• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given I've more or less just started, initially I am concerned about the ability to just grind levels outside of battle -- though I admit it is alleviated by being able to shuffle up your party while out in the field. It is also balanced by the fact that only catching Pokemon gives you EXP (i.e. your ability to grind levels is ultimately limited by your stock of Poke Balls) and every other source of EXP and/or money (i.e. trainer battles) is, just as in previous main games, limited.
Getting Premier Balls when buying 10 Poke Balls at a time YES!

Did I mention my starter Eevee is a female? Anyway, we found a few Pikachu (and a Bulbasaur!) in Viridian Forest and took on Brock with a team of:
Bulbasaur
Spearow
Both Nidorans (with Double Kick)
Pikachu (with Double Kick)
Eevee (with Double Kick)
Except for Bulbasaur being sub-Lv.5, everyone was Lv.10 or 11, an even level match for Brock. But we insisted on wearing down that Onix without using super-effective moves, and had a blast doing it. Even so, it's a good design choice that the only Grass moves you get this early are Physical, because Brock had several generations of being positively wiped by Special moves (heck, back in Gen 1 even Ember was notoriously effective).

Last edited:
Let's Go Pikachu has bean beaten and I now plan to catch all of the legendary Pokemon in Let's Go Eevee. Then I'll probably grind like crazy to beat Red, Blue, and Green and the Master Trainers for my team.

Pics of both of my starters.
rEBOaip.jpg

fLIJBgh.jpg

Last week I started a Dragon monolocke run on Pokemon Blue (virtual console).

Since there are so few dragons in Gen, to prevent myself from having to make a team of 6 Dragonite, I've expanded my definition of a "dragon" to be basically anything that can learn Dragon Rage, is in the Dragon egg group or becomes a Dragon in later gens. So I picked up a Charmander from Oak, said goodbye to Mum, and headed off!

(To add some legitimacy to the not-Dragon Dragon theme, I also decided to use the Pewter City walk-thru-walls glitch to make a quick trip to the Safari Zone (picking up a Super Rod, an Abra from Celadon, and some TMs on the way) so I can start the game with a Dratini as my "real" starter haha. I also gave the guards lemonade for non-linearity lolz.)

Water Gun/Wrap Dratini totally destroyed both my Rival and the Pewter Gym, after which I picked up my third dragon at Mount Moon--Magikarp :D Then Charmander (now Charmeleon, woop woop) and I began some intense training in preparation to overthrow the Rocket Occupation of Mt. Moon. All the trainers were super easy except one Rocket who for some reason had a lv. 16 Raticate with Hyper Fang D: but I knew this was coming, so I taught Charmeleon Counter in advance :p

Me and my dragon squad are now in Cerulean, training for the next Rival battle. I'm very much enjoying this run so far ^^

Team so far:
  • Treazora, the Dratini, lv. 21
  • Lacerto, the Charmeleon, lv. 24
  • Firma, the Magikarp, lv. 11

Last edited:
Last weekend I started my second playthrough of Pokémon Black 2. As I picked Oshawott in my recently-finished Pokémon White playthrough, I really would've wanted to use Snivy this time around, but I've already decided that my Grass type for this playthrough will be Virizion, my favorite Legendary Pokémon from Generation V. Sure I'll have to wait for quite a while for it, but it'll be worth it.

I've recently beat Roxie, filmed my debut film at Pokéstar Studios, and taken care of a couple Neo Team Plasma Grunts, and next I'm going to board a ship to Castelia City.

My team so far:
  • Oshawott (level 14)
  • Pidove (level 14)
  • Riolu (level 14)
  • Growlithe (level 15)
  • Magnemite (level 14)
  • Patrat (placeholder/HM slave)

I'm replaying Pokemon Y because I'm on break, bored with Switch and my PS4, and not in the mood for SM/USUM.

I'm currently outside the Pokemon Day Care - just finished with capturing the Snorlax that was napping on the bridge.

Current team:

Frogadier level 16
Fletchinder level 19
Ivysaur level 16
Gibble level 15 (I had a spare Gibble that I had bred a long time ago, so I threw him into the game via the Pokemon Bank).

I did not do any planning of my team in advance, I don't feel like I need to. I've completed these games like a million times.

My replay of Pokémon Black 2 is going smoothly. Just yesterday, I earned the Bolt Badge from Elesa (without the need to use the Sandshrew I had put in my party just in case) and made my way to Driftveil City.

An unexpected team change happened while I was back in Castelia: since I had used an Unfezant so many times in Unova and my favorite Unova bird, Braviary, is exclusive to White 2, I decided do things a little differently and dump my Pidove for a Zubat I caught in Castelia Sewers and make it my Flying-type team member.

So I've gone from having one playthrough going (Virtual Blue) to ... four XD

Pokemon Ultra Moon: Got this for xmas and I am SO HYPE. Just about to take on the second trial @Akala, current team:

1. Strigo the Dartrix♂, lv. 22
  2. Vesperajxa the Lycanroc-Dusk form♀, lv. 25
  3. Belmusxa the Ribombee♀, lv. 25
  4. Mordanta the Alolan Raticate♀, lv. 21
  5. Mono the Alolan Persian♂, lv. 20
  6. Eljxetajxo the Alolan Grimer♂ lv. 19
I'm especially proud of my Dusk form Lycanroc, which I bred from a rockruff I was gifted via the generous Pokemon giveaway subreddit. I've wanted a dusk form Lycanroc for months and now I finally have her ^^ I'm also probably going to switch out Grimer for something else soon, since I just realised he doesn't evolve til level 37 O.O

My other three playthrus (Virtual Crystal, Virtual Blue and Pokemon Y) are on hold til I finish Ultra Moon.

My playthrough of Black 2 is advancing nicely. I've reached Mistralton City and cleared everything between it and Twist Mountain, so now I just need to defeat Skyla and I'll be on my way to Lentimas Town. My current team is:
  • Samurott
  • Lucario
  • Magnezone
  • Growlithe
  • Crobat
  • Zoroark
Zoroark is there just to fill up a spot until I get Virizion, but I'm still keeping it in equal strength to the rest of my team, since I consider this a "preview" of me using a Zoroark in Ultra Moon, and I honestly like the Pokémon. And while I do have a Fire Stone to evolve Growlithe, first I'll be waiting for it to learn Flare Blitz, which is gonna take a while, but it'll be worth it.

My Pokémon Black 2 re-playthrough has advanced me to Opelucid City, where I am ready to take on Drayden. My current team is:
  • Samurott (Level 45)
  • Lucario (Level 45)
  • Magnezone (Level 45)
  • Arcanine (Level 45)
  • Crobat (Level 45)
  • Virizion (Level 45)
Yes! My team is finally complete! I can't wait to see how well Virizion is going to perform...

Let's see ... I'm currently in Vermillion City training up for Lt.Surge's gym. I actually am having some fun here, at least when I'm not concerned about overleveling my team (which happens basically all the time). Seriously, all the local trainers are "only" Lv.18 or so -- but then those Gym trainers are all Lv.22-ish, so Surge must definitely be in the 25 range.

It's not that I "like the grind", so much as I do enjoy that sense of deliberately taking time out to prepare for an imminent challenge. Close calls make the best battles.

Anyway, we have caught a trio of wild Kanto starters, plus the trio of starters given away by NPCs. In the former case, it took over an hour to spot a wild Squirtle (and then, after about five balls, it runs away) before realizing this is what Lure items are for (after which it only took five minutes to bag that Squirtle). In the latter's case, I soft-reset for a female Pokemon, meaning I now have the trio in each gender (for what little that's worth in Kanto).

Anyone know why they chose to block off Diglett's tunnel back to Pewter until you beat Surge? At least the NPC is up front about it ("why don't you go challenge the Gym?"), but it does seem just a little needless.

Anyone know why they chose to block off Diglett's tunnel back to Pewter until you beat Surge? At least the NPC is up front about it ("why don't you go challenge the Gym?"), but it does seem just a little needless.
It's needless, but I think it's so you don't go to Lavender Town before challenging the gym. Which is odd, because the remaining gyms can be challenged in any order, and the Thunder Badge doesn't even unlock anything other than Thunderbolt (maybe that is reason enough?).

It's needless, but I think it's so you don't go to Lavender Town before challenging the gym. Which is odd, because the remaining gyms can be challenged in any order, and the Thunder Badge doesn't even unlock anything other than Thunderbolt (maybe that is reason enough?).
Are you thinking about Rock Tunnel? I mean Diglett's Tunnel (or is it Cave?) that connects Vermillion with Pewter.

Anyway, I actually like what they did with the infamous Vermillion Gym puzzle. The solution feels admittedly very easy, but it's definitely a step up from what you had to do in the original gym.

Reviving this thread now!

I'm currently going through my Black 2 post-game. I've already cleared every post-game area and am focusing on improving my Join Avenue, where every one of my shops is currently at rank 8 or 9.

I recently also got done catching all the Sinnoh Legendaries, with a high point being catching Mesprit in a Great Ball.

I haven't played in a while, but I wanted to log my previous battle with Morty in Pokemon Crystal.

I took down his entire team with a Noctowl. I taught it Nightmare and along with Hypnosis, his ghosts went down easy. Because Noctowl is a normal type, there wasn't much his ghosts could do. His Gengar was the pokemon on his team I have to watch out for.

Just starting my 3rd run of AS, going for a mono-fighting type team :) 2nd mono-type Ive ever done, and first time I'll have more than one fighting type too, not looking forward to the 6th and 7th gyms.... and of course the E4 and Phoebe... Im already regretting my choice :LOL: This is going to be fun!

Starting a new run of Sun to prepare for Gen 8...

Just arrived in Hau'oli City and my cute team of critters is already serving the house down

- Lv. 12
- Lv. 9
- Lv. 9

I'm also trying to fill up the Alola Dex as I go along this time, and boy did I have fun spending 30 hours on Route 1 trying to catch the 10 million Pokemon available there.

side note: I really loved the Caterpie line as a kid but it's obvious that the other, newer bugs simply outclass it :/

Replaying this game also makes me really excited for what they can achieve with Galar in Gen 8, cuz the culture and lore of Alola is really well done, especially in terms of how they incorporated the Pokedex entries into expanding that. Also, Lillie and Hau are adorable characters and I love them forever

Because I have the attention span of an ecstasy-infused chihuahua, I also restarted Platinum :D currently going to Pastoria City, with
  • Prinplup (Steelwave) lvl 31
  • Clefairy (Pipsqueak) lvl 31
  • Ambipom (Oozaru) lvl 32
  • Scyther (Swordart) lvl 28

Thinking of getting Yanma in the Great Marsh and maybe Swablu on northern Route 210 later on. Not sure if I want to evolve Scyther into Scizor yet.. hmm.. decision time later :D I might also think about Porygon2 or Porygon-Z, not quite sure... but who to drop then...hmm probably clzfairy to be fair :D

I love Platinum, it is SUCH a great game :D

I started up a new playthrough of Diamond last night. I haven't played gen 4 in a long time and was feeling nostalgic for sinnoh. I started with chimchar, and I think the rest of my team's gonna be gyarados, roserade, honchkrow, and azelf (plus an HM slave I guess).

My replay of Pokémon Black 2 is currently going through its vast, vast post-game. I've completed all the Pokéstar Studios movies (even unlocking the couple Easter eggs found in them available with only party Pokémon), done all the trades with Yancy (gonna do a few more, though, to get another Ralts), gotten all of my Join Avenue shops to Rank 10, and pretty much finished training my team for the Pokémon League rematches (the remaining levels will come from Rare Candies). Besides that last one, my to-do list also includes:

• Clearing the League rematches in Challenge Mode.
  • Battling N in seasonal matches.
  • Taking part in Musicals and collecting Props.
  • Unlocking the Champions Tournament at the PWT (not necessarily defeating it).
  • Defeating the Subway Bosses at least once at the Battle Subway.
  • Clearing the Black Tower and defeating Benga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom