• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

Tyrunt (Tyrantrum later on)
Brave nature
Strong Jaw
Perfect IV's in HP, ATK, DEF, Sp. ATK and Sp. DEF
EV trained mostly in ATK and DEF

Moves:
Earthquake
Crunch
Stealth Rock
Dragon Claw

Please rate this

There's virtually no reason to run brave tyrunt, it doesn't really pack enough Sp. Attack to be a notable mixed attacker, not to mention its shallow special movepool. Tyrantrum's main niche is it's access to both Dragon Dance and Rock Polish, along with powerful elemental Fangs and powerful rock moves like Stone Edge and Head Smash. For a good moveset I'd consider:

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
-Stone Edge
-Fire Fang/Earthquake
-Thunder Fang
-Dragon Dance/Rock Polish

I personally go with Adamant because it's speed tier isn't too considerable to beat anything too important (maybe Weavile idk) and Adamant can help maximize damage output, and your major concern with Tyrantrum is its weaknesses to almost all forms of priority, hurting its longevity and its overall usability in OU. The ability to check and set up on Talonflame is pretty nice though, and if you can manage to take out priority users in Scizor/Breloom, then Tyrantrum could prove to be a pretty good late game sweeper. This is coming from the top of my head, but I hope this helps :)

Mega Aggron
Adamant
IV 31,31,31,31,31,?
EV HP 72 A 228 SP.D 200
Rock Polish
Iron Head
Power-up Punch
Substitute

Plan to use bulk to setup sup, rock polish, power up punch and sweep.

Last edited:
Aggron cannot effectively sweep with Steel's subpar coverage. He needs Earthquake and also either Stone Edge or Ice Punch, so Pup and Substitute are nonviable. He's still terrifying with that +2 Speed, but he needs his counters to be softened as he doesn't have the moveslots to run a boosting move and muscle through them.

Aggron cannot effectively sweep with Steel's subpar coverage. He needs Earthquake and also either Stone Edge or Ice Punch, so Pup and Substitute are nonviable. He's still terrifying with that +2 Speed, but he needs his counters to be softened as he doesn't have the moveslots to run a boosting move and muscle through them.

I thought I could use his incredible bulk to survive and boost speed and power up punch to crush anything that isn't 4x resistant to steel or fighting. one rockpolish and a power punch and aggron would be 272 speed and 615 or 820 with 2 punches that is going to do damage even resisted.

Last edited:
Iron Head lacks base power and PuP is laughably weak as a coverage move. Aggron needs SE hits to work effectively, and is also 3HKOed by most Special Attackers even with SDef investment and max HP so yours would likely get 2HKOed by most things.

So change to attack/speed investment go with EQ/Iron head/rock polish/Dragon tail/ I was hopping Filter would have made him more durable. Plus I liked the 30% flinch.

Last edited:
So change to attack/speed investment go with EQ/Iron head/rock polish/Dragon tail/ I was hopping Filter would have made him more durable. Plus I liked the 30% flinch.

Filter does make him stupid durable on the physical side and let's him live at least 1 good hit on the Spwcial side, but it can't be relied on because he doesn't have reliable recovery. Also never use Dragon Tail on a speedy sweeper, it has -6 priority - use Stone Edge or Ice Punch or Head Smash.

I'm pretty new to competive battling when it comes to first hand experiance. Here is one of the best (or the best, I think...) Pokemon I have trained out of my amazing grand total of 12 Pokemon! So here.

197.png

Umbreon
Level: 100
Moves: Bite, Toxic, Substitute, Wish
Ability: Synchronize
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
IVs: 31 HP/ 31 Atk/ 31 Def/ 24 Sp. Atk/ 31 Sp. Def/ 16 Speed
EVs: 36 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Def, 216 Sp. Def

Basically, it's suppose to be a Wall sort of Umbreon. I was thinking Moonlight instead of Wish, because of instant recovery, and also because Espeon being able to learn Morning Sun, but I found out that Wish+Substitute (not Substitute+Wish), is better. With Wish+Substitute, I can use Wish, then heal on the next turn when I forfeit HP to put up my Substitute. Toxic is pretty much self-explanatory, I try to Poison the opposing Pokemon, then stall them out. Bite, is well, my Attacking move. I use it basically for the Flinch chance if the opponent is slower then me. I know Foul Play would be better, but I bred this in Gen VI, so Umbreon can't learn it. The six EVs in Attack are there so my Umbreon can be a cut above other Umbreon offensively. The Nature and Defense EVs are there to be able to be able to tank from the Physical side as well good as the Special side, and to match them or whatever. The HP is to be able to last longer as well, I don't want it to end up like a Shuckle, low HP but amazing Defenses!

So yeah. What do you guys think?:)

252 HP is desired, so your EV spread would be ideal with 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef since you're Impish. Because Umbreon's damage output is laughable and he's not outspeeding much, Baton Pass should be used to let you pass your Substitutes along and switch second so your frail sweepers can get a free switch in. You can of course use Curse over Toxic for a full-on BP set, but just passing Subs is helpful enough to warrant BP over Bite.

"Inevitability"
Sylveon @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature / 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP / Pixilate
- Curse
- Wish
- Protect
- Last Resort

Pixilate turns Normal-type moves into Fairy and increases their power by 30%, so that 140 BP Normal Last Resort becomes a 182 BP Fairy move, which thus gets STAB to become a powerhouse 273. And that's without factoring in the 30% boost from the Life Orb or the 50% Attack boost from the Curse. And Sylveon actually has the bulk to survive the setup, and since WishTect is part of that setup, even if she's hit with a STAB super-effective Steel or Poison move, she should survive it handily.

I have no doubt that this Sylveon build could solo the Elite Four. My question is, what's the viability in competetive online battling? I don't really have any experience there.

Obvs, Taunt would stop the setup dead in its tracks, so you may not want to lead with Inevitability, however, checking Smogon, all Sylveon builds use Cute Charm -- Pixilate has been entirely dismissed. So since people won't be expecting this build, your opponents may not think to Taunt.

Also, even if your opponent does Taunt-block you, it's not like that ruins the mon. Sylveon has plenty enough bulk that if you get blocked, you can just switch out, continue on with the match, and bring her back in later to try again. And since very few team builds include multiple Taunters, once you kill your opponent's Taunter you're probably home free.

Opinions?

Terrible set. Trump Card is only 140 BP when it has 1 PP left. It starts out at 40. There are much better Sylveon sets than this.

Terrible set. Trump Card is only 140 BP when it has 1 PP left. It starts out at 40. There are much better Sylveon sets than this.

??

I think you're confused. My set uses Last Resort, not Trump Card.

Its still a terrible set regardless. Sylveon likely wouldn't live long enough to see the Last Resort through. Band Scizor or Life Orb Aegislash decimates it before it even uses Curse.

??

Its still a terrible set regardless. Sylveon likely wouldn't live long enough to see the Last Resort through. Band Scizor or Life Orb Aegislash decimates it before it even uses Curse.

Well that's a silly argument. If Band Scizor and LO Aegislash will kill it before its first move, then it doesn't matter what its moveset is, and could never be used against those mons. Therefore, you must discount them and only consider its effectiveness against other mons, and never ever send it out against Sci or Aegis.

??

Well that's a silly argument. If Band Scizor and LO Aegislash will kill it before its first move, then it doesn't matter what its moveset is, and could never be used against those mons. Therefore, you must discount them and only consider its effectiveness against other mons, and never ever send it out against Sci or Aegis.

Sorry let me rephrase that. Any Pokemon with a high attack attacking with a physically super effective move would destroy Sylveon before it even uses Curse. This set requires so much set up that its not worth it. A good rule of thumb is if it takes more than two turns to set up don't run it.

??

Sorry let me rephrase that. Any Pokemon with a high attack attacking with a physically super effective move would destroy Sylveon before it even uses Curse. This set requires so much set up that its not worth it. A good rule of thumb is if it takes more than two turns to set up don't run it.

My response stands -- "any physically super effective move would OHKO Sylveon before it could even use one move" is an argument against Sylveon, not the set.

FYI, you're not being helpful. You can't just say "that's bad." You have to suggest how to improve it.

What if the set had different EVs? HP 252 / Def 252 / Atk 4? That way it wouldn't be utterly destroyed by physical SE attackers, and the massive BP boosts from Pixilate / LO / Curse to Last Resort would still give decent damage.

??

My response stands -- "any physically super effective move would OHKO Sylveon before it could even use one move" is an argument against Sylveon, not the set.

FYI, you're not being helpful. You can't just say "that's bad." You have to suggest how to improve it.

What if the set had different EVs? HP 252 / Def 252 / Atk 4? That way it wouldn't be utterly destroyed by physical SE attackers, and the massive BP boosts from Pixilate / LO / Curse to Last Resort would still give decent damage.

Last Resort would be better on a set where Sylveon is not only running support moves, but moves that can help ward off Pokemon that can potentially beat Sylveon to a pulp. Something like 3 Attack, Leftovers, Protect Sylveon would be best if you even consider running Last Resort.

Last Resort is crap in competitive play. Try Hyper Voice instead. Return if you really really really want to go physical, but I don't recommend it.

Last Resort would be better on a set where Sylveon is not only running support moves, but moves that can help ward off Pokemon that can potentially beat Sylveon to a pulp. Something like 3 Attack, Leftovers, Protect Sylveon would be best if you even consider running Last Resort.

Without Life Orb there's no point in using Last Resort. Pixilate's great, but not enough. Good point about using multiple attack moves, though -- that way, I can't be ruined with Taunt.

Ground is super effective against both Poison and Steel, but Sylveon only has access to Dig. Or HP Ground, of course, but that's Special and this is a Physical set. Of course, Wish/Dig isn't a bad combo. No Fire or Fighting moves, and only Synchronoise for Psychic, so looks like Dig is it. Maybe Curse/Wish/Dig/LastResort.

Last Resort is crap in competitive play. Try Hyper Voice instead. Return if you really really really want to go physical, but I don't recommend it.

The point is that Sylveon is the first Pokemon ever that has the remotest potential to make good use of Last Resort, which as you said, is otherwise useless.

Plus, there's always value in running an unexpected set. Prediction wins more battles than stats alone.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom