• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters

PurplePopplio

Gone again for who knows how long. :/
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
I decided to make a thread for this as not to clutter other threads with this. What are your hopes for this game or these games? Do you think that it'll be Gen VIII, a Kanto sequel(s), Sinnoh remake(s) or just something else completely?

Do you see it releasing in 2018 or beyond?

I think that it'll release in 2018, being a big part of the holidays of 2018. But it being Gen VIII depends on the anime. We'll have to keep an eye out for that.

This should be moved to the general VG forum.

I don't know what to expect, to be honest. The pessimist in me (and lord knows that USUM have reignited this side of mine) thinks that it will be a rushed Generation VIII that will barely be worth being called a Switch-based generation. The rationalist in me finds it suspicious that a new generation hasn't been confirmed, and also that recruiting for HD artists only started this year. A reasonable explanation for this would be if the next generation just recently entered development, making it... unlikely for a 2018 goal to be met. But that could just mean a gap year, I suppose.

The optimist in me wishes for Kanto/Johto sequels that would use an upscaled version of the SM graphics, and capitalize on the Go promotion of Kanto/Johto Pokemon and VC games. Sure, a 2017 release date would be more timely, but if Game Freak waited until finishing SM to start their first Switch project, then obviously a year isn't enough (it might have been enough for Stars, but USUM took its place).

Last edited:
For me, I would see either Sinnoh Remake or Kanto/Johto Sequel on Nintendo Switch, I'm not seeing Gen VIII in 2018, with GF creating new pokemon (Depends on how many we're getting), new region, new characters, mechanics, HD pokemon battles, and much more, I don't want them to rush Gen VIII so soon. So I could see either of those game happening next year, as along it's on Switch.

The thing is that the wording strongly implies that they're aiming for a 2018 release date. An odd thing to do for a new generation.

The thing is that the wording strongly implies that they're aiming for a 2018 release date. An odd thing to do for a new generation.
They probably referring to first main series pokemon game on Switch with HD graphics, I doubt it be Gen VIII already, but it wouldn't make since to start a remake or sequel on a new system. It's too early to speculate for 2018 game.

but it wouldn't make since to start a remake or sequel on a new system.
Not a remake, but I don't see why not for a sequel to a classic game. And if you're implying that the 2018 game is actually going to be for the 3DS... That's highly unlikely.

Not a remake, but I don't see why not for a sequel to a classic game. And if you're implying that the 2018 game is actually going to be for the 3DS... That's highly unlikely.
I;m not implying on that, I hope not, because that's going to upset the fans even more. The fans are dying for pokemon game on Switch (Pokken Tournament is on Switch, but something from GF itself that is not a spin-off). Maybe they could do a Sinnoh remake or Kanto/Johto Sequel to test out the Switch before moving to Gen VIII, but that's unlikely, plus 3DS won't be there any longer, they did said that they'll keep supporting 3DS until beyond 2018.

Sequels are a practical solution if they've realized that they should release a Switch game by the end of 2018, and that they wouldn't be able to do a new generation justice in such a tight timeframe.

And they could very well sell at least 13 million copies.

The chances are pretty strong that the Switch games will turn out to be the next generation. I don't see them putting remakes or sequels as the first main series Pokemon game for the Switch. People may want D/P remakes and the idea of a Kanto sequel does sound pretty neat too, but a new generation is going to attract more attention. We'll get new characters, a new region to explore and new Pokemon. I don't see them going in a different direction for the first main series titles on the system.

We'll eventually get D/P remakes. I still have no idea why some of the reactions to the Pokemon Direct acted like we'd never get those remakes if they weren't announced now, but it just might take awhile longer. We'll probably skip remakes for this generation much like what happened in the fifth one. I like the idea of a Kanto sequel and that could attract plenty of attention simply for being set within the Kanto region again, but I don't know if they'd go that route for the first main series games on the Switch or even make them to begin with.

As for when it will come out, I'm leading towards a couple of years from now. They could have it ready for next year, but they may want to take more time to work on it. Plus, they may want to wait until more fans can get a Switch and/or Nintendo is able to put out a cheaper version of the system so that more kids would be able to get it.

A cheaper version shouldn't take that long to make. While it was sleeker rather than cheaper, the DS Lite followed the DS after just 16 months.

Not sure why they would use a vague wording like "may take more than a year" (from June 2017) if they were aiming for late 2019. That would just set up most fans for disappointment. For the record, they never said gave any timeframe for DP.

Last edited:
The chances are pretty strong that the Switch games will turn out to be the next generation. I don't see them putting remakes or sequels as the first main series Pokemon game for the Switch. People may want D/P remakes and the idea of a Kanto sequel does sound pretty neat too, but a new generation is going to attract more attention. We'll get new characters, a new region to explore and new Pokemon. I don't see them going in a different direction for the first main series titles on the system.

We'll eventually get D/P remakes. I still have no idea why some of the reactions to the Pokemon Direct acted like we'd never get those remakes if they weren't announced now, but it just might take awhile longer. We'll probably skip remakes for this generation much like what happened in the fifth one. I like the idea of a Kanto sequel and that could attract plenty of attention simply for being set within the Kanto region again, but I don't know if they'd go that route for the first main series games on the Switch or even make them to begin with.

As for when it will come out, I'm leading towards a couple of years from now. They could have it ready for next year, but they may want to take more time to work on it. Plus, they may want to wait until more fans can get a Switch and/or Nintendo is able to put out a cheaper version of the system so that more kids would be able to get it.
We don't know what to expect for Switch. It's not Gen VIII because it's too early, It's not remake or sequel of the old game to start if off on a new system. I rather take my mind off 2018 and focus on US/UM.

I think this will be Generation VIII.

This was posted on the other Pokémon Switch thread, but will be quoting this here.

Assuming that the Nintendo Switch Pokémon game will actually be Generation VIII (which is likely), will we get a glimpse of a Generation VIII Pokémon anytime now? Especially in the Pokémon animé?

I know it is still very early, especially that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon weren't released yet and the Sun and Moon anime still relatively new, but I just remembered Munchlax, a Generation IV Pokémon, being unveiled in the middle of Generation III, so maybe they may possibly unveil a Generation VIII Pokémon in a similar manner.

Or maybe they will star a Generation VIII Pokémon alongside an old legendary Pokémon for the 21st Pokémon Movie, just like with Lucario, Zoroark, and Magearna.

Personally, I would want them to take the Munchlax route, unveiling a basic or a regular Generation VIII Pokémon as some sort of companion, or any unique role, in the Sun and Moon animé; much better if they will unveil the Generation VIII Pokémon around Q3 or Q4 2017, to (indirectly) encourage kids watching the animé to save up money for the Switch (the Switch being a somewhat expensive console) for them to be able to play the upcoming Nintendo Switch Pokémon game with the new critter. Then they could always take the Lucario route after that.

I guess it wouldn't be a conflict if they plan to add Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon features to the anime to promote the said games, they can always make arcs, or an entire season altogether, dedicated to Necrozma and those features.

Bian is wondering how the SM anime would promote a new generation. I wouldn't expect a Togepi/Munchlax/Bonsly/Mime Jr. situation again, personally.

A new generation could be released any time from late 2018 to late 2020. If it is the former, then the next movie will promote a new mythical and probably call it a day. If it is 2019 or 2020, there could be two movies involving new Pokemon (like the Lucario and Manaphy movies). The longer this generation lasts, the more they'll have to rely on old mythicals/legendary for movie distributions, but I see nothing wrong with that (especially in the event of forms).

Bian is wondering how the SM anime would promote a new generation. I wouldn't expect a Togepi/Munchlax/Bonsly/Mime Jr. situation again, personally.

A new generation could be released any time from late 2018 to late 2020. If it is the former, then the next movie will promote a new mythical and probably call it a day. If it is 2019 or 2020, there could be two movies involving new Pokemon (like the Lucario and Manaphy movies). The longer this generation lasts, the more they'll have to rely on old mythicals/legendary for movie distributions, but I see nothing wrong with that (especially in the event of forms).
Except Gen VII just started with Sun/Moon, it's not like they'll ended it already in 2018, what about the anime, it's not nearly done just yet.

Obviously, I don't expect it to end next year. But I also find it unwise to treat a gap year as the only option.

A gap year is certainly a possibility, but it seems that Nintendo definitely don't want that to happen.

We don't know what to expect for Switch. It's not Gen VIII because it's too early, It's not remake or sequel of the old game to start if off on a new system. I rather take my mind off 2018 and focus on US/UM.

I don't think we can rule out the eighth generation, especially when we don't know exactly when the games will be released. They could just as easily have a break next year if they want to spend more time developing the games, which would also give SM more time to wrap up. A new generation just makes the most sense out of the options here in my opinion. I doubt that they'd have a remake or sequel as the first main series title on the Switch and having brand new Pokemon would attract more people to the games and by extension the Switch as well.

Back
Top Bottom