• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent more than 5 minutes in the melemele sea screwing around with this one corsola waiting for it to summon a mereanie so I could capture the mereanie. It's funny how if corsola summons a mereanie it attacks the corsola instead of you; corsola is like "Crap this trainer's pikachu is really scary someone come help m-- OH GOD NO NOT YOU ANYONE BUT YOU!!!"

I just beat the... very strange 3rd Kahuna, and have stopped right in the middle of a plot twist. At the start of the game, I kept laughing at the Team Skull grunts, as they were totally hokey. But at the point I'm at now they're getting rather creepy. :/

Anyways, My dream team so far:

Oricorio Pom-Pom
Sandygast
Crabrawler
Ribombee
Decidueye
Primarina

All are at level 40 or 41 right now. Depending on circumstances, I may switch Pom-Pom birdie to the Baile form. I'm not sure about Crabrawler, though - maybe I'll switch to Jangmo-o or Drampa or something like that later on.

Just finished all Akala's trial. Lana's trial is similar to Ilima's IMO, but the totem Pokemon looks more menacing so that's OK. Kiawe's trial, though, is funny. I like how I've already really focused to spot the difference after the first dance to found out that the differences in the next dance is so prominent. It so hilarious I laughed so hard. Probably my favourite trial so far. Mallow's trial is quite enjoyable as well. Really love how totem Lurantis appeared.

I just got out of Diglett's cave when I realised it's already past 2 AM and I need to sleep.

Current Team: Chvette (Dartrix), Brionne, Ka'lio (Mudsdale), Chléo (Salandit F), Tesla (Charjabug), Quiao (Crabrawler).

Last edited:
Fought Guzma yesterday. I think Shisa has 9 lives. Down to 1 HP and then tanked 3 razor shells in a row to outlast Golisopod. I think that's a first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Liked the first trial. It didn't required a lot of thought but I liked the atmosphere and how no one cared about Team Skull participating.

The first grand trial was a letdown. It wasn't as flashy as it sounded, the music wasn't anything to take note and it just felt like a Rival battle. Hala's Crabrawler's attack was less than half my Crabrawler's attack, as it only did tickles to my Cutiefly. While I didn't OHKNO the Totem Gumshoos and Hala's Pokemon the difficulty seems to be lower now, maybe it's time to turn off the Exp Share.

I like that some dialogues change based on the actions you do, Lillie mentions my Cutiefly because I used him in a wild battle before finding Cosmog, and Hau also mentions that I didn't used any Z-moves against Hala.

Brave Litten, and the stat spread is friking sporadic. On the other hand, its IVs have to be more then average, that is a helluva high HP stat. Was going to go for Rowlet, but Incineroar has been growing on me as of late, and I felt like it was the right choice. First fire starter since charmander, actually. I kinda want to reset to see if I would get different stats, but that cutscene and the fact that I might never get Brave nature again is holding off the urge. Can't say much else, beyond the fact that texture work has gone down the shitter, XY was better in some aspects.

I looked at how fast I was going through the game, so I have decided I'm just going to go a little slower with my copy of Sun. Spend some more time training too. I have to admit, this game is significantly harder from X and Y. I just defeated Hapu (kind of weird how her Grand Trial is before the Trial Captain on Poni Island). I failed my first time, and barely managed to beat her the second time around. I really only had one Pokemon that was strong against her ground types. And while her Pokemon were in the range between my highest and lowest level, I still had a really rough time. I had to revive the Pokemon that was strong against her 4 times. So I think I'm going to do a little training, just to get everyone to level 52 or so. I'll start working on that later. I have to admit I wish I spent more time exploring on this run, but I think I was so excited to see the story to the game that I rushed a bit.

Meanwhile while I'm taking my time with Pokemon Sun, I will also be taking my time with Pokemon Moon. I started soft resetting a couple days ago for my female Popplio. Did 10 soft resets and gave up because jeez there is so much time in between when you can save and when you're able to see the gender of your starter. Went back to it the next day and got her on the first try. Not that I dislike the idea of a male Primarina, I actually do really want a male competitive one, who I will probably name Tate, after the girliest guy character I ever made. I just felt like having a female starter, another honor to my first starter Piper the Typhlosion, who was female on the first time, and whose name relates to a leader, like my Incineroar on Sun named Alaka'i. Named her Aurelia and had my first time with Hau. I plan to go much slower, and exploring more. I might even try to get a shiny for this run. I've never done a run with a shiny before, and I really like how Shiny Ribombee looks, so once I get to where you can catch Cutiefly I'll probably work towards that shiny one.

I met with some friends at the college and talked to them for a bit. I even battled one of them with my team on Sun. Now this guy actually does real competitive play, and I have only beaten him a few times out of the many many battles we've had. Now granted his team only had one competitive viable Pokemon, since he bread his Rockruff, but I was still surprised that I managed to beat him in our battle. I think the odds were kind of in my favor though because he had 4 Pokemon that were weak to my Passimian

Alright, seeing as I've gotten a good deal of progress~ I'll leave my thoughts! :3

Well, first big oops was forgetting to save before picking the starter~ XP Usually I reset for a female but I didn't feel like going through the trouble of saving Nebby again since I only saved after I got out of bed. Oh well~

Moving on, the region is gorgeous to say the least! The graphics are amazing and everything just feels so much bigger and better!

Hau's an alright character so far, but he seems to lack depth~ Just seems like a weaker Barry. Lillie, Kukui, and Hala are nice, with Lillie not being as bad as I thought she'd be ATM~ I have to say, my mom saluting the sun every morning was pretty funny to me!

Caught a few mons, one of which has earned its place on the team~ Speaking of, I like the option of being able to have a full party and choose who I want to send to the PC.

Did a bit of customization, though not a fan of the current look I have. All I wanted was longer hair, but I'm not too fond of the longer styles available. Hopefully there will be some more later on~ Otherwise, got some long purple socks and purple shorts. Did some Yellow contacts, but also kinda meh.

I just beat the first Trial and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. But still did offer a good battle~ I like that you can't leave until it's done. Nice for a challenge! On the way to see Hala! :3

Current Team:
Torracat - Jongdae, Cutiefly - Kyungsoo

Other Party mons:
Alolan Grimer, Pom-Pom Oricorio, Pikipek, Drifloon

Finally! My copy of Sun has arrived!

*inserts own name*

"You can't enter that word."

I'm so sad right now.

Caught Naughty nature and alert to sounds Solgaleo. Replaced Toucannon with Solgaleo in my team. Defeated Gladion as I made my way to league. Collected items and some Zygarde cells. Entered the league with my team of Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Vikavolt, Solgaleo and Zygarde. Defeated Elite four and professor to become the first Alola pokemon league champion. Caught Tapu Koko afterwards.

Posts will become much longer now that I have more playtime. Today, I basically finished off Melemele Island.

So first things first, I took on Illima's trail and I honestly thought I would fail. The first freaking Yungoos I battled had Hyper Fang and was destroying my team with ease. Fortunately, I didn't have any issues with any of the others so it was fine from there. Team Skull continues to provide lots of laughs.

The Totem battle was super difficult, and it also didn't help that there was a major lag. If it weren't for my Ledyba Mr. Chu learning Reflect right before the battle, I know I would have lost. It took the combined efforts of him, BeBe the Pikipek with Rock Smash and Silk Scarf boosted Echoed Voice and my Litten Abysunnyan to beat the Gumshoos and Yungoos.

After clearing the Trial, I rewarded my team with a PokeRefresh secession and all 3 of them went up a level in affection. Mr. Chu was even thinking about Poke Beans at one point and Abysunnyan wanted to be petted:3

I caught an Alolan Diglett upon leaving the Verdant Cavern. It attempted to summon a Pokemon through S.O.S, but failed, lol. In fact, that was the case for every Pokemon that attempted it except one Oricorio in the Melemele Meadow.

And speaking of Melemele Meadow, I went in there and caught an Oricorio of my own, named Cheeri, and my second official team member, a Cutiefly named Soleanna. I nabbed her with the Net Ball that was in the meadow. I'd also really like Nebby to stop running off if Lillie is just gonna make me go after him every single time...

I sure as hell didn't expect another battle from Hau. Abysunnyan took out Pikachu while Soleanna and BeBe's combined efforts beat Rowlet (which is almost a direct repeat of my battle with him at the festival).

I intentionally avoided the trainers at the cemetery and on Route 3 so that I could train Soleanna once I caught her. I got her up to level 15, the same level as Abysunnyan.

Then came the Grand Trial against Hala. After what happened with the Totem battle, I was sure I'd have trouble against Hala, but it was fairly easy. Soleanna took out Mankey with ease, Cheeri was a bit underleveled, but she took out Makuhita (after getting a nice large dose of Arm Thrust) without much trouble and then Soleanna took out Crabrawler. I used Abysunnyan first to weaken it with Growl. Then Crabrawler used All-Out Pummeling on Soleanna which didn't do much at all, probably because it used a -2 fighting-type attack against a Bug/Fairy-type:)

After getting my Ride Tauros, I went to the Ten Carat Hill and caught my 3rd official team member. A Rockruff named Helios. Now, I don't really like this mutt at all, nor it's evolution, but I wouldn't feel right ignoring something as unique as a version exclusive evolution. I rarely ever use version exclusives as it is so I thought I might try this out. Fortunately, since I'm playing Sun I'll get the superior form of Lycanroc, so that's a bit of a bonus.

Lastly, I deposited all of the Pokemon I had minus my main 3. And with that I made my way off to Akala.

Before ending this, I just want to say how I love that trainers are actually using PokeBalls other than the standard. That's something I've always wanted and never thought we'd get. I even mentioned this in the "what you want, but know we won't get" thread. I'm so glad I was wrong and that they finally implemented this into the games.

Yep, got a lot done today. Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Last edited:
Didn't make a whole lot of progress, fell asleep while playing, just got the RotomDex, so not a lot of progress was made. Game is super linear, but I am not minding it too much, presentation awkwardness aside. Nebby being a constant dick and not staying in thr bag is hilarious, and I love how on the nose the games are.
Alola must have a load of friendly Pokemon, its such a bright and comfy place!
Once you start your Island Challenge and gain a Pokemon, you can go virtually anywhere!
Me:
593.gif

Also looks like I am finally gonna be doing team rotations. I dunno if I am keeping Pikipek, but because a good chunk of Pokemon I want to use are late game(Jangmo-o, Dhelmise, Togedemaru), I am definitely raising a Pichu to cover the electric gap, and then I'll see if I want to also add Dewpider and Sandyghast on the 2nd Island, or if I am going to stick with the Mudsbray line when I finally get it. Also love how there is a sense of easy and completion to catching Pokemon, that Ball shortcut in battle is doing wonders.

While fooling around in my festival plaza I found the trainer model of someone I wonder traded with in the castle in the center and they gave me a festival coin after thanking me for the wonder trade. Apparently you can get festival coins occasionally through wonder trading but I have no clue as to what makes other people show up in my plaza castle after performing a wonder trade.

Finished the first Totem Gumshoes, loled at the Grunt guys helping me out with the Yungoos, saved next to Lille cuz waifu and I'll help her Cosmog later. Was very interested in the Z moves and how status moves like Dragon Dance or Toxic would work with them

Sparkle the shiny Magnemite level 13
Butterfree level 13
Rowlet level 13
Yungoos level 3
Pikipek level 13
Slowpoke level 13

I beat the game on the 19th, but I just got the Alola Dex finished and collected the Shiny Charm.

My team is Incineroar, Lilligant, Carbink, Crobat, Mimikyu, and Doggy Zygarde. As of the post-game, Zydog has Power Construct as an ability.

Finally got my team leveled up to around 35, and am now continuing my adventure. My current team is still Incineroar, Mudsdale, Lycanroc Midday, Magneton, Vaporeon and my beloved Oranguru. My team's a little better now that I've added Vaporeon to it, though I may still want to find other alternatives to Lycanroc or Mudsdale. I'm thinking of replacing Lycanroc, actually. I'm not sure with what though.

Beat Sophocles today. I'm really curious who the Kahuna of Ula'Ula will be. I also caught a Ditto while scaling down the mountain. Now that I have it and my Flame Body Magby, I can get right to breeding some Pokemon. I look forward to doing that, but for now I'm going to continue exploring Ula'Ula. I'm currently making my way through Route 10 to get to the next trial captain.

Taking on the Pokemon League and have just defeated Hala and Olivia. My current team is Primarina, Magnezone, Toucannon, Mudsdale, Hariyama, and Solgaleo.

Day 2

I briefly played Pokemon in the afternoon to check on my Pokemon's natures (for writing my travel log), which would be night in Pokemon Moon. One thing that isn't possible to do in the day is to capture an Alolan Rattata, due to it being only available at night. After capturing the Rattata, I would continue my journey at night (daytime in Pokemon Moon).

So, the first thing I did at Hau'oli City is to get an upgrade, and so I finally got the PokeFinder. In the Demo, I wasn't able to take advantage of the 3D effect since I forgot it had that, but now I can see that the 3D is quite nice to look at. First a photo of Pikachu is taken, and then I took Growlithe twice, which was enough to get me a Level 2 camera (has an extra zooming feature).

The clothes store was another place I gone to, and I didn't get too fancy, opting for grey clothes and contacts, because the plainness just seems appropriate. I didn't get a haircut since it's on the pricey side. On a brighter note, I got 10 Ultra Balls for obtaining at least 10 species of Pokemon in the PokeDex, which is quite welcomed, since I will need it later.

There are quite a few captured species today, but as soon as I saw the first Abra, I knew I have to throw an Ultra Ball or else it will Teleport away. Its nature doesn't seem optimal, admittedly, but that's life: not everything is perfect.

Team Skull is next up on the list, and I beated the Grunt's Zubat with two rounds of Echoed Voice (taught to Wingull). I wanted to use the same strategy on Ilia's Pokemon, but the Defence drops from Yungoos and a critical hit from Smeargle spelled the end of this strategy before Wingull got the fourth hit in (note that Yungoos was defeated first). Still, Alolan Meowth saves the day with its Fake Out and continual attacks on Smeargle.

With that, I can enter Route 2, which contains more new Pokemon, and my haul for the time being were Makuhita, Drowzee, Gastly and Drifloon. Before that, I captured Pichu and Abra, and evolved Butterfree (and then store it in the PC within the first opportunity). The two temporary members of my team are Drifloon, which I forgot to nickname, and Gastly, who I nicknamed Gus. Their natures seem suboptimal, though, given the Speed reduction natures, despite both of them having an Attack-raising nature.

After clearing the cemetery of any obtainables, I called it a day:

Members:
1) Rowlet (Olivia): Jolly (F)
2) Wingull (Aqua): Relaxed (M)
3) Grubbin (Loki): Relaxed (F)
4) Meowth-A (Paul): Timid (M)
5) Drifloon (forgot to nickname): Brave (F)
6) Gastly (Gus): Quiet (M)

Thanks for reading.

All members of my team (Felicia the Incineroar, Petra the Lycanroc, Heathcliff the Persian, and Bronk the Electabuzz) are at level 47 and we're all on our way to Po Town. Did some exploring in the previous islands to see what I missed. I also just caught a Mimikyu and I thought that thing was creepy before, its Pokedex entry is one of the most messed up things I've ever read in regards to a Pokemon game. Its right up there with Hypno's and Drifloon's entries.

Onwards we go!

I played for about 1 Hour and 35 minutes on Pokémon Moon.

Day 1:
Choose a different skin tone for my character just for variety, and proceeded to do all the prologue

I choose Rowlet because I like Rowlet as you can tell. And to my utter surprise, I got a female Rowlet.

tumblr_oh4q2qV9Vf1vddhpco1_1280.jpg

And I joked about getting female starter on my first try after seeing someone constantly resetting to get a female Popplio a week ago!

I named it Artemis. And we became best pals.

I caught myself a female Pikipek (nicknamed Pearl after resembling Pearl from Steven Universe), male Caterpie (nicknamed Bugsy), and a male Yungoos (nicknamed Biff Tanen, though I should fix the last name with the Name Rater. Should be Biff Tannen). I have now gotten to the Professor's house (looks more like shack than any research lab) and the Rotom Pokédex. Now I'm tasked to go to the Pokémon School.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom