• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The official NHL 2010 Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Reaction score
Matkin, you're barred from posting here due to ongoing Leafsitude. Chose a reasonable team and we'll talk :-D

Al, the Wings are dead to me for having failed to beat the Flyers (which would have all but ensured the Habs would get their playoffs spot).

Otherwise...come on on, come on in, with regular season almost over the most exciting part of the year has already begun - many teams want in those 16 playoff spots, but not so many will make it, and only one can win the Stanley Cup :-D

Of course...

GO HABS GO

Remember what happened the last time you wrote the Wings' obituary?

Dead to me isn't an obituary. It just means I'm really pissed at them. They were supposed to win that game!

Their playoff chances aren't all bad, though they're not who I'm rooting for in the West (Chicago, of course)

See? That's reasonable! :p

So it's down to the wire in the East. It's the final week-end, and any of four teams could occupy the final three slots in the East, and any of these four same teams could fail to make the playoffs.

6. Boston has two games left to play, 87 points, and 37 victories.
7. Montreal has one game left to play, 87 points and 39 victories.
8. New York has one game left to play, 86 points and 38 victories.
9. Philadelphia has one game left to play, 86 points and 40 victories.

If Montreal make at least one point (overtime loss or win) against Toronto Saturday evening, they're in.
If Boston make at least one point (overtime loss or win) against either Carolina Saturday or Washington Sunday, they're in.

That leaves the most important game, sunday between New York and Philadelphia.

IF New York beats Philadelphia without going to overtime, then:
New York, Montreal and Boston are in the playoffs.

IF Philadelphia beats New York without going to overtime, then:
Philadelphia, Montreal and Boston are in the playoffs.

If Philadelphia beats New York IN OVERTIME, then:
-If Boston has gained at least one point in its two games: Philadelphia, Montreal and Boston make the playoffs.
-If Boston has gained no point in its last two games: Philadelphia, Montreal and New York are in the playoffs.

If New York beats Philadelphia in overtime, then:
-If neither Montreal nor Boston has gained any point: Montreal, New York and Philadelphia are in the playoffs.
-If Montreal has at least one point and Boston, none: Montreal, New York and Philadelphia are in the playoffs.
-If Boston has at least one point and Montreal, none: New York, Philadelphia and Boston are in the playoffs.
-If both Boston and Montreal have at least one point: New York, Boston and Montreal are in the playoffs.

Oh shaddap :p

We're 4-out-of-5 for walking out of games against you with at least one point this season. The odds are...merely mildly scary.

Well, Boston is now qualified (having won the first of their two games). So it's down to Montreal, New York or Philadelphia for "Who will miss the boat".

LA lost in a shootout to Edmonton. Detroit can clinch 5th with a win in Chicago tomorrow or an LA loss for their finale.

Montreal lose, but in overtime, so they get that crucial point and are qualified too.

New York v Philadelphia only really matters for these two.

Detroit vs. Chicago and New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia look to be the big games today. The city of San Jose is donning the Wing Nuts because a Detroit victory over Chicago clinches the Western Conference for the Sharks and the Red Wings clinch 5th place. Everyone is where they're going to be for the post season in the Eastern Conference except for the Rangers and Fliers who play for the last playoff spot. A pretty exciting end to the regular season.

Nope, there's still Buffalo vs New Jersey for 2nd/3rd in the East.

Nope, there's still Buffalo vs New Jersey for 2nd/3rd in the East.
The Kings are also playing for 5th or 6th seed depending on the outcome in Chicago.

Oh. If the Red Wings win and/or the Penguins lose, Detroit clinches home ice in a threepeat.

EDIT: Well, it's all set in the west.

Colorado(8) vs. San Jose (1)
Nashville (7) vs. Chicago (2)
Los Angeles (6) vs. Vancouver (3)
Detroit (5) vs. Phoenix (4)

Last edited:
And in the east. I'm almost thankful to Philadelphia for edging past us: I'd MUCH rather face Washington than New Jersey, personally.

Montreal (8) v Washington (1)
Philadelphia (7) v New Jersey (2)
Boston (6) v Buffalo (3)
Ottawa (5) v Pittsburgh (4)

Colorado(8) vs. San Jose (1)
Nashville (7) vs. Chicago (2)
Los Angeles (6) vs. Vancouver (3)
Detroit (5) vs. Phoenix (4)

IN THE REGULAR SEASON...

East:
Montreal and Washington played four times against each other. Each team won two games; Washington gets the tiebreakers (goal against each other) 15-14.
Philadelphia and New Jersey played six times against each other; Philadelphia has the overwhelming advantage 5-1.
Boston and Buffalo played six times against each other. Boston has the advantage 4-2.
Ottawa and Pittsburgh played four times against each other. Each team won two games; Pittsburgh gets the tiebreaker 15-13.

West:
Colorado and San Jose played four times against each other. Each team won two games; Colorado has the tiebreaker 14-13.
Nashville and Chicago played six times against each other. Chicago has the advantage 4-2.
Los Angeles and Vancouver played four times against each other. Vancouver has the advantage 3-1.
Detroit and Phoenix played two times against each other. Each team won two games; Detroit has the tiebreaker 13-11.

Last edited:
Am I allowed to post in here yet?

My picks for the first round, all of which are likely to be blatantly wrong since they're based on the teams who I want to win and my gut instinct as to how long that it will take them:

Montreal in 6
Philadelphia in 6
Buffalo in 5
Pittsburgh in 5

Colorado in 7
Chicago in 6
Vancouver in 6
Phoenix in 4

Last edited:
Washington 5
Philadelphia 7
Buffalo 6
Pittsburgh 5

Colorado 6
Chicago 5
Vancouver 7
Detroit 6

Wings and Avs final leading into a threepeat for Stanley would be my dream playoffs.

Last edited:
My prediction:

Washington in 5 (or MAYBE Montreal in 7)
New Jersey in 7
Boston in 5
Ottawa in 6

Colorado in 7
Chicago in 6
Vancouver in 5
Detroit in 6

EDIT: ON second thought...I'll go against the grain and go New Jersey in 7.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom