• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Guide

Lugnut

Johto!
Reaction score
With the mass of information available on the Internet, the guidebooks aren’t very useful anymore. They are still nice to read, and contain great artwork of the pokemon and characters. Is anyone planning on getting the guide for HG/SS, as Gamestop is already taking reservations? At $20 it isn’t really that bad of a deal?

I might get it. I bought the Platinum guide for the easy access to the Pokedex and move list. It also gave me something else to read for a bit. I have the old guide for G/S so I might buy this one for nostalgia sake.

Edited to add (thanks Trainer Hibiki):
Just to forewarn everyone they may break this one up into two guides again like the did with Diamond or Pearl. The HeartGold and SoulSilver guide is going to give the Johto Adventure Walkthrough, Encounter Tables, the Johto Pokedex, and a guide to the PokeWalker. It looks like it is going to cover the whole main storyline all the way up to the end of the Elite 4. I also found out that there is going to be a second guide put out by Prima in April of 2010.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered it because I got the Platinum guide and it helped a lot. When you want simple information, such as where to catch a certain Pokemon, it's way easier to flip through the book for a few seconds than to start up your computer for the sole purpose of looking up one thing.

Those guides are huge. I use my knowledge of GameFAQS, Bulbapedia, and Serebii to find out what I need. I'm not wasting the money.

I get them. I use them when I am on the go and have no internet to look up breeding stuff and move tutor stuff. Or something that I don't have a clue about.

I like the art in physical form, so I might pick this up.

Ah I remember my old Gold and Silver guide I shared with my brother. It's falling apart and currently held together by scotch tape rofl.

I won't buy the guide myself, since I flat out don't have the money. There is something nice about consulting a guide instead of the internet, but I find it quicker to search Bulbapedia or whatever to find what I need (and then some).

if I have enough money when it comes out, I'll be getting it. I find it's handy to have it on the go, when I can't use WiFi on my iPhone or use my computer to look things up.

Not to mention it's like half the size of the Platinum book, at least according to Amazon, so it's easier to carry around than that thing.

I diddn't need a guide for D/P/PT and i won;t need it now and i will probally buy one when gamestop drops the price on it like always.

I don't have the money, so I won't be getting it. It is useful on the go when you don't have access to a computer, but when you're at home with a computer and internet, it's pretty obsolete.

I buy them because I use my guide so that I know exactly which pokémon are available in each route.

I occasionally go by the classic technique of trying to capture every pokémon on the route, defeating the ones I already have captured in my quest to get the others.
I recommend it but you need a guide or access to the internet at every moment you play.

I will be getting the guide definately; I LOVE the easy step by step guide to completing the story...They don't have that on Bulbapedia, like where you go and in what order. It gives you the location of the HMs, items, etc.
Plus the Pokemon and their moves and I like a PHYSICAL Pokedex guide.
They're very useful.

I usually buy the guide but this time I'll pass. It's more fun when it's a bit of a surprise, I know GS like the back of my hand, and I have the original guide. Plus last time I got one my friend borrowed it and accidentally killed his sister's turtle with it.

My time on the internet is strictly limited, so having a guide around is useful when I can't get on Bulbapedia or some other site for my info. It's also good casual reading (To me, anyway- I'm weird like that :p ) and great for long car trips.

I'll probably save up and get it... usually here there about £10 to £15 which isn't too much... but I need to save up money for other stuff. Sometimes Bulbapedia goes down and Serebii is hard to use with some things, and sometimes my Internet dies, so having a guidebook is helpful for those one-off things.

Although it better have some artwork pages in it... xD

I usually buy the guide but this time I'll pass. It's more fun when it's a bit of a surprise, I know GS like the back of my hand, and I have the original guide. Plus last time I got one my friend borrowed it and accidentally killed his sister's turtle with it.

I'm almost afraid to ask. Almost. How did your friend kill his sister's turtle with a pokemon guidebook? Overexposure to incompetence?

I bought the Platinum one, and I have also reserved this one. I find finding the answers in the published guides to be more efficient than turning my computer on for just a few simple questions. Ntm, websites don't last quite as long... I could end up deciding to play these games in 50 years with these websites no longer existing.

I'm almost afraid to ask. Almost. How did your friend kill his sister's turtle with a pokemon guidebook? Overexposure to incompetence?

Well, he left it lopsided on the shelf above it's habitat, which is by the wall... the guide came down and landed on the inside-right wall of the habitat, causing not only the guide to become soaked with water, but the flipping motion to send the turtle (who was at the very back for maximum leverage) to go flying out of the habitat and crash into the wall at high speeds. Then he exploded.

Last edited:
All right, spoilered. I don't want to spoil the ending of Gen V for anyone XD

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom