• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 5 and Day 6

When I reached Akala Island, I realised that there is a character named Olivia, which is also the name I used for Rowlet. If I were to know that there is a character named Olivia, then I wouldn't call my Rowlet Olivia. Even if I could change the name, I didn't name it as any other.

I found the Name Rater, which I used to rename a couple of Pokemon I renamed Wingull to "Pelly" after Roald Dahl's story character in "The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me" (me being a monkey). I renamed Drifloon to "Billy Bob" while I am there. It is here that I also captured Mudbray, but I didn't add it to my team until I read that it is a top-tier in-game Pokemon on Smogon. Thus, I renamed Mudbray as "Horace" after the Mickey Mouse character.

There is a Day Care centre on the way, and I took advantage of it by breeding Dartrix and Wingull, because the potential Rowlet will be good trade fodder. Utilising the spinning Tauros trick I saw earlier, I managed to get an Egg and hatch it in a short time, which makes me a proud owner of another female Rowlet, which is a pleasant surprise, because female starters are not quite common.

On Route 6, after a battle with Gladion, in the Pokemon Centre there was an offer for Bounsweet just by trading Lillipup. Since I like Bounsweet, I won't hesitate to trade it away. In fact, it is a much better deal than I expected, mostly because Bounsweet has an Adamant nature, which is very good since its final evolution is a Physical attacker. I think I see a pattern here: the in-game trades before the Totem Pokemon tend to have a type advantage over them, so Machop earlier was supposed to give an advantage over Raticate. Likewise, Wishiwashi will be at a disadvantage against Bounsweet.

In this trial at Brooklet Hill, the Totem Pokemon is Wishiwashi, but instead of the feeble fish faced earlier, it is in its School Form, which makes it a lot tougher. After reading up on how Alomomola is the culprit in making the battle hard, I decided to put Gastly specifically use Curse before it inevitably faints, so that Wishiwashi will get weaker overtime. It kind of worked, but in retrospect, I can see why Rowlet/Dartrix have an easier time here: it is a Grass-type, and it can use Pluck to steal a Sitrus Berry from School Wishiwashi.

The first thing I caught after obtaining a fishing rod is a Feebas, which I admit was pretty lucky, even if I fished it in a bubbling spot. There are more Pokemon I haven't capture yet, which would be a consideration later. Morelull, Dewpider and Surskit are among a few that I am yet to get, so perhaps I would get those later.

When I reached the Wela Volcano Park, as soon as I saw that Salandit can be captured here, I went to attempt to capture one female, since those can only evolve. It took a while before I finally encounter a female, and while there, I attempt to see if I can get a Thick Club from Cubone, mainly because Alolan Marowak kind of needs it to do major damage. Utilising Thief, I test every Cubone I encounter, but to no avail for today.

Team thus far, including Reserves:
1) Dartrix (Olivia): Jolly (F)
2) Pelipper (Pelly): Relaxed (M)
3) Charjabug (Loki): Relaxed (F)
4) Persian (Paul): Timid (M)
5) Drifloon (Billy Bob): Brave (F)
6) Gastly (Gus): Quiet (M)
7) Misdreavus (Benedict): Naive (M)
8) Roggenrola (Charistan): Naughty (M)
9) Mudbray (Horace): Serious (M)
10) Steenee (Bouncee): Adamant (F)

Thanks for reading.

We beat Captain Ilima's (boy does her name need a serif typeface) trial today. Our first evolved Pokemon: Aria is now a Trumbeat. Starter has yet to evolve despite being higher level ... hmm.

Three Pokemon have died so far (Meowth, Rattata, and Wingull) but this is not a strict Nuzlocke by any means of the term. The remaining team members are now all Alolan natives (and species, not forms).

The fire totem has been slain. I did however lose once... Didn't lose a Pokemon the second time though lmao. Should've lead with my Rockruff in the first place XD though it had little chance last time when it was poisoned, venom drenched twice then venoshocked. Torment was quite the trouble, it did not allow a second Bubblebeam, which then lead to my final Pokemon's death. The dancing stuff was weird but hilarious with the random Hiker then Lizard.

Sparkle the shiny Magnemite level 22
Dartix
Turtonator
Rockruff
Trumbeak
Araquanid

L23

I finished the electric and ghost trials.
Mudsdale continues to be my MVP he dominated both trials and one shotted Mimikyu with Heavy Slam. I am now on my way to Team Skull town. I also added Mimikyu and Gengar to my rotation teams. I have almost two full teams now. Weird.

So we've set out from Aether HQ and Lillie's new look is adorable! I loved her little Z-Pose~ X3 I can't believe it's a female lead I'm actually liking/ not getting annoyed by~ So refreshing from the past two gens (not counting Serena). Made it to Poni Island and met up with little Hapu~ We're now on the way to the ruins~

Encountered a bit of a level jump and almost got swept by a trainer with a Garbodor~ Back to grinding~ >_______>

I'm about to challenge Hala, and I'm forewarned he specializes in Fighting types. Between my Cutiefly, Oricorio, and Trumbeak this should not be a problem.

Managed to defeat the League. My team was underleveled, so the E4 and Champion were a huge challenge. Kukui managed to take out everyone but Shisa. Thankfully, the Arcanine managed to take out Kukui's last 2 Pokemon and seal the win for me. And to think I was considering leaving him out of my team...

Anyway, the HOF...

Kuro (Persian), lvl 55
Tyto (Decidueye) lvl 52
Petra (Lycanroc) lvl 52
Yuki (Ninetales) lvl 51
Lynx (Espeon) lvl 52
Shisa (Arcanine) lvl 52

Almost lost against Totem Mimikyu. Practically 2HKO'd most of my team aside from Bewear, in the end I had to sacrifice Bewear just so I can finish it off with Salazzle. I then made my way to Po Town to rescue some kid's Yungoos, and absolutely enjoyed every minute of my infiltration into Team Skull territory. 10/10 atmosphere and bgm would visit again. Returned to Aether House, only to be informed Lillie's been kidnapped. Gladion then appeared. The plot's finally kicking into high gear folks. Or it would've, but I spent a good hour or two looking for Trapinch and then leveling it up so it catches up to the rest of my party.
I then returned to Malie City and completed Nanu's grand trial before infiltrating Aether Paradise with Hau and Gladion. Made it to Lusamine's room, and battled her twice because I wanted to see the pre-battle cutscene again. Also because I love her first battle theme. Afterwards, she and Guzma went to the Ultra Beasts' realm.
The next day, Lillie and I (or rather, Lillie and Hikari) headed for Poni Island. Bred Decidueye and traded two Rowlet for a Litten and Popplio immediately after arriving at Seafolk Village. I'm taking my time with Moon to be honest.

Party:
Decidueye lv.43
Ribombee lv.43
Salazzle lv.43
Lanturn lv.43
Bewear lv.43
Vibrava lv.43

Last edited:
Got a whole lot done and the plot is picking up quickly.

I met Guzma for the first time finally. After defeating him, Kukui gave me the Incinium-Z. I will never be using it though, as I have no plans to evolve my Torracat, Abysunyan, into that grotesque evolution.

I took a detour to Blush Mountain where I caught a Turtonator and my 5th official teammate Apollo, a Togedemaru. I gave him the Steelium-Z for 2 reasons. 1. His only steel-type move is Gyro Ball, which is hella weak on its own since he's so fast. 2. Corckscrew Crash looks way more badass than Gigavolt Havoc.

I ran into Gladion again before running off to take on the ghost trial. I really liked how this trial incorporated the Poke Finder. And let me tell you that I nearly lost my s*it when that Mimikyu appeared behind me. Totem Mimikyu, or as I call her, Totem Mimikiller was a monster. That thing demolished Abysunnyan, Helios (Lycanroc), and Soleana (Ribombee) before they could do much of anything to her. Solaris (Tsareena) was able to survive, mainly due to Refresh affection, and weaken her enough with attack lowering Trop Kick's so that she could take her out with a Bloom Doom. After that battle, I was so glad I decided to evolve her.

After I finished the trial, I caught a Klefki and a Mimikyu of my own who I called Kyu. I added him to my team to use before I get my last team member on Poni island. I leveled everyone aside from Apollo to max affection in PokeRefresh and then battled Plumeria.

We made the journey to Po Town to rescue it from Team Skull's clutches. I like and dislike how they actually made the Skull grunts charge you to use the center. I took me a long ass time to get to Guzma because I'm stupid and didn't remember Team Skulls ridiculous rules... After beating Guzma, I gave the Bugnium-Z to Soleana. so she now finally has a damaging Z-Move. I hope to learn more about Guzma soon.

And now the plot continues to progress as Lillie gets kidnapped and mystery man Gladion freaks out for no explained reason. I'm so hyped to know what these guys relationship is and what the heck is going on. I was shocked to find out that other mystery man Nanu knew Gladion and was the freaking Kahuna. I thought it would be Hapu since I kept seeing her everywhere, so I was thrown totally off guard. Despite being super under-leveled, I won with few major issues.

And now I'm in Aether Paradise to try to figure out what the hell is going on with Lillie and Gladion.

I'm super hyped to see what's going to happen next. Things are getting really interesting.

Last edited:
Completed Moon version, caught all legendries and ultra beasts, playing Sun now and on to the 4th trial!

Started Pokemon Moon; selected Popplio and then defeated Hau. Going to the festival next.

Finished catching all basic stage pokemon. Got some middle/final stage due to previous stages not found in region. Glad to have gotten shiny Sandile yesterday. Defended my champion title again.

Beat the main game with only four Pokemon, all at level 72. My partners in crime: Felicia the Incineroar, Heathcliff the Persian, Petra the Lycanroc, and Bronk the Electabuzz.

While it was a nice addition, storywise, the ending story and credits went on FOREVER. It was a little too long for my liking. I guess after beating the main game, I just wanted to save and take a break, but nope! Long ass story time! Eh, oh well. I enjoyed it. Now to look forward to postgame content. Really hoping they didn't skimp out on that. They didn't skimp out on the credits so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Well, I beat
Little Hapu, the Poni Island Kahuna after grabbing the Moon Flute~ I have to say, I enjoyed seeing her take on the role of Kahuna in the story. Originally, I thought she was just lying about not being Kahuna, but it was her late grandfather who was before her. The battle itself wasn't too bad until I noticed her mons were a good 4 levels above mine! Alolan Dugtrio did a good bit of Sweeping, but we were able to put the stop in him eventually and the rest of the team wasn't too hard of an issue.

Moving on to Poni Canyon, Lillie's just adorable. Again, I'd usually find a character like hers annoying, but she's not completely helpless like others on her role and actually DOES want to get stronger~ It's great to watch. And her choppy Z-Pose gets me every time~

More challenging trainers but EXP shall not be wasted! No matter how many Potions I have to waste~ Continuing on through the Canyon for now~

~~~

Got through to the peak of the canyon and finished the Final Island Trial~ Kommo-o was tough with this Steel coverage moves and Scizor summoning, but I was able to pull through in the end. The woman who gave me the Fairinium Z...I don't think that'll be the last I see of her~

So we made it to the summit and we able to play the flutes (didn't know we were that musically talented) to summon Lunala who swiftly transported us to the Ultra Beast Universe.

So inside Guzma tells us Lusamine's good and cray cray...obvs~ And it's up to us to save her. After a somewhat cute lecture from her daughter, Lusamine goes all kinda crazy, merges with Nihilego, and takes us on in a final battle.

I was a good deal underleveled, if I do say so myself. Clefable was a huge task with my team having nothing to hit her with for Super Effective damage. In the end, it came down to a Lucky Crit and some Confusion Hax getting that thing out! The rest of her team was fairly easy from that point on, though her Bewear was INSANELY bulky! It was only some weird plays on her part (Pain Spilt on my mon with half health) that made us get the win. After that, Nihilego and her separated and Lusamine finally fell, and tells Lillie she's beautiful~ Fortunately for us, she's still got some life left in her and after Lunala teleports us out to the human world, Little Hapu arrives to send her to safety~

Lunala decides she wants to keep traveling with us and Lillie gives a heartfelt wish to me to take Lunala on all the adventures she can't, being that she's not a trainer. It made me a bit sad that Lillie still, after all this, didn't want to become a trainer. 3: She could have kept Lunala for herself, but decided this was for the best~

Now, hilariously, I never bought any Ultra Balls in game, wanting to wait till I thought would be before this moment, but, as it turns out, the time to battle was now. I literally said to myself that I would not even be mad if I caught it in the first Quick Ball I thew ~ And lo and behold...I did. LMAO! I couldn't be bothered about this huge moment in the game being over in the snap of a finger~ My first game, Diamond, ended up with me Master Balling Dialga, so
no skin off my bones~ Only problem is it's Adamant...like...really? The exact opposite of what I needed? -____- Oh well, it's only for in-game~

Whelp, Nanu shows up and says it's time to take on the League so...better get to grinding~

Last edited:
I just realized I can explore Haina Desert now, so I'm doing it now mainly to hunt for my last team member: Sandile. Before that I traded Haunter for Graveler in Tapu Village's Pokemon Centre, for the sake of convenience. Now I've caught Sable (Sandile) and Honua (Trapinch) and will go deeper into the desert.

I decided to leave Mimikyu out of the team, I wasn't really feeling it for some reason. Probably because it wasn't really adding anything to the team. (sorry Mimikyu I still like you!)

So I think this is my real final team now:

Decidueye lv 34
Ribombee lv 31
Mudsdale lv 34
Mareanie lv 33
Drampa lv 33
Golisopod lv 30 (First Impression is pretty nasty)

I know Golisopod is totally redundant typing wise but I don't care at this point, I'll make it work. I don't really plan on giving Mareanie any water type moves anyway. It's mostly going to fill the role of poisoning and stalling out any Pokemon I don't have a strong counter for. (I have a pretty good combo of Merciless + Toxic + Venoshock + Poison Barb that's working pretty well for me right now)

Character spoiler:

Just bumped into Grimsley of all people, it's pretty surprising to me that he's in the game. Is he popular in Japan?

Last edited:
Okay, a lot has happened since the last time I posted, so I'll just give you some of the highlights.

In Moon, I went on a catching spree before taking on the first trial of the third island. Damn those Skarmory. They've always been tough nuts to crack, but I must've wasted over 20 balls (and went through 5 SOS allies) before I FINALLY managed to nab one. Sveta was a huge asset there, as none of the moves Skarmory knew could do any real damage to her, and her Leftovers would constantly heal all the damage. So she just sat there, soaking up hits, while I tried almost in vain to catch the bloody bird. Moving on, thanks to some good advice on my team's moves, I easily mowed down the Totem Vikavolt with my Sveta using a combo of Swords Dance and Rock Slide. After the trial had ended, I got a good chuckle at Sophocles' nickname, "Soffy", but I didn't expect the other guy to be his cousin. Guess that explains a lot about their almost brotherly bond. Even Rotom got a little chuckle at the "Soffy" name, and I can't exactly blame it.

Moving on, I got to Route 12 and got the Mudsdale update for my Poke Ride and started clomping around. Oh, and by that point, I had done some self-trading between my Sun and Moon version (mostly version exclusives), and I had bred my Primaria in Sun and gave my Moon self its egg. As luck would have it, the egg hatched into a female. Actually, out of the five eggs I bred in Sun, four of them were girls, including the one I gave to my Moon version. That's almost unheard off with starters, due to the 7:1 male:female ratio. They'll make good Wonder Trade fodder later on. I was, at first, going to raise it for dex data, but I've grown very fond of Popplio back in Sun, and this one had a good nature (a neutral one, but those are fine with me), so I put her in the team to see how she fares with my mismatched gang of Mons. Needless to say, my new friend Mero did very well, so she's part of the rotation team now. Anyway, did some more catching and spent a lot of time raising up Mero so she'd be on-par with the rest of the group, which she is now. I also finally decided to turn off the EXP Share, as my team is very overleveled... or so I thought. I'll get to that in a moment.

Met up with Hau and Gladion shortly after all this. Got a little insight on Nebby and that Team Skull wants it because it has special powers. Oooh, the plot thickens. I'm liking Gladion more by the minute, as even though he's technically part of Team Skull, he doesn't give me any bad vibes, and he doesn't seem to be a genuinely bad person. Moving on, had to battle the little tyke at the Aether House before Acerola showed up to tell me my next trial awaits at the abandoned mega-mart. I don't blame Rotom for not being so keen on going in there, it's a creepy place. Did a little ghost photo-shoot, using my sweet Mero's Psychic to whoop the Gastly family before hunting down the Totem. Man... that was creepy, with Mimikyu sneaking up behind me. And here's where I realized I wasn't so overleveled after all... Totem Mimikyu nearly destroyed me! She took down half my team, and her little Haunter buddy kept giving me major headaches. I had to pull out the big guns: Meowzma's Z-Move, as he was one of the two members of my team still standing. Man, I love that Z-Move. The mighty fine feline pulls out a giant wrestling ring and clobbered Mimikyu with one shot, allowing him to clean up the Haunter shortly afterward with a well-placed Shadow Claw. Whew... glad that's over with. And wha!? There ISN'T a back room in that place!? Okay, I'm officially spooked. And as Acerola left, I noticed Mimikyu behind me, lurking behind the store. Okay, that's spooky. But taking up on Acerola's advice to catch some ghosts, I went back into the store (after healing, obviously, have 3 out of 5 teammates were down for the count). Caught everything in there, such as a Haunter for that in-game trade, and I ran into my own Mimikyu. His name is Shadow (yeah, very original) and I'll give you three guess what his nature is...

Lonely. Quite fitting, don't you think?

Anyway, now I'm taking a break to let my 3DS recharge, but now Shadow is part of the rotation team. Plus I have to do a trade in a little while, so I want plenty of battery power for that. Here's my team right now:

On hand:
Meowzma (Incineroar): 44
Sveta (Lycanroc Midnight): 41
Sparkplug (Charjabug): 40
Violet (Lurantis): 41
Mero (Primaria): 40
Shadow (Mimikyu): 29

In reserve:
Courage (Golisopod): 41

That's all for now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I battled Guzma for the first time, too. Man, even he can't make me take Team Skull seriously. No wonder most people in Alola merely dismiss them, they're more like a nuisance than a threat. Still worth some laughs, however, but barely worth the expended PP.

Last edited:
-Cleared the second and third trials. The totems weren't a breeze but they weren't pthat hard, it doesn't matter if you have a good moveset if you don't have AI. Wishiwashi just spammed Helping Hand while Salazzle spammed Torment.
-Lillie and Kukui are finally gone!! Lillie is maybe doing her UB-01 bussiness :p Now it finally feels like the game has more or less the same freedom the previous games had.
-Hau also feels like someone that is doing trials on his own, rather than someone who copied what we were planning to do.
-I'm warming up to Gladion. In prerelease period I thought he was going to be a character you would only battle twice (one time with Type Null in the 35s and one time with Sylvally in the 45s) but I'm glad to be wrong, I like his story. I'm eager to see what he will do next.
-My brother hates SOS Battles. I'm neutral to them. I agree that they are some times are obnoxious, but there's nothing running and Z-moves can't fix.

I decided to leave Mimikyu out of the team, I wasn't really feeling it for some reason. Probably because it wasn't really adding anything to the team. (sorry Mimikyu I still like you!)

So I think this is my real final team now:

Decidueye lv 34
Ribombee lv 31
Mudsdale lv 34
Mareanie lv 33
Drampa lv 33
Golisopod lv 30 (First Impression is pretty nasty)

I know Golisopod is totally redundant typing wise but I don't care at this point, I'll make it work. I don't really plan on giving Mareanie any water type moves anyway. It's mostly going to fill the role of poisoning and stalling out any Pokemon I don't have a strong counter for. (I have a pretty good combo of Merciless + Toxic + Venoshock + Poison Barb that's working pretty well for me right now)

Character spoiler:

Just bumped into Grimsley of all people, it's pretty surprising to me that he's in the game. Is he popular in Japan?
Merciless Mareanie is brutal I love it.

On my second play through, currently in Po Town

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom