• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went through the Pokemon League in Crystal a while ago become Johto League Champion once again. This might by my first relatively balanced Johto team so I've grown to really like it. Presenting Champion Tina's Hall of Fame entry:

Ash Williams (Typhlosion) M Lv 45 Charcoal
-Swift, Thunderpunch, Smokescreen, Fire Punch

Rumble (Golem) F Lv 45 Soft Sand
-Strength, Selfdestruct, Rollout, Earthquake

Dandy (Jumpluff) F Lv 44 Miracle Seed
-Leech Seen, Sleep Powder, Headbutt, Mega Drain

Kamehameha (Slowking) M Lv 45 Quick Claw
-Ice Beam, Headbutt, Confusion, Surf

Havoc (Heracross) M Lv 44 King's Rock
-Fury Attack, Reversal, Strength, Fury Cutter

Batso (Crobat) M Lv 45 Sharp Beak
-Fly, Wing Attack, Bite, Confuse Ray

Ash Williams is an Evil Dead reference routed through Pokemon Golder. Quilava tends to lag behind in power until it finally evolves because of this games level curve which means it'll probably evolve around the sixth through eighth gym depending on usage. I recently learned that Typhlosion gets Thunderpunch also courtesy of Golder which works fantastically with its stat spread and gave me the drive to use it again.

Like I mentioned before if I use the Geodude line at any point in the game I might just take it with me to the end. Good attack and defense stats along with great offensive typing make is a real good campaign Pokemon. It does well against most of the gyms (Flying, Bug, Normal, Ghost aka Poison, Steel, and Ice if you're faster) and the league (Poison, most of Karen, and Dragon aka Flying).

Dandy I originally used as my catcher but it was pulling its weight well and leveled up along with the rest of my team so I decided to take him all the way. Comparatively he has the weakest attacking stats and moves on the team but I managed to make very good use of his strengths. Immobilize, seed, and disrupt the foe is the way to go.

Didn't really plan on which Water-type to use but Slowpoke is good not matter which way you go. I've had a name for Slowking stashed away for a while now so what better time than now. The nickname is simply taken from the Hawaiian king Kamehameha V. Standard STAB and Ice coverage befitting a Water-type.

Originally I was put off by Heracross's lack of STAB but when it did good work with Fury Cutter I decided to keep him around. His great stats meant that Havoc could always keep up and be of use. When I found the King's Rock it immediately went to him since it gives Fury Cutter an easier time to grow in power. Havoc did know Counter which was replaced with Reversal and he has yet to use either. Once he learns Megahorn I'll probably let go of Fury Attack instead of Fury Cutter like I was planning to.

Finally Batso who I caught in Mt. Mortar and wasn't really set on using him hence the nickname. But I needed a flyer and none of the Johto birds really drew me this time around. I actually picking him up at a pretty opportune time since Golbat does well against Morty. Here's a little secret for y'all about using the Zubat line in a campaign: don't grab it as soon as you can and wait until you find one with Bite and Wing Attack to start raising one. It sucks that Crobat's only STAB this gen are Wing Attack and Fly but I guess once you have the right tools it could become a decent status supporter with Confuse Ray and Toxic.

I plan on continuing through Kanto a little later to get that full Gen II experience I haven't had in years. Johto has some problems with its Pokemon distribution and its level curve but it can still be pretty fun.

Today, out of curiosity, I started playing Pokemon Red for the first time. Wow, do the graphics look odd. The animation for Bubble looks like someone took white paint and splashed it everywhere on the opposing Pokemon. And the beeping music is an experience in itself.

I've just reached Pewter City and my team at the moment is a level 9 Squirtle. I suspect I'm a bit underleveled for the gym, plus I haven't really caught anything else...I think Pokemon GO has permanently put me off Rattata and Pidgey, haha. I'd prefer to have a team with multiple types, but I'm not too sure what balanced teams would look like in Red. Also don't have a way to trade, so Alakazam and/or Gengar are out of the question.

*shrugs* This is going to be interesting.

Go back to Viridian and get yourself a Pikachu and a Caterpie. And a Nidoran(M) on Route 22 (I think). It will help you to wreck shop going forward.

So the Hawlucha I hatched for my run in Y had a bad Nature. I decided to catch a Mienfoo and switch out, although it'll take her a while to evolve. I started the game with Froakie and traded a Eevee egg, a Ferroseed egg, a Hawlucha egg and a Gible egg. Current team's Frogadier, Gabite, Sylveon, Ferroseed and Mienfoo with Diggersby as an HM slave.

With Sun and Moon releasing early in some countries and people getting their hands on it, this thread is for you guys (who have the game) to post a log about what all you've done and accomplished in the game so far! From catching Pokemon to battling and more! :)

Just remember that there will be spoilers in this thread, so please read at your own risk. Have fun!

With Sun and Moon releasing early in some countries and people getting their hands on it, this thread is for you guys (who have the game) to post a log about what all you've done and accomplished in the game so far! From catching Pokemon to battling and more! :)

Just remember that there will be spoilers in this thread, so please read at your own risk. Have fun!

Really thank you for the thread, and I am really looking to the game.
I saw the episodes, and or the episodes, I can't stop myself from looking to the game
I want to see the episodes agains, and want to play from now
When the game will come, tommoow will released, but I am looking for the release in my country

I picked up my version guys, going with Sun mostly for Ninetales, but I also do prefer Solgaleo, I do intend to be making my team a competitive team for the VGC17 ruleset so I've really gone ahead and thought out my team and which of the new Pokemon I'll use.

My projected team is as follows:

730.png
026-a.png
758.png
038-a.png
784.png

Obviously I have an undecided slot that I'm not sure what I'll do with, possibly use a legendary but it's not something I typically do, I also try my best to use mostly new Pokemon (and in the case of SM, new forms of Pokemon), well anyways I'm gonna get into Sun now!

Last edited:
I got the game about 4 hours ago, and started it about 2 and a half hours ago. Pokemon Sun. Taking a little break right now but as of now I have caught several Pokemon, two of which I am using for my team, My litten, Alaka'i and my pichu, Ka'auki. Just made it to Hau'oli City and got a new cut (by the way, it's expensive to cut you're hair (not sure for just color. 4000 for just a cut, and 5000 for both), so I suggest saving before hand so if you accidentally pick something you don't like) and a new outfit.

Just started playing Sun about two hours ago. Currently at Route 2 at the moment, making my way to Verdant Cave. My current team consists of Litten, Pikkipek and Magnemite. I'm hoping to catch a Rockruff soon though, and I'll be replacing Pikkipek with it. I'm hoping the cave is home to Jangmo-o like in the demo, I'd really like to also catch one for my team.

Game is pretty alright right now, but the tutorial section is incredibly annoying. Hoping that I'm finally past that.

I just started Pokemon Sun.. and that has to be the best intro to the game ever. This game actually feels like its really story driven.

Doing Sun first; completed the challenge at the trainer school and currently taking a break at the Pokemon center with the current team being Popplio, Pikipek, Yungoos, Ledyba, Magnemite, and Alolan Meowth. I like how you have the option to swap a Pokemon from your party with the one you just caught.

About to challenge Hala. Little bit nervous. My pichu hasn't evolved yet (I hate those friendship evolutions) and he doesn't have a lot of defense at all. I don't have any flying or psychic types that I have trained along side the ones for my main team of Pichu and Torracat. I'm really wishing I had continued to train my Pikipek right about now, might have to if I can't find some combo to beat Hala with. I do have a couple fighting types though so that should help.

EDIT: Just managed to beat him. Sadly my Torracat fainted so he didn't gain any XP during the last match. Luckily my Crabrawler that I had kept in the party managed to get him.

Last edited:
Really loving the game so far. Just beat the Trainer School challenge and fully customized my character. Team right now is looking like: Rowlet, Pichu, Wingull, Meowth

Started playing Pokemon Sun about 3 hours ago and I'm exploring every chance I get like I always do. After soft resetting for about 30 minutes, I finally got a female Popplio and named her Adre. :) While battling Hau, Adre had nearly OHKOed Hau's Litten with a single water gun, she might have a bit of a high special attack IV in there somewhere. I'll update when I get more Pokemon. :D

Been dying to play this game all day. I won't have much time to play tomorrow so I am going to spend all night playing! For now I've been exploring for almost 25 minutes before finally getting my first Pokemon. What luck! The Litten I chose was female! Named her Felicia and already looking forward to getting Rockruff! Don't know how early it appears, but I hope it's early enough to where I can raise it from a lower level. =D

Okay so I was wrong about Verdant Cave. I mistakenly believed that it was the same cave from the demo where you take pictures of Jangmo-o. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed but that one's on me. Although now I feel very misled by the demo...

Just completed Melemele's island trial and beat Hala. Either this game's difficulty got ramped up from previous generations or I'm just not grinding enough, because the last couple of battles have been surprisingly challenging (Although I guess it doesn't help that four of my Pokemon are all weak to Fighting...). As of now, I have Torracat, Trumbeak, Magnemite, Alolan Meowth, Alolan Rattata and Alolan Diglett on my team, although they're all temporary Pokemon that I intend to replace soon. Hopefully with the next island unlocked, I'll be able to find some better variety. I don't really want to have to use older Pokemon in my run for once.

Loving the game. Just dislike one thing, all the bloody cutscenes. Way to many in my opinion.

Started playing Pokemon Moon almost immediately after getting it yesterday, though now it's recharging for the second time in 24 hours. Started my journey, had the near-death experience that required a usually fickle Guardian Pokemon to save me, and got to pick my starter. Got a Litten and named him Meowzma. Started catching a number of Pokemon, such as a Pikipek named Bazooka, battled Hau in the festival, and started the island challenge. Had a tiny bit of trouble with one of the students at the Pokemon school (the one with the Grimer, as apparently when both your OR Grimer touch you, Poison Touch can activate now, which poisoned Bazooka to defeat). Fortunately, Meowzma took care of business. Defeated Team Skull and sent them running. Had a bit of trouble with Ilima, as Smergle's Water Gun took me by surprise and nearly defeated Meowzma, thought I managed to critical hit with Ember and KOed it before it could do the same. Healed and started making my way to the trial, catching an Alolan Meowth (named him Eddy, after the money-hungry, egotistical character from Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy, who also happens to have Pickup as his ability), a Makuhita name Muscles (self-explanatory), and the event Munchlax (named Gulp), most of this team is temporary until I manage to hunt down what I'm really looking for. Whooped Team Skull again, laughing all the way, healed up and then took the trial. Both Meowzma and Bazooka evolved just before the trial, so I had a distinct power advantage. The Totem Pokemon, however, gave me some trouble, KOing Eddy and Bazooka with well-timed criticals, but Meowzma pulled through in the end. Saved Nebby from its usual tendency to wander away from Ellie, battled Hau, and then took on Hala. I pretty much steamrolled him, though Crabrawler did give Bazooka some trouble. Probably the reason I did so well is because I did a lot of unintentional grinding while Pokemon hunting. Caught a lot of Pokemon and are now doing the odd jobs before moving on (such as catching certain Pokemon to show to various people for cash and such). I'm in the process of hunting down a Rockruff, since you can get it on Melemele Island (at least I think I can), but having a bit of trouble locating the place where you can get one, as it'll be a permanent teammate. But overall my Moon version is moving along swimmingly.

Speaking of swimmingly, my Sun version is also doing quite well. I started it while waiting for my Moon version 3DS to recharge. Started with Popplio which, to my surprise, was a girl on the first try. Named her Mero (after the Monster Mususme mermaid), battled Hau both times, and started on my way. Took care of the Trainer School (and fared better this time, since I knew what I was up against). Managed to evolve my Caterpie, Felix, all the way up to Butterfree, thanks to the EXP Share, and also currently raising a female Meowth (named Coinz) and a female Yungoos (named Chomp), all of which will be temporary teammates until a certain point. I haven't gotten as far as Team Skull just yet in this version, as I'm doing a bit of grinding and Pokemon hunting at the moment, as well as taking my time getting items and scoping things out more. So far so good on both ends.

I'm currently at Wela Volcano park and the second Pokémon that I run into is a Female Salandit. I think that I'm incredibly lucky.
Edit: She also has a Hasty nature, making her even more fast and frail. I am extremely lucky.

Been dying to play this game all day. I won't have much time to play tomorrow so I am going to spend all night playing! For now I've been exploring for almost 25 minutes before finally getting my first Pokemon. What luck! The Litten I chose was female! Named her Felicia and already looking forward to getting Rockruff! Don't know how early it appears, but I hope it's early enough to where I can raise it from a lower level. =D
You can find Rockruff in the Ten Carat hill. The only requirement that you need in order to get Rockruff is that you have to have Tauros to break the rocks that get into the cave. Ten Carat hill isn't that far from Kukui's lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom