• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totems 2 and 3 took a lot of work. I lost to the water totem 3 times before I came up with a winning strategy. I decided to roll out a Prankster Conttonee I had caught on a whim earlier. As my luck would have it, I managed to both Stun Spore and Leech Seed the Araquarnid before Cottonee went down. Hazel then put the finishing touches on with a Breakneck Blitz.

Totem Marowak also took me out 3 times before I tried a similar plan. Paralyzed it with a Flaffy I caught at the Ranch, then had Kuro steal the Thick Club by using Thief. Amby used yawn on the Salazzle before Hazel took out Marowak with Breakneck Blitz (after Foresight). She then knocked out the Salazzle without much trouble.

Right now, Bengal and Hazel are the only permanent team members in US; everything else is a revolving door.

Defeated the Totem Raticate this morning in UM. Team still taking shape.

I'm loving these games so far.

I'm glad I read this thread, I often forget the Flynium Z is at ten carat hill. Araquinid would have been a much easier challenge if I had thought about using a flying type Z move. When I stack my team for UM, I'll be sure to have a mon with a decent flying type move.

I just entered Po Town. it's pretty sad, with my compulsiveness, all I am paying attention to is a totem sticker thats on the Pokemon Center and the ingrates guarding the gate are teasing me. I'll just sneak in, battle them, collect the totem sticker, and move on.

I finished my first Grand Trial! My team, as of now, consist of two of my favorite cats.

Peter the Torracat- named after my late, stark-black kitty named Peter. Named in his honor.
Morris the Persian- named after Morris the 9 Lives cat food spokescat.

Just reached Poni Island.

Got the Ice Stone from Po Town to evolve my Sandshrew, liked how they hid 3 Totem Stickers behind a rock and changed the quiz to be about Plumeria's favorite things, but other than that it's pretty much the same story.

Nanu gave me some trouble, probably because of my team lacking any Bug or Fighting or Fairy types, but I still got through relatively easily.

I like how they kept Lusamine's resentment at her children running away, but yet she seems like much more of a well-intentioned extremist this time around - wanting to capture Necrozma to keep it from stealing Alola's light. She's still pretty crazy don't get me wrong, but the climax of the Aether Paradise arc is surprisingly calm this time around - no early Ultra Beast invasion, we don't see her lash out at her children quite as much this time, and she just heads off to Ultra Space with Guzma. Basically it seems like a slower burn compared to SM, but which is probably going to reach greater heights overall with Necrozma's invasion.

I guess I'll keep playing and see, but for now, it's time to take a break & order me some Pizza Hut for lunch and dinner.

Just beat the second trial, which was luckily way easier for me than everyone made me afraid of haha. Two Wing Attacks from Murkrow was all it took :D

Caught a Surskit after that, naming it Kimi (wanted to call it Chichi first, not realizing what that means in Spanish and Japanese lol, so it wasn't allowed ^^; ).

Went back to Melemele, to visit Ten Carat Hill (totally forgot this) and the water area in that meadow cave. Furthermore had some fun with the advanced mode in the Alola Photo Club. Hell I'm gonna enjoy that feature so much after the game is done haha.

Now back on Akala, to continue my way on Route 6.

-I decided to drop Noibat and Flabebe and caught Hawlucha and Cottonee instead. I want to use pokemon I haven't used before. It's no fun using the same ones over and over.
-Speaking of which, I initally only caught an Ekans to have some pokemon I could sacrifice in the trials, but it helped me a lot with Hala and the URS so I kept it. Also because I sort of fell in love with it after playing in the refresh
-Defeated Hala with Ekans and Hawlucha. Piece of cake.
-I suck at Mantine Surf. It took me half an hour just to get past the tutorial
-Arrived in Akala and caught an Eevee. I still don't know if I want to make it a Vaporeon or an Espeon. I leave it up to fate, whatever happens first.
-Going through Paniola ranch now. I am going to Brooket Hill to face the water trial. I've read some comments but I don't know what I'll be facing.

Last edited:
My Ekans, Medusa, has evolved into a glorious Arbok :love: I had never used an Arbok before in any Pokemon game. Damn it's so good!

In other news, I'm about to take on Kiawe's trial. Though I'm waiting to start the trial until 5 PM (about an hour and a half after posting this) so I can evolve Roxas, my Rockruff, into his Dusk form!

Still on Melemele Island, but I have added a new addition to my team: Nadine the Rockruff. I don't know why I named her that. It was the first name that popped into my head and I heard that name before somewhere. It's just not ringing too many bells. Now I'm just trying to level her up to catch up to her two kitty teammates, both at level 23.

-I suck at Mantine Surf. It took me half an hour just to get past the tutorial

Oh thank god I'm not the only one haha. Everyone was talking about how easy it was and I just couldn't get the hang of it no matter what I tried :cry: Am better at it now though, after I got the tip you should start with short left and right strokes, while what I did was just going up and down the whole wave all the time and wondering why I wasn't going any faster ^^;

I'm about to do Mallows trial. Things have been going pretty well. I had no problem with the Totem Araquanid, really.

As for my team so far:

- Nova the Noibat
- Meep the Flaaffy (Meep the Mareep was better ok)
- Carrot Cake the Dusk Lycanroc
- Poseidon the Brionne
- Zorro the Zorua

and then a Totem Gumshoos I'm using as a shield. I'm planning on getting a Fromantis after the next trial. So far the only Pokémon I'm considering keeping are Noibat and Lycanroc, but my teams have been changing a lot ever since I started the game, so we'll see.

Grass trial went down easily first try. Funny, considering the Grass Totem was the one that gave me the most trouble in SM. Beat Olivia no problem too. Going to go around Akala and catch a lot of the Pokemon I'm missing.

My team is:

766MS.png
Dunks Lv.25
546MS.png
Floco Lv. 26
138MS.png
Lenny Lv.26
732MS.png
Calypso Lv. 26
284MS.png
Oogie Lv.26

Oh my goodness Rotomdex is really starting to annoy me! Every two minutes he is popping up with "hey, here's some advice you didn't ask for! Blah blah blah..." at first it was cute and fun but it has gotten so repetitive and really takes away from the bottom screen map.

Anyway, now that I have that out...

I cleared Lana's trial easily with Supersonic Skystrike and nabbed a fishing rod. I was really impressed with the minor changes to this Trial, even having the gate at the start made it feel so much better. Araquanid's entrance was amazing!
Spent most of the evening catching more Pokemon for the Pokedex. I added Rockruff back onto my team and evolved her into the Dusk Lycanroc. I have given Eevee an Everstone just in case she tries to evolve between now and Lush Jungle.
I am enjoying all the extra side quests but wish there was a way to keep track of them as I am now struggling to remember everything I need to do.
Right now I am in Wela Volcano Park trying to find a Magmar, although I did come across a female Salandit pretty quickly. Planning to complete Kiawe's Trial tomorrow.

Current Team Status:
Torracat, male, Level 29.
Lopunny, female, Level 29.
Lycanroc, female, Level 26.
Eevee, female, Level 25.

Pokedex Completion Status:
Melemele, seen 75, caught 62.
Akala, seen 50, caught 34.
Total completion 18%.

We cleared Acerola's trial quite handily. Electric Eye had no trouble with the little pranksters. We got back to the Aether House and found out that the poor little Yungoos had been stolen by Team Skull! Naturally, I decided that now was the perfect time to go and do side quests and generally re-explore old areas. Because what better time to goof off and chase Ratatas around than when your friends are relying on you to rescue a hostage Pokemon? So of course we took our sweet time exploring Seaward Cave, Kala'e Bay, Melemele sea, and even the Haina Desert, and gathering all of the things we could find, including the Psychium Z crystal hanging out on the pedestal in the desert. I also caught a bunch of Pokemon that I had previously ignored, bringing my Pokedex up to a somewhat respectable total.

Even moving toward Po Town was not direct once we finally got going. After finding the Acrobatics TM on route 16, I remembered a poor Incineroar that was having trouble beating a Machamp on Royal Avenue, so I flew back and taught it Acrobatics. Then I went and explored the Lake of the Moone because it was there. Finally we got to Po Town, where Rousey proceeded to use her newfound Acrobatics and High Jump Kick to singlehandedly smash her way through Team Skull and Guzma.

Rousey (Hawlucha, female) level 46
Electric Eye (Magneton) level 44
Henry (Malamar, male) level 44
Jackson (Primarina, male) level 42
Badass Dino (Pupitar, female) level 40
Pacman (Marowak, male) level 40

So I just got to Aether paradise. The story from Aether forward is a little different than SM. Lusamine opens the wormhole because she wants to defeat Necrozma, I don't see her as much of a villain anymore, and as more of a woman who mourns the "loss" of her husband (someone should tell her that he's been doing drugs and running the PokePelago joint). The Ultra Recon Squad so far is pretty useless, but it's been revealed Colress has done in this game what he had done in B2W2. The game in some ways not only the swan song for 3DS games, but it feels like GF has set the stage for some sort of reboot with next generation.

Also, as much time as I just spent at Aether paradise, GF could have at least placed some totem stickers there.

Oh my goodness Rotomdex is really starting to annoy me! Every two minutes he is popping up with "hey, here's some advice you didn't ask for! Blah blah blah..." at first it was cute and fun but it has gotten so repetitive and really takes away from the bottom screen map.

Yeah, I'm fed up of it too. My reaction to RotomDex whenever it starts speaking can be summed up with this video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPrdX-cqF0

Picking up from yesterday, I did the mandatory Photo Club bit. It's okay, I guess. The controls, stickers, and everything else will take some getting used to, but it's not bad. I also taught Meowzma how to use Fire Pledge for a more "reliable" Fire move since, as I said last time I posted, Fire Fang was missing at least 1/3rd of the time. Plus Fire Pledge feeds off of Meowzma's (currently) higher Sp Atk, so I'm glad I spent the time happiness grinding to get it. Partook in Mantine Surf. It took a bit of getting used to, and in one of my earliest runs I just kept hitting Tentacool like mad, but after a few back-and-forth runs, I'm now racking up 8 Battle... er, I mean Beach Points minimum per run. It's a bit addicting, I admit, as it's the easiest way to rack up BP without needing meta Mons and such, so I'm enjoying it, though I do still have some blunders here and there, but nothing as bad as that one run. And I've broken the two top records in the process, so I'm having fun.

Moving on, I battle Hau (I'm glad he now has 4 Mons at this point instead of 2 like in SM, makes for more of a challenge and feels more realistic for him) and later spent some time hunting down a female Eevee. I even purposely invoked SOS battle on the Eevee to find myself a female one using the Adrenaline Orb, but it quickly spiraled out of control, forcing me to keep alternating between Nightwave and Zoey in order to combat those Baby-Doll Eyes and Sand Attacks while gently whittling away at my target and keeping the "help" under control. Finally did get my female Eevee and named her Veevee, but it took a while. Plus I had to use my Rotom Capture Power to help, as she wouldn't go down without a fight, especially since I wanted to catch her in a Premier Ball, which doesn't have a good catch rate to begin with. Taking a little pit stop before moving on to the ranch. And I plan to mess with my 3DS clock in order to get Sveta to evolve into her Dusk Lycanroc form, but I need a little break right now.

My team:

Meowzma (Torracat, male, 27)
Sveta (Event Rockruff, female, 23)
Zoey (Loppuny, female, 22)
Nightwave (Noibat, male, 22)
Veevee (Eevee, female, 14)

I just got Ultra Moon earlier today (my copy of Ultra Sun should be here in the next few days. I mostly want to play that) and I just defeated the two Team Skull grunts at Hau'oli City. Currently, my team is...

Cat Noir (Litten, male)
Grecia (Pikipek, female)
Chocola (Buneary, female)
Papillon (Butterfree, female)
Orochimaru (Snivy that I hatched from an egg that I traded from my copy of Sun, male)
Unhatched egg (Also traded from Sun)

It's a crying shame Lillie couldn't come along with me to Exeggutor Island. So no cutscene with Lillie where she mentions dancing in the rain with her mother. Seriously Selene, why couldn't you just tell Mina that you would protect her?

Once I got to Vast Poni Canyon, I decided it was time to bag me a Jangmo-o to raise into a new-and-improved Kommo-o. After giving Sandslash a Sitrus Berry so that Rotom would stop whining about how I need to visit a Pokémon Center, I used an Encounter Power. It took quite awhile, and I had to catch a second since the first one had a bad Nature and Bulletproof instead of Soundproof, but I got one...and two saved Rare Candies later, I had a Level 47 Kommo-o!

Speaking of Kommo-o, that trial seems to be much harder now, but I still won thanks to Trick Room.

And finally, the climax of the story. It was pretty interesting to say the least! Riding on Solgaleo/Lunala through space is pretty fun, too, though it took me a couple tries before I was able to get into the right wormhole.

Could Ultra Necrozma be a new contender for one of the hardest battles in a Pokémon game ever?? It's Level 60 (highest level Pokémon I had at that point was 54) and Photon Geyser can OHKO almost anything. It was pretty much only thanks to Umbreon's Toxic that I even managed to win.

So it looks like we don't get to catch Nebby this time, and instead it just carries us in Ultra Space Ride. What a disappointment, I liked that scene from the original games. But at least we do get a freebie Piopole we don't even need to catch.

Now it's on to gathering flower petals for Mina's Trial...

Last edited:
Hapu and her Muddsdale are still annoying.

I'm on Poni Island, and my guess is that we'll follow Hapu to the ruins where she'll have her glow up and become a high and mighty short Kahuna. I'm happy that Lunala/Solgaleo doesn't seem to be a forced capture. I probably won't capture Necrozma either. If I desire to explore the fusion, I have a few boxed Necrozma and Solgaleo/Lunala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom