• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
I think Switch may break the 1-remake-per-system pattern, since GameFreak usually ensures that every region is playable on a console through Backwards Compatiblity/VC/Remakes. Since Switch dosen't have BC, it might be a bit wonky to 'sustain' the tradition this time. (But seeing it, I don't think Kalos and Alola will be playable (since they're relatively new) )

And I don't see straight up rereleases happening for the 'older games' like BW. The VC for the older games was such an affair so imo a straight up rerelease isn't possible.

I believe this could be possible. As of now we don't know how true virtual console will be implemented on the Switch. That is to say we don't know which system's they will include and how will the "gimmicks" be implemented. Previously the Virtual Console used games from S/NES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy (Advance), and Nintendo DS. They used the Wii U touch screen for DS touch controls which means they could include this for the Switch and potentially expand that to 3DS, however unlike the Wii U which had a separate pad with touch controls its all integrated. It may be difficult to implement DS games or they need to be handheld only. Since the Switch isn't backwards compatible (but does also have a form of motion controls) they could expand the VC to include GameCube or Wii.

Simply put we don't know. I hope that due to the system disconnect that they do implement a fuller VC collection, and that they can find an efficient way to workout the DS system. If not then it makes sense for GF to bring Gen IV and Gen V remakes to the Switch and later systems imo.

Speaking about Pokemon Switch version and its possibilities, might they create an open world pokemon game? Or at least a game with a huge region to explore. From what they're talking about it kinda seems that way.

I don't think they will (due to the amount of work) and I don't think it fits a Pokemon game. I feel like an open world necessitates certain game aspects that don't fit the mainline Pokemon games. In specific, usually when people ask for open world Pokemon they want "All regions in one game", "Breath of the Wild type game play where you can climb mountains", and/or "being able to see all the Pokemon in the overworld where you can hunt them battle ARPG style and through pokeballs at them." While some of that sounds nice and would probably make an awesome spinoff I don't think it fits the mainline. That being said, I definitely think they should incorporate elements (larger areas to explore, more player freedom, nonlinearity/no artificial barriers like invisible walls or thirsty guards). I would like to see more overworld pokemon, but not all of them as by Gen VIII we will be nearing 900 undoubtable.

I believe this could be possible. As of now we don't know how true virtual console will be implemented on the Switch. That is to say we don't know which system's they will include and how will the "gimmicks" be implemented. Previously the Virtual Console used games from S/NES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy (Advance), and Nintendo DS. They used the Wii U touch screen for DS touch controls which means they could include this for the Switch and potentially expand that to 3DS, however unlike the Wii U which had a separate pad with touch controls its all integrated. It may be difficult to implement DS games or they need to be handheld only. Since the Switch isn't backwards compatible (but does also have a form of motion controls) they could expand the VC to include GameCube or Wii.

Simply put we don't know. I hope that due to the system disconnect that they do implement a fuller VC collection, and that they can find an efficient way to workout the DS system. If not then it makes sense for GF to bring Gen IV and Gen V remakes to the Switch and later systems imo.

I don't think they will (due to the amount of work) and I don't think it fits a Pokemon game. I feel like an open world necessitates certain game aspects that don't fit the mainline Pokemon games. In specific, usually when people ask for open world Pokemon they want "All regions in one game", "Breath of the Wild type game play where you can climb mountains", and/or "being able to see all the Pokemon in the overworld where you can hunt them battle ARPG style and through pokeballs at them." While some of that sounds nice and would probably make an awesome spinoff I don't think it fits the mainline. That being said, I definitely think they should incorporate elements (larger areas to explore, more player freedom, nonlinearity/no artificial barriers like invisible walls or thirsty guards). I would like to see more overworld pokemon, but not all of them as by Gen VIII we will be nearing 900 undoubtable.
You just made me think of something... there are rumors that the switch will have GameCube VC games, and just like the old GB games being on 3DS VC, I could see them putting Colosseum and XD on the switch VC, with connectivity to whatever new version of Pokémon bank they have.

Of course, probably would never happen, but I can dream.

Yeah that'll probably happen. Larger areas to explore and more freedom and choice based storylines might be added into the main series.

I don't think gamefreak can make an open world people are wanting

I definitely think they should incorporate elements (larger areas to explore, more player freedom, nonlinearity/no artificial barriers like invisible walls or thirsty guards).
I really hope this is what they do. I feel like if they go back to gen 1 especially there is so much they can expand on and do to make the story better and to create a more non-linear and unique story for every player. A basic example would obviously be adding all the cities that are seen or mentioned in the anime but were not put in gen 1 games. A great post game side quest would be the orange islands as well. I feel like there is so much that game freak can do to expand on and make the Kanto region games better.
In the anime when Gary shows Ash his gym metals he has some metals from gyms Ash never goes to. It would be cool if Game freak could add more than 8 gyms but still set it so you only need 8 gym badges to challenge the elite 4, it would again help to create a more unique experience for every player.

This is mostly what I want, but I do think in the long run they should go full on BotW open world as well. The ability to go anywhere is really the apex of that sense of nonlinearity and player freedom. Also, the BotW style mountain climbing would actually fit with Pokemon through an expansion of field abilities, field abilities have always served as a way for Pokemon to help you to pass natural obstacles like trees, rocks, and rivers, so expanding on that to allow you to use field abilities to get past anything would definitely fit the series.

But yeah, just doing this much would be perfect for 8th gen and go a long way towards creating that sort of console experience that so many people have asked for.

Anyone else still curious on just how the single screen will work for Gen 8? By the time the gen launches, we would be nearing 12 maybe even 13 years with the DS setup, which means it has been around longer then the GB(A) setup. I am curious as to how that will work in the battles mostly, overworld and Poketool functions can be speculated at another point of time. Basically, how will they present the menus while still keeping screen clutter at a minimal, and will they perhaps instead opt for memorizing button shortcuts for drop down menus, or perhaps go for something more dynamic? Like if you press L1 or L2 it focuses on the trainer, with L1 being the bag while L2 would be for running, while R1 and R2 would be for attacks and switching respectively. This then requires only a text box and menus for the Attacks or bag to pop up, perhaps having the team menu being a list that scrolls out above the HP with options for summary or switching. Its interesting either way, single screen can get needlessly complicates with clutter if they don't try to modernize the battles.

Anyone else still curious on just how the single screen will work for Gen 8? By the time the gen launches, we would be nearing 12 maybe even 13 years with the DS setup, which means it has been around longer then the GB(A) setup. I am curious as to how that will work in the battles mostly, overworld and Poketool functions can be speculated at another point of time. Basically, how will they present the menus while still keeping screen clutter at a minimal, and will they perhaps instead opt for memorizing button shortcuts for drop down menus, or perhaps go for something more dynamic? Like if you press L1 or L2 it focuses on the trainer, with L1 being the bag while L2 would be for running, while R1 and R2 would be for attacks and switching respectively. This then requires only a text box and menus for the Attacks or bag to pop up, perhaps having the team menu being a list that scrolls out above the HP with options for summary or switching. Its interesting either way, single screen can get needlessly complicates with clutter if they don't try to modernize the battles.

They could do something similar to Stadium's, where you have the menus out of the way and they expand as necessary, that would still work here. TBH, I'm not too worried about this, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Since they seem to be working with following Pokemon again, I wonder if they'll take advantage of that by expanding on Poke Ride? That would be a good way to give following a practical use, if the Pokemon out with you can use a field ability. Field abilities are going to be especially important when they go open world to really provide that BotW level of interaction with the environment, being able to cut down any tree, push or break any rock, or climb any mountain would really give the player freedom to explore the environment.

I don't think they'll two remake in the same generation, it has to be like the concept the fans be predicting on.
Gen 3: FRLG in 2004 on GB.
Gen 4: HGSS in 2009 on DS.
Gen 6: ORAS in 2014 on 3DS.
Gen 8: DP Remake, possibly in 2019 or 2020 on Switch.
Gen 9 or Gen 10 a possible Gen V remake on a new system likely to happen.

Unless you're suggesting they'll putting Sinnoh and Unova remake together, (Which I know that won't happen) let's call it Black Diamond and White Pearl :p
thats exactly what i was suggesting

I don't think they'll two remake in the same generation, it has to be like the concept the fans be predicting on.
Gen 3: FRLG in 2004 on GB.
Gen 4: HGSS in 2009 on DS.
Gen 6: ORAS in 2014 on 3DS.
Gen 8: DP Remake, possibly in 2019 or 2020 on Switch.
Gen 9 or Gen 10 a possible Gen V remake on a new system likely to happen.

Unless you're suggesting they'll putting Sinnoh and Unova remake together, (Which I know that won't happen) let's call it Black Diamond and White Pearl :p

Or maybe in the DP remake you can travel to unova in the post game, and they can do this through a revamped cave of being. Remember it’s description in BW2? “They say the deepest part of the cave leads to the sinnoh region”.

Playing Mario Odyssey has really helped me understand just what exactly the HD Rumble does, and I think the Switch game could use it similarly. For those not familiar, in Odyssey there's some Power Moons you collect that are hidden in the ground and you use the HD Rumble to pinpoint where they are, the closer you get to the hidden Power Moon the stronger the Joycons rumble. I could see this feature being used in Pokemon as well for mechanics such as the Itemfinder and Pokeradar/Dexnav.

I recently thought of something. that I think would be really neat to implement in Pokémon Switch. Lately, all of the plots have centered around an evil team trying to rule/change the world using some legendary Pokémon. However, while I doubt this would happen, what if the legendary mascot to wasn't the goal of the evil team this time around, but rather some mystical artifact that is said to strengthen Pokémon? What they ere treasure hunters that want to sell ancient and/or powerful relics on the black market?

As for the box legendary, I'd like Game Freak to do one of the following: either relegate the box legendary to a side-quest separate from the main story like in GSC/HGSS (which probably won't happen) OR have the legendary be an obstacle to keep the evil team from getting what they want. Either of those things would be a nice change from "save the mascot(s) from [insert evil team here]" but I doubt Game Freak's gonna give up that formula anytime soon. What do you guys think about this idea?

I recently thought of something. that I think would be really neat to implement in Pokémon Switch. Lately, all of the plots have centered around an evil team trying to rule/change the world using some legendary Pokémon. However, while I doubt this would happen, what if the legendary mascot to wasn't the goal of the evil team this time around, but rather some mystical artifact that is said to strengthen Pokémon? What they ere treasure hunters that want to sell ancient and/or powerful relics on the black market?

As for the box legendary, I'd like Game Freak to do one of the following: either relegate the box legendary to a side-quest separate from the main story like in GSC/HGSS (which probably won't happen) OR have the legendary be an obstacle to keep the evil team from getting what they want. Either of those things would be a nice change from "save the mascot(s) from [insert evil team here]" but I doubt Game Freak's gonna give up that formula anytime soon. What do you guys think about this idea?

I think that's a really cool idea. It has been a long time since GF has done something like this, and it would add a fresh feel to the game, and make the story a bit more interesting.

Going off of your idea of having the evil team look for a mystical artifact, I think a lot could be explored with this idea alone. Recently, I've been considering the idea of a Pokemon game that has some of its plot elements based in history. The regional professor is studying Ancient Pokemon, or something around those lines, and one of the player's goals in the story is to help find more about these things, while going through your Pokemon journey. The game could puta lot of influence into artifacts, and I can imagine this game will have quite a few fossil Pokemon.

I really thin the idea of having the evil team looking for an artifact brings a great new spin on what the sotyr for a Pokemon game can be. And having the box legendary trying to defend it is even cooler. What if the reason we catch the box legendary is because the evil team managed to get the artifact, so the PC and the box mascot have to work together in order to get it back. Just an idea.

To be honest, I've never liked the trend of forcing you to capture the mascot legendary, or even battle it for that matter. RSE may have had a save-the-legendary plot, but the actual capture of said legendary was purely optional. I'd say it was even worse in HGSS, where you're still forced to capture the legendary despite it being completely unrelated to the plot. I like the idea of the evil team seeking an artifact, but not so much of having to work alongside the game's legendary to stop them. It's been overdone. It's cliche. It's no longer special.

To be honest, I've never liked the trend of forcing you to capture the mascot legendary, or even battle it for that matter. RSE may have had a save-the-legendary plot, but the actual capture of said legendary was purely optional. I'd say it was even worse in HGSS, where you're still forced to capture the legendary despite it being completely unrelated to the plot. I like the idea of the evil team seeking an artifact, but not so much of having to work alongside the game's legendary to stop them. It's been overdone. It's cliche. It's no longer special.
In my best case scenario, the legendary wouldn't be part of the plot. However, I doubt Game Freak is gonna given that up anytime soon, so the least they could do is not have the legendary be the main goal of the evil team. It would be even better if you weren't forced to capture it though, just tell it something's up, have it deal with the bad guys, and then you've earned the right to catch it on your own time instead of it being plot-based.

Basically, I agree that we shouldn't be forced to capture legendary, and it would be even better if it were just relegated to a side-quest. Knowing Game Freak though, they probably want to give it at least some of the relevance that past box legends have to their respective game. That's why I'd be happy with just the evil team's goal not involving the box legend.

It's not quite what you're suggesting, but XY sort of did this. Team Flare's main focus was the revival of the ultimate weapon, and that's what all of the mythology and plot development was centered around. Xerneas and Yveltal were more like incidental details in that plot, although they were, of course, still mandatory captures. But all it would really take in order to turn XY into something like what you're describing would be a redraft that removes the need for Xerneas/Yveltal to serve as the battery for the weapon, and instead sees them being awakened indirectly by Team Flare's actions and coming to stop them.

Last edited:
I don't think that legendary involvement is the problem so much as grandiose plots about rebuilding the world. SM were devoid of the latter and the version mascots didn't do all that much. In contrast, USUM seem to be a step back for the sake of "epicness".

It's an unfortunate effect of the bigger-and-badder syndrome. Every new thing has to outperform the thing before it. I honestly miss the simplicity in a lot of older works, not just Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom