• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon anime officially hits 700 total episodes

Therefore, there is a whole generation of children and/or viewers who have not watched the "entirety" of this anime. The same could very well apply for The Simpsons and other shows that have lasted well beyond a decade. Who was actually around when The Simpsons started to air back in the late 80's, for example?

The storyline changes with each new saga and newer characters are introduced to fill the niches of those characters that were left behind. But are those viewers who have only started at AG, or DP, or especially BW, at a disadvantage, really? Anybody who has played the games of that generation of games should be very well familiar with most of the characters and events in the anime saga that airs concurrently with it.

Even as far as DP went with backtracking into the past, certain characters from Johto like Clair, Whitney, and Morty were only briefly mentioned. These appearances were played down for those who have played the Gold and Silver remakes that were released at around that time and should be familiar with those characters anyway. The only recurring characters from the past who appeared in BW thus far include Ash's mother, Professor Oak (who most people in the forum should be very well familiar with), and Looker (even if the episodes that featured him did not air, Looker was a minor character who appeared at the end of the main game's credits in BW).

The main elements of this series have already been preserved with each saga. Ash goes on a fetch quest to obtain badges, catch pokemon, and win battles against important trainers. The side characters also make contributions with their own pokemon in some way or form. There are just small disparities between each of the sagas, but they should not be too much of an issue since the majority of the characters who appeared in one arc generally do not appear in another story arc.

Last edited:
Its kind of funny, because now kids were born and grew up watching the series way after all of the early seasons. The overall fanbase is now split between 20+ year old adults who grew up with Kanto from 12 years ago, or new 7-10 year old kids who grew up watching the newer seasons first.

There are some kids who watched DP as their first saga, or others who watched AG as their first saga, and others who are watching BW as their first saga.

Now that the anime has gone on for so long, you can arguably say a large chunk of the shows fanbase wasn't around back during the Kanto/Johto days of the anime.

You assume there's a split in the middle? If your not 7-10 your a 20+ adult?

But are those viewers who have only started at AG, or DP, or especially BW, at a disadvantage, really?

I'd say that yes they are... while it is possible to easily understand 99% of what's going on without watching previous series, I think that if you did watch it all - it'll always be nicer for you to see references to the past (no matter how little they might be, even something as tiny as Ash's room in BW's first ep)
So just like with every other show, I'd say that if you truly love it, you should at least try to watch all eps... I know it might be a problem with Pokémon since there's a crazy amount of eps, but I think it's really worth to do it for any true Pokémon anime fan

I watched everything that aired in Hebrew so far and I'm currently doing a rewatch of the whole English version (actually first time I'm watching most of these eps in English)
I watched all DP in both English and Japanese and continue to watch every new English and Japanese ep that airs
Sadly I think there's at least one or two ANA shorts that I didn't watch yet... I should find them one day to truly complete the Japanese version of DP

One thing that you really can't obtain to watch in any way or form is these two 3D short movies that you could only watch if you happened to be in Japan in the right place and the right time... I wonder if there's any chance these would be released in the future like to the 3DS or something
EDIT: and actually, one of these 3D shorts was rumoured to have an English dub, but I think it was never confirmed if that truly happened and if it did, seems like pretty much no one watched it.... (I think I read about it on Dogasu's site)

Its true to an extent, you can just watch Best Wishes and not watch any older saga and for the most part, you don't "feel" that you're missing something until the writers decide to reference the past. You don't even have to have seen Kanto either, even though that saga introduces Ash and TR. BW1 re-introduces Ash and TR to the audience very nicely, anyway.

As for past characters? Misty, Gary, etc. might as well have never happened. Any impact they once had on Ash is no longer relevant, and he's now shaped by Iris and Trip.

At this point the only people who will watch through all 700 eps:

a) Hardcore fans of the anime who will probably continually rewatch the series throughout their life

b) Little kids who get REALLY obsessed with pokemon

c) People who had been watching all along, so while they may not rewatch old eps, they saw them when they once aired.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom