• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Sophocles' trial. I used Zygarde (cheap way out, but I had no ground type Pokemon). Used Land's Wrath to take care of Togedamaru, and Bind took care of the ally Skarmory.

Continuation from yesterday.

Challenged the first trail. Needless to say it was total cakewalk. Double Kick kicked some fat rat booty. The totem itself didn't last more than a turn, falling to one Double Kick, even with the Defense boost. Afterward did some catching, including adding Nightwave, the Lonely Noibat, to the team. I'm gonna need a flyer, as what I hear is that Lana's trial will be a tough nut to crack. Helped save Nebby and battled the Ultra Recon Squad, gaining some begrudging respect for Furfrou in the process (took 3 Double Kicks to knock that poodle down... damn that Fur Coat ability...). Moved on to battle Hala. Surprisingly, he gave me some grief, though not because of his power, but rather the fact my Fire Fangs KEPT MISSING!!! 95% accuracy, huh? So why is it only hitting about 2/3rds of the time!? If even that!? I'm replacing that move the next chance I get, hopefully with Fire Pledge, as at least it'll be accurate! Plus it'll feed off of Meowzma's (currently) higher Sp Atk, so that might help later down the road. Anyway, Nightwave managed to pick up some of the slack and buy Meowzma some time to recoup for the final round against Crabrawler, and the little bat dragon was just caught shortly before this trial to boot. Spent some time battling and catching various Mons, though catching Sableye was a test of patience for me since it burst out of 5 Great Balls WHILE Paralyzed. Partook in the Battle Buffet, causing Zoey to evolve into Loppunny in the middle of everything. Also helped the Janitor with his, er, "trash" problem (yuck!). Yes, Rotom, don't worry, I have every intention of washing my hands after that, believe me. Waited a little while to partake in the daytime event of the Alola Ride Show, especially since it helped revitalize my Great Ball supply after that bloody Sableye. Plan to do a few more things on the island before taking off with Mantine Surf (namely finding some more Totem Stickers and catching some of the missing Mons from my dex). Will probably continue on full-speed tomorrow. Here's my team at the moment.

Meowzma (Torracat, male, 25)
Sveta (event Rockruff, female, 20)
Zoey (Loppunny, female, 19)
Nightwave (Noibat, male, 18)

That's all for now.

-Caught a Grubbin, I've been wanting to use that pokemon.
-Caught a bunch of other pokemon to fill out my team but I plan to replace them with permanent team members later.
-Evolved my Litten SoftKitty into a Torracat. I guess I'll have to think of a better name soon.
-Beat Illima, went to the cave, defeated Skull members and the Totem Trump.
-Going to the meadow and then to Seeward Cave. I want to catch Noivern and Flabebe.

Picked the male character, received the Rockruff, and started my journey.

Upon arriving at the first boutique, I realized that customization was going to be limited for the boys again. I searched other sites, praying for at least one or two long sleeves but all I could find was the usual tank tops and T-shirts. Absolutely NOTHING new.

I am going to delete my save file after I find a way to save my event Rockruff (either through Bank update or asking a friend to hold it by trade). I'm already disappointed in this game and its horrible decision to give boys less options for fashion when the girls get a ton of options.

Two games after customization was introduced and the irony that XY has far more clothing options for boys.

My current team:

Litten -> Torracat (Starter)
Buneary (Route 1)
Noibat (Verdant Cavern)
Pichu (Route 1)
Zorua (Route 1)
Rockruff (Mystery Gift)

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, but here are my experiences the past two days of my first playthrough of Ultra Moon...

Yesterday

-Got back home from work, and sure enough, there was the package from my grandmother sitting there in my apartment mailbox. Decided I wanted to try a self-imposed challenge of beating the game with what I consider more or less a "canon" team for the female trainer.

-Started with Rowlet, and already was pretty surprised at how different the intro story played out, like getting attacked in the grass and picking your starter there, then helping to fight off the Spearow attacking Nebby. Also pleasantly surprised at how different a lot of the dialogues were. Downloaded the event Rockruff just before going through the Trainer School, and caught a Hydration Wingull on the beach, knowing it would come in handy for the Akala trials. Cleared all of Melemele Island no problem.

-Found Mantine Surfing pretty frustrating to get the hang of my first try, namely building up enough speed to get airtime and be able to do tricks without wiping out. When Kukui asked me how the ride went, I picked the "Not good" option for humor purposes. Still it's more fun than I thought, and by FAR the easiest way to get BP - surf each time you want to change islands post game, and you'll have enough BP to get those move tutor moves before you know it!

-Quit after reaching Akala Island because it was late in the evening.

Today

-Started Akala Island. Got my Eevee egg from the daycare, luckily Rotom decided to make hatching it quicker! I surfed back to Melemele to pick up items I missed while waiting for it to hatch. Once it did I let Eevee share in on experience from Trainers I skipped before, then returned to Akala.

-Totem Araquanid was pretty easy, but you can bet I was surprised to see it use Aurora Beam on my Datrix. (*shudder*)

-Once Rockruff hit L23, I adjusted my 3DS's clock :)p) & used the two Rare Candies I'd found on Brooklet Hill and Route 6 to evolve it into Dusk Lycanroc before taking on Kiawe's Trial. Eevee then evolved into Umbreon in the middle of Kiawe's Trial, just after 6PM game time. Be wary of Totem Marowak, he's pretty dang tough! Cursed Body got me and despite my effort to get Lycanroc beforehand, he still fell to just two Brick Breaks. Luckily I was still able to beat it on my first try, although at the cost of a Rotom Boost and some Revives.

-Ugh, I just gotta say, it's WAY too easy to accidentally almost leave the Lush Jungle area when you talk to Mallow to bring her the ingredient! Other than that I liked this incarnation of Mallow's Trial better than the original, and I found Totem Lurantis much easier this time too (for some reason the partners didn't like to activate Sunny Day and Pelipper's Drizzle helped me immensely. And surprise surprise, I managed to catch an Oranguru almost immediately in a grass ambush encounter after the Trial (with a Great Ball no less)! I gladly added it to my team for a much-needed Psychic type.

-Going to Aether Paradise...so it turns out Lusamine already knows these Ultra Recon Squad folks...hmmm. I was wondering if we'd instead get an early glimpse of Necrozma, but it's still a Nihilego that appears from the Ultra Wormhole.

-Dartrix evolved shortly after I reached Ula'ula Island. I was preparing for Lillie to get mad when Selene told her that Lusamine seemed like a really nice lady (new dialogue), but luckily she didn't.

-Sophocles' Trial: Had a hard time figuring out where the Charjabug were outside, although the puzzle itself was easy. But Totem Togedemaru was definitely the hardest Totem for me so far! Made even harder by the fact that my team is heavily slanted towards the physical side, except for Pelipper who is 4x weak to Electric. Managed to stall it out after awhile, using up almost all of my Potions and getting frustrated to no end by Skarmory's Torment & Tailwind and Togedemaru's Iron Head & Spiky Shield (the former flinched me almost every single time, ugh)

-Caught myself an Alolan Sandshrew in the newly added tall gras below the Mt. Lanakila elevator to further round out my challenge team with the help of Rotom's Encounter Power which seems to ensure that every wild Pokémon you encounter will be the max level of what is available in that area - very handy indeed!

-And finally, I beat Totem Mimikyu about half an hour ago. Easy, just used Decidueye's Z-Move after breaking its disguise. I liked how this time around you end up seeing an illusion of Acerola that tells you to get out of the store (I remembered that moment from one of the teasers).

Going to bed now, I'm really tired and my eyes are aching from playing so much. So far I've been pleasantly surprised at how different many of the dialogues are, but overall I'm still getting that sense of "deja vu" with the whole Alola region and progression through each island, just like I did with Hoenn & Sinnoh back when I played Emerald and Platinum respectively. Tomorrow I'll be going through the climax though, so I guess I'll have to see how that plays out!

My Current Team:
Decidueye L40
Dusk Lycanroc L39
Umbreon L37
Pelipper L38
Oranguru L36
Alolan Sandshrew L35

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's taking his sweet time as opposed to just rushing through?

Anyhow, I'm gonna be leveling up Noibat before I fight Hala. I showed my (real) mom my new Noibat...naturally, as she's got a huge fear of bats, she was less than thrilled.

Last edited:
I beat the ghost trial and Mimikyu, was pretty easy with my A-Sandshrew and the steel Z-move. I think from here on out there will be more changes to the story. I'm going to guess once I get back to the Aether House, a Yungoos will have been kidnapped, I'll go to Po Town, meet Nanu, kick Guzma's butt again, and then go to the Aether House to found out about Lillie...

Current team:

Lycanroc
Decidueye
Incineroar
A-Morowak
A-Sandslach
Toucannon

Actually, I'll hold onto Rockruff until it hits level 24, then put him away until I beat the game.

Last edited:
Today I caught an Eevee. I plan on evolving him into a Jolteon as soon as I find a Thunder Stone, which I believe I should be able to after Kiawe's trial. In other news, I beat everyone's favorite edgelord, Gladion, and managed to beat Lana's trial. I'm working on trying to evolve my Rockruff while I have the chance in the game.

Am I the only one who's taking his sweet time as opposed to just rushing through?

Anyhow, I'm gonna be leveling up Noibat before I fight Hala. I showed my (real) mom my new Noibat...naturally, as she's got a huge fear of bats, she was less than thrilled.

I'm not rushing, I just had a load of free time last night and today :p

I stopped for the night - tomorrow I'll go to Po Town. Once I collect the totem Mimikyu, I'm going to nickname it Pikaboo.

We made our way to Ula'ula Island from the Aether Paradise and met Acerola. Now we get to the juicy part of the story. I decided to go back to Wela Volcano Park and farm for a Thick Club for Pacman to hold. Once he got his bone, we went on up to the Observatory where Pacman had no trouble defeating the totem Togedemaru (Totemdemaru?). Guzma proved a greater challenge than I remembered, especially since my team is slow and his Masquerain kept landing flinches with Air Slash.

We did some more Mantine surfing and now we rest at the Tapu Village as we prepare to take on the ghost trial.

Jackson (Primarina, female) level 35
Henry (Malamar, male) level 35
Rousey (Hawlucha, female) level 36
Pacman (Marowak, male) level 35
Electric Eye (Magneton) level 35
Badass Dino (Pupitar, female) level 30

Was on the road most the day, so didnt get as much as I had hoped done.

I trained up the team and finished Melemele island. And had fun with the mantine surfing. After hitting Akala island, I immediatly went clothes shopping to remember the better shop was in Konikoni. I met young Jacinta the Mareep there, where I aptly caught her.

She and Kyler were a big help against Totem Araquanid, along with a big help from Khalessi, who I had taught Charge Beam. That was one tough fight though, and battling Recon Squad after was no walk in the park. I just went back and caught a Dewpider who I named Chimeme, and will start training her tomorrow.

My team as of now:
Kyler (Dartrix, Lv 24)
Khalessi (Buneary, Lv 23)
Ronon (Zorua, Lv 24)
Arystar (Noibat, Lv 22)
Jacinta (Flaaffy, Lv 22)
Chimeme (Dewpider, Lv 17)

Am I the only one who's taking his sweet time as opposed to just rushing through

I am enjoying taking my time too :)

Just finished exploring the rest of Melemele Island, gathering items and catching more Pokemon for the Pokedex. The only one I have purposefully avoided hunting is Happiny, until I get some Adrenaline Orbs at least.
Did a couple of side quests, like finding a lost Alolan Meowth and picking up trash in the mall. I also fully explored Ten Carat Hill and obtained my third Z-Crystal, the Flyinium Z and met Kahili. I was sure Machamp Shove was needed for that in the original, or maybe I am just not remembering right haha!
Anyways, I made it to Akala Island. I absolutely love Mantine Surf and can't wait to get back on it! I have actually just realised that I missed a Pokedex quest on Melemele Island (a guy asked to see Sableye) so I might surf my way back next!

I'm happy to see more people are 'slow' like me haha. I'm finally on my way to Hala, with the following team:
  • Nuru (Mime Jr.) Lvl17
  • Maeve (Furfrou) Lvl18
  • Kuro (Murkrow) Lvl19
Really proud of Meave proving she's the best Furfrou against Dulse's :D Kept her in a regular style for now, kinda like the scruffy style. Will change it into Kabuki style before I leave the island though, as I'm not sure if the other hair salons are gonna have a Furfrou trimmer too.

Time to beat Hala and try out Mantine Surf!

Got Mudbray and Fomantis. Then beat the second Trial which took a few times. Hana took the Totem out.

The team:
H. Jack the Torracat
Diamond the Rockruff
Ace the Crabrawler
Bronte the Mudbray
Hana the Oricorio
Leaf the Fomantis

So. My Butterfree, Blueberry, is an absolute badass. So, I took on Lana's trial last night. My Magnemite swept the Wishiwashi and Dewpiders in the beginning, but got 2HKO'd by Araquanid, only managing to paralyze it. I send in my Butterfree, thinking I might be fucked. BUT NO. I had Blueberry use Supersonic Skystrike and she landed a critical hit. Araquanid was OHKO'd. This is the same Butterfree that swept Hala. I was initially planning to only use Butterfree for the first island or two at most and then replace it, but I'll be damned if I don't seriously consider keeping her around. I then caught a Marshtomp with Island Scan (haven't decided if I'll use him yet). Now I'm circling back to Paniola Town to finish exploring the rest of the area before moving on to the next trial.I like taking my sweet time and making sure I don't miss anything before I move on. Especially since I rushed the entire section from Paniola-Brooklet Hill last night because I Island Scanned for Marshtomp without realizing I needed to finish the trial first - so I had to book it.

Team:
Ansem the Torracat (M)
Roxas the Rockruff (M)
Blueberry the Butterfree (F)
Medusa the Ekans (F)
Magnemite
Finn the Marshtomp (M)

Began exploring Akala Island and I am really loving some of the additional elements, like being able to explore more of the hotel, how the beach areas (while small) add a little extra fun to the Islands and even the Pikachu Valley (although I was more excited about the entrance, seeing the new path on Route 04 than playing with the Pikachu).
I made it up to the Pokemon Centre just outside of Brooklet Hill, filling out more of my Pokedex and adding a female Eevee to my team (which I intend to evolve into Leafeon). I also collected enough Totem Stickers to receive Totem Alolan Raticate from Samson Oak. I also couldn't move on until I topped the leaderboards for the two Mantine Surf routes!
Speaking of, I used my BP to teach Lopunny Bounce and have given her the Flyinium Z in preparation for Lana's Trial and Totem Araquanid.
I love using the Roto Loto and the powers gained from it, but even I have to admit that Rotom is now starting to get a little annoying with how often he demands attention. All the way through Route 04 he kept popping up every two seconds to say my party needed healing. It got rather frustrating. I think it is a great feature but I also think it could have been executed so much better.
I am considering taking the advice from @IncineROAR and changing my 3DS clock time to evolve my Rockruff, but it would mean replacing either my planned Golisopod or Alolan Sandslash team members - any advice on who should go, if any?

Current Team Status:
Torracat, male, Level 26.
Lopunny, female, Level 26.
Eevee, female, Level 18.

Pokedex Completion Status:
Melemele, seen 66, caught 57.
Akala, seen 26, caught 22.
Total completion 15%.

I am considering taking the advice from @IncineROAR and changing my 3DS clock time to evolve my Rockruff, but it would mean replacing either my planned Golisopod or Alolan Sandslash team members - any advice on who should go, if any?

Current Team Status:
Torracat, male, Level 26.
Lopunny, female, Level 26.
Eevee, female, Level 18.

Pokedex Completion Status:
Melemele, seen 66, caught 57.
Akala, seen 26, caught 22.
Total completion 15%.

A-Sandslah is a keeper, if it knows a steel type move, you're all set for Totem Mimikyu. I've never really had much interest in using Sandshrew or Sandslash before, but I'm using A-Sandslash in this run through and I am pleasantly surprised at how capable it is. It's not a power house, but it gets the job done.

I say box Golisopod, level up Rockruff, and then decide between the two who you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom