• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News The Official Pokemon Company Makes a Contemplation of Ash's League Loses

Well, at least the footnote isn't too bad.

"As you can see, Ash may not yet be a Champion, but he's a master of determination if nothing else. (And we do have to give him some credit for winning the Orange League and the Battle Frontier—not quite the same as a regional Pokémon League tournament, but still impressive.)"

But seriously, wow. That's harsh.

I thought it was a great article. Lol...

My nephews still don't know Ash won the league. They're in middle school and high school so if they happened to read this article, it may hype them up.

If this wasn't meant to be published, it would have been removed by now. I suspect this is just TPCi's attempt to get fans to re-visit the older seasons before the new one starts. They might also be hoping to gain traction for its bizarre jab against it's protagonist, which clearly didn't hit the mark if basing it off the reactions here.

Last edited:
If this wasn't from the official Pokemon website, I would have sworn that this was from a fan still bitter about Ash losing the Kalos League and/or upset that he hadn't won a game related region league yet. The titles, dismissing all of Ash's accomplishments and even the Underpowered in Unova title just sound like something fans would do instead of something officially published by TPCI. It's just so weird. The Shame of Sinnoh is especially bad considering he was basically the honorary runner up as the only trainer to defeat Darkrai. I hate how they brush aside the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier victories. Saying that they aren't as impressive as winning a regional tournament is a bunch of nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The Orange League wasn't a traditional regional tournament, but it was still a League so it does count. And dismissing the Battle Frontier is especially ridiculous. Yeah, it wasn't a League, but it was only allowed for certain already skilled trainers to compete in. I think Frontier Brains were supposed to between a Gym Leader and Elite 4 member in terms of strength, but that might of have more of a theory as opposed to something officially confirmed. More importantly, Ash getting the chance to become a Frontier Brain is a much bigger reward than just winning a trophy. Trophies are cool and all, but Ash basically got the chance to join the Frontier Brains. But because it wasn't a regional tournament, it isn't as impressive. Forget that nonsense.

I guess it is an attempt to create more buzz and excitement for the Alola League, especially when they'll probably have a big update when the dub gets to Ash's victory, but it's such a strange way to go about it. Not only because of how social media, including the official Pokemon Twitter account, already made it clear that Ash wish the Alola League, but listing all of Ash's defeats as failures and underplaying his accomplishments is just so bizarre. They're belittling the main character of the Pokemon anime in an article on their official website. It is just too strange to make me feel anything other than confusion and frustration, mainly in regards to brushing off Ash's accomplishments simply because he didn't win. Fans already act like stuff like the Orange League, Battle Frontier and slowly increasing in rank during previous Leagues don't mean anything. We don't need TPCI encouraging that event further.

If this wasn't from the official Pokemon website, I would have sworn that this was from a fan still bitter about Ash losing the Kalos League and/or upset that he hadn't won a game related region league yet. The titles, dismissing all of Ash's accomplishments and even the Underpowered in Unova title just sound like something fans would do instead of something officially published by TPCI. It's just so weird. The Shame of Sinnoh is especially bad considering he was basically the honorary runner up as the only trainer to defeat Darkrai. I hate how they brush aside the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier victories. Saying that they aren't as impressive as winning a regional tournament is a bunch of nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The Orange League wasn't a traditional regional tournament, but it was still a League so it does count. And dismissing the Battle Frontier is especially ridiculous. Yeah, it wasn't a League, but it was only allowed for certain already skilled trainers to compete in. I think Frontier Brains were supposed to between a Gym Leader and Elite 4 member in terms of strength, but that might of have more of a theory as opposed to something officially confirmed. More importantly, Ash getting the chance to become a Frontier Brain is a much bigger reward than just winning a trophy. Trophies are cool and all, but Ash basically got the chance to join the Frontier Brains. But because it wasn't a regional tournament, it isn't as impressive. Forget that nonsense.
The article feeling so fannish makes me think it was either written by someone who watched the show when they were younger and is still following the old memes or someone older trying to copy the memes in that sort of awkward corporate way you sometimes see. I'm leaning towards the former, though.

An official source doing it's best to downplay it's main character is definitely weird.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom