• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
Welcome, everybody, to The Lost Tower's forbidden Travelog! Want to keep everyone updated on all your latest happenings on the older games? This is the place. Have you finally captured the coveted Mewtwo? Did successfully recruit Lugia on your growing Rescue Team? Or have you discovered the mysterious Sevii Islands, far off the coast of the Kanto region? Tell us here!

I'll start: I've been exploring the Sevii Islands again in my FireRed version. After taking care of Team Rocket on Four Island, I went ahead back to Kanto and caught Articuno and Zapdos. Now I'm planning on defeating the rest of the Rockets left on the Five Island, and after that, catching Moltres.

Last edited:
Re: Older Games: Trainer's Travelog

I recently got Green. No matter how old that game is, it is a very fun game. I am currently trying to get through Mt. Moon.

Recently completed Blue with Raichu, Exeggutor, Pigeot, Gyrados, Nidoking and Charizard... I forgot how much fun I gt from generation one. I've started yellow there recently and have a pikachu lv 14, Spearow lv 11 and a mankey lv 14 and Mt Moon is the next obstacle. Starting these games again have been great... recently my dog ate my heartgold version with 5 years of pokemon from saphire, leafgreen and diamond all destroyed so its good to start afresh

Although my main focus is White, I've been playing a bit of Emerald to the side. I beat the Master Rank Beauty Contest with my Mudkip and I'm doing a bit of EV training with a Milotic.

I am just now starting my Dunsparce-only run in HeartGold.

Wish me luck.

I recently finished leveling up the Legendary Birds to 100 and transfered them safely to Pokemon Stadium 2, as they will be getting Gen 2 moves as soon as I get some parts that are on order to help with restoring those games.

In the meantime, I did the Mew Glitch and will be leveling up a Level 7 Mew to 100 on Yellow right now. In preparation for its future in Gen 2, I've already taught it Softboiled so it can have a recovery move. Then have it learn Psychic, transfer it to a Gen 2 game and teach it Return, and then beat Gym Leader Castle in Stadium 2 so I can have the Move Remember teach it AncientPower.

Yeah, I have a lot of work ahead of me...

I'm playing Red version at the moment. When I booted it up, I found that I had last saved in Mt. Moon, and I had a level 15 Charmander, a level 13 Pikachu, a level 13 Pidgey, a level 9 Paras, and a level 9 Magikarp.

Went through Mt. Moon with semi-great difficulty, made it out, evolving Charmander in the process. Destroyed Nugget Bridge, caught an Abra, and did the Mew Trick, scoring myself a Mew. Then I did this again, only I beat Misty, which had me encounter a Missingno. And I had made sure to move the Rare Candies I had found to the 6th slot.

I opened with Pikachu's Thunder Wave, then chucked some Poké Balls. Not surprisingly, each and every ball missed the Missingno. I was afraid to attack it, though, because I know it's easy enough to OHKO a level 146 Missingno. with a level 36 Magmar. This Missingno. was level 7, and my team at this point was around the level 15-17 mark. And I was down to five Poké Balls. Looking at the stats of the rest of my team, I figured my best shot was Magikarp's Tackle. So I send in Magikarp, but chicken out initially. Initially, I spam Splash. Partly because I love the Generation I sound effect for Splash, and partly because I was hoping Missingno. would deplete the PP for its moves and take some Struggle damage. Eventually, though, I chose Tackle. Sure enough, it takes about three quarters of Missingno.'s health away. I use a Poké Ball. It wobbles once, and Missingno. breaks out. The same happens for the next one. And the next one. I'm down to two at this point. I use one more...

...And successfully catch Missingno.! Due to the fact that my previous messings around with the Mew Glitch included a Cubone encounter, Missingno.'s dex entry did not show up (thank Arceus, because if it had, Missingno. would've become a friggin' Rhydon!). I swap out Abra for Missingno., and use my newly cloned Rare Candies to get everything up to level 20, evolving Magikarp and Pidgey in the process. Then I start using some TMs, including teaching Missingno. Mega Punch.

I continue on to Bill's house, trying out my newest teammate. Missingno. did surprisingly well. Mega Punch quickly became its most useful attack, as Sky Attack needs to charge beforehand (and Missingno. can't afford that), and its two Water Guns run off its fail Special stat. I collect the S.S. Ticket and go on to Vermilion City. I get the bike voucher, exchange for the bicycle, battle a few trainers on the S.S. Anne, and use more Rare Candies. This time I bring everything to level 25, Paras evolving in the process.

Team:
Missingno. lv. 25
Mega Punch
Sky Attack
Water Gun
Water Gun

Gyarados lv. 25
Bubblebeam
Body Slam
Bite
Splash

Parasect lv. 25
Scratch
Stun Spore
Dig
Leech Life

Pidgeotto lv. 25
Quick Attack
Gust
Sand-Attack
Bide

Pikachu lv. 25
ThunderShock
Thunder Wave
Quick Attack
Growl

Charmeleon lv. 25
Ember
Rage
Growl
Leer

Continuing on, I pretty much breezed through the game, giving sporadic level-ups with Rare Candies. Eventually I made it to Cinnabar Island. I Fly to Viridian City, watch the coffee man do his thing, and Fly back to Cinnabar, put the Rare Candies in the 6th slot (I was running low), and start surfing up and down. And what is the first thing I find?

A level 132 MEWTWO! My initial thought of "Oh, lord, I'm screwed" fades away as I realize that Mewtwo at these levels know Barrier, Amnesia, Recover, and Mist. No attacking moves. Unfortunately, it seems that wild Pokemon don't lose PP for attacking. I am having the WORST time trying to weaken the damn thing. I'm chucking Great Balls at random intervals, all of which miss the damn thing. And it keeps using Recover, which irritates me, as my team was in the mid to high thirties at this point, and it had maxed out Defense and Special already. Then I throw another Great Ball, and miraculously, catch the damn thing. At that point I haul ass over to Silph Co., boot out Team Rocket and get the Master Ball. I go back to the Cinnabar coast and finally find a level 146 Missingno., who gladly clones the Rare Candies. I then find another one (albeit at level 80 with Dragonair's cry) for cloning the Master Ball. Now I'm catching all the Mewtwo I'm coming across. At one point, I clone the TM15 I got from the Game Corner, and remember that Missingno. can't learn Hyper Beam under normal circumstances. So I deposit Missingno. in the PC and view its stats. I withdraw it and it's become half-Rhydon. This trick works on any non-hybrid Glitch Pokemon, and turns them into a Rhydon hybrid. It has the species name, sprite, types, and TM compatibility of a Rhydon, but the stats of what it used to be. I teach "Rhydon" Hyper Beam, then leave it at the daycare and take it back (the only way I know of to turn it back into its true form). Now my Missingno. knows Hyper Beam.

Unfortunately, even after Rare Candying my team to level 50, this does not make the high-level beasts on the Cinnabar coast any easier to defeat. I'm finding level 128 Golbat, the aforementioned Mewtwo, Missingno., and strangely enough, level 80 Golduck. No 'M, though.

Missingno. lv. 53
Hyper Beam
Sky Attack
Water Gun
Teleport

Pidgeot lv. 53
Fly
Hyper Beam
Bide
Sand-Attack

Raichu lv. 53
Thunderbolt
Hyper Beam
Thunder Wave
Flash

Parasect lv. 53
Cut
Spore
Dig
Leech Life (may replace with Mega Drain)

Gyarados lv. 53
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Strength

Charizard lv. 53
Flamethrower
Slash
Growl
Leer

As you can tell, it's still a work in progress at this point. I still have Saffron, Cinnabar, and Viridian Gyms left. Charizard needs some more attacks desparately. I'm thinking of letting it learn Fire Spin, as Wrap and all variants are actually decent attacks in these games.

With a mustache.

Last edited:

I'm currently playing through Crystal again, and god it's fun. It's just so enjoyable having a change of pace from the new games.

I currently have...

Quilava
Wooper
Zubat (RAGE)
Togepi (probably will get rid of)
Unknown egg???
Machop

It's all really fun though and I'm up to Whitney (stupid Miltank).

Been playing on my red version lately. I recently caught a level 132 Haunter on the coast of cinnabar. Really wish I could trade that thing with someone and have a beefcake gengar.

And I've actually been training my pokemanz without rare candies. I have been pumping them full of vitamins and such though. I'm at the elite four now, and my team is:

Charizard - Level 59
Slash
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Aerodactyl - Level 56
Bite
Swift
Fly
Hyper Beam

Gyarados - Level 56
Ice Beam
Surf
Body Slam
Hyper Beam

Starmie - Level 56
Surf
Ice Beam
Psychic
Thunderbolt

"Dux" - Level 63
Slash
Fly
Swift
Swords Dance

Raichu - Level 56
Thunderbolt
Body Slam
Quick Attack
Thunder Wave

....why can't aero learn rock slide?

Just bought Crystal today and I'm playing through that. My current team is:
Totodile (Lyle) Lv.10, Spearow (Speary) Lv.4, and Geodude (Broulder) Lv.4.

Just bought Crystal today and I'm playing through that. My current team is:
Totodile (Lyle) Lv.10, Spearow (Speary) Lv.4, and Geodude (Broulder) Lv.4.

HOpe the battery is new and holds out! I've read reports that those carts are slowly dying due to age.

I'm playing yellow again.
I now need to beat Misty so that I can put Pikachu to rot in the PC box.I hate it as it doesn't want to evolve.I also have a Pidgeotto,Nidoking and a Clefairy already,so I don't need Pikachu at all.

I'm working on Ruby right now, with my team as:

Aggron
Manectric
Swampert
Sealeo (Walrein next level)
Camerupt
Gardevoir

Seven badges, working my way slowly through all of the water routes.

I just started Gold again. However, I cheated.

I used my two Gameboys and my copy of Silver to trade in two starters.

So I actually started with Chikorita (but I boxed it) and then I traded in a Cyndaquil and a Totodile from my Silver copy.

I'm going to do a two mon run all the way through to Red himself. It'll be boss.

I put my Crystal Game on hold after backing it up to the Mega Memory Card now that I've cleared the 150 Pokemon rule for Stadium 2. I'm currently trying to complete the R-2 cups so I can unlock Dodrio Mode for the Gen. 2 titles.

Stupid Challenge Cup is proving to be the biggest hurdle of them all so far. I could care less about Gym Leader Castle or the Rival now.

I'm restarting my emerald and im gonna start with treecko. Then im gonna restart my firered after i beat emerald. im trying to get all the 'mons on 'em

I've moved my Trainer Log to a personal blog called "Dragoon's Crystal Adventures". Click the Pokemon in my signature to go straight to it.

soft reseted for a shiny charmander two days ago and i am still going. no luck yet but will keep on going!

I'm gonna restart my FireRed and start with Squirtle. I intend to have Butterfree and Beedrill on my team, and generally try to use some of the more underrated Pokemon that a lot of people don't give a second thought. The last addition to my team is probably going to be a Weezing. I still need a Flying-type, though, and I'm thinking Dodrio. Last but not least, I'm considering Snorlax.

Of course, I could start with Charmander instead and replace Dodrio with something else... Maybe I'll do that. Maybe an Arbok. I'll keep you all posted.

EDIT: As promised, I started with a Charmander, raised a Beedrill and a Butterfree, but that's where the similarities to my earlier plans ended. I decided to catch a male Nidoran and use that, and in the process, found a Jigglypuff, went "aw, what the hell?" and caught and used it. My sixth team member wasn't added until Cerulean City, but it turned out to be a Pikachu I had caught in Viridian Forest. I had replaced my entire team with the level 5 Pikachu and was challenging the Nugget Bridge's Team Rocket Grunt repeatedly for extra nuggets. At one point, I actually thought Pikachu might not lose, as it managed to get in a good amount of Thundershocks, and had paralyzed Ekans. It did lose, of course, but I think it was at that point where it occurred to me to use Pikachu on my team permanently. Ultimately proved to be a really good decision on my part, as I'll detail shortly. Now, to detail every moment of my journey thus far would take up far too much of my time, so instead right now, I'll merely detail the gym battles.

Pewter Gym:
In the first battle, Butterfree handled Geodude, then Onix swept the whole team. In the rematch, Butterfree handled Geodude, but not before getting in no fewer than five Hardens, so Onix's Rock Tomb didn't even 2HKO. In a stroke of luck, however, Butterfree leveled up and learned PoisonPowder after beating Geodude- the original plan was to try to use Beedrill's Poison Sting to poison Onix, but now, Beedrill didn't even participate in the battle. Butterfree poisoned Onix, then bombarded it with alternating Confusions and String Shots. The String Shots were to make sure that Charmeleon could still outrun it after a Rock Tomb or two. After Butterfree had fallen, it had done so well that Charmeleon needed only use but a single Ember attack.

Cerulean Gym:
In the first battle, Pikachu took down Staryu, then Starmie outsped the entire team and swept with Water Pulse (when it didn't OHKO, it induced Confusion. Every. Single. Time. I took the opportunity to get in a bit of impromptu EV training, boosting Pikachu's Speed a bit, and leveling it up as well. As it turned out, Starmie still outsped Pikachu in the rematch, but this time, Water Pulse didn't OHKO, and Pikachu was still able to get off a Thunder Wave! Pikachu took it down to slightly under half with a couple of Thundershocks before being KO'd, then Wigglytuff finished the whole thing with Mega Kick.

Vermilion Gym:
Only took one battle. Beedrill swept Surge's team with Twineedle.

My team, at the moment, is as follows (I'm currently in the Team Rocket hideout in Celadon City, but I've already beaten all the trainers in Celadon Gym, and the Channelers in Pokemon Tower);

Beedrill (male) lv. 28
Hasty nature
Twineedle
Cut
Brick Break
Aerial Ace

Beedrill's never been considered a good Pokemon, and not without reason, either. But any Pokemon that can sweep Lt. Surge with ease, without being overleveled, has gotta be worth something. And this one certainly is.

Charmeleon (male) lv. 29
Naive nature
Ember
Metal Claw
Rock Slide
Smokescreen

I'm debating at the moment whether to wait for him to learn Flamethrower on its own, or to use my coins to get a TM for the move. As soon as he evolves into Charizard, he's learning Fly.

Raichu (male) lv. 29
Gentle nature
Thunderbolt
Quick Attack
Dig
Thunder Wave

A decidedly late addition to my team, though I caught him early on. As a Pikachu, his first gym battle wasn't actually Cerulean Gym. The first time I battled Brock, I had forgotten to deposit Pikachu in the PC. So yeah. Level 5 Pikachu against an Onix. Take a wild guess as to how that went. But obviously, he more than redeemed himself against Misty.

Wigglytuff (male) lv. 28
Quirky nature
Mega Kick
Water Pulse
Sing
Shock Wave

Wigglytuff is by no means my strongest Pokemon, but he holds his own. Definitely has STAB Mega Kick going for him. And the versatility with the TMs doesn't exactly hurt. Right now, he's my best weapon against Onix and the Geodude line.

Butterfree (male) lv. 28
Timid nature
Flash
Dream Eater
Gust
Sleep Powder

Laugh if you will, but Sleep Powder and Dream Eater is a winning combination, at least in-game, anyway. And Compoundeyes-boosted Sleep Powder is certainly nothing to laugh at. I intend to make him forget Flash at my earliest opportunity.

Nidoking (male) lv. 28
Docile nature
Mega Punch
Double Kick
Peck
Focus Energy

Note to self- buy a Brick Break TM and teach it to Nidoking. Nidoking does pretty well, though he'll undoubtedly do better once I replace some of those iffy moves. Not Mega Punch, though. Love that move.

With a mustache.

Last edited:

I've been playing a combination of Blue and Crystal versions, working on trying to complete the Pokedex in both. But I've been focusing more on Blue version and am a lot farther in it, I already beat the Elite 4 some time ago and am working towards completion again. I'm currently at 88 out of 151, and will be saving Mewtwo as the last one to catch. And before anyone asks, yes I did catch Mew via the Mew glitch a long time ago. I'm currently waiting for some people to answer my question about the Moon Stone in the Pokemon Mansion before I continue...

My progress in Crystal... I haven't been keeping track of my caught Pokemon in there really, but I am at Olivine's Light House. The Odd Egg that I had obtained some days ago had hatched into a normal Elekid, which was exactly the kind of Pokemon I was hoping for. So I'm happy for that.

If anyone's interested, my full team in Blue are Venusaur, Raichu, Dewgong, Rhydon, Dodrio and Hypno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom