• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just attempted Mallow's trial. I thought it would be a breeze with it being a Grass Totem since I have Dartrix, Cutiefly and Growlithe in my team. I still thought I had it in the bag when I saw Lurantis was the Totem. But then I could only watch helplessly as it massacred my entire team with its Shining Finger Sword Solar Blade. I took its love, its anger and all of its sorrow. Anyway, prepping for the rematch.

I'm now about to check out the battle royal area.

Before then, though, another odd event: I was trying to catch an Igglybuff, and it was incredibly annoying: It kept summoning pals, even right after I kept defeating them, for over six times. I found it funny that it summoned a Jigglypuff - its evolved form, but I still defeated it. But then, it called out a Happiny, so I was like, "forget it." So I defeated 'Trainer Igglybuff' and caught that instead.

It's so odd how things can work out in this game...

Evolved my Cutiefly into Ribombee and smacked down the Totem Lurantis. On to the Akala Kahuna.

Current team:

Lycanroc Midday (Petra), Lv 26
Dartrix (Tyto), Lv 24
Ribombee (Ribbons), Lv 25
Persian (Kuro), Lv 23
Espeon (Lynx), Lv 22
Growlithe (Shisa), Lv 23

@swiftfox I have a Lycanroc named Petra, too! =D

With that said, I was stoked to get Rockruff. I'll miss the little pup but Lycanroc is so cool! Made it to Route 5 and I love riding on a Stoutland! I also noticed that while in Paniola Town, there was a house with Magmar in it. Does that mean Electabuzz is in this game?? Now I know who the fourth slot in my team is going to (or fifth or sixth, depending on who I capture next).

All of my team (all three of them!!) are at level 28. Off to the area beyond the Route 5 Pokemon Center!

Got my copy of the game on the 19th, but just played on the next day. Picked Rowlet, named it Chvette. I planned to soft reset until I got a shiny version of it, but decided not to because of the long cutscene before choosing my starters. I did soft reset it once though. Oh, well, there's always another way to get a shiny.

On to route 1 to hunt for Grubbin. Didn't encounter it for more or less two hours searching. Keep searching and encounter a shiny Pikipek... Guess I've used all my luck there, and now I might not encounter any shiny until the next game came out. :p At least encountered a Grubbin and named it Tesla. Attended the festival, and I must say the AI seems to improve, or it's just my imagination, idk.

Went to Kukui's lab and then to the Trainer School. Then I realize I can access Festival Plaza, so I tried it right away.

Current team:
- Chvette (Rowlet)
- Tesla (Grubbin)
- Kira (Pikipek) (Filler)
- Marinett (Ledyba) (Filler)
- Conan (Yungoos) (Filler)
- Ray (Caterpie) (Filler)

This is not that important, but I lay down on my bed on time and Mom's meowth just gave me an Awakening, I can't remember when, maybe after Hala gave me my starter.

Getting far today in Sun, just finished up some business at Aether Paradise, saw some crazy stuff, and I'm onto Poni Island, time to finish up the island challenge with the fourth and final island!

My current party is:

730.png
025.png
758.png
658-a.png
718-10.png

Zygarde is mostly filler and just fun to have around, I'm close to having 50% of the cells, which is when I'll probably box him. But until I can get my hands on Vulpix and Jangmo-o, I may as well keep Greninja and Zygarde around as filler. For those curious, the Zygarde starts at level 30 in a point in the game where you're level 35-40 by now, so it's not overpowered to have by any means, it's very similar to getting a Lati in ORAS. Greninja has been a humongous help, I'd have taken a lot longer if it weren't for him. I can evolve Pikachu but I've been holding off on it for now, I think there was a reason but I'm forgetting why to be honest...

I went into Hau'oli city and did exploring while getting a hair cut and changed my outfit to something cute. Team Skull is easy to deal with while Ilima is a bit of a challenge, but I'll have to deal with her later. I went to route two and caught myself a Meowth. I caught a Driftloon that the girl at the Pokemon center wanted, but rejected it so I had to put him into the PC with Munchlax since my team is already weak to electric and rock at the moment. While training Eleast, Meowth, and Pikipeck, Andre evolved into Brionne And Pikipeck evolved into Trumbeak. After healing my Pokemon after the training session, I noticed that Meowth had picked up a sun stone, a lucky find! :D After healing my Pokemon, I went onto my first island trail. The trail was easy since Andre is at level 19, the totem Pokemon was easy since all it and Youngoos did is lowered her stats and didn't attempt to attack. When I found Lilli in the meadow, she was worried sick because of Nebby running off from her again, so I went to the rescue before Nebby gets in trouble again. After the rescue mission, I battled Hau and beaten him easily and went to take on Hala. Andre was able to take care of all of Hala's Pokemon on her own since she was mostly using disarming voice and encore to trap Hala's Pokemon into using non damaging moves. Onto the second island now! :D

I'm about to take on Victory Road and my team right now is
1089.png
1018.png
0109.png
1113.png
0504.png
1024.png

they're all around level 52 I believe. I'm going to see if my friend brings his Sun to school tomorrow so we can trade and evolve my Graveler into a Golem ^^

Last edited:
Managed to accomplish quite a bit. I've caught a Passimian today, and fortunately for me it's female so I can easily breed her and trade her offspring for some Oranguru. I've also added her to my team as filler, since why not. I've grown quite fond of her.

I've just about completed Akala island. Just beat Olivia, completely sweeped her team using my Mudbray. It then evolved into a Mudsdale afterward, along with my Trumbeak evolving into a Toucannon. Things are coming together very nicely. I think I can box the Toucannon now, since I don't particularly need it.

Current team is Torracat, Mudsdale, Lycanroc Midday form, Toucannon, Magnemite and Passimian.

Passed Kiawe's trial, encountered Colress and now taking a break in an Aether facility on route 8; my current team is Brionne, Magnemite, Grimer, Trumbeak, Hariyama, and Mudbray.

I have been retracing my steps to get cells and cores. Had to use Quick Ball to capture Wimpod since False Swipe doesn't work due to it fleeing when damaged. Up to Grass trial.

Heck yeah guys, I'm on my way to the Elite Four, caught Solgaleo, stopped the bad guys, saw some more weird stuff, and my team is very close to being done, if not done already, I still haven't decided on the final slot to replace Greninja, but I've caught everything else! Time to traverse Mount Lanakila with my epic all-star team!

Also, as far as Zygarde Cube progress, I'm 80/100, I can almost form a Zygarde with Power Construct which will be epic!

Current party:

730.png
026-a.png
758.png
037-a.png
784.png
658-a.png

Last edited:
Bought some clothes and got my hair cut as soon as I got to the shopping district of Hau'oli city, because I don't like the default. :/
Unfortunately there is no shoes available. I plan to catch Crabrawler before Ilima's trial, but I couldn't find it. So I just challenge it without Crabrawler. Fortunately I rise Grubbin and Pikipek so I have advantages over A-Ratatta and A-Raticate. Not that hard.

Current Team: Chvette (Rowlet), Tesla (Grubbin), Conan (Yungoos), Kira (Pikipek), Marinett (Ledyba), Zubat (Zubat)

Current team:

Torracat
Muddsdale
Snorlax
Touccanon
Fomantis

Also, Touccanon for a regional bird is pretty awesome. It's no Talonflame, but Touccanon can learn Brick Break and Flame Charge, which allows for some diversity with my team.

Gosh it's great to be back home. I'm actually surprised I got to play as much as I did this weekend. Lots of free time, so I managed to clock in about 7 hours in on the game over the weekend.

I have made it to Ula'Ula Island, since completing Mallow's Trial, defeating Olivia. I have also now completed Sophocle's trial and Acreola's Trial. Acreola's Trial was great, I loved it.

I've caught my whole team now, I just need to wait till my Pikachu gets Thunderbolt so I can then evolve it to Alolan Raichu. It has a few more levels, here's my team since it's all complete

Alaka'i the Incineroar (Male, Level 40)
Ka'auki the Pikachu (Male, Level 39)
Leikea the Lycanroc (Female, Level 38)
Onaono the Lurantis (Female, Level 37)
Hilina'i the Passimian (Male, Level 35)
Mana the Mimikyu (Female, Level 34)

Mana is my most recent addition. And oh my gosh. For any of you who have tried to catch Passimian (or Oranguru if you have Moon), did you have a hard time trying to find it? I think it's like a 5 or 10% encounter rate but it might as well be a 1%. I ran around in the tall grass in Lush Jungle (where I read up that it was) for an hour before I finally encountered it. I was actually looking up where some other cool Pokemon were on my phone by the end and I was about to leave to go get a Mareanie, and I finally got it (and now I plan to use Mareanie when I play through Moon the first time even though my starter is going to be Popplio)

I sure am loving Alola so far. I am enjoying every bit of it. I don't think the chances of encountering a shiny are any different this time around, since a trainer in Alola says it's 1 and 4000 something, but it sems like a lot of people have run into shinies. 2 videos I scrolled through on youtube boasted shiny Mudbrays, a youtuber I actually watch found a shiny Diglett, and a close friend just called me up 30 minutes ago with a Shiny Pikipek. I was like "Seriously" I mean come on, I searched an hour for a normal Passimian and he found a shiny Pikipek.

Though I will admit, the Passimian was worth it. Hilina'i has put in the work. He's got some great attack and great speed.

Well I'm going to get a move on it again. Haven't played in 5 hours so I'm ready to go play :)

I just completed Acerola's trial - I'm stopping for the day, I'll play again in the morning as my Fomantis is level 33, so it'll reach level 34 sometime tomorrow morning at it'll evolve.

Got Sun on Thursday night--gotta love the pre-load feature--and started doing some level grinding on Friday. As I'm leveling up my Pikipek, I run into a Ledyba which looks a little weird.

<cue the sparkle sound>

I was stunned and terrified at the same moment, as the Ledyba was at level two and although my Pikipek was the same level, it only knew Peck. I was afraid if I attacked, I'd score a critical hit and lose the shiny. Everyone else was at level 10 so switching was out of the question. So I chucked a Poke Ball at the Ledyba, which had full health.

*shakes once*
*shakes twice*
*shakes three times*
*CLICK*

I named her Bumper and she's Adamant. Currently, I haven't trained her a lot, as I don't want to screw up her stats but I intend to start her EV training once I'm done with Hau'oli City.

Current team:
Tuvix the Litten level 11
tRump the Yungoos level 10
Toucan Sam the Pikipek level 10
Bumper the Ledyba level 4

I'm also resetting for the Gift Munchlax. Anyone know if it happens to be gender-locked? I wouldn't mind getting a female.

Fell asleep before I could play any last night, so after my early class this morning I played for quite a while. I'm finally now taking a break.
I got through Team Skull's base in Po Town. Gosh I have to say I loved the little song that the grunts did when you went into the Pokemon center, how they didn't have enough money to pay to keep things lit up. They even ask you if you can pay 10 pokedollars. I healed a couple times there. I have to say if it wasn't Team Skull, I probably would have just used some Potions, the Team Skull grunts are great.
Defeated Kahuna Nanu. Even he had an interesting personality. That was a little dark on his behalf with his line about how he would take your remains to your family if you didn't make it while in Po Town.
We all knew it, we all knew that Aether was evil. Jeez. Well Wicke's nice, since I'm glad for cuz she's my babe. Jeez Lusamine really really is terrible. It was crazy. I don't even want to describe her private room. She really didn't put u much of a fight though when I went to fight her. Really didn't have much of a problem. After these events though I really found I love Lillie and Gladion. Like I already liked them, but now I just like them even more. Really interesting characters, and family feud. I love that little moment after Lillie is in her new outfit and Hau's like "You look fantastic!" and Gladion's like "What did you say?" an Hau immediately changed his sentence. Ain't nobody dating Lillie when he's around.

My Ka'auki (the Pikachu) learned thunderbolt so I evolved him to Raichu too. He doesn't have a lot of defense, but he hits pretty hard. My team's all around the same level too, which is nice.

I'm on Poni Island now, deciding I would take a break before I start to explore it. These games are great and I can't believe that soon the initial adventure will be over. But I plan to spend a lot of time exploring after.

Now, I've just completed Sophocles's trial and defeated Guzma for the first time. Game is going really well so far. Not too hard, not too too easy, story seems good, etc. Team right now, all around 33-36, is:
-Decidueye
-Pikachu
-Ribombee
-Salazzle (and it has a shit nature but I'm trying to ignore that flaw, because it doesn't really matter in-game)
-Cloyster
-Primeape
-Umbreon
-Dugtrio
-Minior

(yeah, I'm currently rotating these 9. good for pacing and using an enjoyable variety)

Okay... So I reached the third island, and I'm embarrassed to say that I got my arse completely handed to me by Hau. I'm really starting to re-consider the team I had planned, as it has a major water weakness (which even my Magnemite couldn't cover). Maybe I ought to replace my Mudsdale or Lycanroc with something else. I could probably do with some grass coverage. At any rate, I was also somewhat underleveled at the time, so that's probably what did me in. I should have trained at least five more levels beforehand.

I've started to train a Vaporeon since, after the egg I got from the nursery hatched into an Eevee. It'll probably be another filler/rotate Pokemon though. I also got my Passimian egg to hatch and traded it for an Oranguru. <3 She was female too, so I bred her to hatch my own. Now I've got a baby boy with Telepathy. Hopefully things will go a lot better from here.

Current team:
Incineroar
Lycanroc Midday
Mudsdale
Vaporeon
Magneton
Oranguru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom