• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm making my way to Mallow's trial in Lush Jungle. I've recently added Courage the Wimpod to my arsenal, but it took a few attempts to catch him, as only on the third try did I realize I could surf and loop around to the other side and keep him from dashing into his little cavern. One Quick Ball = a new friend. Although his nature will severely limit the usage of any Special moves (Impish), I gave him Scald and Hidden Power (Psychic) just to tide him over until I either evolve him or get him better moves. Either way, I'm working on leveling him up to the same level as the others. I also boxed Bazooka the newly evolved Toucannon, as he wasn't really resonating well with me. The other big piece of news is that my Meowzma has finally evolved into Incineroar and learned Darkest Lariat. Since I'm trying to level up Courage a bit, I've decided to try (keyword: TRY) to see if I can fish up a Feebas so I can complete that odd job I agreed to. Mostly only using the bubbling places, as that has the best chance. Sadly, all I've gotten out of those spots are... MAGIKARP!!! I swear, I'll make hundreds of Filet-O-Fish sandwiches out of them if they keep ruining my Feebas hunt! Well, at least when I get items instead, they're good ones. I've actually netted 2 Pearl Strings, 5 Heart Scales, and even 2 Bottle Caps, along with the normal Pearls and Big Pearls. Now... if only that kind of luck would transfer into my attempt to catch Feebas then I can finally knock that off my to-do list. I've also decided to keep Violet the Fomantis at least until after she evolves, but I still have a 5 levels to go on her, and I need it to be daytime (as I'm playing Moon right now), so that'll take some time. But so far my team is shaping up well. This is what I've got so far:

Incineroar (Meowzma, Male, 34)
Lycanroc Midnight (Sveta, Female, 30)
Charjabug (Sparkplug, Male, 29)
Fomantis (Violet, Female, 29)
Wimpod (Courage, Male, 22)

I've also made more progress in Sun. I'm on the second island, battled and beat both Hau and Gladion (god, I love both of their battle music), and started to prepare for Lana's trial. Late in the trial, Silverbolt the Rockruff evolved in Lycanroc Midday and gained Accelrock, followed by Brick Break, to give him a nice range of moves for now. The trial itself was a dozy for me, but Mero the Brionne won the day with a combination of Hidden Power (Grass) and Disarming Voice, but she was knocked down to about 1/3rd health by the time the trial had ended. But she championed the day, as she was my only Pokemon that resists Water (though I had KO Joe the Crabrawler and Munchie the Snorlax as backup, and no WAY would I put my newly evolved Silverbolt within harms range like that). Started to do some fishing in order to hunt down that Feebas while training up a Gastly to become Haunter (both for data and for something else, but I won't say what to avoid spoilers). I'm almost tempted to ask the community if they'd be willing to trade a Feebas egg, but I've got nothing truly worthwhile in exchange right now, so back to fishing for me. When I was done with that, I pounded some sense into Team Numbskull... I mean Team Skull, then took on the Battle Royal. Surprisingly, both Hau and myself ganged up on Gladion, burning Null in the process, allowing me to take him down. I probably would used Mero to go after Rockruff, but anyone who has played this far knows that Rockruff likes using Protect a lot, so that would be just wasted attacks, so it's best to go after the tougher target. Now I'm taking a break before resuming. My team is as followed:

Brionne (Mero, Female, 29)
Lycanrock Midday (Silverbolt, Male, 26)
Crabrawler (KO Joe, Male, 24)

Taking a break on Mount Hokulani and going to take on the 5th trial next; current team is Primarina, Magneton, Toucannon, Grimer, Mudsdale, Hariyama.

@swiftfox I have a Lycanroc named Petra, too! =D

With that said, I was stoked to get Rockruff. I'll miss the little pup but Lycanroc is so cool! Made it to Route 5 and I love riding on a Stoutland! I also noticed that while in Paniola Town, there was a house with Magmar in it. Does that mean Electabuzz is in this game?? Now I know who the fourth slot in my team is going to (or fifth or sixth, depending on who I capture next).

All of my team (all three of them!!) are at level 28. Off to the area beyond the Route 5 Pokemon Center!
Great minds ;).
Got lucky against Olivia. She had me dead to rights, but Petra toughed out what should have been a finishing blow and defeated her Lycanroc Midnight.
In Malie City now, heading to Route 10.
Only team change is I'm rotating Ribbons with either Passimian (Lemur) or Beware (Bearcat). Haven't decided on which one yet.

Last edited:
I finished the 5th trial, and was catching more Pokemon. There were 2 incidents:

1. The Beldum that took forever to catch. I swear that they must have the catch rate of a Legendary - and it get worse, as they kept calling out for reinforcement. Fortunately, Sandygast helped a lot here, and I did get a lot of Exp. out of it. I kept defeating the older Beldums frequently, so I bet the one that I caught has pretty good IV's

2. My second shiny - a Ditto with a Modest nature! No perfect IV's, but with bottle caps... I could then declare having a 6 IV shiny Modest Ditto the legit way. :cool:

Currently rescuing Lillie from the Aether foundation. The story of Sun and Moon is definitely more thought out and crafted than XY. Also, Hau is probably the first regional rival that I've actually enjoyed having around. He's not antagonistic at all, just friendly battling.

Taking a little break from Sun for now, I'm currently up to the Pokemon League and ready to take on the newly formed League!

My team is ready as well!

730.png
026-a.png
758.png
038-a.png
658-a.png
791.png

Unfortunately I had to make a tough decision, because I wanted to bring seven Pokemon into my debut League challenge, but obviously can only fit six. I felt obligated to take Nebby with, as it was Lillie's wish for me to give Nebby grand adventures and fierce battles, so I must deliver on that request, but I also bonded with my own Greninja in the mean time, so I'm going to park Kommo-o for this one.

I could've been done with Sun awhile ago but I've just been taking my sweet time with things, really enjoying every aspect of the game, I've often rushed through the games too much, like I did with Y or OR, I wanted Sun to be more memorable and it has produced excellent hours of gameplay for me.

Day 1

The first thing I have to say about this game is that the opening presentation is amazing, especially the music. It's frankly impressive because I did not expect the opening to feel like a grand adventure awaits. It's nice to see that some big things happened before choosing the starter. After that though, things have settled down, but grander things would probably happen in due time.

In terms of starters, the most obvious pick for me is the Rowlet, but the most impressive thing about the Rowlet I picked is that it is a female, which has a 1 in 8 chance of happening. Moreover, it's got a Jolly nature, which is not bad if you ask me, given this starter's preference to Physical attacks. The IVs might not be as impressive though. Still, can't complain about a female starter since it makes breeding easier later. I named this Pokemon Olivia, because it's an owl, and I am being alliterative with my names for members I am looking to hire.

I think that the developers' intent in making the starters cute in their own way is fruitful, because Rowlet is quite cute, the cutest of the three. I am not sure what Litten was doing when it was first introduced, so that one was the least remarkable of the three. Anyway, the Refresh session is quite cool, able to tap the Pokemon and feed them, although I haven't been able to make Rowlet nod its head when dangling the bean. I think that certain Pokemon has preferences to certain colours, since I think I saw Rowlet showing a dislike after eating a certain coloured food.

Later on, I went to catch a bunch of Pokemon after the obligatory catching tutorial, which I feel didn't last too long. Since I am looking at this adventure as a more long-term affair, I thought it would probably be good to catch as many Pokemon on the way as possible. So far, I've caught Pikipek, Caterpie, Ledyba, Yoongus and Metapod. I am surprised that I haven't encountered Grubbin, which is a Pokemon I am looking for since I am interested in its final evolution. The reason I thought Grubbin would be around is due to the E3 Treehouse session showing that Grubbin could be encountered.

I've heard that the "rival" Hau chooses the starter of a type disadvantage of my choice. This is not quite new since Bianca of Pokemon Black and White did this, but it's new nonetheless because Hau made his pick by choice rather than only choosing it due to being the only starter left. After all, there's no indication that his starter of choice is due to only having two left. This certainly made the battles easier, but at the same time, I found out why making L=A is not a good idea: you can't view move descriptions as long as the control configuration is set as such.

On the way I noticed a Wingull. If you have been catching up with new abilities, you will know that Pelipper has Drizzle as one of its abilities. So I took a chance to catch the never-before-caught Wingull, and what did you know? It's got Hydration, which means I have a potential Drizzle Pelipper early on. I named it Aqua since I thought of Team Aqua when I saw this Pokemon, but then I forgotten my alliterative pattern when I did this. Its nature is Relaxed, which is not bad for Pelipper, who is not fast and would appreciate a higher Defence.

As of now, Lillie will invite the player (as in, me) to Prof. Kukui's lab.

Anyway, that's all for this session. I will be playing more, so more will be accomplished beyond this session. So far, I got the following Pokemon I will be using:

1) Rowlet (Olivia) - Female Jolly
2) Wingull (Aqua) - Male Relaxed

Thanks for reading.

So my guys are around level 10, customised my trainer - raged that twintails and red hair are locked until post game and OMG A SHINY MAGNEMITE. That's being used, seeya Pichu.

Sparkle the shiny Magnemite level 9
Butterfree level 10
Rowlet level 10
Yungoos level 8
Pikipek level 9
Slowpoke level 8

Beat Illma, though was nearly wrecked by that Smeargle

Last edited:
I finally got a female Munchlax after numerous resets; her Nature sucks--Modest--but she's female and that's what matters. I'm currently in Hau'oli City leveling up my team, as I want to be around level 15 or so when I go up against Ilima.

Oh and my Pikipek evolved finally, so there's that.

Added Zygarde to my team. Defeated Lusamine at Aether Paradise. Collected more cells. Arrived on final island.

Captured Solgaleo and about to take on the Alola elite 4.

Also, I transferred Zygarde back to my box. I now almost have a full team of gen 7 Pokemon, with Snorlax being the oddball.

My team

Inceniroar - I taught it flame charge, so it's slow speed isn't such a drag.
Snorlax - Didn't realize how much of a power house this mon can be
Lurantis
Solgaleo
Mudsdale - he's a great fighter as well.
Touccanon - I'm pretty sure this one just replaced Talonflame as my favorite regional bird. I think this one and Snorlax have been my best battlers thus far in the game.

Last edited:
Lune's Fantabulous Fairy Monotype Run in a nutshell (so far):

Currently: Just caught Lunala.

Team: Popple the Primarina, Mustardseed the Ribombee, Diamanda the Carbink, Willow the Sylveon, Argent the Klefki, Bob the Mimikyu

All the crap that's happened so far:
First island:
  • Chose Popplio as a starter, had to solo the trainer school and Ilima's Leafage spamming Smeargle with just Popple.
  • Team Skull proceeds to be Team Skull.
  • Oh yeah, and Fairy-type moves made Totem Raticate pretty easy.
  • Mustardseed joins Lune's team before the first Kahuna and she had a huge defensive advantage.
  • Caught Diamanda before leaving for extra type diversity and stuff.

Second island:
  • Found an Eevee.. but I had to wait a bit for Poke Pelago to open up before it could evolve.
  • Some edgelord challenges Lune and shows that his Type:Null is surprisingly tanky.
  • Had to do some pervy girl's trial where Lune relied on Popple again.
  • Kiawe's trial... Dear god. That Salazzle's a poison-spewing beast. Had to level grind Mustardseed high enough to evolve to outspeed and paralyze it.
  • Mallow's trial... wasn't quite as hard.

Third island:
  • Some random guy throws a whole team of Steel-types at Lune and gives him trouble.
  • ...Then Lune forgets to heal his Pokemon before Sophocles' trial. Fortunately, that one wasn't too bad after proper preparation.
  • Totem Mimikyu was a toughie, especially with Play Rough. After that, Lune brings Argent and Bob into the fold. (Lune was gonna go with a different name, but he really wanted to get out of that place.)
  • Lune invades Po City, where it rains like, all the time, yo.
  • Both times, Guzma put up a moderately difficult fight.
  • Ooh, Dark-type Kahuna! He's probably the closest we'll get to a Dark-type Gym Leader for now.
  • Suddenly, Aether Foundation!

Aether Paradise:
  • Some jerk's Porygon2 spams Recover over and over.
  • Guzma comes back and continues to be his moderately difficult self.
  • Lusamine's Bewear was ridiculously tanky for some reason. It took death (or fainting in this case) by a thousand cuts to prevail.
  • "Ultra Beast Husbando will notice me" and stuff.

Poni Island Disco Palace:
  • Apparently there's no Trial Captain, so Lune just has to fight the newly crowned kahuna right away. Alolan Dugtrio is annoying BTW.
  • Surprise! Random Dragon trial before getting to the altar. That Dragon/Fighting types barely stood a chance. Okay, they KOed some of Lune's Pokemon with Flash Cannon, but still. Massive weaknesses to Fairy.

Ultraspace:
  • DEAR GOD LUSAMINE'S TOTEM CLEFABLE! That thing's like her Bewear, but ten times worse. Took me two tries, but Lune managed to best it and then (mostly) sweep her team with Primarina.

I may or may not decide to write an in-character journal or something.

Last edited:
Have yet to get beyond Route 12 because I caught an Elekid and took the time to train him (named him Bronk, after a friend's dog and the name is very similar to Bronx), who evolved soon after because he was at level 28. I will admit I did cheat to see where I can find a 'kid on Serebii because I was afraid it and the Magmar-line were going to be version exclusives. Turns out neither are exclusive and Route 12 was coming up so I took the opportunity!

So there's the before mentioned Bronk, Felicia the Incineroar, Heathcliff the Persian, and Petra the Lycanroc. All are at level 40. That's my full team. Doubt I'll be catching anything else now and just push on to finishing the game.

I forgot to mention that I did start with the male trainer due to the fact that I knew his clothes were going to suit my style. Sure enough, he gets a Houndoom tank top! I don't know what the female character gets, but if she got something similar or better, then I'll feel silly and wish I started with her, instead. I highly doubt it, but eventually we'll find out when the main Pokemon sites release more clothes data.

Spoilers for length.

Gave myself another good bit of playtime today.

I finally encountered Team Skull and man are they funny. I lol'd when Illima just ignored them. After my Pikipek Bebe finished hitting herself in confusion more times than I could count, we were victorious.

Illima's battle was quite unexpected, but battle stance is hilarious. I nearly lost to him though once he brought out Smeargle with freakin Water Gun.. Thankfully My Litten Abysunnyan burned Smeargle twice and we were able to win. I defiantly need to do some grinding. I believe my current main 3 are all at level 10. I also hope I get to the locations for my Melemele team members by tomorrow.

I checked out the Festival Plaza for a quick minute and got some FC. It was cool, I hope to start spending more time there.

I beat Team Skull again after they were harassing the man in the Berry Fields. Then I met up with Hau again and I'm now preparing to take on Illima's trail.

Overall, things are still looking great and I'm having a blast.

Last edited:
I haven't done much at the moment since I was doing something else. Before going onto the second island, I went around and started taking out the large boulders blocking places where I can't get to before and got Rockruff that I named Phiona. Once at Heahea city on the second island, Nebby is being cute and funny at the same time because it wants to be with the player and not be in Lilli's bag. Nebby finally gets back into Lilli's bag after she gave it a stern look. I explored as much as I could in the city and looked at the cloths store a bit. While going to Lilli in the hotel, I met up with Sena and Dexio and battled them, after the battle they gave me the Zygarde cube. The hotel we saw in the reveal trailer is really nice looking on the inside and the outside, it's kind of disappointing that we can only see the outside and the main lobby. After this, I continued training Phiona so she can catch up to the other Pokemon and battled Hau in Paniola town.

Currently at Aether Paradise to rescue Lillie and Cosmog; defeated Faba again. My current team is Primarina, Magneton, Alolan Muk, Toucannon, Haraiyama, and Mudsdale

I just finished the main game, and I am completely satisfied with the game. It was a huge learning curve, and I think I even got emotional towards the end, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the post-game has cooked up in terms of content.

Last edited:
I just finished the main game, and that has to be the most bittersweet ending ever to the main story ever in the game's history.
That is an opinion and not fact. In my opinion BW and the sequels had the best story and post game.

In this game I lost to the rival for the first time but when you loose their no rematch like continue this battle until the player wins not the rival which is good ide honesty love it

Also my stater is Owl but my rival got the seal isn't he post to get fire cat Pokémon

Day 1 (continued)

We left off from Professor Kukui's lab, who has many Pokemon in his lab. It's fun to see that there's a Poliwhirl in the bottom floor, as well as a Murkrow on the top floor. We can see how the new games put the focus on the Pokemon, as opposed to most of the previous games' format: Pokemon are present outside battle, which is made possible due to 3D making this possible. I guess HeartGold and SoulSilver has this too, but please correct me if I got that wrong.

Anyway, the professor gave me an Exp. Share, which I won't hesitate to use even if it might make the game easy. Besides, I have a Level 3 Metapod that would benefit from evolution (to fill up my PokeDex, of course). Unfortunately, I only thought of this later, because later on I traded Metapod with a new capture in the Trainer's School. Anyway, it's not too late when I realised my mistake.

Before I reached the Trainer's School, I went to a different path in order to get the Grubbin I talked about earlier. Took me a few attempts to find one, but when I did, I used a Yungoos that I caught earlier since Rowlet and Wingull both have high level. Thankfully I got that Exp. Share earlier, as Grubbin will need to sit out of this. Since Grubbin's only have one ability, there's no ability to worry about. I feel that its nature is not too bad, although I don't remember what it is. What I do like is its PokeDex entry, which mentions that it gathers around Electric Pokemon to keep the birds away.

And then, I reached the Trainer's school, which has a nice quest of challenging a few of the trainers there. While there, there is a piece of land that has a few new Pokemon to be encountered. Found there are Magnemite, Alolan Meowth and Alolan Grimer. The natures found on Magnemite and Alolan Grimer seems suboptimal, but since I am not using either, it's no big deal (the former is -SpAtk, +SpDef, the later is Gentle).

The Pokemon I wanted is Alolan Persian, since I loved it more than the original. Reason being that its round face is cute, where the original looks rather skull-like and more freaky in comparison. Meowth has a not-too-bad nature Timid, since its offensive stat is biased towards Special. Good thing about this Meowth is that it was holding a Quick Claw, which I just realised when it used it while I through a Premier Ball. Its ability is Pickup, which translates to Fur Coat when it evolves into Persian.

After I finished battling the rest of the trainers, I battled the teacher. Problem is, I didn't heal after my encounters with the 4 trainers and wild Pokemon, so I have three weak party members and one underleveled one. This means I need to rely on Potions to withstand the onslaught of Magnemite and Meowth, and it's a good thing that Rowlet has Astonish for Magnemite. Speaking of Astonish, I realised that an avatar where Mimikyu walked away from Mismagius was it using that attack. Ultimately, I let Rowlet survive, but let Grubbin and a weak Meowth faint. Interestingly, a fainted Pokemon is shown to be sleeping in Pokemon Refresh.

Finally, I retrieve the Munchlax with Snorlium Z for my Mystery Gift.

My last stop is when reaching the City, which is a good place to call it a night.

Members:
1) Rowlet (Olivia): Jolly (F)
2) Wingull (Aqua): Relaxed (M)
3) Grubbin (Loki): Relaxed (F)
4) Meowth-A (Paul): Timid (M)

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom