• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got over 8,000 coins in Game Corner to get my Jolteon Thunderbolt + Shadow Ball, and why not, with how small its Gen III learnset is? I might add I got a Timid female Eevee, and that's freaking rare.

Also caught a Snorlax with a Relaxed Nature and Thick Fat. Win. Still not sure what to call him.

While getting such a great Eevee is insanely amazing, you do remember that Shadow Ball runs off the Attack stat in Gen III, not the Special Attack stat. This is because the Ghost type was considered a physical type at the time, so Shadow Ball is a physical move in Gen III. So the Timid nature will negate, or at least weaken, Shadow Ball's oomph, making it rather redundant. Just FYI.

As for the Snorlax, how about Kasnooze, after the sleep-inducing spell from Dragon Quest? Or maybe Heffalump, since Snorlax is a hefty lump of a Mon.

While getting such a great Eevee is insanely amazing, you do remember that Shadow Ball runs off the Attack stat in Gen III, not the Special Attack stat. This is because the Ghost type was considered a physical type at the time, so Shadow Ball is a physical move in Gen III. So the Timid nature will negate, or at least weaken, Shadow Ball's oomph, making it rather redundant. Just FYI.

As for the Snorlax, how about Kasnooze, after the sleep-inducing spell from Dragon Quest? Or maybe Heffalump, since Snorlax is a hefty lump of a Mon.

Actually I didn't know that, but that's interesting to know. Crunch used to be a Special move IIRC (which doesn't make much sense). Won't hurt Jolteon to have Shadow Ball IMO - her learnset is pretty darn nonexistent in the special department, never mind the limited move availability in Gen III. And who cares? I spent an hour at the Game Corner getting strings of three 7's to buy the TM - no skin off my back, or Poké off my wallet as it were.

Never played Dragon Quest, though I hear good things about it. TBI I'm leaning toward Big Ben for Snorlax, not sure why. It's one of those whim names you just think up that automatically validate themselves. I could call him Somnus or something but eh, Latin is so ten years ago and seems way too serious for Pokémon.

Started playing Platinum yesterday as my first main series playthrough!

I picked Chimchar, with no nickname since I like the Chimchar line's names. I bought Pokeballs and captured a Starly before I realised Dawn will give me 5 for free anyway.
Barry is a bit too hyperactive for my tastes but I'm still enjoying him as I named him after my best friend and it makes for some funny lines of dialogue.
So my journey began with Star the Starly, and Chimchar. Soon, I captured a Shinx with no nickname too.

After completing the initial tasks, and battling my way through wild Pokémon which I didn’t want, I reached the first gym. And the gym leader was supposed to be in the mines. Okay.
This is the moment I realised why the fanbase hates Zubat with a passion.

I lost the first time against the gym leader since my team was very ill suited to battle him (Chimchar, and Starly are weak to rock and Shinx couldn’t do anything against the opponents). Thankfully Chinchar had to level up once and evolve, learning Mach Punch in the process and becoming the MVP.
I also captured a Bidoof to be my HM Slave.
Sometime later Star evolved into Staravia and Shinx into Luxio.

Monferno also carried me through the trek to Eterna Forest, since the rest of my party had fainted. The monkey defeated three trainers in a row with 2 points of HP!

Eterna Gym was a breeze thanks to Fire and Flying coverage. I caught a Buizel later as another permanent member (my memory's getting rusty).

I just went through Wayward cave and returned with a Gible, went to MT. Coronet and captured a Chingling.
Shut down the game as I reached Hearthrome.

Current Team:
Monferno Level 30
Star (Staravia) Level (23)
Buizel (Level 24)
Luxio (Level 21)
HM Slave (Bibarel) (Level 18)
Togepi (Level 11) [Not permanent- will be most probably replaced with Gible]

Last edited:
For the past few weeks, I've been playing Silver again after a battery replacement.

I chose Cyndaquil as my starting Pokémon. Other team members include Kadabra, Quagsire, Umbreon, Jynx, and Machoke (evolved from the Goldenrod NPC-trade Machop). I caught Lugia at some point and am at the Pokémon League now.

Since my gf finally bought herself a copy of Heart Gold, I decided to start my Soul Silver over to (hopefully) finish it this time around!
Chose Chikorita as a starter which now has evolved into Bayleef, but that sad sad boy is pretty useless, and I mainly rely on my good buddy Arbok at lvl 29 and sometimes also Quagsire at lvl 27.
Was so lucky I managed to catch a shiny Vulpix, too! She's at lvl 26 right now but I can hardly wait until I've found a fire stone to evolve her into Ninetales. Looking forward to that.

For the past few weeks, I've been playing Silver again after a battery replacement.

I chose Cyndaquil as my starting Pokémon. Other team members include Kadabra, Quagsire, Umbreon, Jynx, and Machoke (evolved from the Goldenrod NPC-trade Machop). I caught Lugia at some point and am at the Pokémon League now.
I just beat Red, albeit with a woefully under-leveled team. I played the entire game on a Super Game Boy in honour of the release of the Space World '97 prototype. The Pokédex currently stands at 77 owned.

I recently got Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (which still goes for 30 dollars! Ain't that original sale price?) And so far I'm a Mudkip, my partner is an Eevee, and I have a Machop and an Anorith in my party. I really love it so far. I played once a while ago but I was kinda young and didn't understand the game so I gave it away in frustration. The game is still kind of frustrating to me but for different reasons.

Luckily I still have my white DSi to play it on, which is as close to the original system the game was meant for as I can get at the moment.

My emulated playthrough of SoulSilver has crashed twice within about a year, meaning I first lost literally all of my progress when I was only a little grinding away from facing Red, and second time when I was ready to start my Elite Four challenge. I decided to take my mind off of it by playing some Pokémon White (thanks to some inspiration by Chuggaaconroy), but when I got to Castelia City, I saw that most of the streets and piers were glitched in one way or another, preventing me from accessing areas required for continuing on in the game and thus basically making my game as good as dead.

This rotten luck just keeps getting on my nerves so hard...

PS. As a side note, it's also getting even harder to get myself into a better mood by listening some Pokémon game music now, because all the music from the games I've lost just makes me think about those losses.

I decided I was bored, so I am starting another run through of Pokemon Black.

So far my team is:

Pignite lv 12
Snivy lv 13
Lillipup lv 12
Pansage lv 11

I will have Oshawott on my team once I get far enough in a dummy game of Black 2 to transfer it over to Black. Pignite was my starter, so annoying Cheren has Oshawott.

I have to say, not playing Pokemon Black for a while has really made me realize how beautiful BWB2W2 are. The graphics, while being 2D are colored well, and there is more detail in the environment than in gens previous to it. The art style makes me think of Pre-3D Final Fantasy in some ways.

My new playthrough of Pokémon White has been going pretty smoothly. Right now I have six Badges, and today I cleared Twist Mountain and reached Icirrus City after doing a lot of backtracking with Surf finally at my disposal, including catching my final team member (well, that part technically happened yesterday, but still) and Cobalion. Thanks to some good usage of my Lucky Egg at one point, my levels are looking more than nice right now.

Here's my current team:

* Samurott (level 39)
* Zebstrika (level 39)
* Lilligant (level 39)
* Krokorok (level 39)
* Archeops (level 39)
* Fraxure (level 40)

Although I've used almost all of these Pokémon in my previous Unova adventures, this time, I also took some inspiration from Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of Pokémon White, including the use of Archeops. And let me tell you, that Acrobatics hits like a truck loaded with bricks!

I also have plans to play Black 2 once I'm done with this game.

Okay, in continuation with my other posts, it's time to post a progress report on my White rerun. So here we go.

Started with a Quirky Tepig named Nitro. Beat both Bianca and Cheren (though they were close, as both of them scored lucky crits at one point), got the Dex and started my adventure. Caught some temp members, knocked the stuffing out of N, and made my way to the first Gym. Oh, yeah, I beat Bianca and Cheren again. I picked up the Ele-Monkey (Pansage) from the Dreamyard, since most of my battles had been for grinding Nitro until he got Flame Charge. With those two I won my first badge handily. I held onto the monkey for a bit until I could start gathering more permanent teammates. After doing Fennel's request and stopping Team Plasma, I caught both a Munna and a Musharna (both were Calm), but I went with Munna due to its better natural movepool and some advice from a fellow forum member. Named her Mysty and added her to the ranks.

After battling Cheren again I had to stop Team Plasma. Again. Caught my fill in the cave, including a Careful Drilbur named Drillbit and a shiny Woobat, who I boxed. Drillbit became teammate #3. Very shortly afterward, I caught a shiny Rash Pidove and named her Ravess (after the Storm Hawks character, plus it sounded cool), adding her to the ranks. By the time I got near the second Gym, I noticed that most of my team was a bit underleveled, so I did some grinding in Pinwheel Forest (well, the section you can access at that time, anyway). I ended up catching a Serious Tymploe named Rhythm, adding him to the team. So I did some grinding until I was satisfied and challenged the second Gym. Drillbit took care of Herdier, but Nitro (now a Pignite), had trouble with Watchog. He still pretty much won, but Watchog was very heavy on the offense, hitting me with two Retaliates right away, reducing Nitro's HP to 2. But, again, Nitro did win, earning me my second badge.

Had to deal with Team Plasma. AGAIN! And during that time Ravess evolved into Tranquil, giving me another evolved Mon. Took care of what I could in the inner part of Pinwheel Forest, nabbing my third shiny today, in this case an Audino, who I boxed. After enough hunting and grinding (and I'm still missing one of the Ele-Monkeys), I moved on to the next area. Did some battling, shopping, and helped Burgh, Bianca, and newcomer Iris track down Team Plasma. AGAIN! That Ghetsis just oozes of evil. I want to punch him for it, but Bianca came first. Got her Munna back and chased those knights in double-knit out of the city. After that, I battled Burgh and won very handily. Then had to face Bianca in yet another battle (though she's not stalker levels like Cheren) and won (though her Munna gave me a lot of trouble). Healed up and moved on out... only to face Cheren AGAIN! With only Drillbit being a Ground type, only he could weather the weather in this route. Took some back and forth, but Cheren went down, and Rhythm evolved into Palpitoad in the process, giving me two Mons with sandstorm resistance. Now I'm off to catch some Mons and battle the local Trainers, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. My team is as followed.

Nitro (Pignite, male, 29)
Mysty (Munna, female, 25)
Drillbit (Drilbur, male, 25)
Ravess (Tranquil, female, 25)
Rhythm (Palpitoad, male, 25)

That's all for now.

I am doing another run through of Pokemon Black, and I'm nearing my fourth badge and I have a full team for now: Servine, Dewott, Pignite, Tranquil, Herdier, and Timburr. One of the last 3 is going to get boxed when I catch a ground type to take on the annoying electric type gym. I like the Lillipup line, and Tranquil will be around simply because of the Fly HM, so it'll be Timburr who gets boxed. I want to get a psychic or ghost down the road, and when that happens Tranquil will probably be put in the PC unless I need it to fly somewhere.

I guess it's time for an update on my X rerun, as it's been a while since I've last posted anything about it.

So today, I defeated Clemont using my newly caught/evolved Jetfang the Gabite and Selena the Mawile (who is now my Mega-Mon, and yes, that means I cheated a bit and traded over unused items like Mega Stones from other Gen VI games, but I might as well use them for something instead of just stockpiling them in now-unused games). Anyway, Jetfang did struggle a bit against Clemont, since his Emolga kept spamming Aerial Ace and Magneton's Mirror Shot did some hefty damage, which is why Selena needed to sub at certain points. I was tempted to use Martina the Mienfoo against Helioisk, but Jetfang scored a well-timed crit with Bulldoze, ending the battle then and there. Then it was time to head to the next town. Battled my main rival... and didn't break a sweat (geez, the rivals in this game are super easy to clobber, especially since none of them, except Calem/Serena, go past 3 Mons until Olympia, and even then it's not much of an improvement), went on a catching spree, and entered the "spooky house". Snore.. huh? Oh, sorry, zoned out there. Oh? The story is over? Some spooky house... Anyway, made it to Valerie's gym, pretty much soloing the whole gym with Aerrow the Talonflame and his Steel Wing (though I will admit Valerie actually put up a decent fight, especially since Steel Wing missed a couple of times, forcing me to use Roost at one point), with Martina evolving into Mienshao in the process. That pretty much leaves Jetfang as the last Mon needing to evolve, but that'll be a bit. Anyway, then it was time to beat the not-so-stylish pants off of Team Fail... I mean Team Flare, at the Poke Ball factory. This actually gave Jetfang a nice boost in EXP and levels, getting him pretty much on the cusp of evolving, but he still have a few levels to go. Moving on, tag-teamed the two Flare Scientists with my rival. Yes, Celosia, you, and your entire team, are lame. Very lame. Got a Master Ball and Big Nugget for my troubles before calling it quits for the day. Here's my team:

Greninja (Tidal, male, Lv58)
Talonflame (Aerrow, male, Lv54)
Mienshao (Martina, female, Lv51, and yes, she's named after the DQXI character, though I used her Japanese name instead)
Mawile (Selena, female, Lv52)
Exeggutor (Yoko, female, Lv41, and the reason her Lv is so low is she was a last-minute decision, so she hasn't gotten many battles under her belt yet)
Gabite (Jetfang, male, Lv44, and like Yoko, he was a last-minute decision, so he still needs some work)

That's all for now.

I'm doing a playthrough of Pokemon Black 2, I'm midway through challenging the Elite Four. I'll take care of the 2 remainders and Iris when I get home tonight.

My team:

Zoroark
Lucario
Emboar (chosen starter)
Serperior
Samurott
Reshiram (traded from a previous run through of Black, I wasn't willing to struggle with the Dragon gym this go round).

My team is okay considering I put no thought into it. In Black 2 I don't mind mixing generations for my team, but in Black I keep it Gen V only even in post-game).

My White re-playthrough has been going well, and during my post-game quest, I have now entered White Forest. Unfortunately, there's no grass or water, so I can't catch any new Pokémon here. Next off I'll be heading to Route 15 and Marvelous Bridge. After that, the only place in Unova I haven't been to yet (naturally excluding Liberty Garden) is Challenger's Cave. And once I'm done with that, it's time to start grinding for the Pokémon League rematches and possibly do some side stuff as well.

Everybody in my team has naturally already reached their final evolutions:
* Samurott (trusty starter)
* Zebstrika (also has Overheat, my only Fire move)
* Lilligant (made sure to get one with Own Tempo so that I can spam Petal Dance if I feel like it)
* Krookodile (didn't evolve until level 48 to get Earthquake before the post-game)
* Archeops (this thing hits anything like a truck)
* Haxorus (awesome Dragon that has served me well (even though I made sure to raise one with Mold Breaker in preparation for Ghetsis's Eelektross, and then I forgot to teach it Bulldoze before the battle, oi...))

So, overall, been doing nicely! After I'm done with this game, I'll probably try to replay HeartGold or SoulSilver before the Let's Go games come out, but we'll see.

I'm doing my first run through of White 2 in like years. I'm having a blast - I have a female Krokorok and I taught it Attract. Between Attract and Swagger, she just charms up her male opponents and they just trip all over themselves and knock themselves out.

My re-playthrough of White has officially entered the post-game grinding phase. I've explored pretty much everything there is to explore in Unova and defeated pretty much every Trainer there is to find (including all the Riches), and now I'm challenging the Big Stadium and Small Court every day I can for some sweet, sweet experience.

Yesterday, I also took my first-ever trip aboard the Royal Unova. Yup. I've previously done four playthroughs through Unova, and none of those had me board that ship a single time. But now I have done it, and I must say, I enjoyed the experience. Gotta do it again later. I honestly owe it to Chuggaaconroy for showing me that it wasn't quite as complicated as I had feared.

I haven't done the battles with Morimoto and Cynthia yet, but I'm saving those for when my team has gained a few more levels. Right now, everybody is at level 65.

Several hours of playing ultra warp ride in ultra sun has really shown me how frustrating it can be if you're looking for legendary pokemon.Merely running into any legendary at all from any wormhole that isn't tier 4 feels like a miracle due to how small the chance is. Looking for specific legendaries is even worse; I've spent the past few hours looking for Ho-Oh and so far I've encountered tornadus 3 times, zapdos twice, and both articuno/cresselia once. Also arceus help you if you encounter a tier 4 wormhole on the edege while travelling through a curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom