• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished up Pokemon Red last week. I accidentally over-leveled my Pokemon at Diglett's cave, although they were like 15 levels under Blue. I wiped out the League in one go, without even needing one of the elixirs I'd saved up. I did have Zapdos. I was planning on Jolteon, but I did not want to raise it 6 levels just to get an electric move. I was so done with grinding at that point. Overall, it was a lot of fun and the only leader I had a problem with was Koga of all people. I was not prepared for the Pokemon in his gym at all. Oh. That trainer with his evil confusion knowing Butterfree after exiting Cerulean almost wrecked me. I didn't realize that almost all of my Pokemon were weak to psychic at that point.

I kind of love the sprites. It's why I chose it over yellow. They're so overly detailed, but not always in areas that need to be. So you have evil looking Pokemon, majestic Pokemon (Rapidash is so majestic), and the derpiest messes. I loved that. Storage was a pain. Overall, it was a great experience that has led me to really appreciate the people who call Gen I broken.

Just finished breeding my team for Ultra Moon. Why breed them and not catch, you ask? I will be using these for the Battle Tree, and though Hyper Training is a thing, Egg moves is another.

Finally finished up Pokemon Red last week. I accidentally over-leveled my Pokemon at Diglett's cave, although they were like 15 levels under Blue. I wiped out the League in one go, without even needing one of the elixirs I'd saved up. I did have Zapdos. I was planning on Jolteon, but I did not want to raise it 6 levels just to get an electric move. I was so done with grinding at that point. Overall, it was a lot of fun and the only leader I had a problem with was Koga of all people. I was not prepared for the Pokemon in his gym at all. Oh. That trainer with his evil confusion knowing Butterfree after exiting Cerulean almost wrecked me. I didn't realize that almost all of my Pokemon were weak to psychic at that point.

I kind of love the sprites. It's why I chose it over yellow. They're so overly detailed, but not always in areas that need to be. So you have evil looking Pokemon, majestic Pokemon (Rapidash is so majestic), and the derpiest messes. I loved that. Storage was a pain. Overall, it was a great experience that has led me to really appreciate the people who call Gen I broken.

I've never successfully beaten the Pokémon League in that game, never even got past Lance. That's never happened to me in Pokémon, but it stands to prove that Gen I is probably the most difficult in terms of its mechanics, design and spare amount of types.

Just finished breeding my team for Ultra Moon. Why breed them and not catch, you ask? I will be using these for the Battle Tree, and though Hyper Training is a thing, Egg moves is another.

I've never successfully beaten the Pokémon League in that game, never even got past Lance. That's never happened to me in Pokémon, but it stands to prove that Gen I is probably the most difficult in terms of its mechanics, design and spare amount of types.

I think grinding my Lapras from 15 to 40 or so in Diglett's cave quickly changed the second half of the game to move things in my favor. It's strong, defensive, and can OHKO a much higher level dragon. If I'd stuck with Gyrados or switched to Dewgong, things wouldn't have been the same. A Lapras with Ice Beam is so OP for Kanto.

I think grinding my Lapras from 15 to 40 or so in Diglett's cave quickly changed the second half of the game to move things in my favor. It's strong, defensive, and can OHKO a much higher level dragon. If I'd stuck with Gyrados or switched to Dewgong, things wouldn't have been the same. A Lapras with Ice Beam is so OP for Kanto.

Ice is effective against so many different types before ever Dark Steel or Fairy came to be, and Ice Beam in general is just great.

So I never got to log my new playthrough of UltraMoon. Just beat Ilima's trial, grabbed the yummy 2 Rotom Boosts and saving them for Necrozma. My team so far is the three starters and Grubbin, but I will be adding Rockruff upon going to the second island and Jangmo-o (or whatever the first evolution is) on third/fourth.

Since all of my mons are traded, I follow these clauses:

Set, not shift.
No exp. share.
No Pokemon Refresh.
No Potions unless opposing Trainer uses them, and no exceeding that number.
No revives in-battle. Period.

I’m halfway through Pokémon X again, and I must say, it’s been such a fun experience to really sit back and enjoy the game. The first time I play through games, I’m rushing. I want to finish the game so I can complete the Pokédex, breed Pokémon, and gain access to the post game features. It’s been refreshing to really dig deep and enjoy the game and all of the features it provides.

Currently I’m in Lumiose City, having just defeated the gym. I’ve spent my extra time battling all the trainers, exploring the city, maxing out my style, and earning money in the restaurants. I’ve also been taking the time to plant berries at the farm, simply building my stock for the moment. When I have a large supply, I’ll begin grinding out the mutations. I’ve also extensively played Pokémon Amie, maxing out my team’s affection levels. It’s suprising how handy that was, providing numerous advantages so far.

I have the goal of becoming rich in the game as well, both in Pokédollars and in items. I’ve painstakingly hunted down every item available, collected every TM/HM, am currently attempting to purchase every article of clothing available, and have earned more money than needed. It’s amazing that with a few hours spent at the Lumiose City restaurants, my money has substantially increased. I’m currently sitting at just over 500,000, with having multiple items purchased from the Lumiose City boutique, which isn’t cheap. The extra levels gained from that was only a bonus, as my pokémon sit at a few levels over 60.

I’m just about ready to leave the city and defeat the last stretch of gyms along with Team Flare. After that, I have the post game to complete and I can start on Alpha Sapphire or Black 2. I’m not completely sure which yet. Either way, it’s been an enjoyable way to pass the time, I recommend it to anyone.

Current Team:
  1. Greninja (?)
  2. Talonflame (Adara)
  3. Gallade (Julius)
  4. Venusaur (Atticus)
  5. Aegislash (Zenobia)
  6. Slyveon (?)

Last edited:
Okay, it's been a while since I've picked up a Pokemon game (or ANY game, for that matter). To my defense, I've been plagued with an even WORSE barrage of migraines than normal, even for spring, which is my worst time of the year. Probably doesn't help that the weather here has been insanely unstable, and one of my migraine triggers is unstable/rapid weather changes (case in point, one day it was in the 50s, the following day we had an ice storm with temps in the teens... yes, you read that right, an ICE STORM in April). So I've spent most of my time resting my throbbing head. For now things seem stable...ish, so I got to pick up my games again. Okay, enough complaining, time to get the show on the road.

I picked up my US again for the first time in a while. I had left off just before heading to Aether House for the first time, after meeting the Ultra Recon Squad again. It was time to take the Ghost Trial. I admit I was a bit leery this time around, as I have two Ghost Mons on my team, which would result in double-edged sword battles, but I charged in. Decided to give SkullMan the Marowak some more battle time in order to level him up faster, since lately he's been having trouble with certain foes. So SkullMan was center stage for this trial. He tackled Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar with ease, despite a massive speed difference (he's my slowest teammate right now, thanks to his Brave nature). Then came time for the Totem Mimikyu. I kept SkullMan in the lead, since his Bonemerang could break Mimikyu's Disguise and still deal damage. Not only was leading with him smart for the aforementioned reason, he once again proved to be my Totem Smasher. His naturally high Defense and Attack, plus the Thick Club I stole way back in the Fire Trial proved to be key in, once again, bashing the Totem senseless. He dodged a Shadow Claw right at the start, followed by Bonemerang breaking Disguise and dealt moderate damage to Mimikyu, then he survived a combo of Screech/Shadow Claw/Feint Attack, and KOed both Mimikyu and Bannette with one Shadow Bone each.

Honestly, SkullMan has proven to be my go-to Mon in the past four Trials alone, having either won outright or at least heavily tenderized the Totems AND their supports by himself. And to think I caught him as a Cubone just simply to weaken Totem Marowak to more manageable levels by swiping the Thick Club and using it against the Totem, then deciding to keep him around as a potential Fire-type. While I still feel Alolan Forms concept is wasted on just Kanto Mons, I've at least changed my tune on a few of them (namely Vulpix/Ninetales and Marowak). Though I'm still not super pleased about the Kanto exclusiveness in general, as Kanto pandering has gone to absurd levels as of late. But in any case, the Trial was finished, SkullMan once again proved his power as a Totem Smasher, and I got a shiny new Z-Crystal. I didn't return to the site yet to catch some Mons, but I will in time, as I wanted to get as much done as I could before the next migraine could strike.

Anyway, after all that, I battled Plumeria and won (though Salazzle was surprisingly faster than Rush the Lycanroc and dodged his first Rock Slide, landing two Dragon Pulses in the process), and learned that those numbskulls stole a preschooler's Yungoose. Time to hit Po Town and give Team Skull a sound smashing. Met Faba (who I will never like) along the way before meeting Mr. Sunshine: Nanu. I REALLY don't like Nanu's attitude. As a (somewhat) former depression patient myself, that kind of attitude really rubs me the wrong way, as it gives me all-too-familiar reminders of just how miserable I used to be back as a teen when my depression was in full-swing. That's part of my past I want buried at all costs, as digging it up, or even just getting reminders of it, gives me almost PTSD-like symptoms (yes, my time with depression was veeeeeeeeeery traumatic, but you would feel that way too if you were effectively beaten every day, both verbally and physically, to the point you always came home with multiple wounds, some of them now scars, and the school you went to would keep sweeping those incidents under the rug and do nothing to help). So Nanu's personality just really ruins my mood because of my own experiences in the past. ...Er... let's move away of this subject before I unwittingly diverge into that bit of my history in more detail, so not to ruin this post.

Ahem... anyway, battled my way through the grunts and got to Guzma. Showdown time. Rush with his Splintered Stoneshards Z-Move, SkullMan's Flame Wheel, and Roll the newly-evolved Ninetales' Freeze-Dry won the day for me, sending Guzma packing. I picked up a Bug Z-Crystal while I was at it and started to make my way back. Time to head back to Aether House, and for the horrors that await me when I get there.

That's all for now.

Current Team:

Hub (Decidueye, male, Lv51)
Rush (Lycanroc Dusk, male, Lv49)
Roll (Alolan Ninetales, female, Lv47)
ElecMan (Vikavolt, male, Lv 47)
SharkMan (Wishiwashi, male, Lv48)
SkullMan (Alolan Marowak, male, Lv47)

Just holla'd at Hala, got my Fightium Z and all three starters are evolved. Added Rockruff to my team. Lamented how little clothing options there are versus Pokken. Raged at how every single character has to nod their expletive heads for every single sentence.

I decided to pick up Pokémon White again, and give it a proper playthrough. It's been a long time since I've played, probably last time was 2016. I was hit with a barrage of nostalgia once I restarted my save and began playing again. I thought that switching back to 2D graphics would be difficult for me, but.... I actually like them better. I'd say that that's the nostalgia talking; but I genuinely like it better. The style is oddly calming to me; heck, the whole game is. Anyways, here's my team:

Hondo (Oshawott, Lvl. 15) | Received from Professor Juniper.
Kid Quick (Blitzle, Lvl. 11) | Picked up on Route 3, hence the low level.
Blins (Audino, Lvl. 14) | Picked up in the Dream Yard. Note: The name refers to a kind of Russian pancake. I call him Blin Boy sometimes.
Maggie (Roggenrolla, Lvl. 10) | Caught in that lame cave on Route 3.
Von Kaiser (Lillipup, Lvl. 15) | Picked up on Route 1.

I'm currently on Route 3, trying to get all my Pokémon to level 18.

After Pokémon White, I'll probably replay Pokémon SoulSilver.

Technically a spin-off, but I unlocked all mission panels in the Green League today. In Pokken, that is. I just beat the Chroma League and became the champion, but even with Iron unlocked I don't want to rush into it, as that's the last new thing I have left to look forward to.

@Glass Joe I like 2D way better than 3D. They put so much more effort into their sprites and moves. Plus... Gens VI and VII just look gawdy.

Sadly, I had to drop some Pokémon from my White team. Blins and Kid Quick are now taking a vacation inside the PC. I'll probably release them, I feel bad for keeping them in the box. Kid Quick was just too delicate, it would almost go down completely from only one attack. Blins is being switched out for another Audino that's quicker. My current team now:

Hondo (Dewott, Lvl. 17)
King Hippo (Audino, Lvl. 15)
Maggie (Roggenrola, Lvl. 17)
Von Kaiser (Herdier, Lvl. 17)

I've decided to save my last two slots for a Pokémon that can learn Fly, and another Pokémon that I really like. I really want to get my hands on a Deino eventually, but I have to get into Victory Road for that, so the last slot will probably just have a placeholder Pokémon until then.

@Incinerawr Gawdy is a good word for it. Whenever I play the 3D games (I love them, don't get me wrong), I really dislike the visuals. They're... too bright? I don't know if that makes any sense.

@Glass Joe It's not even their color or contrast, it's the fact that they turned cel-shaded and lost their entire outline, making mons like Gengar and Miltank look like they're melting out of their body. (Much as Gengar would love that, but it's very unintended.) Not to mention they loop their animation so fast it looks like they're hooked on a caffeine/sugar rush.

I'm replaying XY (which I have to say I never realized how terrible the character models look), I'm enjoying myself.

I got to Coumarine City last night, and while taking on the trainers in the Gym, I managed to level up and evolve my Charmeleon. I'll take on Ramos tonight and the gym battle will be pretty easy...

Current X team:

Frogadier L. 35
Charizard L. 36
Talonflame L. 40 (this was one I had hatched from an egg in a previous game run through and stored the hatchling in the bank, so it levels up faster)
Sylveon L. 31
Lucario L. 35

I have also been using Steelix that I received in a trade from a NPC in the game. I'm pretty much done using him in the game at this point, but I may recall him from the PC to battle Clemont. For the permanent 6th slot mon, I'm torn between adding a Gibble/Gabite/Garchomp or another Eeveelution (leaning toward Espeon). I may also just add a Skrelp/Dragalge.

I miss ME being a main game focus. Z-moves have become boring to me.

Okay! The hype has gotten to me. I'm officially gonna start a run of Leaf Green, and all's I know is I want a Charizard. I may soft reset a few times to get him a good nature, but I may leave it be because with the limited movesets Earthquake Zard may be a thing. What do you think? Modest? Or something like Naive/Rash?

Other than that, I have no idea what mons to throw on the team. I'd like an Eevee, probably Jolteon, but they come pretty late in the game IIRC. I won't be grinding for ideal natures or anything, so please give me some suggestions! This game kicked my tail, and I will forever revoke my right to train a Beedril or Raichu, because they failed me.

So I started LeafGreen today, and I'm already forming my team! thanks for all the advice, btw Before I get into the specifics, let me tell you, OMG is that game hard. Even the wild encounters, and Blue, man, even after all these years he hasn't lost his touch. Almost KO'd me then and there on the first visit to the Indigo Plateau. (Where did he get a Pidgey so quickly, and where did he find the time to grind it to Lv. 7 AND his Squirtle to Lv. 9?) Compared to the other games, it's like playing on hard mode, and I do love it to pieces, and Brock is a LOT more challenging than Roxanne or Roark respectively. He kicked my tail and made me rue my existence. Also, it's just so awesome to be playing THE Red, walking in his shoes, and getting the three most classic and best starters there ever will be.

My team at the moment is a Charmeleon and a freshly caught Nidoran♂. With nothing in the way of catching aside from Pidgey and some Bugs, Charmander was practically force fed shovel load after shovel load of Weedles, Caterpies and assorted birbs until he evolved and became Level 19 as he is now. (He's a hungry fella.) I must admit I forgot all about Metal Claw in his learnset and it made me very happy to see. Even for his unremarkable Attack stat, mixed movesets are really viable in this game and almost necessary given that so few representative moves existed back then. He has a Naive nature, so that shouldn't conflict.

Nidoran♂, ooysh, took me a whole hour to catch, and JUST when I caught one I ran out of time and had to quit. Bummer! But I look forward to training him and seeing what moves I can get him. From what I can see, he gets Double Kick which is nice, and there's always Megahorn and Earthquake down the road. Might be able to give him a Sp. Atk move given that he has a Bold nature, which is +Def and -Atk...

-ATK?! WTF? Aww crap, now he's nerfed. .w. Oh well. This will be the chance to cast aside my OCD and live with a hampered nature. It is just in-game after all. Yes. I c-can take it...

Third post? Hmm, sorry to hear that no one has a game going. Oh well... I do!

To save on lots of text, and because I don't have a lot of time to write this, I reached Celadon today and burned Eirika and all her trainers with Charmeleon. (Seriously, he gets Flamethrower at level 34? No drawbacks?) I also went down to the Team Rocket HQ and beat Giovanni, who will always hold a special place in his heart. That game will in general. I mean, how many Grunts can you talk to that say, "Go away before I punch you"?

sighes blissfully

Oh right, and my team so far is:

Lv. 35 Charizard
Lv. 34 Nidoking
Lv. 34 Machoke
Lv. 31 Jolteon

I want to add Lapras and Exeggutor, but then I'll have 4 special sweepers, so I'm thinking of swapping Exeggutor for Snorlax. I mean, sure, two of my mons are vulnerable to Water- and Ground-type moves, but I already have Jolteon for Water, Charizard is flat-out immune to Ground, and Lapras resists Water anyway.

Snuggable kitty/bear/thing with Return > tree full of heads

So about a week ago I became aware of the Master Dex Challenge...

It’s... uh... extensive.

But I figured, what the Hell, seems like a cool way to get my Pokémon fix while I wait for the new games to come out! Especially since I long ago exhausted my Ultra Sun run through.

I won’t type here what the Master Dex Challenge is so if you don’t know, type it into YouTube for a good explanation! To sum it up in one sentence though - Full living Dex with every Pokémon caught in its original native region, with a few... ok, a LOT of extras.

So, to begin... Pokémon Yellow! I’ve just beaten the league and the team that accompanied me for the majority of the journey was the following -

Masara the Raichu (I traded the Pikachu to Pokémon Red to evolve it then traded it back)
Kuchiba the Blastoise
Daisuke the Charizard
Fuji the Snorlax
Primeape (no nickname)
Terry the Nidoqueen

1 billion bonus points if you understand the nicknames!

Anyway, the league is really the secondary objective behind PokéDex completion - but as with gyms, success is important to unlock all the areas and get those sneakier, more elusive wild Pokémon! I have been playing Pokémon Red sort of alongside my Yellow run through, partly for Pokémon unavailable in Yellow, partly for trade evolutions and partly because I need multiples of a few different Pokémon - namely the starters, Eevee and the fossil Pokémon. A run through of Blue version is also necessary... sounds exhausting right!

120 of 151 Kanto Pokémon caught so far. I won’t be playing over the weekend or much of next week so it could be a week or so before I can finish up and head over to neighbouring Johto. I’m going to start with Gold :) looking forward to the change of scenery by the time I’m done with three playthroughs of GameBoy Kanto haha!

Can we all take a second to acknowledge how nightmare-inducing the Pokémon Red/Blue sprite for Golbat was? Yeah.

FINALLY finished the RR Story on US after not playing for 3+ months. Trying to figure out what to do next, Elite 4 rematch or get back to work on UM.

Got over 8,000 coins in Game Corner to get my Jolteon Thunderbolt + Shadow Ball, and why not, with how small its Gen III learnset is? I might add I got a Timid female Eevee, and that's freaking rare.

Also caught a Snorlax with a Relaxed Nature and Thick Fat. Win. Still not sure what to call him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom