• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a green dye house from Sophocles in the Festival Plaza. It's funny because one of my guests offered me a 3 star version, but I didn't have enough FC. Therefore I went to go earn some more, stupidly forgetting that the guests would be changed after I finished. Not that it mattered because I ranked up and Sophocles himself introduced it to me. It was only the 1 star version, but I literally didn't care. At least I don't need to go berry hunting anymore and I finally match my avatar girl from the Festival Plaza artwork. (Except for the headband since for some reason they won't let me dye it:/). I also got a new white bag and dyed it navy blue since I'd gotten that dye house from someone else as well.

upload_2016-12-18_20-15-47.png

Last edited:
Doing some quick prep before the Poni kahuna battle, and ... WOW, Lv.40 wild Pelipper are SO ANNOYING.

Their moveset: Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up, and Roost. See the problem yet? They basically cannot attack you at all, but in return, they're impossible to take down because they're constantly buffing their defense and healing.

When I finally caught one, I named it "Postality" (as in a Pelipper Post PMD reference, "going postal", and Mortal Kombat style -ality suffix).

I finally caught Necrozma. I was massively underleveled, but thankfully he pretty much spammed Stealth Rock and Iron Defense for most of the battle. I eventually caught him with a Timer Ball. I named him Prism Power because Lulz.

Over the few days, I have caught these Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities:
- Rattata (Thick Fat)
- Pikipek (Pickup)
- Fomantis (Contrary)
- Exeggcute (Harvest)
- Lillipup (Run Away)
- Smeargle (Moody)
- Ditto (Impostor)

I got Ditto first when chaining for one with 4 IVs, while the others require some grinding to get them. The hardest of them all is definitely Exeggcute, since it is available late-game. The main reason for getting Exeggcute is due to learning Worry Seed, which allows me to scout for abilities, while at the same time replenishing its PP when that move's PP got low.

There are a few which I would like to get Hidden Abilities for, such as Magby, Mareanie and Cleffa. The latter is annoying since its default moveset can induce Sleep and Confusion. Maybe some other time I will catch them.

I needed a Destiny Knot for IV breeding, but annoyingly, you cannot get it normally this time around. Instead, you need to get Battle Points, and one suggestion I heard is to grind them with Explosion/Self Destruct to get the points quickly.

In Wonder Trade, the best Pokemon I've gotten was a Popplio with 5 max IVs, which is very good because it's a starter Pokemon that I didn't get, yet at the same time is a very good Pokemon. I eventually evolved it into Primarina for the Dex entries.

And then, I've gotten the Ribbon for my 16 members in my party! Now to catch some Ultra Beasts, and Tapu Lele (the only Tapu I haven't caught yet). My legendaries thus far have the following natures:
1) Lunala (Calm)
2) Tapu Koko (Quiet)
3) Tapu Bulu (Adamant)
4) Tapu Fini (Bold)
5) Type: Null (Adamant)

Thanks for reading.

Did some GTS trading and acquired some Eevees in specialty balls (Love Ball, Heavy Ball, Beast Ball).

So normally I'd be posting on the blogs about this, but RIP in peace those. Therefore, this is as good a place to put this as any. A story of filling my Pokedex by evolving a bunch of stuff while preparing for the League finally after way too long of slow progress, using the Exp. Share for the first time in forever.

So this was going well, but the problem is that some of these things take some serious levels to get up. Certainly, fighting all these things - especially those stupid Carbink whose Skill Swap takes ages even with battle animations off - was going to take some time to level some Pokemon, particularly as they started reaching higher levels. And using them to fight themselves wasn't always an option. I was eying Salamence, but didn't want to raise a Bagon all the way up, nor did I fancy looking for another at 1% and trying to get it to spawn on SOS. So I caught a Sandshrew, and after a bit, gave it an Ice Rock to sweeten the deal. I waited a bit, and lo, I did indeed get one.

That was good. Even more surprising is that it was a trained one. So I decided to try pushing the envelope. You can apparently get a shiny Type: Null, and you can compound your efforts with a Shiny Charm which only needs the Alolan Pokedex completed. Again, I put out an offer, Sandshrew with an Ice Rock, said I wanted to fill my Pokedex, and left it to stew while I charged my 3DS. I wasn't expecting much, but one "you headass" was kind enough to trade me one.

Very much appreciated to the vulgarly named character, and I imagine it leads to several amusing lines of dialogue in the game. But with that done, I then decided to try pushing it to the logical extreme. Once more, I offered a Sandshrew with an Ice Rock. This time, I asked for a Solgaleo. I did some things and went to have a shower, and when I got out, I checked out of curiosity. It was half an hour later at that point. I thought surely this would be too much to ask, and even if not it wouldn't be traded already. But I apparently grossly underestimated people's generosity. I not only got a Solgaleo, but I got one trained to a high level, with a Gold Bottle Cap attached. Likely cloned or not, that was pretty amazing.

In summary, the GTS and the people on it own.

Just finished doing the in-game Battle Dome. Happy to report that, after careful move calculation, my Dartrix knocked out Gladion's Type: Null, the "Masked Royal's" Rockruff and Hau's Brionne simultaneously with Razor Leaf. It was so freaking awesome, I can't stop smiling. :D

Just arrived in Po Town, after going through the hell that is Haina Desert first.

I've also been doing a lot of catching and trading to complete the Pokédex, I'm at 48% now. Furthermore, managed to get 50% Zygarde right after finding Sina and Dexio again on Route 16.

Meanwhile my PC box Pokémon are doing 24/7 stone hunting in Poké Pelago for me, until they find a Dawn Stone so I can have a Froslass :p

My current team:
  • Zev (Lycanroc Midnight)
  • Kira (Snorunt)
  • Gil (Mudbray)
  • Flim (Cutiefly)
  • Noy (Lurantis)
  • Mesa (Metang)

Currently engaged in the Kahuna battle of Poniponi (yes, I know) Island.

First up: my Talonflame vs. her Dugtrio. I immediately discover I am outleveled - my team is Lv.40-45 and hers is Lv.47+. A few Flame Charges alternating with Roost finishes her off.

Next up: Gastrodon. Talonflame swaps out for Decidueye and suddenly ... uh oh, I keep forgetting to actually equip a Grass move on this bird, PLUS we both have healing moves (Roost vs. Recover) ! Well, I can at least run her out of Muddy Waters...

Oh, after that, she swaps out Gastrodon for Flygon. After some swapping (sorry, Talonflame, I'll have to revive you later), Decidueye is able to take it down, though not without trouble. Should've swapped to Primarina...

Next up, Mudsdale! Z-MOVE INCOMING! Decidueye falls (I actually have yet to survive a Z-move) so it's Toucannon's turn. Feather Dance plus a burn from Beak Blast really levels the field here -- Incineroar took an Earthquake to the face with barely a scratch to finish it off.

Now, back to that pesky Gastrodon.... my Pompom Orocorio should be able to mop it up -- er, that is, if using Roost didn't open it up to Ground attacks. OOPS! Okay, Primarina, sing 'er. (misses twice). Okay, time to start reviving. In the meantime, Gastrodon is out of moves and forced to Struggle, which earns it a burn from Talonflame. Fly for the win!

In other news, we just snagged a few frosty Vulpixes off the GTS. One person only wanted a Bounsweet (seriously? something you can get from an NPC trade?) and another person wanted only a Pyukumuku. Plus, this one's in a matching ball color (Dive ball) !

Last edited:
Well I caught my first shiny Pokemon ever: Magby...and then I traded it in a wonder trade. I was hoping to get a Flygon or Jang-mo; instead I got a Gible.

Well I caught my first shiny Pokemon ever: Magby...and then I traded it in a wonder trade. I was hoping to get a Flygon or Jang-mo; instead I got a Gible.

You gave away a shiny Pokémon for the hopes of a non shiny Pokémon that you could already capture in game, without even any kind of guarantee to get said Pokémon because of wonder trade?

Finally managed to win some battles in the Battle Royal and have gone up to Hyper Rank. I'm battling a lot so that I can buy the power items and finally start training my Pokémon for the Battle Tree.

Completed ev training 5 pokemon with the help of Poke Pelago.

Thankfully, I only needed to undergo two breeding projects because the rest were great breedlings I got over WonderTrade.

Currently on the 11th streak at Battle Tree regular doubles; with Mimikyu, Oricorio (Baile), Lilligant, Komala, and Kommo-o. The bird and the plant are mine; the rest from trade.

You might have guessed that I'm encountering a lot of Ice-types along the way... and I'm pretty worried about them, too. Badly balanced team I got here, but they're holding up fine.

Been travelling so haven't gotten to play much. Have been mostly levelling Pokemon to evolve them to fill out my dex, and going back to previous areas to make sure I got all the Pokemon from those areas. Have also been amusing myself by evolving random Abras I got from WT into Kadabras and then throwing those up onto the GTS for Type: Null and Cosmog.

Storywise I just landed on Poni Island (by "just" I mean like a week ago ww, just haven't moved on yet).

Got Moon today for Christmas so I guess I might as well post about my nighttime adventures as well:) With that said, I must say how beautiful the moon sky is. I pretty much only played Sun during the day (mainly intentionally) so I didn't see much of it at all. It's quite a pretty sight. Anyway, let's get to the game. Spoiler box for length.

As I've done for the past few years, I'll be playing as the male character for my other version. I decided to pick the 3rd Elio since I never got a chance to play as the only dark skinned male in XY and I picked the 4th Celine option in Sun and decided to mix it up a bit. I named him Elio because, well, I couldn't think of anything else to call him:p But I'm glad I did because I picked my favorite starter this time around, Popplio:) Now if he's at the front of the party, sometimes people will say Elio and Popplio; it's so cute. And it'll always be the case since I'm not evolving this little cutie into his hideous evolutions. As such, he's the only one I'm going to play with in Pokemon Refresh so he'll be able to survive later on.

In Sun, my naming theme was to give them names based on the Sun in some way. Mythology, wordplay, etc. I didn't really think of one this time. could have done moon related words/names, but......I was too lazy to ever look them up:p So, I decided to do the most amazing fantaboulous name theme and start everyone's nickname with Moon and then add another name that relates to the Pokemon. Popplio's name is Moon Jester.

As I did in Sun, I caught and will be catching temporary team members to use until I get the mons I want to use for my team. The first is a female Grubbin named Moon Grubbie who defeated Hau's Pichu in the festival. The next is a male Rattata named Moon Mickey.

I totally forgot to mention this in my Sun log, but I loved that scene in Kukui's lab where Snubbull, Stufful, and Rockruff, are running around while he's talking to us.

After I got to the first center, I took care of some important matters. I went to the Festival Plaza to trade with my Sun file. I prepared a few Pokemon that I had plans to send over. I always catch all of my team members in different Pokeballs and a bunch of the ones I planned for this time around aren't available for when the Pokemon I want show up. So I sent over a few Pokemon holding those balls. One of those trades was really important as it is a Pokemon I plan on using on my team, a Passimian. I love this Pokemon, but didn't use it in Sun since I already had a planned team so he's getting his opportunity now. His name is Moon Leader and he's in a Fast Ball. After I finished trading I went to catch my second official team member, a Pichu which I wanted and got in a Quick Ball. His name is Moon Pancake.

Last and most important, I hit up the Salon and Apparel Shop. I didn't change Calem's hair at all in Y, so I wanted to do so with Elio here. Unfortunately, my favorite male hairstyle isn't available until post game, so but I went with the braided cornrows. I don't typically care for cornrows in real like, but I think they look decent on my character. I also dyed it black. I then went to the Apparel Shop and put in some yellow contacts and 'blue-ified' myself. I got the surfing Pikachu tank, navy blue capris, and light blue socks (even though they can't be seen with my shoes). I was surprised by how many shirts the male had available early on. I was particularity surprised that his alternate colors of the default shirt were available while I know for a fact that for females the default shirt isn't available until the last store in Malie City. Just thought that was interesting.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna take a break for now and pick up with the Verdant Cavern trial tomorrow. But it's been pretty nice doing things at night. Can't wait to play more of this amazing game.

Changed my Baile Oricorio to the Cheerleader.

Had another go at the Battle Tree regular doubles and won against Battle Legend Green. Green messed up by making his Tyranitar use Dragon Dance, giving my Oricorio an extra boost in speed. I'm glad I used the Cheerleader form because his Gyarados was setting up and I needed to kill it before it got dangerous.

The number of Ice-types thrown at me was unbelievable, but I finally unlocked super doubles. :D

Last edited:
Got the game yesterday for Christmas. Played for hours, literally, until the wee hours of this morning (Eastern Standard Time) and I haven't made it through all of Hau'Oli City yet, ha! The way I play the game is I talk to everyone and go into every house and I even talk to the trainers after I've battled them to see what else they might have to say. Also, after the cutscene events are over, I backtrack and poke into stuff that wasn't accessible right away so I don't miss anything. I also spent some quality time deliberately leaving either Kukui, Lillie, or Hau hanging as I traveled back into accessible patches of grass to catch as many Pokies as I could. I was not going to leave this area 'permanently' until I got Spinarak and that Alolan Rattata. Consequently, I squared up a party of six pretty quickly after I got my beloved, darling Popplio.

Day One 12/25/16
So, I am playing the game as Haruka. Got the intro stuff with Kukui squared away and ran out the room. Met Kukui and followed him to Iki Town. Went looking for Hala by way of following Lillie up to the bridge which I got thrown off of for my troubles of trying to save Nebby from the Spearow flock. Picked up the Sparkling Stone and got my darling Popplio.

Endured *endless*cutscenes*. Game Freak wth, even? Tutorial on how to catch Pokies; going to Kukui's lab & getting the Rotom Dex fitted properly; heading back to Iki Town for the Festival; going to the Trainer's School. Ayiyiyiyiyiyi.

Anyway..... Backtracked to Hala's house and he wasn't there. But there's a whole mess of folks in his house that I was able to talk to. The guy, or lady, I can't remember which at the moment, in the room to the right volunteered to heal my pokies for free. So maybe s/he's someone you can go back to like your mom.
After the Trainer school intro cutscene, I walked back up to Kukui and Lillie to see if they had anything else to say and to my pleasant surprise, Lillie offered to heal my pokies for free in between battles.
After I beat Teacher Emily, and got dragged into yet another cut scene with Lillie and Tauros/Hala/Hau I went back to the school and went up to the top floor. There's a guy standing in front of the only classroom door and won't let me in because there a "fearsome trainer!" in there and he's afraid I/my pokies will get hurt. pfffffttttt.......

Then I finally made it into Hau'Oli City. Got the PokeFinder upgrade. Played with it for awhile to get the zoom lens added. Went to the Apparel Shop and got a red tank and shorts, and changed my contacts to blue. Went to the salon and got the Ash Brown hair color. I want to try to look as close to Haruka as I can get. I have the strategy guide with me so I already know that her specific hairstyle is not available as an option. And that's where I finally ended things and went to bed.

My team
The way I like to name my team members is to try to make a name from the letters of their final evolved form. If I can't come up with something I like then I just try to use some of the letters in their final evolved form and maybe throw in a couple different letters to make a decent sounding name. Failing that, I move to the option of using the same first letter of their final evolved form and just make up a regular sounding name.

Popplio (m) : Parmin
Pikipek (m): Ocanato
Youngoose (m): Hammer. I deliberately deviated from my usual name-giving strategy for this particular Pokie. Hammer comes from the fictional detective character Mike Hammer created by the author Mickey Spillane.
Pichu (m): Achuri
Ledian (f): Lanida. I am so angry at myself because I could have used the 'e' in 'Ledian' and named her Lenida. It didn't hit me until after I saved her name and then realized what I'd done. You can bet I will be fixing this once I get to the name rater.
Caterpie/Metapod (m): Tuffree

Captured and boxed: Wingull, Slowpoke, Spinarak, Grubbin, Alolan Rattata.

Parmin, Ocanato, & Achuri are going to be permanent members of my team. Hammer, Lanida, & Tuffree will get switched out eventually.

And now on to day 2! Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Got a whole lot done today so this is gonna be super long.

First things first, I took on Illima's trial. Totem Raticate and Rattata weren't too bad. Honestly, the worst issue was that the thing kept criting me. I had Moon Grubbie (Grunbbin) lower their speed with Sting Shot and their accuracy with Mud Slap. I had Moon Pancake (Pichu) lower Raticate's attack with Charm before switching him out so he could get the EXP. I used a Spearow I caught to do damage to Rattata and nearly take it out before losing. Those Mudslaps were really helpful because the Totem kept missing with Tackle. Moon Mickey (Rattata) beat Rattata and did some damage to Raticate with his Silk Scarf boosted Quick Attack. The eventually Moon Jester (Popplio) beat Raticate.

I tired to catch an Oricorio in Melemele Meadow, but for the life of me I couldn't I had those things in the red and tossing Great Balls an they still refused to be caught. I just gave up:/ The battle with Hau was pretty good. Mickey was so close to beating Pikachu, but got crited. Grubbie eventually finished him off. I sent Pancake out to battle Litten and beat him with a Nasty Plot boosted Thunder Shock. I then went to challenge Hala which was much for difficult this time around. In Sun I had an Oricorio and Cutiefly to handle most of the fight, this time I had nothing to take on fighting-types outside of Jester's Disarming Voice. So I lost at first and was able to win on my second try.

Hala (first try)

I started with Pancake to lower his Mankey's attack. Then I sent out my own Mankey, Moon Monkey, to do some damage. Then Grubbie beat Mankey. For Makuhita , I sent out a Petilil I'd caught, Moon Petal to do some damage with Leech Seed and Absorb. After she fainted, Moon Mickey knocked out Makuhita with Breakneck Blitz. I sent out Mickey as a sacrifice to take the all All-Out Pummeling. Unfortunately, the Crab then spammed Power-Up Punnch which led to my demise.

Hala (rematch)

The Mankey battle was pretty much a repeat of the first one. The only difference was that I sent out Mickey to use Breakneck Blitz here. Luckily, Hala sent out Crabrawler second this time around. Once again I sacraficed Mickey. Then I used a combination of Petal's Leech Seed, Grubbie's String Shot and Mud Slap, and Jester's Disarming Voice to whittle him down an beat him. Makuhita was pretty easy. It pretty much did a Sand Attack spam for a crapton of turns so I just sapped it away with Leech Seed. I healed Pancake so he could lower his attack and get more EXP. In the end Makuhita went down to Leech Seed.

After the battle I caught my 3rd official team member. He's a Rockruff in a Repeat Ball since I already had one in my dex after my trading from yesterday. His name is Moon Ruffian. I then went to Akala and started with the most important thing; shopping. I bought a green star-print shirt, gray cargo shorts, and purple glasses. I battled Sina which went way smoother than when I battled Dexio in Sun. It's funny because in Sun I had no coverage for psychic-types, but had some for ice-types, but this time around I had psychic coverage, but no ice coverage. Also, I'm pretty sure that it started become daytime during that battle. It was pretty cool.

I battled Hau at Panoia Rach. Petal beat Pikachu easily. Mickey got Blitzed by Torracat, but idk why Hau wasted it because Mickey only had 2 HP left:/ Then Jester got his revenge by hitting Torracat with a crit Breakneck Blitz.. I decided to end the day by catching my 4th offical team member, a Mudbray, which ended up taking way longer than it should have. I just wanted a male with Stamina, but I kept finding females everywhere. Then when I did find males they had Own Tempo. I finally found a male with Stamina and luckily he was the highest possible level for wild Pokemon, 15, equal to my other main team members. He's in a Heavy Ball because I thought it would be fitting for when he fully evolves.

So yeah, long day. I hope to get at least 2 Akala trials done tomorrow.

In my quest to get Pokemon in unusual ball types, I now have Eevees in five of seven Apricorns. Plus, the one in the Moon Ball has its hidden ability!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom