• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just started a new save file in Pokémon Omega Ruby.
I knew from the beginning, that this was going to be a though adventure, and I was right. Already at the main menu, I met my first challenge. I had no idea how delete the old save file. So I went on a epic quest through the internet. This quest led me to the mythical land of IGN, where I found the button combination I needed.

After overcoming this challenge I was able to pick my starter. I chose Torchic, because it's obviously the best one. Then I travelled to oldale town's pokémon center, where I recieved two event legendaries.

After 14 minuttes of playtime my team consist of:

KFC the Torchic - level 6 Moves: Scratch, Growl, Ember
Mew - level 100 Moves: Pound
Manaphy - Level 100 Moves: Some useless move, Bubble, Some other useless move.

Somehow, I'm missing an update, so I'll cut to the chase.

Rt 3, I caught Ella, a Nidoran (F)
Rt 4, I bought Karpe Diem, a Magikarp
Mt Moon, I caught Vlad (I know, how original), a Zubat
Got hella lucky and caught Mel, my Abra on Rt 24
Rt 25 saw me catching FishWhislr, my Bellsprout
Rt 5, I caught Giselle, my new Pidgey (I hope I can keep this one alive a little longer)
Rt 6, I caught Mittens, a Meowth named after my cat
Rt 11, I caught a Spearow and named it Alyson
lastly a Diglet, Moe, in the Diglet Cave

In this time I have only lost one of my Pokés, Vlad, on Nugget Bridge.

Onwards to the grinding!

Been slowly getting back into playing Pokémon with my Y file and have started cleaning up my boxes, berry planting, breeding, and finishing the Pokédex.

Having a lot of fun so far but I'm a little annoyed by the fact that it takes Starf and Lansat berries 5 days to grow. >_> Thankfully by tomorrow I'll finally have a harvest and can start planting multiple trees again.

I have finally beaten my Johto journey in Pokemon Heart Gold (Started November of 2014).Now I'm off to Kanto. I will tell you my team though
Meganium Lv. 54
Nidoking Lv. 55
Togetic Lv. 53 (Where can I get a shiny stone)
Golem Lv. 53
Furret Lv. 52
Butterfree Lv. 52

To be continued...

So I will be playing through SoulSilver, one of my favorite games all-time for the massive amounts of content, but I'll be playing it with a twist.

So I like taking npc characters that aren't really delved into much as far as their origin and backstory and I like playing through games where their team would be obtainable and then I play through it as them. I planned on doing this as Dahlia, the SinJoh Frontier Brain for the Battle Arcade, in Emerald but that one has been put on hold, the goal there was to beat the Battle Frontier and have that be what made Dahlia a Frontier Brain elsewhere. Well I'm doing the opposite now, I'm playing through SoulSilver as a Hoenn Frontier Brain, the Battle Tower's Anabel.

Her team is 100% obtainable in SoulSilver with me only needing a second game to help with breeding certain eggs. In Emerald she actually only has five Pokemon between her two sets of three as she uses her favorite, Snorlax, in both the Silver and Gold teams. To fill in the 6th slot on my permanent team I looked to her anime Pokemon where she has an Espeon and Metagross. I chose Metagross because it's personally one of my favorites and Alakazam is already on the team and Espeon would serve a similar purpose to Alakazam. Here is the complete, projected team:

1. Snorlax
Nature: Careful
Ability: Thick Fat
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 216 Sp. Defense, 188 HP, 104 Defense
Moveset:
-Body Slam
-Curse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

2. Alakazam
Nature: Timid
Ability: Inner Focus
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Defense
Moveset:
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Signal Beam/Focus Blast

3. Metagross
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Occa Berry
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Defense
Moveset:
-Zen Headbutt
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

4. Raikou
Nature: Modest
Ability: Pressure
Item: Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
-Thunderbolt
-Extrasensory
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Ice)

5. Entei
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
Item: Choice Band
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
-Sacred Fire
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head
-Facade

6. Latios
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
-Dragon Pulse
-Psychic
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (Fire)

I'll be using resources off another Gen IV game to get a head start on obtaining held items and EV training with vitamins and macho braces and things like that, but otherwise I'm not getting any advantage in this game, I'm just prepping my Pokemon early for when I do hit the Battle Frontier (and as a bonus it'll help against my epic battle with Red, who I recently played as in Yellow, so it's almost like I'm playing as a direct sequel to my VC Yellow).

So far I sped through the first two gyms with a Cyndaquil to get to Goldenrod City and gain access to the daycare. I used that to breed myself a Munchlax (I like Munchlax and breeding a Snorlax this early would probably make things too easy). The same route with the daycare has Abra so I caught that, I also bred a Beldum so the non-legendary portion of my team is complete. Down the road I will be getting Entei and Raikou in time for the initial Pokemon League challenge, and Latios is obtainable in Kanto. I got Cyndaquil solely to make Silver have Totodile since that seems to be the agreement on his canon starter.

Oh, one more thing, and this is just me, but Entei was kind of terrible in Gen IV, the event shiny one had Flare Blitz but his good physical attack was otherwise wasted on terrible STAB physical moves like Fire Fang. Gen VI gave him Sacred Fire so I will be hacking that onto my Entei but otherwise all my Pokemon are 100% legit and this is just a way to make him usable otherwise I most certainly wouldn't ever be using him in favor of Raikou and Latios.

So anyways I'm in Goldenrod at this time and I have a level 10 Munchlax, Abra, and Beldum that are all in dire need of some level and EV training so I'll be grinding away for a couple hours before taking on Whitney.

EDIT:

After a couple hours of training, Munchlax, Kadabra, and Metang are all EV'd up with Kadabra being level 18, Metang being level 20, and Munchlax being level 21. I'll be going after Whitney now, I'm going to try to use only Munchlax but I might use Metang if needed.

EDIT 2:

I've finished Johto and am about to fight Lance. Fittingly enough Munchlax evolved into Snorlax right after fighting Karen, who is the last of the Elite Four, so I'll be going to Lance with a Snorlax, Kadabra, Metang, Raikou, and Entei. Nothing sitting in the 6th slot, but I won't need anything else anyways. Metang is level 44 so I'll get him evolved during Lance too most likely.

Last edited:
After giving up hope of ever being able to finisha replay of any of the newer games I gone back to crystal to rekindle the flame. Its not that their bad, just recent, and there is only so many times one can replay Black 2(I am on my 6th run?). So Pokemk Crystal. Presentation is surprisingly better then I remember, those route signs are cool. Ridiculous how you can't catch anything on your way to Mr Pokemon and back, cause I just ran into a shiny hoohoot. First non Gyardos shiny as well FFS. There goes any enjoyment of the game. Ah well.

Level 7 Totodile.

Serious question, it has high attack/defence but low speed. That's great right? I forget these things.

I've just about finished the main story in SoulSilver (depending on how far in you consider to be the "main story", I consider Red to be the finale of the main story).

Anabel has beaten all 16 gyms in Johto and Kanto, and has also beaten the Indigo League twice. She now climbs Mt. Silver to fight the mysterious and powerful former champion known as... Red. The fight is bound to be epic, especially considering Anabel's team being about 15 levels under-leveled compared to Red.

In competitive spirit, I will be putting my battle style in set instead of shift, and I will also limit myself to using only as many items as Red does, he either uses 1 or 2, like most big shot characters.

My team is:
1. Snorlax, Lv. 73
2. Metagross, Lv. 69
3. Alakazam, Lv. 69
4. Raikou, Lv. 68
5. Entei, Lv. 68
6. Latios, Lv. 68

Movesets and items are the same as the finalized Battle Frontier team in my first post except Metagross has a Quick Claw and Entei has Rock Climb instead of Facade, to get to Red.

Beginning the epic battle, both trainers send out their partner Pokemon, Snorlax and Pikachu, respectively.

Pikachu leads off with Volt Tackle, as predicted, Snorlax uses Rest immediately and then switches out into Metagross.

Metagross took a Thunderbolt for about 70% damage then set Stealth Rocks, immediately using Bullet Punch to try and finish Pikachu, however, Red uses a Full Restore. Metagross uses a Bullet Punch again, getting Pikachu to about 30% but getting paralyzed via Static. Pikachu goes for Volt Tackle, KOing Metagross, but between recoil and hail damage, Pikachu is KOed immediately afterwards.

Anabel sent out Latios and Red sent out Lapras. Latios went for a Grass Knot, which almost KOed Lapras but left like 2-3% HP left on the bar. Lapras retaliated with Blizzard to KO Latios. Anabel sends in Raikou and KOes Lapras easily with Thunderbolt.

Red sends out Blastoise. Raikou gets another easy KO with Thunderbolt. Red sends in Snorlax next. This is what the Rest from before was preparing for. Anabel takes Raikou back and sends in her own Snorlax, taking minor damage from Crunch.

Red's Snorlax uses Crunch again. Snorlax uses Sleep Talk and hits Curse. Leftovers recovery remedies a lot of the damage being taken. Red's Snorlax uses Crunch again but crits this time, getting Snorlax down under 25%, Snorlax gets another Curse via Sleep Talk. A Full Restore is used on Snorlax, waking him up and getting his health back to full. Red's Snorlax repeats Crunch twice. Snorlax then uses Body Slam to bring Red's Snorlax from 60% to about 5% and paralyzing Red's Snorlax. Red uses a second Full Restore, predicting this, Snorlax uses a third Curse. Red's Snorlax uses Crunch and Anabel's uses Body Slam, which does over 70% damage to Red's Snorlax thanks to the three Curse boosts. One more round of Crunch and Body Slam followed, with Red's Snorlax losing the mirror match.

Red sends in Venusaur, Snorlax switches out into Entei. Venusaur uses Sludge Bomb which hits Entei for about 50%. Entei uses Sacred Fire which, thanks to the Choice Band, KOes Venusaur.

Red sends in his final Pokemon, Charizard. Charizard takes 50% damage from Metagross' Stealth Rocks from earlier, Entei goes for a Sacred Fire to try and get the KO from 50%, which doesn't work and gets Charizard down to 20%. Charizard's Air Slash KOes Entei. Raikou is sent in and uses Thunderbolt, but Red dumps a third Full Restore to heal Charizard. Thankfully Thunderbolt, with the help of Choice Specs, one shot the Charizard.

The battle with Red is complete, and Anabel is the winner!

With this battle complete, we can move onto the true goal of this playthrough, and that's to conquer the SinJoh Battle Frontier.

Last edited:
On my journey through Johto I came across a zubat. I thought what the hell, never did a Crystal playthrough with one, would love to see what its like to raise a Crobat in gen 2. Oh how very wrong this thought was. Oh how very, very, wrong. I dunno if it was soulsilver or Black 2, bit raising a Zubat to Crobat was a breeze, and as it slowly evolved through my playthrough, I loved the little guy. Here? Its hell. Living, breathing hell. Until level 12 were it learns bite, you need to spam supersonic and hope the foe does damage to itself otherwise leech life won't get you far. I managed to get through Sprout Tower with it, only to hit a struggle wall. Same thing with Falkner. This is what I pay for when I restrict myself to region only Pokemon(Kanto with Kanto mon, Johto with Johtomon or Kantomon with Johto evos and so on). It only gets better from here though, with a badge under my belt, I can access stuff like Mareep to even out my team. But looking at Pineco' moveset I might hit a wall there as well. Oh the fun of Johto's many flaws....
Totodile Level 12
Zubat Level 12

I managed to use a neat little strategy on Whitney in Crystal. The two stars were Hoppip (Dandy) with Sleep Powder and Heracross (Havoc) with Fury Cutter. As you can guess the strategy was pretty simple: put Clefairy to sleep and then bring in Heracross to build up Fury Cutter until it takes down Miltank in one or two blows.

My team is shaping up pretty nicely:
-Quilava (Ash Williams)
-Geodude (Rumble)
-Skiploom (Dandy)
-Slowpoke (Kamehameha)
-Heracross (Havoc)
-undecided

Not entirely sure how I'll go at Morty at the moment but it'll probably be Geodude since it gets Magnitude pretty early. I gotta say Geodude and its evolutions are fantastic Pokemon to take on the single player campaign. They have great attacking types with good attacking stats and the moves to use them. They're also learn a few HMs which can be useful. If I ever start training a Geodude just to use against one gym there is a good chance that I'll just keep the line for the rest of the game.

I feel that Fury Cutter is a pretty decent move to give Heracross in this generation since its only other Bug move is Megahorn somewhere in the fifties. With Fighting STAB also leaving much to be desired Heracross has to rely on its high stats for most of the game. That actually helps a lot with using Fury Cutter since it can deal better damage with it than other Pokemon that can learn it and take a few hits more that other Pokemon at this point in the game.

And the journey into obscurity continues! After searching for 2 straight hours for Mareep on route 23 andnhaving no luck, I decided to look up Mareep in Crystal....nope. Why did no one tell me this? I went in blind and have no recollection of Pokemon availability in every game, and I feel like this might be why I never payed attention to crystal. I remember its cool extra rooms in the Ruins of Alph and the Eusine stuff, but my memory blocked the loss of Mareep. This is literally the worst thing in any game imo. Mareep is the quintessential Electric Johto mon, and it just doesn't exist? Damn it Gamefreak.
This is going swell, my team decisions start looking poorer and poorer, Pineco and Foretress have no stab, and I wonder about its popularity. I will persevere though, I am startjng with crystal a journey of sorts, to play with entirely different teams, broaden my horizons and perhaps find new favorites. Its tough, but I will get my dues. Onto whitney!
Zubat Level 23
Croconaw Level 25
Pineco Level 20

Anybody have any good ideas were to go from here team wise? I want just Johto mons, οr Johto evos at the most. I'm thinking of Wobafett, but I am struggling with this team already.

And the journey into obscurity continues! After searching for 2 straight hours for Mareep on route 23 andnhaving no luck, I decided to look up Mareep in Crystal....nope. Why did no one tell me this? I went in blind and have no recollection of Pokemon availability in every game, and I feel like this might be why I never payed attention to crystal. I remember its cool extra rooms in the Ruins of Alph and the Eusine stuff, but my memory blocked the loss of Mareep. This is literally the worst thing in any game imo. Mareep is the quintessential Electric Johto mon, and it just doesn't exist? Damn it Gamefreak.
This is going swell, my team decisions start looking poorer and poorer, Pineco and Foretress have no stab, and I wonder about its popularity. I will persevere though, I am startjng with crystal a journey of sorts, to play with entirely different teams, broaden my horizons and perhaps find new favorites. Its tough, but I will get my dues. Onto whitney!
Zubat Level 23
Croconaw Level 25
Pineco Level 20

Anybody have any good ideas were to go from here team wise? I want just Johto mons, οr Johto evos at the most. I'm thinking of Wobafett, but I am struggling with this team already.

Just as a heads up, Mareep were removed from Crystal. Just thought you might want to know. :p

All joking aside, an Onix from Union Cave might not hurt too much. Oddish wouldn't hurt you much either. How set are you on your Pineco, because a Heracros is always good to have.

Those are my suggestions and should help to round out your team some. I'm not seeing much ahead to bolster your team unless you want a Miltank or Magnemite (only because it gained steel type). You could get the Eevee and go with Espeon too.

I am definitely adding Eevee, Umbreon and Ampharos are mainstays on my Johto playthroughs, not giving up both. So yeah, Feraligatr, Crobat, Forretress, Umbreon, Bellossom, and Piloswine is likely going yl be my team. Piloswine's gonna be swapped for Slugma though, as its a Pokemon I've used before.

Alright, I need to vent here.

Currently, my Nuzlocke Team in White is made up of Scrafty, Cincinno, Cubchoo, and Larvesta. I lost the rest of my new team members while trying to level them up. I called BS on one of them early on only for them to die AGAIN later.

Right now I'm outside Twist mountain level grinding against Audino and trying to get my team to around level 35 so we can take down Brycen. We're close (the new guys are around level 30), but it's still taking a while.

Nuzlockes are hard, man. If it weren't for Loravyre the Scrafty I would have died long ago. Long live Scrafty.

Alright, I need to vent here.

Currently, my Nuzlocke Team in White is made up of Scrafty, Cincinno, Cubchoo, and Larvesta. I lost the rest of my new team members while trying to level them up. I called BS on one of them early on only for them to die AGAIN later.

Right now I'm outside Twist mountain level grinding against Audino and trying to get my team to around level 35 so we can take down Brycen. We're close (the new guys are around level 30), but it's still taking a while.

Nuzlockes are hard, man. If it weren't for Loravyre the Scrafty I would have died long ago. Long live Scrafty.

What is your ruleset for this Nuzlocke?

I've never done a Nuz run through black and white so I don't know how hard it can be, but some are easier than others.

Of course, I've played through the Kanto storyline so many times that that might have something to do with it.

Just defeated Whitney in my second playthrough of SoulSilver and evolved my Golbat into a Crobat at Lv 23, which is pretty easy to do if you capture the Zubat with a Friend Ball and don't let it faint. Now going to focus on making my Ledyba a battler.

Apparently, I used to own Pokemon Diamond. Somehow I have no memory of it.

Earlier this week I started playing it again, and the nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. As of now I am training to prepare for my 3rd Gym battle. Also working on my friendship with Budew in order to evolve it into a Rosalia.

Plus, there is the new addition of an egg.

Well, I lost my White Nuzlocke in Twist Mountain, but went on to sweep the endgame with this lovely lady! Had a fun time with White but I don't think my opinions of Gen V have changed yet. IMG_20160814_022657.jpg

On impulse I decided I must complete the Hoenn Pokédex in Emerald so I could have Chikorita in Gen 3.
That was almost a week ago.
Finally completed the quest.
Those Level 40+ evolutions! Lots of "interviews" with Gabby & Ty were involved. I never realised before how much money they give you.

After a long break, I decided to continue with Omega ruby. In the mean time I had picked up a level hundred event Shaymin.
I left oldale town, and battled a few pokémon. Then I ran into a problem, my legendaries would not obey my commands.
I then realized that could not mow down every Wurmple I came across, with my Lv. 100 Mew, until I had gotten all the bagdes. I had to play the game normally(Oh No!!).
I then went looking for new team members, but I could only find low leveled Zigzagoons and Wurmples. Therefore I threw them all into the wondertrade(Muahaha!!), and ended up with a level 1 Litwick(yay!), and a lv. 11 roggenrolla. I then spent some minuttes in Petalburg woods leveling up Litwick.

My team now consists of:
KFC the Torchic - level 11
Mew - level 100
Manaphy - level 100
Shaymin - level 100
Roggenrolla - level 11
(Some Japanese gibberish) the Litwick - level 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom