• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Player Characters

Why wouldn't they be Lucas/Dawn's ancestors? It's set in feudal Sinnoh so I just assumed that was the case.
Btw this tweet regarding their designs is an interesting read. There's a lot of Ainu elements, such as their robe and sandals - compare these with these. It's a great design choice imo.

It's not "feudal" Sinnoh. Especially since Ainu had nothing to do with feudal Japan. This is Meiji era Hokkaido.

Glad it’s not just me who finds the male PC’s hat odd. I don’t mind the characters looking similar to Dawn and Lucas but they really should have switched the hat to something more in keeping with the rest.
Flat caps existed during the time. I wonder if they just allowed him to keep it to show like, the western influence on Japanese fashion in the 1800s.

Flat caps existed during the time. I wonder if they just allowed him to keep it to show like, the western influence on Japanese fashion in the 1800s.

given that in that era in general Japan was interested in western technology but very opposed to western culture so I highly doubt it.

They could have taken something like the below as the base but in red and simplified the sides rather than a European style flat cap and it would look much more in keeping with the rest of the costume design. The female character isn’t wearing the bandana is a particularly historically accurate way but it at least makes sense with the rest of the costume.

D8956A18-8617-4B7E-A087-E09A884431B7.jpeg

given that in that era in general Japan was interested in western technology but very opposed to western culture so I highly doubt it.

Is that why the Japanese Emperor wore this during the Meiji era?

Meiji_tenno1.jpg

This was the era when Western fashion became popular across Japan.

fig-1-6-print-from-meiji-era-1897-98.jpg

This was the era when Western fashion became popular across Japan.

the illustration you posted showed exactly what I mean - they might have adopted parts of western fashion but it was done in a very Japanese way- the flat cap that the main character is wearing (along with nothing else westernised) is more or less an exact copy of Lucas’s which is 100% western and not Japanese at all.

If you’ve no problem with it that’s fine but for me it’s immersion breaking as it doesn’t tie with the rest of the costume design and I find that immersion breaking in a game. Obviously I’m going to take the simple solution and play as the female playable character.

the illustration you posted showed exactly what I mean - they might have adopted parts of western fashion but it was done in a very Japanese way- the flat cap that the main character is wearing (along with nothing else westernised) is more or less an exact copy of Lucas’s which is 100% western and not Japanese at all.

The Illustration I posted was just one example, and is in no way a complete picture of how western fashion permeated ordinary Japanese. That's why I also linked a picture of the Emperor, dressed from head to toe in western clothes.

So far I don't see anything wrong or immersion breaking with how the MC are dressed in the game. They fit the Meiji era pretty good in my opinion.

main-image

a0287992_4414589.jpg

I wonder if the player characters will be 14 like Dawn and Lucas or maybe older. I don't see much reason to change the age. But it would be interesting if they were older. Although it doesn't change much or anything.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom