• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The ORAS Artwork Discussion Thread

Quetsol Melt

Destined for Greatness
Reaction score
I'm really hoping that we do, not just for the Pokémon but the Gym Leaders, Elite Four members and many other things like the Hoenn Map (which is probably very likely). I know that this is maybe a bit pointless but I'm scared that we won't (at least for the Pokémon) because of this...

corocoro6141.jpg

As you can see the CoroCoro page that leaked seems to have the 2002 artwork and not any new artwork for Groudon and Kyogre. Of course they could just probably be waiting until the next month or two to reveal such things.

Please feel free to give your thoughts.

Re: Do you guys think we'll get new Ken Sugimori art for the 135 Hoenn Pokémon and et

I also hope that we do, cuz IIRC, we get new art for Gen II Pokemon when HGSS came out, and also for Gen I Pokemon when FRLG came out.

Also, assuming that we'll be seeing new areas (i.e. the south eastern islands), as well as some areas changed, it would make sense for us to get a new Hoenn map.

I think we'll definitely get new character art for May/Brendan, but I'm not sure about the Gym leaders and E4... Maybe just a few of the more important ones, like Steven and Wallace, but the rest, unless some Gyms are changed, I don't see the point in new art for them....

As you pointer out, it IS strange that they used the old artwork in CoroCoro, but that's probably cuz they want to save the new artwork for later, or it hasn't been done yet... OR, maybe there's only the new artwork for Groudon and Kyogre in their new form/mega evo/whatever, so that might be why...

Re: Do you guys think we'll get new Ken Sugimori art for the 135 Hoenn Pokémon and et

I also hope that we do, cuz IIRC, we get new art for Gen II Pokemon when HGSS came out, and also for Gen I Pokemon when FRLG came out.

Also, assuming that we'll be seeing new areas (i.e. the south eastern islands), as well as some areas changed, it would make sense for us to get a new Hoenn map.

I think we'll definitely get new character art for May/Brendan, but I'm not sure about the Gym leaders and E4... Maybe just a few of the more important ones, like Steven and Wallace, but the rest, unless some Gyms are changed, I don't see the point in new art for them....

As you pointer out, it IS strange that they used the old artwork in CoroCoro, but that's probably cuz they want to save the new artwork for later, or it hasn't been done yet... OR, maybe there's only the new artwork for Groudon and Kyogre in their new form/mega evo/whatever, so that might be why...

Yup they did. I don't see why they couldn't give new artwork to the Pokémon.

Yeah I think new artwork for the Hoenn map is a given.

New artwork for the protagonists is a must! I think it'd be weird if the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members didn't get new art, especially because they did them for the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members in FRLG and HGSS.

If any Gym Leaders get a redesign like in HGSS, then they'll definitely get new artwork. Even if they aren't updated, I think there's a good chance most of the human characters will get an update.

It'd be disappointing not to get new art for the pokes, but I suppose the art style used for RSE is not as different from the current art as the one used in GSC.

I think it'd be weird if the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members didn't get new art, especially because they did them for the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members in FRLG and HGSS.

Oh, I actually didn't know that.
In that case, yeah, it does make sense to give the hoenn gym leaders/E4 new art work as well.

It'd be disappointing not to get new art for the pokes, but I suppose the art style used for RSE is not as different from the current art as the one used in GSC.

That's true, since the artwork used in the first two gens was much different than the ones used in Gen III onwards... Which means it IS possible that we won't be getting new art for the Pokes from ORAS.... Sadly...

I am pretty sure all major characters + Hoenn Pokémon will get new Sugimori artworks. He did that for both FRLG and HGSS, not sure why ORAS would be the exception.

I am pretty sure all major characters + Hoenn Pokémon will get new Sugimori artworks. He did that for both FRLG and HGSS, not sure why ORAS would be the exception.

As pointed out above by Winterdaze, it's possible that the reason Gen I/II Pokemon got new artwork is because their artwork looked much different than the newer ones from Gen III onward. So that might be a reason there might NOT be new artwork for gen III Pokemon, but I still hope there will be.

As pointed out above by Winterdaze, it's possible that the reason Gen I/II Pokemon got new artwork is because their artwork looked much different than the newer ones from Gen III onward. So that might be a reason there might NOT be new artwork for gen III Pokemon, but I still hope there will be.
But the art style changed in Gen V as well (even thought the change wasn't as drastic as the Gen II to Gen III one), so we can be hopeful that the Hoenn characters are getting redesigns, even if we follow Winterdaze's reasoning (which does make sense).

I hope so, it'd be a disappointment otherwise since, IMO, the colors have been a lot more vibrant in these latest Gens.

Perhaps the reason the older art is being used is because they don't want to release newer art until closer to the release date.

I'm surprised that at the very least, Groudon and Kyogre haven't received new artwork yet. Considering how Sugimori tends to draw new starter artwork for third versions, I imagine that Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip will receive new artwork, at the very least.

Random question: do you guys think that the Hoenn mega evos from XY will receive new artwork?
I mean, it's highly unlikely, since it's only been a year, but B2W2 starters received new artwork just two years after BW, so...

One more thing that makes me believe Sugimori will draw new artworks for the character: The characters' artworks are now used in the "versus" screens and honestly, the old artworks would totally crash with the visual style of the new games. They aren't as colorful, vivid and "anime-ish" as the Generation V and VI artworks.

Just compare Roxanne and Valerie's artworks (two gym leaders with not so similar color schemes):

There is a clear difference in the art styles.

Of course, Game Freak could just apply a few filters in the old artworks and make they look more colorful, but... I will hope for the best. lol

Am I the only one who misses Sugimori's old artstyle?

One more thing that makes me believe Sugimori will draw new artworks for the character: The characters' artworks are now used in the "versus" screens and honestly, the old artworks would totally crash with the visual style of the new games. They aren't as colorful, vivid and "anime-ish" as the Generation V and VI artworks.

Just compare Roxanne and Valerie's artworks (two gym leaders with not so similar color schemes):

There is a clear difference in the art styles.

Of course, Game Freak could just apply a few filters in the old artworks and make they look more colorful, but... I will hope for the best. lol

Oh my gosh I actually had forgotten about that!

No. I loved the old artwork for the characters.

No, you're not the only one. I still prefer the older Gen. II art to the new kind. I liked the whites and contrast that were once used to color in those Pokemon.
Anyways, it's a given that the starters and the legends will get new art. I'd be very, very shocked if it didn't happen.

Isn't it a given whenever GF does a revamp of the older generation games? There is no need to doubt.

Even if I wanted it, I was a bit skeptical that all the Generation III Pokemon would receive an evolution at first considering that they're not TOO different from Sugimori's current style. And with Groudon and Kyogre featuring their old artwork, I'm kind of thinking that we won't have new Sugimori art for every single Gen III Pokemon, at least. I mean even if they had new mega evolutions, why wouldn't Sugimori draw new artwork of regular Kyogre and Groudon? I do think that the Starter Pokemon will get new artwork though, if only because they always seem to get new artwork for third versions/sequels/remakes.

Just compare this:

306Aggron.png and 306Aggron-Mega.png

and that isn't as drastic as

207.png and 472Gliscor.png

So while I'd wish for re-Sugimori of every Hoenn Pokemon, I don't think we'll be getting it. The Gym Leaders, Elite, and other important guys are definitely getting new artwork though. If only because they're probably all going to be redesigned. And like @The Guardian Sylveon said, the human designs are really different now, especially the eyes.

I wonder if the drasticity of the change has anything to do with you comparing a full-on evo with a mega evo. -_-

Don't forget that it's not just Sugimori drawing the art anymore. Most of the BW character art was by Yusuke Ohmura, for example.

They had no problem revealing updated artwork for several Generation II Pokémon upon HGSS' announcement. The fact that Groudon and Kyogre are being showcased with their old artwork says a lot.

Last edited:

I'd love it if we did, but if not, it's not a big ideal since they aren't that different. I do believe we'll get new trainer art though. The RS art style felt like a bridge between Gen II and Gen IV, with the new coloring style, but characteristics of the old style (thick legs, small eyes, etc). It'd be weird seeing the old portraits pop up before a battle.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom