• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a very early adopter of the prequel theory, but have shafted it after some things also pointed at a sequel. However in the last days I started believed again in it. Let's see what It could bring:

-Sina and Dexio as player characters.
-Answers to the "Evil Team that came some years ago" line, by introducing a new evil team.
-Lysandre as an ally.
-It would be a sequel to ORAS in a lot of forms, providing closure on Infinite Energy and Zinnia, and explaining what happened to Looker.
-A subplot involving how Floette decided to forgave AZ. It would be great to have a storyline that focuses solely on a Pokemon rather than a human.
-Grace as a Rhyhorn racer.
-Some answers on Malva's relation to Team Flare.
-Tons of backstories overall.

However, it would have some issues:
-Shauna, Tierno, Trevor and AZ's destinies would remain unknown until later generations. Likewise, Bonnie, Emma and Korrina, characters with a lot of sequel potential would remain just as they are.
-I don't think they would explain why Kalos starters' transformations and other new Pokemon are unaccesible in XY, neither why Zygarde didn't took an action in XY.
-Could create some timeline inconsistenses, because the time between ORAS & XY it's not clear, and it's pretty obvious that the next game (if it's gen 6) will have Hoenn references.
-The ghost girl and the mising Lumious editor mysteries would remain unexplained.

Maybe they will do a prequel in the main game, and after the league there's a time skip and we get a small sequel? That's something that hasn't been proposed, and would be very interesting to see.

-Some answers on Malva's relation to Team Flare.

She's a high-ranking member of Team Flare. Does it really need more of an explanation?

-The ghost girl and the mising Lumious editor mysteries would remain unexplained.

If anything, it would provide room for an answer to the ghost girl. She was alive in OR/AS, but dead in X/Y. So, an interquel would explain how that happened and why she is a ghost.

The missing editor already gets explained if you bring a Volcanion to the Press in X/Y.

She's a high-ranking member of Team Flare. Does it really need more of an explanation?

Yes. What's her exact rank? What's her involvement in the team's plans? They didn't really explain her role very well in XY, she spent the entire game not doing anything noteworthy and doesn't really involve herself in Team Flare's activities until post game. There has to be more to tell about her.

I agree with Bolt. Malva was the first Elite 4 member to belong to an evil organisation, and she is also the first character to explicitly threaten the player. I guess it's just a small thing, but I'd like to know more about her, especially since most Gym Leaders and Elite 4 members have no involvement in the bad guy plot whatsoever (which is something that, I hope, will change in coming games). Also, she is the holocaster star, which wouldn't just happen. How did she get to be that star, and how would the people of Kalos react knowing that their holocaster star and Elite 4 member was involved in Team Flare's plot? What was her motivation for getting involved when she must be rich from her day jobs?

I would really love a prequel, just because it hasn't happened before. I also love the idea of the PCs being Sina and Dexio, simply because they were so underutilised.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that too :T You're talking about one of the final bosses, and she has ties to the antagonists that the game just...Doesn't care about? I can get how it leaves something to be desired.

Oh, and she's the region's newswoman? Like, how the hell did she pull all three of those positions get away with it? What's her motivation to destroy mankind?

I mean...You'd think she would have a more prominent role or at least some more appearances with what she has going on. And coming off of the 5th Generation its especially odd, since even something like the Striaton Brothers shutting down their Gym got a dedicated flashback.

Last edited:

I think what we're trying to say is that we want to see her role within Team Flare expanded on in the main part of the story, and not just post-game. The fact that she's a newscaster and an E4 member means that Team Flare practically had Kalos in its pocket so to speak, not to mention Lysandre Labs is responsible for developing the Holocaster and other technologies that are used by Kalosians on a day-to-day basis.

I'm not sure if that would make any sense for some of the megas that change their type completely...
Make it so you hold the type that matches the new primary type.

In the case of megazard and mewtwo x have them hold the dragon and fighting plates

Make it so you hold the type that matches the new primary type.

In the case of megazard and mewtwo x have them hold the dragon and fighting plates

So how's Arceus gonna change types? What if you want Arceus to be Dragon type but you've given the plate to another Pokemon to mega evolve? Imo, a new pocket in the bag would be far more simple and useful than items that serve different purposes or changing how either of the two items work and making a new item.

Prequel is an idea. However, I am leaning to towards a third version or a pair of sequels. I am not expecting much for the 27th this month since it is likely just for RBY on virtual console.

Yes. What's her exact rank?

Her rank is an admin. We know that because only admins were allowed to know about the secret floor of the lab.

What's her involvement in the team's plans?

Wear red, kill everyone. Just like all the other members.

They didn't really explain her role very well in XY, she spent the entire game not doing anything noteworthy

Neither did any other member of Team Flare except for Lysandre, really.

and she is also the first character to explicitly threaten the player

Ghetsis and his icicles are sad now

Oh, and she's the region's newswoman? Like, how the hell did she pull all three of those positions get away with it? What's her motivation to destroy mankind?

See, I was under the impression that her newscaster job *was* her Team Flare duties. They keep a hand in the media through her.

I wouldn't think that being an Elite Four member would take up very much of her time considering that, in-universe, even reaching the Elite Four is considered stupidly difficult.

And as for her motivation, well, again, the lack of explanation isn't exclusive to her. The character development for everybody in Team Flare was utterly awful except for Lysandre, and even his didn't make sense in context and was a horrible example of telling-and-not-showing. Malva's motivation is the same as the rest of them - "We're the rich elite, and apparently the world is going to run out of resources very soon, so sod the poor and the middle-class! Let's pool everything we have into a secret club while our leader digs up a superweapon to commit mass-murder."

I think what we're trying to say is that we want to see her role within Team Flare expanded on in the main part of the story, and not just post-game. The fact that she's a newscaster and an E4 member means that Team Flare practically had Kalos in its pocket so to speak, not to mention Lysandre Labs is responsible for developing the Holocaster and other technologies that are used by Kalosians on a day-to-day basis.

Yeah, but we know that Team Flare "has Kalos in its pocket" as soon as we learn that they've been spying on people through the Holo Caster and have collected data on every Trainer in the region. Knowing that they had somebody in the media doesn't surprise me at all, especially since we know they were recruiting rich/influential people.

I think her E4 position makes her look a lot more important than she is. Remember that while this society does run on Pokémon, it doesn't run on Pokémon battling (hence why everybody cares so much more about Diantha's acting career than about her being the Champion). Pokémon battling is essentially a professional sport. It would be like having a championship-winning football player in your organization.

Frankly I think Malva is a mere symptom of a larger issue, which is that X/Y's character work was dismal all around. What they need to do, if they go back to it at all (which I don't think is even worth it, personally), if just rebuild the whole thing from the ground-up.

A prequel, while an interesting idea, can be awkward to work around. You have to be very careful about how much information gets around. In this case, Team Flare couldn't even be villains or talk about their desire to wipe out mankind, because then your character would know, and could tell anybody. But nobody knew that they were evil in X/Y. Everybody all just thought they were garish rich people. So you couldn't even properly expand on any of them in that way.

@Endolise Yeah, the entirety of Team Flare was remarkably shallow in their character development, but Malva arguably got it worse. At least the scientists actually went out on missions. What was Malva doing during all of this? Why didn't we see her at all until the Elite 4? If she's an admin shouldn't she be more than just a pretty face on the Holocaster or the Elite 4? It's not clear how she fits into Team Flare's hierarchy or plans.

I'm finding it really hard to wrap my head around why people think XY are "too useless" to have a 3rd version. Because what does that say about the other 3rd versions like Emerald and Platinum? If anything, I think that XY are more deserving of a complete 3rd version revamp than RS and DP were.
I think people are tired of Game Freak doing a sub-par job with the fall back that they can always make a third version. Masuda's talked about not wanting to use DLC because he wants to release full games, so maybe he should take his advice and not release paired games with poor character development and missing features just so they can pad third versions.

Maybe XY deserves a Z version to fix its mistakes, but the fans deserve more.

If we get a sequel or a prequel (I would personally much prefer a sequel), I definitely think Malva needs to be a little more fleshed out. Maybe even the primary villain. Hell, maybe make her the Champion? Would be our first Fire type Champion, and the first Champion to be member (not to mention leader) of the evil team. Crazy, but sounds cool to me.

I think people are tired of Game Freak doing a sub-par job with the fall back that they can always make a third version. Masuda's talked about not wanting to use DLC because he wants to release full games, so maybe he should take his advice and not release paired games with poor character development and missing features just so they can pad third versions.

Maybe XY deserves a Z version to fix its mistakes, but the fans deserve more.

Unfortunately, I think the only realistic way for GF to make such a drastic change is for the fans to stop buying into it... as in literally stop buying anything and everything with the word Pokemon on it. There is a reason why they're still going at it after 20 years.

I'm going to be truthfully blunt about this, but I think it's hilariously ridiculous when the fans scream foul at Game Freak for not doing "better", "different", and "innovative" but yet still continue to buy the games, sometimes both versions or all 3. Actions speak louder than words; when the fans continue to participate in this endless cycle of buying every main series game, it's telling Game Freak that what they're doing and have been doing for the past 20 years is right. So in my opinion, I think that the fans who complain about these things over and over, but continue to "catch 'em all", don't honestly know what they really want.

DP remakes can just retcon the plates into mega stones.
> implying you want to give Arceus an extra 100 BST
With very rare exception (Mega Alakazam), every Mega Evolution has given the respective Pokémon an extra 100 points in their base stat total. Considering Arceus has 120 across the board, that already makes it a gamebreaker, and there's several fearsome sets it can run already without needing to resort to the power of Mega Evolution. Besides that, you're also suggesting that you want to restrict the Plates to Arceus only - and unless it becomes available without the need for an in-game event, I doubt that'll ever happen because they have in-game utility outside of Arceus' Multitype.

I just heard someone talk about the "Ghost Girl" in Lumiose City, correct? Has anyone forgotten about the ghost girl in Black/White/Black 2/White 2? Y'know, the one that appeared in the Abandoned House and Marvelous Bridge? What if the one from X/Y and B/W/B2/W2 are both the same person? Has anyone ever thought about that?

Anyways, I'd be very excited if the new seventh generation Pokémon games involved the new evil team in the Kalos region, and while Sina and Dexio are both from that brand new region.

I'm not sure how a villainous champion being defeated as their team head at their plot climax, and then being defeated again at the League, and then sticking around for rematches would work out, especially if they are to be as prominent as previous team leaders have been. That just seems a bit of a stretch as to how they never got caught.

Having the climax take place at the league like in B/W would answer that, as would a new champion stepping up to take their place after the villain gets defeated and leave/get arrested. Or having a team leader who isn't the real team leader at all, but secretly answers to the champion and carries out their plans for them. Maybe even that the champion mind controlled them via a psychic/ghost type Pokemon. But maybe that's a bit heavy for Pokemon.

Malva doesn't need more explaining, but it'd certainly be appreciated. Having her return as a villainous leader/champion with a killer new look and a new fire type mega would certainly be great. It's about time we had a female villain team leader. Fingers crossed, Gen VII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom