• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting off on Moon and got a Modest Popplio without soft-reseting and heading to Kukui's Lab. I already got past the ultra beast missions in Sun.

Current Team (Moon):
Yungoos level 5 female
Pikipek level 5 female
Hiiro(Popplio) level 8 male

In the middle of finals, so haven't had much time to play. Gave up on soft-resetting for a shiny starter in Moon for a bit. Will be a great way to kill time when I'm stuck in an airport in LA for TEN HOURS next week ^@__@^;; Just made it to the Tapu Village or whatever in Sun, and have been spending all the time since wasting all of my Quick Balls on Alolan Vulpixes cause ADORBZ (so if anyone needs one, pm me, I don't need anything in return). Might catch some more tomorrow after my chem exam just for shits n giggles. Am annoyed we can buy Timer Balls at that discount supermarket place but not Quick Balls. Got bored and decided to just let one Vulpix SOS til the end of eternity, but about like 5 successful calls in a Castform appeared ^O__o^ so I murdered the Vulpix (sorry~~~) and caught the Castform. ^o__O^

Fire trial: silly. Leaf trial or whatever: stupid. Electric trial: actually interesting. I liked this one.

Started the post game yesterday where I was surprised to see Anabel acting as a member of the International Police Force. But what does that mean? Yay, Looker's here again. Why wouldn't he be:/ Seriously, has this guy broken a record of most sequential appearances of a single character yet? Anyway, I battled Anabel and won, which was weird considering that I was like 6 levels lower than her. I just jumped into the post game after beating the league so I haven't done any grinding or anything. I'm also really curious about these two. They've been acting suspicious since these missions began and I feel like I'll be in for some sort of "surprise" later.

I've caught 3 Ultra Beasts so far. Nihilego was super easy, only required one Beast Ball throw. One Buzzwole was caught with one Beast Ball, the other required like 10 throws:/ Both Xurktree gave me grief. Each took a while to find and catch. I'll be starting with UB-04: Blade tomorrow.

Also, while looking for these beasts, I've been filling my dex and catching mons I hadn't caught before. My dex just reached 20% before I caught the second Xurktree.

I got through the very short location that is just before the league, then lost to the E4 multiple times due to the massive level difference. It was that point I grinded out 8 levels to match the E4 at level 55. After that, I lost to the champion twice, the second time due to his 6th full restore and a lucky crit. I finally got the win, happy only for Lille to break my character's heart by running off to Kanto. Clearly my character should've gone with her... although then there'd be no one to deal with those Ultra Bests, so I suppose we're both doing important work. I was very surprised to see that Anabel from Emerald was in here, especially that she has visually aged a good 10+ years, which is fair as that's in game how long those games were ago. How interesting that she now works for the police and I guess no longer runs the Battle Tower in Hoenn. This is why I want to see the regions we've been in in the current timeline because with stuff like Anabel leaving, who else has? people like Agatha, Oak and Blaine could've died through old age, retire etc and half the gyms in old regions could have old leaders. Anyway I guess the hunt is now on for Ultra Beasts.

Toucannon LV59
Turtonator LV57
Decidueye LV57
Sparkle the shiny Magnezone LV59
Lycanrek the Lycanrok LV57
Araquanid LV56

Tucannon and Magnezone put in the most work, so they ended up way OP compared to everyone else!

Caught my first Alola shiny. A Gumshoos at Tapu Village.

Been evolving my pokemon to add to my pokedex. Could have caught their evolutions but I chose to raise them instead.

I just picked up TM28 (Leech Life), which seemed odd, so I checked its description and HOLY MILTANK IS THAT A TYPO? Seriously, 80 base power now. Wow, it's actually useful! I think I'll give it to my cat for now.

Day 11 - 13

In the Hano Resort Area, there's the Pyukumuku-chucker event that rewards handsomely. Basically, by finding 6 of these stray things, you can get a decent amount of cash, which is something I intend to take advantage of if I can. Initially I only caught a Staryu (better catching spot than fishing for one), but later on, when I found out that Sandygeist can be found, I went to catch one. Due to it being sand-based, I named my Sahara. It has a Calm nature, which is not bad. Meanwhile at Aether Paradise, the UB-01 battle is not hard given its weakness to Ground. After that, a trip to Ula-Ula Island is in order. Perhaps this is where the game starts to pick up.

At the observatory, there are some Pokemon that caught my interest. There's Minior, who I didn't expect to be rather common. I've caught a yellow Minior. There's also Beldum, and the fact that I KO that thing is probably a blessing in disguise, since its low catch rate is nightmarish since I don't have Battle Animation off at that time. Perhaps the one that caught my interest the most is Cleffa, since I liked Clefable in Platinum. Given that Clefable is a new Pokemon with its Fairy-type, I didn't hesitate to catch one. The first one I caught has a Modest nature, which is fine by me. I later caught a Clefairy, but its IVs are not as good as the Cleffa I caught earlier (Special Attack especially), so the Cleffa is added to my team.

I was caught off-guard when there is a Trial at the observatory, since I wasn't completely prepared. Namely, I left Marowak in the storage, so my best bet is Mudsdale, who had to rely on Heavy Slam on Vikavolt due to its Levitate ability. If Marowak were there, Vikavolt would likely be walled, for it can't use Electric attacks. After the surprise, I was surprised that I got not only the Electrium-Z, but also the Steelium-Z. I guess some types have no designated Trials or Kahunas?

For the trip on the mountain, it occurred to me that Mudsdale isn't suitable for a regular ride due to how slow it is compared to Tauros or even Stoutland, but since I have no better ride to assign to my D-pad, Mudsdale will be here until a better ride is found. On the way there, I've encountered Torkoal, who's got Drought this time. I chained a bit to hopefully get a better Torkoal. Although not even remotely that colour, I named the Torkoal as Turquoise since that name is close to "tortoise".

The Thrifty Megamart is an interesting location for a Trial. Usually haunted locations are in quaint mansions or cemeteries, but here, an abandoned supermarket that is haunted is something you don't see everyday. The main Totem Pokemon is Mimikyu, who is somewhat difficult since it has boosted stats, and I had a Clefairy that is primed to face Mimikyu. Since I have Shadow Ball and Cosmic Power on Clefairy, along with Eviolite, it's just a matter of outlasting my opponent. I took advantage of the Disguise turn my charging Special Attack with Charge Beam, so the Disguise turn isn't completely wasted.

After the Ghost Trial is over and I got the crystal, I sent back to attempt to encounter some new Pokemon. Although I have caught Haunter, Klefki and Golbat once, I didn't know that Mimikyu is found there until I have seen the guide on Serebii. Since then, I went to attempt to find a Mimikyu, and finally caught one. Its nature is unoptimal, so I went to breed a new one since it's female. Its male partner is an Adamant Drifblim that I recruited from the PokePelago, which is the next best nature after Jolly (I don't have an Amorphous Pokemon that is Jolly). It's also the first time I have recorded the IVs on my Pokemon, and the best one I have had good IVs in all stats except both defences.

The Team Skull hideout is an interesting location, due to the fact that it's one of the few times you can see a location invaded by a Team, and its influence over it. It's also a somewhat humorous place, where the grunts are goofing off, and there's even a scene with you sitting on Guzma's throne. Speaking of that, it's amusing that there's a treasure of Bugunium-Z up for taking. Later on, there's the battle with Nanu, who is funny in his own way. I guess the house that he is in has all those Meowth? Now I can see how he's associated with Garfield.

I decided to try my luck with Wonder Trade. It seems that luck was not on my side since the Pokemon I traded away tend to be unsatisfactory, where my first Pokemon was a Magikarp. If you ask me what I traded away, I basically traded away the Mimikyu that I gotten through breeding, so don't think I traded away common Pokemon. The best I have gotten is a Riolu. I have released some of the Pokemon I have gotten because they have no business in the Wonder Trade, but I should have kept Vullaby and Stufful since traded Pokemon evolve faster.

A fellow Bulbagardener @Lord Clowncrete; has volunteered to trade some Pokemon with me. The main reason I wanted to trade is mainly to evolve my Haunter and Boldore, but the fact that I can trade means that I prepared more than that. Mainly, I prepared a Kadabra, a Machoke and a Phantump so that I can evolve them for filling up the Pokedex. Along that, I have obtained a few more Version Exclusives, namely Cottonee and Rufflet. He's not that far into the game compared to me, so there aren't many version-exclusives that I could have gotten. Perhaps that's for next week.

With that, I have three weather starters in my team, so now Gigalith can more properly synergise with Clefable and Palossand. Now if I can find out where Vanillite is. I heard that it's found in an obscure, and pretty late if unlucky, so I guess it's out of my reach for the moment.

Some might say that I have a lot of Pokemon to use, but there are a few things that allowed me that sort of flexiblity, as opposed to Sinnoh and Unova. For one, there are a lot of Pokemon I would love to use. It helps that Exp. Share makes it easy for other Pokemon to catch up in terms of level. Compounded with the fact that there is Experience scaling, which allows a lower-leveled Pokemon to easily catch up, having a larger team allows for more options.

The last stop I've reached is the Aether Paradise, where I will continue the journey next time.

Team thus far, including Reserves:
1) Decidueye (Olivia): Jolly (F)
2) Pelipper (Pelly): Relaxed (M)
3) Charjabug (Loki): Relaxed (F)
4) Persian (Paul): Timid (M)
5) Drifblim (Billy Bob): Brave (F)
6) Gengar (Gus): Quiet (M)
7) Misdreavus (Benedict): Naive (M)
8) Gigalith (Charistan): Naughty (M)
9) Mudsdale (Horace): Serious (M)
10) Tsareena (Bouncee): Adamant (F)
11) Marowak (Bonita): Adamant (F)
12) Palossand (Sahara): Calm (F)
13) Clefable (Not nicknamed yet): Modest (F)
14) Torkoal (Turquoise): Hardy (F)
15) Mimikyu (Not nicknamed yet): Adamant (M)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
This weekend I finally defeated the final Totem Pokemon.
Coincidentally, it was my own Kommo-o who gave the final blow.
The battle was difficult, I didn't have anything to counter the Totem supereffectively. But I won either way, so thats good. Now that I finished all the trials, I can finally conclude that if I ever have to choose between Trials and Gyms, I'll pick Trials over Gyms any day of the week. Ever since BW whenever I got to the Gym Leader, I battled them with the same number of Pokemon they have, just to make it feel a little more immersive by adding a few rules to it. But with Trials it felt more like a survival challenge. I didn't care about the amount of Pokemon I used, I cared about not losing against the Totem. The way it should be.

Going in to story mode:
After the battle against Totem Kommo-o, I walked up the Altar Of The Sunne and after one hell of a cutscene Solgaleo appeared. What happens after that I'm still a little torn about. Not sure if I really liked Ultra Space. It had a lot of potential, but it was sort of.. meh? Just a single walk, a lot of talk and a battle with even creepier Lusamine. (Why did she turn in to a Nihilego/Lusamine hybrid anyway?) The battle with Lusamine was difficult at first - all of her Pokemon were level 50, while my highest was 49 - I defeated her relatively easily. The biggest challenge was her Fairy-type Clefable which I haven't had much against.
Afterwards I was pretty convinced I killed her, but luckily she lived. And apparently that was it for Lusamine, Aether and Team Skull really. I couldn't believe it was already over to be honest, it felt a little underwhelming, hoping for a bit more explanation later on. I loved Lillie's transition from an insecure girl to being.. well, still insecure I suppose, but at least she is being positive about it.

Did some training, and going to do some more, cause I kinda think I'm underleveld. After that -> on our way to the League!

TEAM:
Decidueye - lvl 52
Lycanroc - lvl 53
Arcanine - lvl 51
Golisopod - lvl 52
Krookodile - lvl 51
Kommo-o - lvl 52

After some time falling in love with Ocarina of Time all over again(the neon water temple is a God Send!) I finally picked up Pokemon Sun again, and proceeded onwards......Until I hit the Hapu encounter, didn't get very far in the end cause I have to work soon. Lol.

Brooklet Hill was so underclimatic, my god. Run through a straight path, take down wishiwashi, rinse and repaeat. That trial site is a bore, I really wish that there was more. Like, if waterfall was still a thing, I could see you climbing higher and higher in the travertines until you hit that unenterable cave for the totem. But no, enter trial site, spam echoed voice till Trumbeak faints, ignore the ally mon to not summon Aololamolamola, and then Magic Leaf Wishiwashi Totem to death. Lana was cute, but what a chore that was. Guess the honeymoon is over.
Team Shaping up to be fun
Trumbeak Lv 23
Torracat Lv 25
Mudsbray Lv 21
Dewpider Lv 22

Reserves
Bouncee Lv 20

I just realized with Stufful joining the reserves, Olivia has no chance in hell of being a tough fight. Nanu is also going to go down so easy.

Day 14

With how Aether has been on the dark side all this while, it felt like danger is around the corner. The stakes has proven to be quite high at this point, where Team Skull and Aether had been in cohorts the whole time, and planning for Ultra mayhem. I admit, that got me really excited in where things will go from here. For the proceeding battles, I planned to play as though I am in "Set" mode, as I am primed to be on equal terms with my opponents. This made the battles felt challenging and as a result, satisfying, so that was a great thing I've did.

For Guzma's battle, I was surprised by how much trouble he gave me. First off, I put his Golisopod to sleep with Gengar. After that, I set up Stealth Rock with Gigalith when his Ariados was out. He sent out Golisopod again, and before I could attack it, the sleep was over soon and KO'ed Gigalith with a Razor Shell. The Stealth Rock proved to be valuable since his Pokemon are all weak to Rock, so the extra prior damage did its job.

In the battle against Lusamine, I lead with Gengar, who went against Clefable. At first glance, it should have been a battle in my favour, but I did not have any Poison attacks at that time, so I had to make do with Shadow Ball and Hypnosis. I've got a lucky break with Cursed Body, because Clefable was forced to switch out for Mismagius, which fell at the mercy of Shadow Ball. The next Pokemon Milotic also fell prey to Cursed Body, which means I can bring in Mudsdale. I wasted a turn to use Toxic, forgetting that Milotic used Safeguard earlier. Fortunately, Tsareena took up the slack. Bewear can't do anything to my ghosts Mimikyu and Marowak, so that's the easiest of the lot. Next up is Lilligant, who I set up with Marowak's Rock Tomb, finally taking it out with Tsareena's Acrobatics. Finally, Clefable's back in, only to fall prey to Tsareena's Trop Kick.

After some of the intense moments has passed and Lillie got a makeover, things had taken for the calm at Seafolk Village. I took the time to go in one of the boathouses, where there is a ripple. So what did I do first? Fish there, of course! The first Pokemon I caught is a Wailmer, but the second Pokemon I've caught is a Dhelmise! There are some moments where 10% chance is not on my side, so this bit of luck is very much welcomed. I named it Kaptain, since it kind of look like a Pokemon for a pirate. Its nature is Careful, which is alright.

With that done, I caught a Ditto for breeding male Pokemon, since I am preparing for my next trade session. I first bred 3 Shieldon, and my next Pokemon will be Archen, followed by a couple more.

Team thus far, including Reserves:
1) Decidueye (Olivia): Jolly (F)
2) Pelipper (Pelly): Relaxed (M)
3) Charjabug (Loki): Relaxed (F)
4) Persian (Paul): Timid (M)
5) Drifblim (Billy Bob): Brave (F)
6) Gengar (Gus): Quiet (M)
7) Misdreavus (Benedict): Naive (M)
8) Gigalith (Charistan): Naughty (M)
9) Mudsdale (Horace): Serious (M)
10) Tsareena (Bouncee): Adamant (F)
11) Marowak (Bonita): Adamant (F)
12) Palossand (Sahara): Calm (F)
13) Clefable (Not nicknamed yet): Modest (F)
14) Torkoal (Turquoise): Hardy (F)
15) Mimikyu (Not nicknamed yet): Adamant (M)
16) Dhelmise (Kaptain): Careful

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I finished the UB missions and am currently focusing on rematching the Elite Four so I can grind and battle all of the challengers. Sp far I have battled Hau, Molayne, Gladion and Hapu. Today I also got the event Magearna, did my first island scan, and got a Totodile.

So I am now currently in the Vast Poni Canyon, just a few steps away from taking on the Totem Kommo-o. My team is now in the late to mid fifties and it's been switched up a bit:

Current team-
Incineroar (Tuvix)
Diver (Araquinid)
Mimic (Mimikyu)
Slice* (Kommo-o)
Boomer (Magnezone)
Bouncee (Tsareena)

I boxed Macho, the in-game traded Machoke and Toucan Sam my Toucannon. For Macho, it was simply because I wanted a Kommo-o on my team. As for Toucan Sam, he just wasn't cutting it. (Yeah, I'm rather disappointed with Toucannon. He just ended up as dead weight on my team, which is a pity as I like the design.)

I'm hoping to do some level grinding after this last trial. Yeah, I expect that to take a while but it's fine. I find level grinding a bit soothing; I don't know why.

* I got the name for my Kommo-o from here. She's female and looks vaguely raptor-like so it seems to fit: Slice (G1) - Transformers Wiki

I finally finished the UB missions. Catching the Kartana was probably the hardest thing. They hit so hard that I could barely keep my team alive to damage them. Not to mention that there were freaking four of them. Fortunately those they were all easy to catch one I got one hit in. Seriously, I swear each of them only took one ball throw each, no matter how much HP they had. I was terrified of Guzzlord because I was so under leveled, but I was able to get off some decent damage and I only needed one Beast Ball to catch it.

I was literally about to lose my mind when Looker came in there saying there was another UB to stop. I was not in the mood to track down any more of those monsters. Fortunately Wicke assured him that it wasn't a UB and I lol'd when the music just went back to calmness. I LOVE that I actually got paid after the mission and not just given some stupid item or something like that.

I feel kind of let down by the ending. Maybe I just hyped myself up for nothing, but I swore Looker had something to do with the Ultra Beasts appearing like they did. I mean c'mon, every time I catch the things, he goes on and on about food, then he runs out the door to put in this "reservation" for lunch, only to run back in the room yelling in some foreign language about how another UB was found. That seemed way too coincidental. Oh well, at least he explained why Anabel was acting so oddly.

Also, I got the QR code Magerna:)

Picked up my daughter, Magearna, a few hours ago and I'm testing her out on Battle Spot! I'm so happy I could give her a nickname and reset for Nature this time around~ XD

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the flea market in the Malie community center where one kid will sell you a dusk stone and the punk girl next to him sells penny loafers that have the shiny colorations of certain pokemon.

After that first visit to the Aether Foundation center, I wasn't expecting a battle against Hau. I seriously wasn't prepared for it -- I succeeded in taking down his Raichu (thank you TM28 Leech Life) but his Vaporeon swept the rest of my team off the field.

Thankfully, the game DOES allow you to lose this battle without sending you back to a Pokemon Center. I will seriously have a Jolteon ready and waiting for our next round.

Anyway, day 3 and it seems nobody on my team's recovered from their Pokerus yet. In the meantime it's spread to almost everyone in my primary PC box.

I caught every sing;e Ultra Beast, (Got the others on GTS) caught Necrozima and got my very own Cosmog. Nebby jr can chill with Nebby, who is holding Lille's Pokedoll. Symbolic. I also got the last few Z stones, so all that's left to do is get to the Battle Tree. Where ever the hell that is. Getting wrecked by Red or Blue could be quite interesting.

Although I do need the other Tapus.

Toucannon LV61
Turtonator LV59
Decidueye LV59
Sparkle the shiny Magnezone LV61
Lycanrek the Lycanrok LV59
Araquanid LV59

I'm on Poni island enduring another cut scene with Hapu's gran. There is a stupid Zygarde cell in the corner and all I want to do is skip through this cut scene and suck up the stupid cell.

We just cleared the Electric trial.
Much like the Fire trial, the buildup to the Totem Pokemon was very entertaining.

My team was also very well prepared. Offensively - Mudbray (with Rock Tomb), Fletchinder, Salandit, and Torracat. Defensively - Mudbray, Jolteon, yellow Oricorio. Salandit got a Toxic on the Totem before getting taken out, and Fletchinder burned its ally Charjabug with Flame Body. A few lucky swaps enabled Mudbray and Jolteon to largely stall for time, but we did land a few hits to speed things up.

EDIT: Oh, and we also had our first run-in with the Team Skull leader.
This one was basically all Oricorio.

Oh, and now I know how the Dancer ability works. Kinda a shame that Oricorio is a specialist, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom