steel might sound like names too. Otherwise maybe Scuffle/Paxton/Adze/Pacul/Cangkul which are all types of gardening hoes, as a reference to its final evolution's tendencies?

I just started a Sun Nuzlocke, and I would like to start gathering nicknames for every Pokémon obtainable is Sun. A couple of notes, if an area tag pops up, it counts as a new area to catch a new Pokémon (such as Route 1 and Hau'oli Outskirts); grass/caves, surfing, fishing, and special phenomena (i.e. berry trees, shadows, etc.) all count as separate encounters when at least two exist in a given area (if multiple types of phenomena occur in the same area, only one is allowed); and, most importantly, NO TRUMP JOKES FOR YUNGOOS AND GUMSHOOS - those just aren't funny. The night exclusive encounters on Route 1 don't count unless I want to wait and I get lucky with the two grass patches you have to go through, and I don't to do that.

@Warrior of Fire Let's see if I can help you here. These are off the top of my head. I hope some of these are to your liking.

Rowlet: Nightwise, Striker, Skye
Litten: Meowzma, Tigatron, Heatblast
Poppilo: Mero, Tidal, Siren
Yungoos: Detective Jaw, Chomper, Saber Fang
Pikipek: Bazooka, Blaster, Sam
Buneary: Cottontail, Peter, Hopper
Gubbin: Sparkplug, Kazap, Sparx
Rattata: Bandit, Nibbles, Cheddar
Pichu: Sparky, Count Zap, Thundervolt
Caterpie: Felix, Flutter, Silkie
Ledyba: Buzzy, Starlight, Sunny
Wingull: Glyde, Peeko, Billy
Inkay: Kalamari, Rease, Squidward
Grimer: Slimer, Toxie, Gooking
Zorua: Dusk, Mysty, Midnight
Meowth: Eddy, Coinz, Neko
Abra: Chaos, Ovrus, Warp
Mime Jr.: Mimimic, Copycat, Le Mime
Drowzee: Kasnooze, Dreamer, Baku
Ekans: Whiplash, Sideswipe, Quickstrike
Spearow: Pecker, Beaker, Aero
Growlithe: Growlie, Hunter, Noble
Cutiefly: Honey, Fey, Fairydust
Makuhita: Sumo, Tubbimura, Bouncer
Crabrawler: Knuckler, Shellshock, Mr. Krabs
Diglett: Digger, Quaker, Moliarty
Noibat: Nightwave, Radar, Nightscream
Hawlucha: Ricochet, Skydiver, Hawkeye
Rufflet: Heroic, Skyblast, Jetstream
Mankey: Berserk, Banana, Primal
Flabebe: Bloom, Flora, Glimmer
Cottonee: Fluffee, Poofgoof, Mischief
Zubat: Nitefang, Duskwing, Echo
Smoochum: Lips, Kisser, Smacker
Furfrou: Howler, Tuff Puppy, Styler
Rockruff: Silverfang, Sveta, Rush
Spinda: Dizzy, Fuddle, Spot
Machop: Muscles, Buffy, Brawley
Roggenrola: Rockin', Ironhide, Cliff
Carbink: Sparkle, Diamond, Gemstone
Mawile: Ironfang, Trickster, Chomp

Whew... this is all I've got right now. It should cover at least most of Melemele Island. I'll see if I can come up with more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope this helps.

Well, I did have to eliminate the starters (went with Litten, named him DolphZiggler) and the ones added in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, but this list can definitely be helpful. Only real exception is Zubat, which will be named Acrobat if I get one, thanks to Chuggaaconroy's Platinum LP. Overall, definitely a good start, although some of the names are a bit meh for me. Still, gonna keep every suggestion in mind.

A slight update on the Sun Nuzlocke nickname help, I am currently on Akala Island making my way through Paniola Ranch. As for what I DON'T need nicknames for, the list follows the main body of this post. And for a reminder, this is Sun, not Ultra Sun, and my catching areas are anywhere a new area tag pops up (like Route 1 and Route 1 - Hau'oli Outskirts), grass/caves, surfing, fishing, and special phenomena (like rustling grass or berry trees), and each individual encounter type is legal for the first one to appear for me to catch. I do use a variant of the dupes clause where as long as I've caught a member of an evolutionary line, later stages are counted as caught unless the member died before evolving into the final stage it's available to be caught as (a living caught Pikipek includes Trumbeak as caught, while a caught Pikipek that dies before evolving opens Trumbeak back up to catch). I also allow myself to use any in-game trades (which must use a living Pokémon) and anything in the Sun/Moon Alola dex that I receive in a wonder trade (which I must do using a Pokémon that just died) as long as it's nicknamed. Now, on to the list of what I have, along with the living Pokémon's nicknames of the ones I still have:

Route 1: Pikipek (dead)
Hau'oli Outskirts: Wingull (Glyde)
Hau'oli City - shopping district: Abra (Alakazam) (Narkama)
Route 2: Alolan Rattata (Bandit Keith)
Route 2 (phenomena): Makuhita (Sumo)
Hau'oli Cemetery: Zubat (dead)
Verdant Cavern: Alolan Diglett (Moliarty) (dead)
Verdant Cavern (phenomena): Yungoos (DetectiveJaw)
Route 3 (phenomena) Spearow (IGT)
Melemele Meadow: Cottonee (Fluffee)
Route 3: Cutifly (dead)
Ten Carat Hill - farthest hollow: Carbink (Diamond)
Route 4: Grubbin (Nail Gun)
Route 4 (phenomena): Crabrawler (Kale)
Paniola Ranch: Miltank (Whitney)
WT1: Lillipup (Pinarreta) (IGT)
IGT1: Machop (Macho)
WT2: Pancham (Pojo)
WT3: Gible (dead)
WT4: Fomantis (Reaper)
WT5: Gastly (dead)
IGT2: Bounsweet (Bouncee)
Route 5: Lillipup (Pinarreta II)
WT6: Fletchinder (Flarrow)

EDIT: Just remembered about the Eevee egg from the nursery, and would like some nickname ideas for each Eeveelution, as well.

Last edited:
Now I need some help. In my HG run I'm raising a male Quagsire as my Water Mon. However, I cannot think of a halfway decent name for him. His current name is Mud-D (pronounced "muddy"), but in the history of Pokemon I've never been able to come up with ANY sort of decent name for Quagsire. I don't know why, but Quagsire always seems to stump me when it comes to nicknames. So if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it, as I'm coming up blank. Thanks in advance.

Now I need some help. In my HG run I'm raising a male Quagsire as my Water Mon. However, I cannot think of a halfway decent name for him. His current name is Mud-D (pronounced "muddy"), but in the history of Pokemon I've never been able to come up with ANY sort of decent name for Quagsire. I don't know why, but Quagsire always seems to stump me when it comes to nicknames. So if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it, as I'm coming up blank. Thanks in advance.
I don't know what you might be going for, but if this helps I named my Quagsire back from SS Quigley. I thought it was cute.

Or more humorously maybe something like MuddyBuddy? Or maybe just something like Biff to play off their oblivious nature.

Maybe something like Marshall for a punny name, as he'll marsh all opponents.

And if you use that, thank Chuggaaconroy, not me.

I just obtained my first shiny Pokémon ever, in this case a shiny clauncher, and would love help with a beautiful nickname to celebrate. Now, he is a male, and the shiny form consists of a shocking burnt orange and bright blue mixture. I don’t plan on using him competitivly, and would prefer to not use a comidical nickname. I would just like a nice name to celebrate a nice pokémon. :)

I just obtained my first shiny Pokémon ever, in this case a shiny clauncher, and would love help with a beautiful nickname to celebrate. Now, he is a male, and the shiny form consists of a shocking burnt orange and bright blue mixture. I don’t plan on using him competitivly, and would prefer to not use a comidical nickname. I would just like a nice name to celebrate a nice pokémon. :)

Well, how about something like Bazooka, Cannonblast, Pulsar, or Snipe, as a nod to its pistol-like claw and ability. Or maybe Geyser, Jetstream, or Tsunami to reference its type.

Sorry for the double post, but I've got another Mon needing assistance with an identity crisis. *chuckles*

I put my HG run on hold because I'm doing a lot of grinding on Victory Road and I needed a break from it, so I started up its counterpart, SoulSilver. I traded over a mystery egg from another game and it hatched into a Tyrogue. Now, as of this writing, he just evolved into a Hitmontop (which is what I was gunning for, though it was a close shave when his DEF went up by 2 at Lv19, though it balanced out upon hitting 20), but his name is rather... lackluster. His "current" name is Knuckler, as it was all I could come up with at the time, but now I see it's not very fitting. That name would better fit a Hitmonchan than Hitmontop, since Hitmonchans are punchers, so they would use their "knuckles" more than a Hitmontop. So I need some help on a new name for him. I'm just at Ilex Forest, so I'll reach the Name Rater very soon, but I would appreciate some help, as I will admit the Hitmons always stump me in one form or another when it comes to names (at least ones that aren't blatantly obvious or lame). Thanks in advance.

Okay, here we go again. This time I need an idea for a future teammate, so let's get the show on the road.

I just started my US run again and decided on another teammate for it: Alolan Marowak. The last time I used one I was mighty impressed with him. SkullMan (who was part of my MegaMan theme team) became my Totem Killer. I only decided to try one because I needed a Fire type and I wanted to give the Totem Marowak a taste of its own medicine (ie: steal the Thick Club it holds, cutting its power down and beating it up with its own weapon), and, obviously, SkullMan became a huge asset. Now, in the current day, unless I decide to breed one ahead of time (which I'm still debating on), it'll be a while until I get my hands on Cubone. However, I'm coming up blank for a name. I'm gunning for a boy, but other than the aforementioned SkullMan name, the only other names I'm coming up with are Bonz and Skullz, which are very, very lame. Now, like I said, I'm not sure if/when I'll get Cubone, and I'm gunning for a boy, and nature/ability pending (though I want Lightning Rod, as that allowed SkullMan to shut down the Electric Trial with relative ease), but I want some ideas ahead of time. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wow, it's been a while since I've been here, not since my desktop died. But that's another story for another day. I need a little help on a new nickname.

I got ahold of a shiny Lucario via Wonder Trade a while back in Gen VI (according to its data, it was caught in Johto's Safari Zone, thus it migrated all the way from Gen IV). I decided to try using it for a breeding project for my Mega-Mon in a Y replay, as it had some pretty good IVs and such. The first egg that I hatched was a shiny Riolu (I wasn't even gunning for one, nor was I even using the Masuda Method, it just lucked out), but I can't think of a good nickname for him. He's a boy, Naughty nature, Inner Focus ability, and has two Egg Moves. Normally, I use the name Noble, but I want to spice things up a bit this time around. So, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I know this forum is pretty much dead but I wanted to share some of the nicknames for my pokemon. These will be ranked from my best nicknames to the more meh ones. Oh, and this is in Ultra Moon, so gen 7.
1. Espeon- Espionage
2. Poipole- ping pong
3. Ditto- Digiorno
4. Togedemaru- soccer ball (I originally wanted to name this Oak's soccer ball, but there wasn't enough character space)
5. Hawlucha- Horchata
6. Lopunny- femboy (I had to, my lopunny is a male and the poke is very feminine)
7. Aerodactyl- Pikachu (I have decided to name certain pokemon something completely unrelated, next up is a Zubat named Lunala)
8. Primarina- Aisha (I grew up on Winx Club, so I had to pay homage to it with my starter)

I'd also like to mention my favorites in Pokemon Crystal.
1. Raikou- weather boy (from the vine)
2. Ditto- Digiorno (the original)
3. Typlosion- RICEY-P (This name was just... hilarious to me. I don't even know where I got it from. Now I can't imagine naming a Cyndaquil anything else)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom