• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totem araquanid can go die in a fire, it's so much more annoying than totem wishiwashi ever was.

Unfortunately its Water Bubble ability makes that rather diffcult.

So instead of climbing Mount Lanakila like I had initially planned to, instead I decided to travel through Ultra Space, and caught (among other things) a shiny Nuzleaf! First shiny in USUM obtained!

Last edited:
Finished the Rainbow Rocket story and completed the Dex. This was the hardest Pokemon game I've ever played. I've been playing since Gen 2 and this is the first time I've had to use Revives. I've been exploring the wormhole and found a Shiny Drapion.

And we did it. We are champions of Alola. I also completely cheesed the Necrozma capture with a Quick Ball, but we'll skip that for now.

The Hall of Fame:
Electric Eye (Magnezone) level 70
Rousey level (Hawlucha, female) 68
Jackson (Primarina, male) level 66
Badass Dino (Tyranitar, female) level 65
Pacman (Marowak, male) level 69
Mikey (Exeggutor, male) level 61

The Electric Eye was rock-solid (or is that Steel-solid?) on defense, with his Electric/Steel typing and great Defense stat shutting down just about everything and letting him switch into just about anything that threatened the team. Pacman, Rousey, Jackson, and even Badass Dino were also very helpful in helping him (is Magnezone even a male?) fulfill this role by checking anything that threatened him out.

Badass Dino blossomed into a fearsome behemoth with Sand Stream raising his Special Defense to terrifying levels, and an Expert Belt gave his super-effective attacks even more power.

Pacman love to just break things in half, with his Thick Club acting as a wieldable Swords Dance, making him the strongest breaker on the team. Anything that didn't resist him just fell in 1 hit.

Rousey ended up being a terrifying sweeper, capable of holding a Sitrus Berry in order to set up a Swords Dance, after which Unburden doubled her speed and Acrobatics' power doubled. Between her STAB moves in High Jump Kick and Acrobatics and coverage in Stone Edge, there was almost nothing that could touch her after she set up.

While not as used as the others, Jackson was very valuable with his Water/Fairy typing and massive Special Attack stat. He saved many a battle by just nuking an opponent into oblivion with Hydro Vortex or Moonblast.

Mikey did...Well, Mikey did his best. He did his job in providing an extra check to Ground-types, but he was always facing a tougher challenge than the rest of the team, being lower level (sometimes by as much as 9 or 10) and having fewer EVs than everyone else. When he got the chance to do something, however, he shone through very well, with his good bulk combined with Toxic, Infestation, and Giga Drain dropping opponents like Cutieflies.

Honorable Mention:
Henry (Malamar, male) retired at level 51
(Really, I owe Henry a massive apology, because he was the first addition to my team, yet I benched him at the final hurdle because I felt like I needed more team support, and even though Mikey wasn't bad at the job I needed him to do, he didn't really provide the defensive support that the Electric Eye, Badass Dino, and Pacman needed to check/break things. Besides, I never got a chance to let Henry snowball with Contrary Superpower, so who knows what would have been? Anyway, our favorite Contrary squid will likely return in the future.)

Also as a final note on Henry, here's how he fared against the Totem Pokemon:

Totem Gumshoos: Henry excelled, invalidating its defense boost and even getting a few free boosts in the process thanks to Contrary
Totem Araquanid: He was faster than the spider even with its boosted speed, but was immediately KOed by Leech Life
Totem Marowak: Marowak used Detect, and then Ally Salazzle made sure that he couldn't Topsy-Turvy
Totem Lurantis: used X-Scissor and OHKOed Henry
Totem Togedemaru: Used Spiky Shield on turn 1. Henry probably could have used Topsy-Turvy here, but Pacman invalidated this Totem thanks to Lighting Rod and his Thick Club.
Totem Mimikyu: Used Leech Life and OHKOed Henry
Totem Kommo-o: Did not try Henry here as I was worried more of the same would happen. He may have lived a +1 dragon STAB from the Totem, though. Kommo-o didn't look like it had any Bug moves to use.
Totem Ribombee: Do I really need to say what would have happened here?
Necrozma: Henry would have been super useful here, but unfortunately, I had already retired him by that point.

Participation trophies:
Joey (Kangaskhan) retired at level 22
Ginger (Furfrou, female) retired at level 22
Blac Horghec (Zorua, female) retired at level 24
Peeko (Wingull, male) retired at level 14
Serenity (Grubbin, female) retired at level 9

Special thanks to:
All of the Cubones that Pacman KOed with Thief in order to obtain his Thick Club

Here's what I've obtained, without trading or importing:

Litten -> Torracat (IN PARTY)
Yungoos
Caterpie -> Metapod -> Butterfree
Buneary -> Lopunny
Zorua (IN PARTY)
Furfrou
Pichu -> Pikachu (IN PARTY)
Grubbin
Slowpoke
Wingull
Meowth
Magnemite
Grimer
Mime Jr.
Ekans
Zubat
Noibat (IN PARTY)
Hawlucha
Petilil
Rockruff
Lillipup
Mudbray
Igglybuff
Fomantis (IN PARTY)
Poliwag (IN PARTY)
Fletchling
Cubone
Magby
Pyukumuku

Beat the second Trial and fought a Ultra beast. Diamond evolved from a Rare Candy.

The team:
H. Jack the Torracat
Diamond the Lycanroc
Ace the Crabrawler
Bronte the Mudbray
Hana the Oricorio
Leaf the Fomantis

Ahhh I usually always update with a travel log as I play through new games! It slipped my mind this time until now, I've just completed Mina's trial.

My team is:
Thellonius (Decidueye) lv. 58
Apollo (Dusk Lycanroc) lv. 58
Trizmo (Vikavolt) lv. 58
Smiles (Mantine) lv. 56
Darkshine (Mimikyu) lv. 59
Calibud (Tortunator) lv. 59

I also want to thank Apollo the Lycanroc and Pokemon refresh for helping me defeat true form Necrozma lol - all my Pokemon had fainted apart from Apollo, Necrozma was on half health, Splitered Stormshards got it down to about 1-5HP remaining, Apollo hears my shout and dodges the last Photon Geyser and BOOM - Necrozma falls to Crunch.

Several evolutions happened after the first trial on Ula.

The team:
H. Jack the Incineroar
Diamond the Lycanroc
Ace the Crabminable
Bronte the Mudsdale
Hana the Oricorio
Leaf the Fomantis

Beat Totem Lurantis, was a bit of a challenge but not too hard. Mostly got myself in trouble cause I accidentally knocked out the Comfey it summoned and got a Kecleon with Ancient Power in return, while the mons I used against Lurantis were weak to Rock ^^;

My battle against Olivia though, pfffffff. It wasn't until then that I noticed that I only have one Pokémon on my team that isn't weak to Rock :cry: Lost the first time and only won the second time cause I used like four Hyper Potions on Furfrou to keep it alive while beating Lyranroc with multiple Bites (powered up by three Work Ups).

Now I'm gonna sleep so I can catch a Natu during the day tomorrow. Gonna replace Mime Jr. with it, which sadly isn't as fun to use as I'd hoped on.

I didn't get a chance to do too much to do due to uni and going out for a friend's birthday (don't worry I didn't have too much wine hahaha)!

I got Totem Araquanid from Samson Oak, which would be amazing on my team but I already plan on filling my last two slots with Alolan Sandlash and Totem Mimikyu.
Explored a little more Of Konikoni City and was really surprised by the Ditto police officer! I can't wait to find the rest of the creepy Ditto squad tomorrow.
I also did a little more of the Alolan Vulpix side quest, visiting the woman in Paniola Town and then playing with Vulpix in the Aether House on Route 08. I can't wait to see where it goes tomorrow.

My battle against Olivia though, pfffffff. It wasn't until then that I noticed that I only have one Pokémon on my team that isn't weak to Rock :cry: Lost the first time and only won the second time cause I used like four Hyper Potions on Furfrou to keep it alive while beating Lyranroc with multiple Bites (powered up by three Work Ups).

Her Lileep and Anorith were annoying. Never in the many times I've played ORAS or RSE, have those two Pokemon been worth anything to me in a battle. But for Olivia, they knocked out almost my entire team. But I knocked out her other rock Pokemon with no problem.

After not being able to play for the last 48 hours, I'm finally going to go forward with the Dragon trial on Poni Island. I'll probably lose the first round because the only Pokemon I have that would do any damage to the Ko-omo or whatever that Pokemon's name is ironically weak to fighting moves. Going to be fun. Actually I'm glad I am making this post... I'll use Hail. That will move the battle into my favor.

Okay I just had the first (super easy) battle with the fusion Necrozma. With a will-o-wisp and a lot of shadow bones, my A-Marowak took it down with no problem. The awesome part for me was Lunala showing up for the Warp Ride. It's awesome to see all 3 legendaries in the same game like that as part of the story. That said, I am probably not going to catch Necrozma in the post-game, I'll just use my boxed one instead.

Okay warp ride... I landed in some pocket thingy and caught a Hippowdon. Then I left, went back to the two URS people that are tripping out on LSD, and now I'm at Ultra Megalopolis after a second warp ride. The warp ride reminded me of Mario Kart.

Ultra Megalopolis would have been more fun if it bared more resemblance to Black City since this game is littered with Unova references.

For round 2 with Necrozma, I'll use Incineroar as my primary and do as much damage as I can with a dark type Z-move. I have A-Marowak and Decidueye as my backup if Incini falls.

Last edited:
Okay Necrozma is a bastard. When he finally KO's me, I have a mean dragon type legendary in my Box I'm gonna use on his butt.

So I did a little test to see how much EXP is given in every session of Isle Evelup on its first phase, with Pyukumuku. Apparently each session gives 100 EXP instead of 50.

~Adventures on Melemele Island~

Sorry for the delay everyone-I've been having way too much fun in Ultra Moon!

Continuing from where we left off, a delivery man came to give me a present in the Pokémon Center near my house. He wouldn’t tell me from who the present came from or what it was-all he did was give me a red colored Poke Ball with a big smile and left.

I checked the ball and got a Rockruff! Holding a Focus Band and Adamant in nature like my Rowlet (maybe that’s why they’ve been getting along so well), Rockruff joined my party as my third Pokémon obtained here in Alola. I’m pretty happy to get one because I’ve seen quite a few of them, and their Trainers, in and around Iki Town.

Afterwards, I headed to the school and met up with Lillie and Kukui. I have to stay, this is the most impressive looking Pokémon School I’ve ever seen. It’s three stories! Apparently Kukui wanted me to do a battle challenge around the school, while learning advice from the other kids regarding battling. Getting a Quick Claw in the process, I easily defeated all the necessary trainers. After beating the last kid, who was nice enough to give me my first TM (Work Up), I was called to the second floor. Lillie assumed I did something bad, despite my best efforts to convince her otherwise.

Turns out the teacher (or principal?) was so impressed with my skills that she wanted to battle me herself. I did not expect her to have such a strong Litten. This thing overpowered Buneary, so I had to switch to Rockruff (Rowlet would have been toast, literally). However, when I switched Pokémon, the darn thing got a critical hit AND burned Rockruff with Ember.

It was a long battle, and we barely won. Sheesh.

I met Illima afterwards, finished up business at the school, and then Lillie, Hau (!) and I headed to Hau’oli City. It got late by this point, so I had to break up the events in Hau’oli into two days. Team Skull was Team Skull, but what was notable was the battle with Illima afterwards. I had a much easier time defeating him than I did in Moon (where I actually lost outright, the first time). After collecting all the Totem Stickers in the city, the next day everyone and I headed out to Route 2!

Before heading there though, I caved in and deicded to catch a Pichu. Despite wanting to use different Pokemon this time around barring my starter, I just love Alolan Raichu’s design and typing too much. So I searched for quite a while (damn those 5% encounters) and found her-Pichu! She has a Naïve nature, the little cutie. My party now bumped up to a nice four.

Route 2 was super eventful! I would say even more than Hau’oli and Route 1 themselves. First off, the owner of the nearby motel led me to a secluded beach where one can Mantine Surf. I haven’t been as excited to try out a game feature since the time Contests were introduced. Despite all the kind, attractive surfers and swimmers around, I was told I wouldn’t be able to surf on a Mantine until I defeated Hala in a Grand Trial (lame).

With no choice but to continue with Illima’s trial, I headed back to Route 2’s mainland. But I was stopped because the same Team Skull grunts from the previous day were acting a fool again, this time by tormenting a poor Mantine. Rowlet and I set them straight and Mantine’s owner was very grateful. Surprisingly though, it still wasn’t enough to let me ride one (even lamer). I left the beach and then helped an old man find his lost Meowth. I don’t think it was lost so much as willingly choosing to leave instead. I can see why too, because its Trainer is SUPER affectionate. Overall, it was a funny experience and a nice mini-quest to perform.

After helping him, I visited both the nearby Berry Farm and cemetery (to pay my respects). Both were eventful, and I ended up getting quite a few berries from the former stop. I ran into the Ultra Recon Squad again, only to hear them murmur things though…

By nightfall, I reached the Pokémon Center (thank goodness!) on Route 2. Hau was there, and gave me some Revives to help with the upcoming Trial. We talked a bit and he mentioned how this Trial is one that traditionally has been done at night. Perfect! Rowlet and I headed to Verdant Cavern, where Illima was waiting. Verdant cavern remains one of the most beautiful areas in the Pokémon universe-especially at night.

After explaining all the rules, Illima left me to my own devices. Basically, I just had to find three Pokémon and knock them out. Rockruff handled the first two Ratatta easily, taking no damage at all. The third Pokémon was a bit of a struggle because it kept darting in and out of view. Before I could decide what to do next, Team Skull stumbled in again to mess with me. These clowns never learn-Rockruff easily defeated B’s (their names are A & B) Drowzee. After beating them, they decided to take their frustration out on the last cave dwelling Pokémon I had to find…which actually helped! Through their efforts, I could pinpoint the last mon, a Raticate, and defeat it. With that done, the path to the Z-Crystal was clear!

In the Totem Pokémon’s chamber, I ran into an even fatter Alolan Raticate. The Totem Battle started and I used Rockruff and Rowlet . Its strategy was a simple, but effective one. TR would use Scary Face to slow down my Pokémon, then try to flinch away with Bite afterwards. It summoned a Rattata helper, to whittle our defenses down with Tail Whip or tried to get the jump on us with Pursuit. Rockruff initially was doing well, but soon became overwhelmed by the pair. After knocking out Rattata, I switched in Rowlet to finish off TR. A critical Razor Leaf did the job nicely. With that, we cleared our first Trial in Alola! (Insert victory fanfare!) After some congratulations from Illima, we headed outside to stumble on Kukui (who showed me how to actually use a Z-Move).

I felt bad that Buneary didn’t get to participate in the Totem Battle. So, I gave her the honor of being my first Pokémon to ever use a Z-Move. Kukui informed us that we had to search for Lillie in the newly opened Route 3, since he lost her. Following him, I headed into the mountainous route.

Rotom deduced that Lillie may be the Melemele meadow. After arriving, we found her…but also found out that she lost Nebby (again). Nebby disappeared into a nearby cave. Upon going after it, Buneary evolved into a Lopunny! Accented by the Alolan moonlight in the meadow, she was absolutely beautiful. And she had the honor of being my first evolved Pokémon.

I found Nebby in the cave, but ran into the URS again. The female challenged me to a battle with her Furfrou, which was unexpectedly difficult. It took Lopunny, Rockruff and a Breakneck Blitz to finally take the bulky dog down (stupid Baby-Doll Eyes). They said come cryptic comments and took their leave. I took Nebby back to a relieved Lillie, and outside the meadow we met Hau.

Fresh off beating his challenge (Illima must have healed up Raticate quick), Hau challenged me to our third fight. He started with Popplio and while though strong (by consuming its Sitrus Berry and activating Torrent), she couldn’t beat my Lopunny. Hau revealed he caught a Noibat, so I sent in Pichu to battle. Pichu got off a paralysis with Thunder Shock, making Noibat incapable of moving. Followed with Sweet Kiss, Hau’s Noibat was completely helpless (either attacking itself or not attacking) while Pichu shocked its HP away. Lastly, Hau’s Pichu apparently evolved into a Pikachu. I sent in Rowlet who beat the Mouse Pokémon with a combination of Ominous Wind and Razor Leaf. Now that’s 3-0, and I can only laugh.

After the battle, Kukui casually showed up and said Hau and I were ready to take on Hala for the Grand Trial of Melemele. And that’s where I’ll end for now folks. Tune in next time to see how things unfold!

Tldr?
  • I got a Rockruff and caught a Pichu
  • Arrived in Hau'oli City and met Team Skull for the first time
  • Successfully completed the Melemele Trial and got a Normalium Z
  • Buneary evolved into a Lopunny
Current Party:
Rowlet (16), Lopunny (16), Rockruff (16) & Pichu (11)

Decided to go with Litten over Rowlett this time. So far I'm just after beating Iilma befor the trial. Just caught a Pichu to use. Was gonna use one on Sun but then I found a shiny Magnemite day 1. No such luck this time!

Randy Orton the Litten level 12
Buneary level 10
Butterfree level 10
Zorua level 11
Event Rockruff level 10
Pichu level 5

Well, about to go do the victory road thing on Mount Lanikala. Gladion is still a pushoever. I knocked out his Zoroark and Silvally with one hit from my Primarina I retrieved from my Pokemon bank.

After becoming Champions, we helped Dulse and Zossie track down and capture a few Blacephalon that had made their way to Poni Grove. That was nice and relaxing while it lasted.

Oh, my. Rainbow Rocket. That was the most nostalgic fun I've had in quite some time. Kudos to everyone involved in creating that masterpiece. Ghestis and Giovanni gave the team some problems, but Ghestis was handled nicely by my team's great defensive synergy, while Rousey ultimately solo swept Giovanni because Dugtrio couldn't touch her outside of Sucker Punch; after setting up 3 Swords Dances and eating her Sitrus Berry to trigger Unburden, she was completely untouchable.

Did all of Ula'ula and Aether over the last few days. Togedemaru and Mimikyu were really easy. Lusamine also wasn't very difficult despite her being quite a few levels higher. First battle with Guzma gave me a bit of trouble since his Bug Buzz and Air Slash Masquerain just swept through my team, but later encounters with him went easier (probably because I had Togedemaru then).

I've just done a bit of exploring at Poni and been to Exeggutor Island. So I'm moving along towards the climax.

I ended up dropping Passimian for a cute little Elgyem. Something about Passimian didn't feel right. My team now is:
547MS.png
Floco Lv.45
606MS.png
Tink Lv.45
139MS.png
Lenny Lv.45
284MS.png
Oogie Lv.45
733MS.png
Calypso Lv.45
777MS.png
Patches Lv.46

Doing a lot of level grinding and thinking about the best team to take on the E4. I kinda feel like Ash because I took some old mon out of the Bank to try out in some random level grinding battles on Poni and Victory Road. Also, I ran into Necrozma on Mount Lanikala and without thinking about it, I threw a master ball at him. So he's mine I guess even though I had no intention of catching. I tried out fusing him with Solgaleo to get one of his alternate forms. And when I went into battle, I tried out Ultra Burst Necrozma. He's bad ass. I'd probably wipe out the entire elite 4 with him so I'll pass on using him then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom