• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

The Pokémon main series Music Appreciation Thread

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
It's rare for me to prefer HGSS remixes to the original music, but here goes:

Both complement each other pretty nicely, completing a circle.

Last edited:

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I am not a fan of Sinnoh music, with a few exceptions (the themes for the two trios, Cyrus and Cynthia).

HGSS Ecruteak is a bit over the top, too. I much the prefer the somewhat sad vibe of the original theme:

The city has a burned tower that is reminiscent of a bad event. It isn't all sunshine and roses. Puzzle Challenge captures this even better:

Last edited:

Aulos

Winds <3
Reaction score
I'll sound like a broken record, I'm sure, because I'm pretty sure I've posted this before. lol

In general, I would say I love a lot of the music from the first three generations and then X/Y. Between Gens IV, V, and VI I only have one favorite (Dragonspiral Tower).

Prior to X/Y, Gen II was actually my favorite. I love pretty much all of the battle themes, both new and old. I thought that Kanto remixes were all great! The battle themes were rockin', while the town and route themes were all softened and lighter than the originals, heightening the nostalgia (you know, back before GF ruined Kanto nostalgia lol).

Probably my favorite theme from G/S/C/HG/SS is Union Cave/Ruins of Alph (Outside), though:

I always was fascinated by the track when I first played through G/S/C way back in the day, but since then I have become acquainted with classical music and nowadays this track gives major Stravinsky vibes. I may just be crazy. But it distinctly makes think of this part of Rite of Spring (starting around 1:47), and I always adored that part when I performed that piece, so...

Otherwise, I've probably posted this a hundred times:

I adore X/Y's Route 4, and I hope we get some Route themes in Sword/Shield in the same vein.

And if we're going down the techno route, X/Y's Power Plant theme just can't be beat:

TheCapsFan

After Laughter
Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of the music from Gen V, specifically Black and White. The Plasma battle theme is probably my favorite song in all the games. Nimbasa City's theme is a banger. And N's Farewell might be the most beautiful solo piano VGM I've ever heard. I also thought that the NPC's with the different instruments who, if you talked to them, added their instrument to the song made for a cute idea, culminating in the legendary "ah ah oh" of Village Bridge. Other notables from BW include Unwavering Heart, Driftveil City, the Ghetsis theme, the intro music, and the Pokemon league music.

Oricorio

There goes Tokyo
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite track from the main series, it just brings back so many memories:

Although not from the main series, this track merits mention. It makes me cry every time. Probably the best piece of video game music ever

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
The best Hoenn themes are these two:

I am not a big fan of the rest. I used to listen to the rival battle theme a lot for whatever reason.

I always was fascinated by the track when I first played through G/S/C way back in the day, but since then I have become acquainted with classical music and nowadays this track gives major Stravinsky vibes. I may just be crazy. But it distinctly makes think of this part of Rite of Spring (starting around 1:47), and I always adored that part when I performed that piece, so...
You aren't crazy. I can see the resemblance and that's very cool.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Aside from Johto's soundtrack which I have always loved (since it's not as high pitched as Gen I), I also like:
  • Deoxys's theme (a theme that should have been in Smash, TBH)
  • The Galactic Grunts' theme
  • Both of Cynthia's themes
  • Wally's theme
  • That one song in BW that plays during sentimental scenes,
  • Hau's battle theme
  • Route 209, which, by the way, kinda sounds like "All the Young Dudes")
  • Lusamine's second battle theme.

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
About Sinnoh's music, I am not a great fan of it in general, but there are some real gems like the Route 201 track I posted, and also the Route 205 one. But even in general, I've definitely warmed up to Sinnoh's music. I definitely like it more than before. Tbh the only OST I dislike is XY, by far. I either like or really like all the other regions' OSTs.

If I had to rank them, it would probably be like this:

Kanto = Johto = Hoenn > Unova > Sinnoh > Alola >>>>> Kalos

This one I like a lot:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-WC9H59uM&list=PL46A49E65817F8577&index=45

Last edited:

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
I think that I am fonder of relatively serene (or alternatively somber) themes, except for some battle themes because obviously those need to be energetic.

I really like the 8-bit version of the HGSS remix of the Route 24/25 theme:

Last edited:

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
I understand.

Personally, I like serene, energetic and happy themes. As long as they're top quality in my book, I like all 3 of them.

Last edited:

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
If you want some intense battle theme against a legendary Pokemon, here's one that you might not have thought came from a DS game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0aDOp3c8Y0&list=PL6akIKaXBeU019F2ZKNaJyqgrrOEZXfBc&index=32&t=0s

And here's a slightly different counterpart.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhtujy_jXc&list=PL6akIKaXBeU019F2ZKNaJyqgrrOEZXfBc&index=5

I like how the two themes alternate on opposite sides of the headphones, really gives the idea that the fusions are more one-sided, I hope both of these themes combine and become remixed to be heard in Smash someday.

Last edited:

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
Kyurem's battle theme is top quality. One of the best legendary battle themes, if not the best.

I also really like this one. It is the music playing in my favourite building in the entire franchise: the Battle Dome.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vUsOC8824