• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I FINALLY got US off the ground properly today, despite dealing with one failing 3DS battery and one totally dead one. Still waiting for the new parts, but I'm just managing to squeeze in playtime despite this problem. But in any case, time to actually do an update on US. Note that all this happened within two rounds of playtime, which is frustrating given the fact that I can normally do this much in one, all thanks to that bloody battery issue. Anyway, on with the show.

Started off with a Bashful Rowlet who I named Hub (I'm doing a MegaMan theme in terms of nicknames, since I've been playing Battle Network on and off lately, even naming the PC Lan to drive the point home) and proceeded to best Hau's female (!) Poppilo. (So, even GF prefers female Poppilo... they why are they still doing this badly skewered gender ratio?!) *ahem* I then caught a sizable number of temp Mons to fill in some gaps until I can narrow down my choices. I wanted to catch a Grubbin, but I accidentally KOed the first one I found with a critical hit at the wrong time, and had to wait until after the festival and obtaining the Rotom Dex from Kukui before finally running into another, this time a Gentle male who I named ElecMan (a personal favorite of mine). Added Rush the Hardy event Rockruff to my arsenal shortly afterward and, once again, dealt with the Trainer School, catching pretty much everything that came my way.

After dealing with Team Skull (multiple times) and Ilima, I proceeded to his trial site, learning more about this version's Ultra Recon Squad. I wonder why a child is part of the team? But, then again, most of the PC's are around her age, so I guess it's nothing strange at this point. But still... Anyway, just before the trial Hub evolved into Dartrix, so he's even more ready to bust some viruses... I mean bust Donald Trump... I mean, oh never mind, you know what I mean. *shrugs* Well, in any case, Hub pretty much soloed the trial, which was good as ElecMan was having some trouble in the past few battles, so it helped him gain a few levels while not actually doing anything, while Rush would be the backup in case of a problem. One S Rank busting later, the trial was over (seriously, Hub didn't take a single point of damage, as the only moves to actually "hit" him were Scary Face and Leer, everything else missed by a mile!).

Proceeded to find the missing Lillie at MeleMele Meadow and had one, once again, save Nebby's bacon (more or less). Got my first battle with the URS, and let me say this upfront... I'm starting to hate Furfrou. That battle was a test of patience for me, as it kept spamming Baby-Doll Eyes and Growl every single time I used Work Up to counteract it. And when it WASN'T using those moves it would use Headbutt... which would make poor Hub flinch ever single time. Thankfully, I managed to nail two critical hit Razor Leaves to finally net the win. Sheesh, that poodle gave me more grief than mongoose Trump did. After that I returned Nebby to Lillie and battle Hau, scoring an easy win before having to put my 3DS down for recharge time.

And as par the course, here's my current team.

Hub (Dartrix, male, 21)
Rush (Rockruff, male, 18)
ElecMan (Grubbin, male 17)

Last edited:
Alright. my US Pokedex is nearly complete (just waiting on a friend to get those final trade evolutions), so time to start on Ultra Moon.

I decided to put a twist on this run, so I'm doing a Monotype team. My chosen type is Water, so every Pokemon I use must be a Water-type.

So of course I chose Popplio as my starter Pokemon. His name is Prince this time. After Prince defeated Hau's team in the Iki Festival, we caught a Wingull and named her Peeko. We also caught a Slowpoke, but I don't know how much I'm going to use it. I may give her a nickname when we get to Akala Island.

Anyway, now we have to show those idiot trainers at the school how it's done "learn" how to be a Pokemon trainer at the Trainers' School.

Got to the second trial against the water spider (forgot its name)... and realized my Pikachu hadn't learned Thundershock. I evolved it from a Pichu that I bred in a previous game. And since the spoiled brat decided to evolve at level 20 (and thus skipping Electro Ball), no electric type moves for now, unless I stock up a bunch of points for move tutoring.

*hysterical laughter*

Defeated Acerola's trial. Annoyed it was literally the exact same thing other than I think the helper Pokemon was changed. I also don't recall a spooky ghost version of her saying to leave but that doesn't really count as changing it. On the way to Po Town. I got the Sun Stone a while ago bit I was waiting for Cotton Guard at level 37. Now it can be more useful. Then again, every trial expect for the Fire one I've relied on Leech Seed. If only it had prankster... well, an ability capsule will come with time. Unless it's HA.

Crobat- level 36
Randy Orton the Inciniroar - 36
Lopunny - 36
Akechi the Alolan Raichu - 36
Whimiscott- 37
Miltoic - 35

Got to the second trial against the water spider (forgot its name)... and realized my Pikachu hadn't learned Thundershock. I evolved it from a Pichu that I bred in a previous game. And since the spoiled brat decided to evolve at level 20 (and thus skipping Electro Ball), no electric type moves for now, unless I stock up a bunch of points for move tutoring.

*hysterical laughter*

I also spammed to get Shock Wave through Mantine... though I had Thundershock, it just sucks.

I started Ultra Sun and transfered through Quick Link my prepared team for the adventure;

- Starter: Popplio (lvl 12)
- Squirtle (lvl 12). Got through Wonder Trade. 31 IVs except speed, which is low. Egg moves(dragon pulse and aura sphere with modest nature. And Rain Dish (HA).
- Pichu (lvl 10). Shiny female Pichu with near perfect IVs, lightning rod and Bold Nature. Bred myself in Sun. Has the egg moves electric terrain, charge and encore.
- Litten (lvl 12). Also shiny, received through Wonder Trade. All 31 IVs with adamant nature, no egg moves.
- Rowlet (lvl 12). Again shiny, bred myself. Has curse, haze and two other egg moves I replaced. Jolly nature and near perfect IVs.
- Larvitar (lvl 9). Shiny, bred myself. Hidden Ability sand veil with adamant nature, with perfect IVs and egg moves pursuit, outrage, stealth rock and dragon dance.

*hysterical laughter*
Thanks for the reminder about Electro Ball. My Pichu is now level 10 and I don't want to miss out on Electro Ball. At the other hand, I like Pichu a lot so I wouldn't mind if it stayed a Pichu for a while. Is there a move tutor for Electro Ball in US/UM? Or what about the move reminder?

Last edited:
So I got Shock Wave after spamming Mantine Surf and had a decent Pikachu set with Nasty Plot+Shock Wave.

Pikachu still died after a few hits, so I sent out Drifloon for fodder while I healed up. I had completely forgotten about Drifloon's ability.... and Aftermath beat the totem pokemon.

Got my Pokédex completion up to 35%. Did a couple of sidequests for extra money, then headed for Po Town. I absolutely love this place's atmosphere, so I took my sweet time just exploring and listening to the rain and bgm. Guzma's Masquerain was so annoying, every Air Cutter was pretty much a guaranteed flinch. Anyway, after it was finally defeated, I collected my Buginium Z and returned to Aether house. ...Only to find out Plumeria took Lillie back to Aether Paradise.
So here I am, just about ready to enter Lusamine's mansion.

Current Team:
  • Primarina (Aoi) lv.47
  • Vikavolt (Railgun) lv.47
  • Aegislash (Excalibur) lv.47
  • Mudsdale (Gaia) lv.47
  • Talonflame (Charlotte) lv.47
  • Pangoro (Bancho) lv.47

I beat Olivia's Grand Trial on Akala island. Her Lileep and Anorith are still exceptionally annoying to deal with, but after using my Crabrawler and some Power-Up Punch's, I KO'd her Lycanroc with one hit using a Z-move.

Then I explored the Tidal Song Hotel, I never realized there was a second floor to that joint, and the Hano Grand Resort. I collected up to 41 Totem Stickers at this point and got my Totem Raticate and Araquinid.

Now I'm at the Aether Foundation to let myself be annoyed with all the cut-scenes.

Dealt with Po Town, though I did get sweeped by Guzma's Pinsir once, that damn moxie boost. I then went to Aether and beat up some grunts. I then item spammed to beat Guzma a second time as I was under levelled - however, I lost to Lusamine on her last Pokemon. Seems a loss here is accepted. However, f that - I soft reset. I'm now going to have to gain 5 or so levels because this is what happens when you turn your exp share off and use 6 Pokemon equally. Fun. At least, whislt 5 levels underlevelled, I took her down to her last Pokemon leaving it with only orange HP. So stategy wise, I'm fine - but level wise, doesn't matter how well you fight if you come in with so many levels less. What was interesting was - my Miltoic killed hers, then her Lopunny killed my Lopunny (was expecting Misagius, so I thought I could deal with it as it would struggle to hit me). Also weird was that her Lopunny used Thunderpunch to defeat mine. Mine also knows Thunderpunch. We must be like, long lost lovers or something. Well, next time I'm on will be grind time I suppose, need to make up for this stupidly high level grind. I was even underlevelled for the grand trial against Nanu but that wasn't really a challenge at all. I dislike that the game is balanced on using the exp share, it means that in the end game, I'm 5 or so levels behind. In gen 6, I fought the champion - and won with her killing no Pokemon lol - 8 levels behind her levels.

Crobat- level 41
Randy Orton the Inciniroar - 42
Lopunny - 41
Akechi the Alolan Raichu - 43
Whimiscott- 41
Miltoic - 41

Been avoiding Bulba like the plague since everything got datamined so as not to spoil myself, but I'll give a bit of an update

So far I've been caught off guard and damn near wrecked by every new totem Pokemon, which I actually am happy about, I knew this game would likely be harder than SuMo, but this is a very pleasant surprise

Made it to Necrozma at Ultra Megopolis and got obliterated, lol, so I've been grinding for the past couple of days

My team:

Decidueye, Oranguru, Golisopod, Palossand, Alolan Marowak, and Ampharos

I had a Zoroark for the longest but I ended up replacing him when I went back and got Wimpod (totally didn't know he could be gotten in the tunnel, was a bit salty when I found out I had been waiting to get one for nothing)~ Now bringing him back because I need something for Necrozma. Not sure who I'll leave behind for the battle, but thinking Alolawak since she sadly will be too slow and not bulky enough to take anything~

I just beat the Totem Togedemaru. He was a pain in the ass, as well as the Skymory. My team wasn't up to snuff to handle them, thankfully I had just gotten the Totem Salazzle from Samson Oak as a reward for finding 50 stickers. With Salazzle's corosion ability, I just used toxic on Togedemaru and the Skymory that appeared from SOS and let the pass out from poisoning and just kept using potions while those two try to knock out my Salazzle.

Now I'm off to go poison the Totem Mimikyu.

Went through Po Town, which is still the best part of the game imo. Managed to beat Guzma in one go this time (how does it feel getting Air Slashed by my Masquerain, Guzma >: D), it was still a tough battle though and again it was Dedenne that saved the day. Will never regret getting that little critter <3

Nanu though. Curse having a team that is for the most part weak to Dark or Rock :/ Tried 4-5 times but no luck, so decided to some grinding to get Dedenne to learn Play Rough and Masquerain to learn Bug Buzz. Hopefully that will make the difference.

Meanwhile I still keep getting all stones in Pelago except a Dusk Stone -_- So I guess Murkrow will just have to remain unevolved until Poni.

I completed the RR episode. It was fun, very challenging but only because they use mascots in every battle.
Now I will be hunting legendaries and UBs from the Ultra Wormhole and then will complete the pokedex...again.
I really enjoyed the game and I would have loved it if I hadn't bought SM last year. Too bad I did not foresee GF returning to third versions.

Continuing on after taking a break for a day.

So I finally beat Lusamine at Aether Paradise. Not that it matters since her crazy @ss jumped in the Ultra Wormhole anyway. I am liking this change though. I makes Luasmine out to be a hero rather than a villain like last time. That said, I feel she definitely has some ulterior motives, especially since Dulse and Zossie seem so pissed at her. But before I headed to Poni, I had to do something I've been wanting to do for a while, which was to spend 100k on that Beach Hat in the Mall. It took up most of my life savings, but it was worth it to have some style. :p

I liked the addition of having Gladion come to Poni Island with Lillie and I (I swear that didn't happen before), but it didn't really mean much since he dipped out soon after. Similarly, I liked the changes of having Mina greet Lillie and I on top of the boat instead of the captain, and the fact that I went to Exeggutor Island totally alone. I kin of missed the bonding moment with Lillie, but I did enjoy the little "mission" of having to calm the Exeggutor down when they were being attacked by Pinsir.

RoDex recently gave me the nickname Roto-D, since we're so close :D Anyway, while continuing on, I was nervous that they'd make me battle Hapu before going through the Vast Poni Canyon, but I was happy that it was only Dulse rather than a whole Kahuna. So it seems Lusamine betrayed him and Zossie by using the Ultra Wormhole for her own purposes rather than helping them. Honestly, I can't really tell who's side I'm supposed to be on right now since neither seems to be intentionally doing anything with the intent to hurt someone else, but I guess we'll see soon.

It was quite satisfying 2 hit KOing totem ribombee with my magnezone's flash cannon; Psych up works wonders against those "All stats boosted" totems. (Also, that SOS blissey is dumb and stupid.)

Grinded up to be able to beat Lusamine. This time, I killed all her Pokemon with her only killing one of mine. Shows that being 6 levels behind really is a big difference. I then dealt with Exeggutor Island and arrived at Vast Poni Canyon. They really should've removed the "5 on 1 battle" and saved it for when they can do horde battles again, cuz otherwise, fighting one battle 1v1 with 5 Pokemon on the other team is still dumb.

Crobat- level 48
Randy Orton the Inciniroar - 49
Lopunny - 49
Akechi the Alolan Raichu - 49
Whimiscott- 48
Miltoic - 48

I am in Mount Holukani, and Hau defeated me. I definitely have to work on my team's speed.

+Lurantis was fun to battle, again. I'm not angry for the trial change, actually the opposite.
+/-Olivia had a changes on her team, and she wasn't much of a trouble. They should have changed the setting so it's more climatic.
-Akala is still Skull's worst island. You start taking them seriously until the end.
-The Aether foundation visit was disappointing, all they did was making a very forced appearance from the URS, but the lines were the same.
+/-The Molayne battle was scrapped...I think I know why.
+The Kanto gym is not as bad as people make it to be, as you get to grind a little with some formidable enemies and it has its own music. I prefer it greatly to the Nugget Bridge rehash.

Last edited:
It's going down now.

So before getting a move on with the plot, I went to the Thrifty Megamart to get the Mimikium-Z since my Mimikyu learned Play Rough recently. Other new additions, Rotom had started giving me advise to defeat Pokemon, info on moves moves, and seeing my teams stats. I love how he explicitly says that he's giving me advice that I didn't ask for. But omg, I love Rotom so much. :D

Anyway, after going through Vast Poni Canyon, we take on the 2nd to last trial. Interesting how they made Kommo-o scream the word "sound". I'm guessing that was a creative nod to the fact that both Kommo-o itself and the Ally Noivern it calls on are Pokemon based on sound. Personally I really liked that. The Screech attacks combined with Boomburst which were blocked by Soundproof made for a super tough battle. As such, I got wrecked the first time around. I was able to lower Kommo-o's HP low enough that a special Let's Snuggle Forever attack succeeded in KOing it. Scizor ended up being summoned and since we have literally have nothing to take that on (seriously, my team is so bad against steel-types it's not even funny), we had to mass lower it's attack and defense for my Persian's neutral dark-type moves were able to knock it out.

So Lillie and I go evolve Nebby only for Guzma and Lusamine to fall out of the sky and Necrozma to attack an take control of Nebby. Dusk Mane Nebby puts up a tough fight, especially with Morning Sun, but we defeat him. :) Then Dusk Mane Nebby steals Alola's light :(.

Dulse and Zossie reveal then that...they have a freaking LUNALA on deck. They've been battling me with just Piopole or whatever the heck UB Adhesive's real name is all of this time when they had the whole LUNALA with them. What the heck guys?o_O

Anyway, after screwing up a few times I finally make it to Ultra Megalopolis where I finally meet Psycho and Soliera (I was wondering when they'd show up). And I guess I'm gonna go save Dusk Mane Nebby next.

Beat Kiawe's trial. The Hiker was so hilarious XD

But even though I had a Brionne, I won on my third try. The Marowak summoned Salazzle and kept sweeping my pokemon. It was only when my Pikachu was able to land a Thunder Wave on the Salazzle (and a couple of lucky paralysis) that I was able to win. I used up all my Revives though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom