• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to get my Ultra Moon adventure started today before the year changed (still an hour to go as of this message). Chose Popplio as my starter (had to reset four times before I got a Nature that didn't lower Special Attack), and also have the event Rockruff in the cartridge, waiting to be picked up as soon as I can access the Route 1 Pokémon Center.

I started my second run through of Ultra Sun, finished Lana's trial, and went into the Pokemon center and got a bunch of balloons for my birthday. Two more hours of my bday lol.

I've just gotten past Ultra Necrozma last night and... honestly, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Primarina's Moonblast took care of things quite cleanly. Use Roto Boosts or those stat boosting medicines if you're struggling; it's not too hard to beat it on even ground.

Before starting Mina's trial, which I'm currently on, I also caught a Celesteela and traded it off for a Kartana because this piece of artwork is still my favourite Ultra Beast. It had to be on my team, version exclusivity be damned!

Uhm, so...
I just defeated Ultra Necrozma and the Fairy captain invited me to her house for the Fairy trial.

... I am at a loss for words.

Please don't tell me that's the end of the main story. Please tell me Lusamine's going to backstab everyone and become the Jellyfish Mother again. Or anything. Please omg I might make a post about it later but if that was seriously the end... D:

I am so going to be disappointed if the next step after the Fairy Trial is the league

Please don't tell me that's the end of the main story. Please tell me Lusamine's going to backstab everyone and become the Jellyfish Mother again. Or anything. Please omg I might make a post about it later but if that was seriously the end... D:

I am so going to be disappointed if the next step after the Fairy Trial is the league

I know you wouldn't like spoilers, but I'm not gonna tell you anything. As much as I'm tempted to do that.

Episode RR was so-so. I give the story a 4/10, but the gameplay a 8/10.
The leaders are never shown together, making the whole thing seem very artificial.
Lysandre's scene was very eye-rolling. It was goddamn obvious that he wouldn't have brought the Ultimate Weapon with him.
But Ghetsis...turned the eye-rolling up to eleven. His ideas of "playing with Giovanni" is just another nasty example of this generation's preference for "Don't Show, Tell". And then Colress' interruption...It didn't feel like an epic Stop the villain moment, but more like a mother picking up her son after school.

I liked the gameplay, because there are lots and lots of battles, and very nice puzzles. I didn't have Ground or Psychic types on my team so I struggled a bit with the grunts. The leaders owning legendaries was a very good decision that make the leaders feel very dangerous. The Battle Agency beginning was cool too, I wish it would have been longer.

I tried Ultra Warp Ride and it was difficult at the beggining, because you could get dragged by the holes and lose all your progress. But when I changed the controls I had an easier time, I've already caught Regirock and Regigigas. I hope I don't have to meet all legendaries before the UBs through.

Photo Club didn't have notable postgame improvements, but it's still a nice feature. I'd have liked to see a bit more stickers, but comparing to other features in the game they were generous....

Restarted my spare AS for a change of pace, as well as to continue combating my cold.

Started with a Serious Torchic named Infernox and began my journey. After battling and besting May's Mudkip, I caught a Gentle Poochyena named Jenna from the sneaking "tutorial", though I don't plan to keep her long-term. Helped Wally catch his Ralts and spent some time hunting down one for myself. Kept using the DexNav to find a good one, but when I botched it at one point with a standard wild encounter, I ended up with a shiny Sassy Ralts named Lora. I wasn't expecting that at all, especially since I tend to lose more shinies than I catch (especially if they happen to be Geodude and/or Graveler... damn Self-Destruct/Explosion). But this'll be the first time I will have a shiny in the main team, since most of the shinies I do catch tend to have bad natures, and while her nature is so-so, it doesn't hurt her too much. And truth be told, I was bracing myself for a terrible nature when I caught her, but I'm fine with what she's got now. Afterward, while heading to Rustboro, I caught a Impish Taillow named Skydiver, who had the added bonus of Sky Attack in his arsenal. Not entirely sure if I'll keep him or not, but he'll be useful at the second Gym, so he's sticking around for now.

Anyway, after defeating the Team Aqua grunt, netting myself an EXP Share, I made it to Rustboro. Met May again and did a little extra training to prepare for the Gym battle, evolving Infernox into a Combusken in the process. With Infernox and his newly learned Double Kick, I managed to steamroll Roxanne's Gym in no time flat, earning myself the Stone Badge and Rock Tomb. On the way out, I had to stop the Team Aqua grunt who not only stole things from Devon Corp, but also kidnapped a Wingull named Peeko. Managed to easily subdue him, get back the stolen parts, and saved Peeko. President Stone asked me to deliver a letter to Steven in Dewford, so I hitched a ride on Mr. Briney's ship. Since I have to defeat Brawly in order to give Steven the letter, I went ahead and did so. Lora and Skydiver took care of the Battle Girls and Black Belts while Infernox soloed Brawly, netting me the Knuckle Badge and Bulk Up. Now it's off to find Steven and give him that letter.

Current team:

Infernox (Combusken, male)
Lv 22
Serious, A little quick tempered
Rock Tomb/Peck/Double Kick/Flame Charge

Lora (Ralts, female, Shiny)
Lv 14
Sassy, Proud of its power
Disarming Voice/Confusion/Echoing Voice/Double Team

Jenna (Poochyena, female)
Lv 14
Gentle, Strongly defiant
Ice Fang/Howl/Sand Attack/Bite

Skydiver (Taillow, male)
Lv 15
Impish, Loves to eat
Sky Attack/Wing Attack/Quick Attack, Focus Energy

Since I'm not likely going to get to play my copy of Ultra Moon for a while (long story, personal reasons), I'll just go ahead and now list here the team I've been planning to build for myself (as of now, I only have my starter, Popplio):

-Primarina (Item: Primarium Z)
-Alolan Raichu (Item: Aloraichium Z)
-Dusk Form Lycanroc (Item: Lycanium Z(?))
-Zoroark (Item: Darkinium Z)
-Alolan Marowak (Item: Thick Club)
-Tsareena (Item: Amulet Coin)

Started up AlphaSapphire again and chose Treecko. I'm currently leveling up a freshly caught Numel for my party, then it's off to Fallarbor.

Current Team:
Grovyle lv.21
Zubat lv.21
Spheal (bred in X) lv.20
Magnemite lv.20
Numel lv.17

Last edited:
Having cleared Episode RR and gotten my desired team up to level 100, I don't really believe there's anything left to do besides fill up the Pokédex. Here's the gang:

-Primarina @ Wiki Berry
-Rotom @ Leftovers
-Houndoom @ Houndoominite
-Oranguru @ Psychium Z
-Kartana @ Razor Claw
-Kommo-o @ King's Rock

Starting a sort of speedrun on Alpha Sapphire just to play through my favorite region, I'm not using 100% speedrun tactics, like their exact team and what not, just rushing the game with my team of choice, going to be getting a Treecko and Ralts early on.

I finally made my way to the Alola League! Its nice to see Victory Road is more of a Victory Road now, with trainers all over the place now. I spotted Necrozma along the way, though I left it alone for now. I made some last minute preparations, such as grabbing Ice Beam for my Vaporeon and reteaching my Noivern, Dragon Pulse. Once I made it to the league, I got this very cute cutscene with my Decidueye. I love that they added that! Battling through the Elite 4, my team was about 10 levels above everyone else, so it was a very easy run going through the Elite 4 and sadly not Professor Kukui. Finally, I am the Alolan Champion!!

Final Team
-Revali the Decidueye- Level 70
-Peaches the Dusk Lycanroc- Level 69
-Boomer the Noivern- Level 69
-Vappers the Vaporeon- Level 70
-RazzleDazzle the Salazzle- Level 68
-Sonic the Alolan Sandslash- Level 70

Now its time to go into the Pokemon Bank and grab my Platinum team to take on Team Rainbow Rocket. I hate Ghetsis, so I want to just destroy his team.

Started a new game in Platinum which I basically haven't played since HeartGold came out. Going to keep the travelog quite simple in a similar style to the Journal feature of the game, with my own additions.

MONDAY 19TH FEBRUARY
- Started from Twinleaf Town.
- Obtained Chimchar from Professor Rowan.
- Defeated Barry and his Piplup.
- Met a strange, slightly sinister man at Lake Acuity.
- Rested comfortably at home.
- Obtained a Potion.
- Obtained a Pokédex from Professor Rowan.
- Was taught how to catch Pokémon by Lucas.
- Caught a Shinx.
- Battled Logan at Route 202.
- Arrived in Jubilife City.
- Met the mysterious Looker.
- Rested at the Pokémon Centre.

WEDNESDAY 21ST FEBRUARY
- Started from Jubilife City.
- Visited the Trainer's School.
- Received the Town Map from Barry.
- X Accuracy, Paralyse Heal and Potion were obtained.
- Received a Pokétch.
- Obtained an Old Rod.
- Visited the Ravaged Path.
- A wild Budew was defeated.
- Beat Samantha at Route 204.
- X Defend, Repel and Poké Ball were obtained.
- A wild Starly was defeated.
- Beat Diana at the Oreburgh Gate.
- Arrived in Oreburgh City.
- Rested outside the Oreburgh Gym.

CURRENT TEAM
Chimchar, male, Level 13.
Shinx, male, Level 13.

POKÉDEX - 16

So after reading the Favorite Pseudo Legendary thread, I decided to do a Nuzlocke of UM with all of them hatched from eggs just to see how they all stacked up.

The rules were simple:
1. You have the 8 pseudo legendary lines as your pokémon.
a. No catching anything. Period.
b. Shiny pokémon may be caught and then sent to the GTS.
2. You have to name them all.
3. If it faints it's dead. Off to the GTS with it.
a. Only applies to areas where the affection is seen, meaning that the forced Battle Royal battle is considered a simulation and not a death.
4. Battle Style must be Set
5. To offset the difficulty in this challenge, I will be specially breeding these pokémon.
a. All of them will have Outstanding Potential
b. Once hatched they will be EV trained as well
c. In addition Egg/TM/Tutor moves will be granted

Dratini: Spike
Pupitar: Mel
Beldum: HAL9000
Gible: Ella
Dineo: Songbird
Goomy: Schmoo
Kamono-o: Eragon

Having advanced the game to the point where I could trade for the Eggs put me just before the forced school day. Even at lvl 1, the base pseudos were pretty solid throughout Melemele. Even the Totem Raticate wasn't an issue (Dragon Rage works wonders). I have to say, Dineo was my MVP for this island.

Heading over to Akala saw the first challenges for my team. Coming up against the Tauros and Miltank forced me to rely on my Pupitar and Beldum a lot. My greatest challenge so far was against the Water Totem. A grueling battle for my team who was weak to almost everything that it could throw at us. It took a lot of luck, but when the dust settled, Mel was dead and we had put our 2nd Totem/Trial behind us.

Moving on to the fire trial.

As some of you may know, I've been breeding for a 5 IV HA Rockruff. 5 IVs is pretty easy to attain with enough patience, but I didn't get 5 IVs...

I got 6! Ba-bang!

rockruff1.jpg
rockruff2.jpg

One male, one female. Both with Steadfast and Sucker Punch. So um... wow. I didn't even TRY to get perfect IVs. Why couldn't this happen when I spent days breeding for a perfect Gible?!

Okay, since I have yet another cold (my third in three months... this doesn't bode well for the rest of the year), I decided to pick up my games again. I finally picked Ultra Sun again (I have been seriously neglecting it without meaning to) and continued where I left off.

Last time I had defeat Lana's trial by using the weather to my advantage (something I don't normally do). In that case I use Roll the Alolan Vulpix's Snow Warning to negate the rain and chip away at the Totem and its ally (Roll is the result of a breeding project I wanted to dabble in, so that's how I got her so early). This allowed Roll to steamroll her way to victory, though I did have to switch to Hub the Dartrix for the last stretch, as Roll had gotten pretty worn out by the tail-end of the battle. So onward to the Fire Trial. I knew that Hub, Roll, and ElecMan would be at a disadvantage (they're Grass, Ice, and Bug, respectively), so I spent some time fishing. I was originally planning to catch Mareanie, but I was unable to find Corsola at all, even with the bubble spots, so I settled for SharkMan the Wishiwashi (truthfully, DiveMan would probably be a better name, as both School Form and DiveMan look like submarines, but I didn't think of that at the time, and I'm too lazy to change it, so the name stays). So now I had two party members to tackle Totem Marowak: SharkMan and Rush the Lycanroc.

After dealing with the Ultra Recon Squad and taking care of business in the Battle Royale, I made my way to the Fire Trial site. I was still a bit concerned about dealing with the Totem, as it proved to be a brute back in UM (this was before I learned it had a Thick Club, which explains how it brutalized my team before). So I decided to fight fire with fire, so to speak. I caught a Cubone and named him SkullMan, taught him Thief, and leveled him up a bit until he got Bonemerang. So onto the trial itself. SkullMan did surprisingly well, and when it came to the Totem, I snatched the Thick Club from it on the first turn (Marowak used Flame Wheel instead of Detect, which gave me an opening). I did have to recall SkullMan once Salazzle got into the mix, as both she and Marowak knocked SkullMan down to the red, but now with Marowak's power cut down, SharkMan was able to completely swamp both Salazzle and Marowak (though Marowak did take some extra work, and still managed to deal some impressive damage regardless). But in the end I won the trial and got the next Z-Crystal. Due to his performance in the trail, I decided to keep SkullMan for a little while longer and see what else he could do. Plus now he had the stolen Thick Club, so his power was much higher than when I was training him beforehand, making other battles easier. So onward to Mallow's Trial.

I ran into Mohn and took care of some stuff in Poke Pelago, though I didn't have enough Poke Beans to do much construction work at the time. But either way I continued my trek. Ran into the Ultra Recon Squad again, then got the TM from Corless, and then gave that poor bullied Vulpix from earlier some love. Honestly, that Vulpix was the sole reason I decided to give Alolan Vulpix a shot, as I was pretty upset about Alolan Forms being Kanto-only Mons, making it feel like a wasted idea. And I will say Roll has been a valuable teammate, so she may be changing my views on Alolan Forms. I still don't like them being Kanto-only, but my views are softening a bit. Anyway, moving on, after battling and collecting items, I ran into Hau who was talking about the Festival Plaza. Since I already dealt with that before, I didn't have to do any force tutorials again, so I moved on.

By then Hub had evolved into Decidueye and SkullMan had evolved into Alolan Marowak, so I cheated a bit with the latter and traded him over to my Ultra Moon (who is at the PC near the League) and had that version of me reteach both Shadow Bone and Flame Wheel before trading it back. Even though I knew that I was overlapping types, I was curious to see how SkullMan would do in the Grass Trial. Plus I've used pretty much every new Fire-type to date except Marowak, so I just decided to roll with it. Anyway, onto the trial itself. This time I had wised up to how the trial works and managed to gather the ingredients without getting the local Mons upset (something that made Mallow happy, as I learned). Then came Totem Lurantis. SkullMan was up at bat once again. To put it simply... he utterly curbstomped Lurantis. One Flame Wheel was enough to OHKO the Totem, winning me the trial in record time. And usually Totem Lurantis is a tough nut to crack. Not this time. So after that performance I decided to keep SkullMan on full-time, giving me my last slot and the needed Fire-type. Maybe Alolan Forms aren't so bad after all. Granted, I still feel they wasted the idea on just Kanto Mons, but my opinion on them is softening a bit. After that I had to stop as my battery was dying, but not too shabby after neglecting the game for so long.

It happened again! Another 6IV.

20180331_142442.jpg

The six you see on the top row of my box will be my new team for Ultra Sun. I don't mind if they're a little overpowered for the story tbh, since most of the game's not a challenge anyway up 'til the very end when everything one-shots you.

I'm towards the end of my second run in Ultra Moon and took out Ultra Necrozma today. Just like it's done in Ultra Sun and the first run of UM, I got destroyed. This time, however, it only took two tries as I brought in a Togedemaru and a Mimikyu to help delay Necrozma's sweeping long enough to bring out someone capable of both withstanding hits and dishing them back out. First attempt, I screwed up and the predictable happened. The second time wasn't perfect, but still went according to plan. I've now got Poipole on my team, and I'm mostly ready to take on Mina's trial. Only thing I'm missing is a nickname for two Pokémon that won't completely clash with what I've got already. Here's my team:

Inferno the Infernape (starter); male; rash; Blaze; Thunder Punch, Iron Tail, Fire Punch (Firium Z), Close Combat

Roc the Archeops; male; quirky; Defeatist; Stone Edge, Crunch, Dragon Claw, Acrobatics

!ootball the Lanturn; female; Volt Absorb; Wise Glasses; modest; Signal Beam, Thunderbolt, Dazzling Gleam/Thunder Wave, Scald

Palossand; female; timid; Water Compaction; Shell Bell; Psychic, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Earth Power

Poipole; modest; Beast Boost; Toxic, Venoshock, Nasty Plot, Poison Jab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom