• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Origo Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I coughed loudly as I resurfaced, as I was unable to keep water from seeping into my mouth through my nose while I was unconscious. My eyelids were too heavy to open fully, but I made every effort to open them at least a small amount to see what the guard was doing. I was astonished to see the boy holding me in his arms, and was shocked to see that he was still supporting me. I smiled at him. He must've been enervated after swimming here to save me. Now I knew that he would be unable to swim me back to the boat. I didn't know if I could make back single-handed. My entire body ached from my most recent interaction with the guards.

I slowly wrapped my arms the boy's neck and leaned in to kiss him in gratitude for rescuing me. I began to weep silently, because he was back. The only person that had ever cared about me was back. The only person that I cared about was back. I finally leaned out of the kiss, and weakly wiped tears from my eyes, smiling at him. I hoped that his face wasn't wet from my crying.

I gradually let myself out of his arms, falling down into the water. The slightest movement caused catastrophic pain, but I knew it was less than what the boy had experienced in order to save me.

Kainu's cheeks flushed a bright, warm red as the girl kissed him. He slowly tightened his grip around her and found himself kissing her back, as though it were natural, subconscious. As though they'd done it a million times before. As he held her he could actually feel the aches and pains in his muscles fade away. He hated to see her cry, but her frail smile gave him some solace while he wiped her tears away gently with his thumb.

He could see her nearly unbearable pain as she tried to swim on her own, which made him reflexively pull her back into his arms. With the last bit of strength left in him, he tried to swim back to the boat with her in one arm, gritting his teeth at the renewed pain. He faked a smile and looked at her briefly as he swam, trying to distract her.

"All this and I still don't even know your name," he said.

I blushed when he pulled me back into his arms, giving him a weak affectionate hug. When he began to swim us towards the boat, I was tempted to help him, but I was too weak. I would've done him a diservice to do such a thing. I felt bad that I was taking advantage of him.

"Salacia," I uttered groggily. "What's your's?"

When we arrived at the boat, I crawled onto the boat, refusing any help from the boy. I slowly made my way to the corner where I had sat before, and lied down under the overhang, waiting for the boy to accompany me. I knew that the boy was in pain, and had been for quite some time. It was apparent to me every time he paddled through the water. It was because of me, and I knew that too. Instead of showing that I was even more emotionally fragile and crying because of that, I decided to make it my responsibility to see that he was cared for and comfortable. It was the only feasible way that I could think of to make it up to him.

Last edited:
"The name's Kainu," he answered, trying to keep his fake smile despite the intense pain he was feeling.

After climbing weakly onto the boat, rather than taking his place next to Salacia, despite how much he wanted to, Kainu stood on the deck of the boat and looked out into the distance. This had proven that the government was looking for them, and that they wouldn't be safe as long as they were anywhere near this god-forsaken ocean. Their only chance for survival would be to run, even if one could call that survival.

But even this was a slim chance. They wouldn't be able to swim much longer before collapsing in exhaustion, and they had no idea whether or not if there was any safe land anywhere near them. Perhaps it would be best just to spend one last moment of their existence together before letting death release them from the cold, bitter lives that they've lived so far. That would at least be some victory. The idea made him cringe slightly, but he wouldn't even allow himself to think about what it would be like to go back to the facility. That was a fate much worse than death.

I smiled back to him, even though I was sensing that his smile was feigned. After some time waiting for Kainu to lie down next to me, I impelled my eyelids to open even the slightest and painfully stood up, walking over to Kainu and wrapping my arms around his waist, burying my face into his back. I struggled to stay standing. It was agonizing to move any part of my body, but I perservered through what I thought to be my personal hell, besides Kainu, of course. Kainu had been the Best thing that had ever happened to me. After spending years in solitude with the occasional abusive visit from a nurse, doctor, or guard, I was rewarded with Kainu, and all of the love, comfort, and protection that he was.

I watched the sunset gracefully fade away into the dark, dreary night. I yawned quietly, muffled by Kainu's back.

Moving my face out from between Kainu's shoulder blades was almost unbearable, but I managed.

"I have a plan...but we need to get some rest first," I said, tempting him with the thought of sleep. I knew he wanted and needed rest, but he was just too stubborn to do it.

Kainu shivered slightly while feeling Salacia's arms wrap around him. He smiled faintly and slid a hand back to bury it into her hair, trying to keep her close to him as he breathed out deeply. With each rise and fall of her chest he could feel himself grow more and more peaceful, like each gentle breath she took counted for the both of them. He gritted his teeth and bit back a yawn, trying his hardest not to grow weary, even in the warmth of her embrace. Finally, listening to her mention rest, he sighed in relief and gave in, stretching his sore arms before turning around to pull her to him again, smirking slightly while fighting back a yawn.

"I mean, I could stay up and keep watch if you want, but if you really want to rest, I can keep you warm..."

Last edited:
I smiled, resting my head on Kainu's chest, indulging in his warmth. It felt as if it had been years since he had held me. Resting my head relieved most of my pain. Spending time around Kainu had a tendency to make me feel more at ease, and caused the pain to fade from my mind's focus.

"I'll take a small rest, and then you can sleep while I carry out my plan," I said, smiling.

I dragged him under the overhang and lied down, curling up into a small ball. The pain from moving was reduced to a mere distraction from thinking about Kainu. I hoped he didn't think too little of me, allowing me to sleep safely and comfortably in arms at his expense. He was so selfless, but at times he was too selfless, if there was such a thing. He taxed his body and mind too much while caring for me. I reminded myself that I needed to do the same for him more, and shouldn't allow him to take care of me too often.

By now, all of Kainu's soreness and pain had evaporated, though his fatigue was much more intense. He couldn't help but yet a yawn escape as he smiled groggily.

"Fine," he mumbled, "but don't let me sleep in, alright? Wake me up when you do..." Even in his exhaustion, he managed a smirk. "I don't want to miss anything."

Kainu stretched and wrapped his arms around Salacia again, pulling her as close to him as possible while burying his face into her hair, breathing gently against it as he slowly drifted off into sleep, once again losing himself to the comfort that she brought him, even though it was a comfort that he knew wouldn't last.

After going over what I was to do when I woke up, I turned around to see Kainu, already fast asleep. His breath flew through my hair. I smiled and kissed him on the forehead. I turned back around, put my arms on his, holding his hands, and drifted off into a deep slumber.

I dreamt of the happiest reality that my imagination could conjure. A gentle breeze drifted through my hair. Sunlight dappled my swaying bangs. I stood in a large meadow outside a small wooden cabin. Inside sat Kainu, sitting next to a small wood stove, allowing scarlet flames to sprout from his outstretched hand to lick at the timber inside. I grinned, walking inside. Holding each other we watched the sun set through a window above a small sink.

This was my ultimate fantasy. A fantasy where my afflictions existed, but where their consequences didn't. A fantasy where Kainu AND I could spend our entire lives in solitude.

Waking from this wonderful dream was terrible, as if an unknown force was ripping me away from all hope. I unfolded Kainu's arms as I got up, looking around. Rain was pouring from every direction, except under the overhang, which I was thankful for. I didn't want Kainu waking up and loosing sleep. He needed it.

I decided to dishonor Kainu's wish and not wake up him up. I hated the thought of facing the rain alone, but I reminded myself how much Kainu need this sleep.

I stepped out from under the overhang, using my abilities to pull water towards the boat, causing it to lurch forward and begin to move in a very fluent motion. After two full, comfortable nights in Kainu's arms my abilities were at their peak. My extreme pains seemed to have disappeared as well. I sat on the front of the boat, moving my hands forward and backward with my eyes shutting out the world around me. I refused to think about the rain, and concentrated on moving the boat forward, and moving further and further away from the facility.

Last edited:
Rather than dream, Kainu's mind was lost in intangible nothingness. His fatigue and exhaustion was so great that he couldn't even think as his body recovered. His mind was completely lost, perhaps trying to escape, and for a few hours it was as though he never even existed. Fate had other plans, though, and the sound of the harsh rain slowly pulled him back into reality.

Kainu slowly slid his arms around tighter but found that he was only holding a cold emptiness. The gentle smell of Salacia's hair had left his nose, and once again he was cold. Immediately, he thought the worse. He forced his eyes open and gazed out into the world, expecting to see Salacia's outstretched hand beckon to him as she was once again ripped from his arms. But he could see barely anything through the intense storm that surrounded the boat. What he did see, however, was much more shocking to him.

There stood Salacia, lost in her trance that linked her with the sea around them. She was even more beautiful than he remembered. The way her body swayed as she commanded the ocean. The way her hair whipped around in the harsh wind. The serenity in her face. It just about took everything in him not to grab her and pull her into his arms again. Instead, he propped himself up under the overhang and watched contently, as though he was watching an artist at work. He knew full well that any attempt at helping her would only slow her down. That was apparent from her refusal to wake him up. Instead, he smiled to himself as he marveled at her abilities and her beauty, while his body still recovered from the pain of the previous night. Still, he couldn't deny how cold he was, physically and emotionally, all because Salacia wasn't safely in his arms. It was then that he knew that he didn't care about anything else except her, whether he could afford to feel like that or not.

I stopped my resistive actions. My arms were growing weak, and I knew I needed to take a break. I looked back to check on Kainu and flinched when I saw him staring at me. I smiled at him, running over to him. I almost hugged him before I thought about how I would drench him with the rain my clothes had collected for the past few hours. Instead I massaged his arms, studying him. I noticed that he wasn't as upbeat as he usually was. He looked distant. I wondered why.

My smile faded as my face began to express more worry. "What's wrong?" I said, hugging tightly despite my damp attire.

Kainu sat up more and grinned slightly, sliding his arms around her firmly to pull her closer to him, not caring that he was immediately soaked. In truth, the water and cold were starting to take a harsh tole on him. As a creature of fire, the exposure to the rain and sea was beginning to make him very weak and more susceptible to pain. Still, he didn't want her to know that, and he sure as hell wasn't going to let that keep him from holding her. He'd make sure to keep her close even if it meant the death of him.

He spoke weakly, though it was clear he was trying to replicate his normal bravado.

"With me..?" He smirked and squeezing her against him indicatively. "Now that I've got you back... Absolutely nothing." He relented a bit and let his arms slide off of her, stretching slightly and winking playfully.

"But don't let me stop you from doing your thing..." He laughed slightly and shrugged a bit.

"I'd offer to help, but I'm more like a damp match right now... Not very useful..." He winked again.

"But when you're all ready to warm up for a bit, I'll be right here..."

I smiled, laughing quietly to myself. This was a perfect example of one of the reasons that I loved Kainu. He could always find the good in any situation, and make everyone around him more happy because of it. I hugged him tighter, nuzzling his chin with the top of my head. My normally straight blonde hair was a terrible mass of golden frizz. I was immediately embarrassed and repeatedly combed my fingers through my hair, smiling and blushing intensely. Hopefully he hadn't noticed, but I doubted that.

"We've been moving for hours," I replied. "I've been cold for a while."

Holding him closer I noticed that he wasn't emitting the same amount of heat as he did normally. I wondered if it was the fact that I had just completely drenched him in cold water.

Last edited:
Kainu smiled as he watched Salacia try desperately to straighten her now-messy hair, smirking a bit before catching her hands, squeezing them gently.

"Hey," he started, bringing her hands down to rest them on her lap, still looking at her, "I like that look on you... You look like some kind of..." He laughed to himself and smiled more. "... Sea goddess or something...

He let himself yawn before sliding his arms around her again, pulling her closer to him and nuzzling her forehead gently. "But you should rest for a bit..."

He could feel that, for once, she was warmer than he was. He was used to be able to feel his skin warming hers, but now, he was certain that he was slowly fading away.

I smiled and laughed at Kainu's comment. I had never thought of myself like that. I still refused for myself to look this terrible in front of him, and continued to straighten my hair.

I closed my eyes while I enjoyed the relief of being with Kainu, but I was still bothered by Kainu's temperature. Worried, I held my hand to his forehead. I felt to no heat. In fact, it was colder than the air around us. Putting a hand on his chest I wrung the water from both of our clothes using my abilities. I sat still, concentrating on moving the boat forward while being away from the water. It was easier, and I could take care of Kainu, but it used much more energy than I had wanted it to.

Last edited:
Kainu, despite his struggle to resist, coughed violently as the boat rocked along the waves. He was growing colder by the second, and he couldn't help but cross his arms at his chest, trying to warm himself. He made no headway and forced a smile, as though trying to play it off as nothing happened. He stretched lazily and lied back a bit more, trying to relax.

"I think... I'm just gonna rest my eyes for a bit," he started, winking slightly at Salacia before closing his eyes, breathing in and out deeply.

I was terrified when Kainu began to cough, instinctually hugging him to keep him warm. I fought back tears, hoping that he was alright.

It took what felt like hours for the steady motion of the boat to be halted by the sandy shore. I sighed, finally releasing my tight hold on Kainu before brushing tears from my cheeks. New sounds were apparent to me instantly. The sounds of a bustling city hidden from the oceanfront. We had finally escaped. This was our opportunity to start a new life. A life of safety, happiness, and love. The government wouldn't be able to find us in such a highly populated area without being noticed. It was absolutely perfect.

I smiled weakly, resting my head on Kainu's chest. "We made it..." I was absolutely exhausted. I didn't know if I could stand up.

Kainu could hear the muffled sounds of Salacia's sobbing, but his mind was so weary that he couldn't piece together what exactly was happening. To him they were just noise, equally foreign as everything else around him. The only thing he could recognize was the creeping cold that was slowly taking hold of him.

And yet, he could feel something pierce through the cold. Slowly, but surely, it was creeping away, melting away to reveal a beaten, but still very much alive, creature. He could feel the warmth of the sand below them and the sun above. He took a deep breath and let it consume him. He felt as though he'd come back from the dead. But it wasn't until he heard Salacia's soft voice that he snapped back into reality. He smiled and slid his arm around her, holding her close to him as he smiled, kissing the top of her head gently.

"Yeah..." he mumbled assuringly, still smiling faintly. "We did..."

Feeling his strength slowly begin to pour back into him, Kainu scooped up Salacia and stepped off of the boat. He took a deep breath and made his way toward the bustling sounds of the city, keeping her close.

I smirked and blushed when Kainu pulled me into his arms and carried me out of the boat. I didn't want to appear weak in front of him, however. I didn't want to appear weak in front of anyone. But I couldn't stop myself from allowing Kainu to rest. I concealed my face in his left arm, ignoring the outside world. I wanted and desperately needed rest, but I felt a terrible sensation on my back, as if thousands of pairs of eyes were fixated on us. They might as well be. We were a teenage couple dressed in somewhat matching jumpsuits walking into a populous city. And to add to that, I looked absolutely terrible. I had noticed my appearance in the reflection of the water when Kainu had jumped over the edge of the boat. My hair was, again, was completely frizz, sitting atop my shoulders and flying in every direction. Bags had appeared under my eyes. I was still completely pale, despite being exposed to sun for the most of the last few days. I thought about how Kainu could deal with all of that, chuckling to myself.

I couldn't take it, and forced myself to escape Kainu's arms, rolling out of them and almost falling flat on my face, before catching myself at the last second. I smiled at him, holding his hand with my right hand while I used the other to comb my hair furiously as I had done before. That was the only part of my appearance that I could help right now.

"Thanks for everything, Kainu..." I mumbled, resting my head on his shoulder, tempted to close my eyes.

Kainu didn't mind the extra attention, though he definitely noticed it. Still, the only thing on his mind was getting Salacia to a safe place so she could rest, and in a city as big as this one appeared to be, that shouldn't be too hard to do. He reluctantly let her slip out of his arms to walk on her own, smiling as he wrapped her arm around her to pull her closer to him as they walked, giving her a slight, reassuring squeeze.

"I'd do it all over again if I had to..." Their bare feet still left small puddles of water as they walked the sidewalks, and even though there were millions of eyes on them, Kainu could relax in the feeling that it was only them, walking away from all of the pain and hardships that they'd endured their entire lives, even if it was just a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom