• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Offiicial Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was annoyed when it seemed only Corrin was going to be added since he's from an unreleased game, ANOTHER SWORD FIGHTER and ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER.
I was then annoyed at Knuckles being a creepyass mii fighter cop-outcostume.

But I'm not overly bothered with Corrin's addition since Bayonetta was added.
Though weirdly enough people are pissed off at Europe for her being the top voted character, SHE WAS STILL IN THE TOP 5 THE USA STOP SHITTING ON EUROPE.

I also still find it weird how people are getting mad at the fact that there is no Melee HD.

Personally, I don't mind Corrin that much. Sure, they're yet another sword fighter, but at least the dragon attacks give them a bit of an identity in my opinion.

As for Bayonetta, having the Kid Icarus characters mixed into her trailer is kinda predictable, with all the angel-hunting she does. But the trailer's still nice, and Bayonetta is an interesting addition.

I'm super excited to see Bayonetta coming to Smash. The trailer gave me all kinds of feels actually since I'm a dork for Bayonetta overall the games, the music, the story, etc.

As for Corrin, I'm not bothered either way cause I'm biased towards Bayonetta. :p

And then there's the news that Cloud's release date is . . . NOW. Definitely going to pick him up at some point.

I wasn't sure about Corrin at first (not a FE fan) but then I saw he's got dragon transformation powers, so now I'm interested.

Bayonetta is certainly a surprise, a lot of people thought she wouldn't make it because of her series's rating level. But apparently she's the overall poll winner?

I... have had many questions about the whole direct.

But apparently she's the overall poll winner?

Here's a good one. How is Bayonetta the overall winner, anyway? How did they define "winner"? Bayonetta didn't seem nearly as popular as choices like Isaac or K. Rool. And if it was a suggestion box, why did they choose Bayonetta, of all characters? Maybe they wanted a character from an M-rated game and couldn't/were unwilling to use Snake? It'll be... interesting, to say the least.

Also, Corrin. Why are we getting another FE sword user? That's 6 characters from the franchise (more than Zelda and as much as Pokémon, to put that into perspective), and five predominant sword users. I mean, I am a fan of the FE series and all, but you should give other Nintendo series a chance, especially ones that don't have a character in Smash (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc.).

I was a little disappointed, anyway. Especially since this is apparently the final direct, and not only was I expecting a lot more characters (5 at least) to come with the ballot, but I'm also not very impressed by the ones we did get. But that's only my opinion.

From what I know via Gamenesia, Bayonetta placed first in the European polls and was among the top 5 in the US polls. So she wasn't exactly a random pick out of the blue. By these facts, it's distinctly possible she could have been the overall winner of the popular vote.

As for Corrin, I agree with you, Bandido. I am a fan of the Fire Emblem series but I would have much rather preferred K. Rool, Issac, Banjo/Kazooie, or even Shovel Knight. And based on the fact that Shovel Knight is getting an amiibo, I'm quite surprised that he is not an addition.

Regardless I am quite pleased with the amount of DLC Sakurai has given us for this game, and the countless hours that he spent working on it will not be in vain.

Smash 4 DLC was such a trainwreck.

There was so much potential for great DLC, but instead we got boring Fire Emblem characters and... more anime characters.

Shame.

The Direct was quite nice IMO. Is it just me or did it seem like it was a farewell from Sakurai? I doubt Nintendo would let Smash die out just like that if he does leave it.

I'll probably be picking up Cloud and his stage on Christmas. Looking forward to Corrin and Bayonetta. I noticed they all have a special alt, that's nice.

Well, there wasn't much I got too excited about here, sadly. Corrin looks to have an interesting playstyle - given all the dragon powers, I fail to see how he's 'just another swordfighter' any more than Robin was really - but I still just can't stand him on the basis that he's Corrin. Sure, as a huge FE fan, I should be happy to see more FE characters get in, but... Corrin. I just don't think player avatars belong in FE at all, I feel it ruins what could have been good characters otherwise because they need to be bland to appeal to as many players as possible - and that's not even getting started on the games' habit of heaping undeserved praise on you. Hell, in any game with decent story focus, I think player avatars are a bad move - just my opinion, but it did rather ruin what would otherwise have been potentially an exciting announcement for me. And yeah, I do think there are other franchises that need more attention right now, though I do understand them advertising an upcoming game (even if they still won't even announce when it'll be released, in Europe at least). Also, isn't Corrin's sword technically a spoiler? I don't know, since Fates isn't even localised yet, the fact it has this version could be quite trivial, but it looks potentially plot-important.

I did very much like that they're adding Azura's song to the FE stages, though - that was probably the most exciting moment of the Direct for me. It'll be weird hearing it in English though, I know the Japanese version much better even though I don't understand basically all of the lyrics. Actually, Azura would probably have been a better character to add than Corrin, since then no-one could say she's 'just a swordfighter', she doesn't even use a sword ever as far as I know, and she might have an interesting playstyle too what with being a dancer. Plus she's probably more iconic to the game anyway.

Otherwise, I didn't really care about either of the new characters. I appreciate that Cloud is great for FF fans, and Bayonetta obviously was a popular vote on the ballot so she's okay. They both look to have interesting playstyles, and I can appreciate a lot of people are more enthusiastic for this than me, but, yeah, neither are characters I really care about.

One more complaint - why did someone see fit to title the Nintendo Direct, spoiling which characters were going to be announced? I couldn't watch it live due to timezone differences, so apparently this was my punishment. And this was on the Nintendo UK site, where it shouldn't be unusual for people to have not stayed up really late to watch it.

I just don't think player avatars belong in FE at all, I feel it ruins what could have been good characters otherwise because they need to be bland to appeal to as many players as possible...
That's a curse of all player-avatar characters in general; the game can't give them a predefined personality profile if it's supposed to be up to the player to decide that through their actions.

By these facts, it's distinctly possible she could have been the overall winner of the popular vote.
It's more likely she wasn't the winner of the raw popular vote, just the winner of the ones they could negotiate for and develop (notice how an asterisk that only appeared when they called her the overall winner.)

Smash 4 DLC was such a trainwreck.
There was so much potential for great DLC, but instead we got boring Fire Emblem characters and... more anime characters.

All three of the ones on my personal wishlist didn't get added either, but hey, big deal. At least one is already in MVC3 and another is appearing in Pokken.

Last edited:
The new additions are nice and I am certainly not complaining about cool characters like Bayonetta making it into the roster, but man, I would have loved to have more cartoony characters join the mix. It seems like every DLC character since Mewtwo and Lucas has been a character from a serious series. Where's the wacky fun in any of this? It would have been cool to have the Inkling kids from Splatoon in this game.

Oh well. That's just my minor nitpick. I think I'll enjoy these characters just the same.

If anyone wants my friend code for 3ds it's 4828-5997-0371. just pm me or something if you wanna play

When is Corrin and Bayonetta coming to the eShop? The Livestream (well, I've only heard, I've not seen it since I don't care for watching other people play) said they would be released today. And so far, nothing's been added there.

Not sure, but I heard they were out tomorrow. Even if they are sooner than that, it's probably worth waiting to avoid the main eShop traffic.

Finally got around to getting some DLC fighters. Got Lucas, then Cloud. I had enough funds for one more, so I wanted to get either Corrin or Bayonetta. As I can't decide which one to get first, I let my Tomodachi Life Miis decide via Judgement Bay.

Corrin by 89%, so I got 'em. I'll get Bayo later.

Also got the Chocobo hat because why not? :p

I got Corrin and Bayonetta DLCs recently. Best moment was while I was doing Classic mode with him, in a 4-way brawl I grab an Assist Trophy and it's Tingle. Suddenly everyone has Superspicy Curry Breath....

Counter! Counter! Counter! Leave it to a water dragon to put out all those fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom