• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokémon main series Music Appreciation Thread

It's rare for me to prefer HGSS remixes to the original music, but here goes:

Both complement each other pretty nicely, completing a circle.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that I am not a fan of Sinnoh music, with a few exceptions (the themes for the two trios, Cyrus and Cynthia).

HGSS Ecruteak is a bit over the top, too. I much the prefer the somewhat sad vibe of the original theme:

The city has a burned tower that is reminiscent of a bad event. It isn't all sunshine and roses. Puzzle Challenge captures this even better:

Last edited:
I'll sound like a broken record, I'm sure, because I'm pretty sure I've posted this before. lol

In general, I would say I love a lot of the music from the first three generations and then X/Y. Between Gens IV, V, and VI I only have one favorite (Dragonspiral Tower).

Prior to X/Y, Gen II was actually my favorite. I love pretty much all of the battle themes, both new and old. I thought that Kanto remixes were all great! The battle themes were rockin', while the town and route themes were all softened and lighter than the originals, heightening the nostalgia (you know, back before GF ruined Kanto nostalgia lol).

Probably my favorite theme from G/S/C/HG/SS is Union Cave/Ruins of Alph (Outside), though:

I always was fascinated by the track when I first played through G/S/C way back in the day, but since then I have become acquainted with classical music and nowadays this track gives major Stravinsky vibes. I may just be crazy. But it distinctly makes think of this part of Rite of Spring (starting around 1:47), and I always adored that part when I performed that piece, so...

Otherwise, I've probably posted this a hundred times:

I adore X/Y's Route 4, and I hope we get some Route themes in Sword/Shield in the same vein.

And if we're going down the techno route, X/Y's Power Plant theme just can't be beat:

I am a HUGE fan of the music from Gen V, specifically Black and White. The Plasma battle theme is probably my favorite song in all the games. Nimbasa City's theme is a banger. And N's Farewell might be the most beautiful solo piano VGM I've ever heard. I also thought that the NPC's with the different instruments who, if you talked to them, added their instrument to the song made for a cute idea, culminating in the legendary "ah ah oh" of Village Bridge. Other notables from BW include Unwavering Heart, Driftveil City, the Ghetsis theme, the intro music, and the Pokemon league music.

The best Hoenn themes are these two:

I am not a big fan of the rest. I used to listen to the rival battle theme a lot for whatever reason.

I always was fascinated by the track when I first played through G/S/C way back in the day, but since then I have become acquainted with classical music and nowadays this track gives major Stravinsky vibes. I may just be crazy. But it distinctly makes think of this part of Rite of Spring (starting around 1:47), and I always adored that part when I performed that piece, so...
You aren't crazy. I can see the resemblance and that's very cool.

Aside from Johto's soundtrack which I have always loved (since it's not as high pitched as Gen I), I also like:
  • Deoxys's theme (a theme that should have been in Smash, TBH)
  • The Galactic Grunts' theme
  • Both of Cynthia's themes
  • Wally's theme
  • That one song in BW that plays during sentimental scenes,
  • Hau's battle theme
  • Route 209, which, by the way, kinda sounds like "All the Young Dudes")
  • Lusamine's second battle theme.

About Sinnoh's music, I am not a great fan of it in general, but there are some real gems like the Route 201 track I posted, and also the Route 205 one. But even in general, I've definitely warmed up to Sinnoh's music. I definitely like it more than before. Tbh the only OST I dislike is XY, by far. I either like or really like all the other regions' OSTs.

If I had to rank them, it would probably be like this:

Kanto = Johto = Hoenn > Unova > Sinnoh > Alola >>>>> Kalos

This one I like a lot:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-WC9H59uM&list=PL46A49E65817F8577&index=45

Last edited:
I think that I am fonder of relatively serene (or alternatively somber) themes, except for some battle themes because obviously those need to be energetic.

I really like the 8-bit version of the HGSS remix of the Route 24/25 theme:

Last edited:
I understand.

Personally, I like serene, energetic and happy themes. As long as they're top quality in my book, I like all 3 of them.

Last edited:
If you want some intense battle theme against a legendary Pokemon, here's one that you might not have thought came from a DS game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0aDOp3c8Y0&list=PL6akIKaXBeU019F2ZKNaJyqgrrOEZXfBc&index=32&t=0s

And here's a slightly different counterpart.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhtujy_jXc&list=PL6akIKaXBeU019F2ZKNaJyqgrrOEZXfBc&index=5

I like how the two themes alternate on opposite sides of the headphones, really gives the idea that the fusions are more one-sided, I hope both of these themes combine and become remixed to be heard in Smash someday.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom