• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are hardcore?

Pikachu4170

Reaction score
I pre-ordered Gates to Infinity months ago. Then, at launch day, I got my pre-ordered copy.

I started playing it, day by day, until i was challenged by a LOT of difficult elements (Traps, Monster Houses, weather, the hard stuff)

I started collecting these Revive Seeds (Or whatever it's called) every single time after I did some simple missions with the others in the group.

I stopped playing it due to how hard it was.

The only way I can win one of these Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games is by cheating (Just like I did with Explorers of Sky every time I raged).

Does this mean that the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are meant to be hardcore?

Last edited:
They're based on the "roguelike" genre of dungeon crawlers, which is a hardcore pedigree, but PMD does have several concessions for younger players -- for one, no permadeath.

Magnagate dungeons are typically more difficult than the in-story dungeons, especially since you can play those even without trying story mode at all. Things do get easier once you start collecting Team Skills (obtained randomly from treasure chest drops) and level-grinding your moves.

Also, I hear that the newer mystery dungeon game is much easier. I know that the mystery dungeon games have definitely softened from when they started with Red and Blue Rescue. Red Rescue is incredibly difficult and I still haven't beaten it to this day, however, Explorers of Time paled in comparison to the difficulty of Red Rescue, in my opinion. And I believe that it is a general consensus that the newest release is easier than Explorers of Time (just ask JWittz haha). So i'd conclude that the newest release is more softcore than hardcore :p

So i'd conclude that the newest release is more softcore than hardcore :p

It is easier, until you get to the part to rescue Keldeo (Which I will NEVER beat...) where it gets too intensive...

So, i kinda disagree with you.

Does this mean I suck?

Well, I've never played it so I can't say that you suck :p Especially since I've never beaten Entei in Red Rescue haha What teams have you tried to beat Keldeo? Also a trainer tip from me: Items are extremely useful in a fight, such as various orbs or seeds

Not a major spoiler, but you don't beat Keldeo, you rescue him. You have to fight someone else, and it's much worse (especially a certain legendary). Oh, and if you have any of those items that protect against status ailments, save it for the final boss.

It is easier, until you get to the part to rescue Keldeo (Which I will NEVER beat...) where it gets too intensive...

So, i kinda disagree with you.

Does this mean I suck?

That's definitely past the Point Of No Return, so yes your options are limited:
1 - If you need items (e.g. Reviver Seeds), switch to Companion Mode and let them go shopping and/or dungeon crawling for you. Have them deposit any useful items in Storage so your main characters can withdraw them.
2 - Also in Companion Mode, have a few Pokemon with the same moves as your two main characters. Take them dungeon crawling and level-up those moves (if you have dojos in your Paradise, use them too); move levels are shared between all team members so this will help improve your story team.
3 - I'm not entirely sure on this, but I THINK that any experience points collected in Companion Mode will also be shared with your story mode team. Who couldn't use some extra HP and attack/defense points?

You may be noticing a theme here ... just keep trying and you'll prevail eventually.

Note that Orbs are limited use in certain boss battles (there's a Team Skill that prevents more than one team member from getting the same status ailment, and yes, some boss teams have it).

Oh, and if any of your team members know Agility then USE IT. Getting multiple turns in a row (even for only a short duration) can take a lot of pressure off the battle.

Last edited:
I thought the new game was easier, mostly for the fact they removed hunger. The only part that was ridiculous to me was getting through one of those doors you need a key for. I was woefully unprepared for the Braviary lying in wait. But then that problem just gets solved by not going through those doors early in the game. And the fact you can farm berries and seeds, it's definitely a more forgiving game. And the dungeons you explore after the main story are meant to be levels harder anyway, so that's not a hardcore aspect.

No, I don't think they're meant to be hardcore. But I could totally understand why people might have trouble with it. Especially if this was their first foray into the Mystery Dungeon games.

That's definitely past the Point Of No Return, so yes your options are limited:
1 - If you need items (e.g. Reviver Seeds), switch to Companion Mode and let them go shopping and/or dungeon crawling for you. Have them deposit any useful items in Storage so your main characters can withdraw them.
2 - Also in Companion Mode, have a few Pokemon with the same moves as your two main characters. Take them dungeon crawling and level-up those moves (if you have dojos in your Paradise, use them too); move levels are shared between all team members so this will help improve your story team.
3 - I'm not entirely sure on this, but I THINK that any experience points collected in Companion Mode will also be shared with your story mode team. Who couldn't use some extra HP and attack/defense points?

You may be noticing a theme here ... just keep trying and you'll prevail eventually.

Note that Orbs are limited use in certain boss battles (there's a Team Skill that prevents more than one team member from getting the same status ailment, and yes, some boss teams have it).

Oh, and if any of your team members know Agility then USE IT. Getting multiple turns in a row (even for only a short duration) can take a lot of pressure off the battle.

I'm not sure if this will work...

I may still fail...:dizzy:

There's no belly in this game, right? You should try the games with belly aha.

I'm not sure if this will work...

I may still fail...:dizzy:
When in doubt, save up a Team Attack for boss battles and unleash it on turn 1. That can end a number of battles even before they begin.

As for levelling up moves, my MC was Axew and by the end of the game I had like a Lv.7 Dual Chop (Dragon) and a Lv.5 Incinerate (Fire). That's like OHKO almost anything that roamed into my path.

Another strategy you can use when dealing with enemy teams is any item you can throw to disable opponents, because unless they have a room-striking move (like Earthquake) this makes them effectively harmless until the status wears off. Confusion, Paralysis, and Petrify are three statuses you can use to incapacitate up to half an enemy team, and while they're suffering you simply focus your attacks on taking out the others.

There's no belly in this game, right? You should try the games with belly aha.
90136d1379639228-pokemon-mystery-dungeon-games-hardcore-crying-meme.gif

When in doubt, save up a Team Attack for boss battles and unleash it on turn 1. That can end a number of battles even before they begin.

As for levelling up moves, my MC was Axew and by the end of the game I had like a Lv.7 Dual Chop (Dragon) and a Lv.5 Incinerate (Fire). That's like OHKO almost anything that roamed into my path.

Another strategy you can use when dealing with enemy teams is any item you can throw to disable opponents, because unless they have a room-striking move (like Earthquake) this makes them effectively harmless until the status wears off. Confusion, Paralysis, and Petrify are three statuses you can use to incapacitate up to half an enemy team, and while they're suffering you simply focus your attacks on taking out the others.
At least I will give it a shot... But finding moves is hard...

Attachments

• crying-meme.gif
    crying-meme.gif
    271.8 KB · Views: 183
Yeah, TM's are hard to find in dungeons (one DLC dungeon specializes in them) and cost a lot in shops. But at least they're totally re-usable, so once you find one you can use Item Storage to transfer it between your story team and companions.

The best thing ever in Explorers of Time was stealing from Kecleon shops in dungeons.. Thank you, Trawl Orb! hahaha

I dunno about hardcore, but I know the games can be very difficult if you are unprepared for them. I remember on more than one occasion in when I spent several hours gathering items and attempting to level up instead of advancing the story and I would be terrified of when the story progressed because I was worried I wasn't fully prepared.

Mystery Dungeon is kind of a loosened up version of Roguelikes. They're meant to be more accesible than your standard "pure" one. This doesn't mean they're necessarialy more or less difficult, but definitely more loose on the difficulty curve.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is a bit looser than the rest of the Mystery Dungeon games as well, from its mission-based mechanic. Again, this doesn't mean entirely easier as they are capable of putting you in very difficult challenges, but it has a softer and more controlled curve.

However, roguelikes stand as being one of the most hardcore genres of games. With the earlier ones being known for taking years for a dedicated player to win.
So I'd think that even in an "entry level" one, these hardcore roots appropiately still remain for further challenges.

The story definitely is easier, but things like the "Ultimate Dungeons" and other secondary missions do show their roguelike difficulty.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom