• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
I love gen V, but it does have a lot of offenders. Sawk, throh, the elemental monkies, the musketeers, kyuzek, klinklang, I could go on.
Yes. The fact that every newly introduced regular Pokémon in Gen 7 either got a signature move or a signature ability (or both) also speaks a lot about Gen 7 group of Pokemon.

Just because it may be coming out next year doesn't mean it'll be rushed. People need to stop acting like it'll be similar to USUM. Stop putting your own fears on something you have no info on. The odds are the game will have been developed for the same amount of time every intiial gen games are. Around 3 years. People LOVE to throw around the old "GF is lazy" (and sometimes I agree) but they're more than equiped to handle making a solid Switch game. Make judgements once we see the game not before.

RUMOR: Gen VIII Games Coming to Switch in 2018
this is scary, it will be a rushed game with 50-60 new pokemon and 0 post game.
i hope it's not sure.. i will wait for 2019 to get a good game and not this

I don't buy the rumor. They also say that Metroid Prime 4 is being made by Bandai Namco when Nintendo said it's being developed by a new internal studio.

In regards to Pokemon itself, I also don't think it'll be 2018. This is their first time developing in HD, and HD development tends to take longer than expected (this was one reason the Wii U had so many software droughts, they underestimated how long it would take to release some of the games). So 2018 is wildly unrealistic, it'll probably be 2019.

Imo it will be 2019 or late 2018 at best. I can see 2018 being a gap year though.

Well, Masuda visiting a cave means nothing, can't you remember the Spain travel last year and everybody though gen 7 was based on Spain? Probably they are researching ancient stuff, cave or fossil ideas, but the next game will not be on France again

I'd like the switch games to be a new generation, though I'm not putting any money on any particular outcome. I'm hoping for a Gen V style soft reboot, with a whole dex of new Pokemon with older Pokemon being either absent until post-game or have a few popular lines like Pikachu, Gyarados, Alakazam, etc. I understand that now Pokemon are 3D models as opposed to sprites take a lot more time and effort to make, so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I can dream.

If the switch games are coming out in 2018, I hope they don't end up being rushed, though I am eager see Pokemon on a much more powerful device. The last thing I'd want to see is a console scale Pokemon game with very little content. A new gen being released in 2018 would also make Gen VII the shortest generation yet, lasting only 2 years.

The trip GF have taken to Dordogne (marvelous place, btw) seems to have focused on ancient stuff such as prehistoric life and cave paintings, so maybe an ancient setting or some time travel? I mean, we've already had inter-dimensional this gen and there was the Celebi/Giovanni event in HGSS. If they're going for a Kanto/Johto deal with Kalos, I hope Kalos is at least interesting this time around. In Gen VI it was, in my opinion, empty. If they condense Kalos in Gen VIII like Gen II did with Kanto, it would only make it worse.

Side note: Colosseum and XD on Switch VC would be awesome.

A time travel plot would be awesome, but i hope the next regions are nowhere in Japan or Usa. Japan is gorgeous but there's lots of countries in this world that would make equally interesting regions.

Well I don't see them ever removing the mascot legendaries from the plot again. Mascots are supposed to be marketing, they're strong, cool looking Pokemon meant to draw people's attention and get them to buy the games. So of course it would make sense to make them a major part of the storyline, it makes the climax more exciting when you finally get to obtain the Pokemon you've seen on the cover since you got it.

As far as the grandiose plots, I'd rather have those than the disjointed, anime filler-esque stories of RBY and GSC. The plot of those games feel virtually nonexistent thanks to bland, shallow characterization and a lack of overarching plot elements, it makes the entirety of those games feel meaningless story wise. I wouldn't mind them toning it down, but they really should keep the depth that the grandiose plots have had.

What I think they could do is make the legendaries into more of an end game plot twist or a Chekov's Gun. SM was pretty close to this, but you still had Aether chasing after Nebby so they kind of hinted that Nebby held a major importance. I want the legendary to basically come out of nowhere to help us stop the villain.
Well, the removal of legendaries from the plot was just a "best-case scenario" bit. I completely understand that it would not be a popular move from a business standpoint. However, what I do want is for the evil team's goal not involve using the legendary Pokémon. Game Freak could just as easily have the box legendary be in exact opposition to their plans and be tied into the story that way. I just don't want the villains to try and use the powers of the box legendaries like they have been in every non-remake title since Gen III.

In other news, how would you all feel if in the Switch titles, the people didn't worship the legendary Pokémon of their region, but rather non-Pokémon deities instead…

…who train the legendary Pokémon of that region? Obviously, I think that having a region worship Pokémon Trainers as gods rather than the legendary Pokémon themselves would be an interesting way to shake up the Pokémon formula. Heck, one of the gods could actually the regional champion.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that they'll reveal the next game some time in 2018 but I wouldn't expect a release until 2019. Honestly the easiest way to tell is by how many episodes have passed in the anime. Most of them are between 150 to 200 episodes.

I don't buy the rumor. They also say that Metroid Prime 4 is being made by Bandai Namco when Nintendo said it's being developed by a new internal studio.

In regards to Pokemon itself, I also don't think it'll be 2018. This is their first time developing in HD, and HD development tends to take longer than expected (this was one reason the Wii U had so many software droughts, they underestimated how long it would take to release some of the games). So 2018 is wildly unrealistic, it'll probably be 2019.
Yeah. That just screams fake. Gen 8 would be rushed if it released next year.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that they'll reveal the next game some time in 2018 but I wouldn't expect a release until 2019. Honestly the easiest way to tell is by how many episodes have passed in the anime. Most of them are between 150 to 200 episodes.
I think they reveal a new game only if it's getting release in the same year, but i can see Q4 2018 reveal and 2019 release (around july) so the wait won't be too long.

I think they reveal a new game only if it's getting release in the same year, but i can see Q4 2018 reveal and 2019 release (around july) so the wait won't be too long.
Yeah I could see July release too. The sales are declining in japan. July is when school holidays start in japan. Alot of big Japanese games release in japan

I'm actually hoping for a 2018 release that isn't Generation 8.

But it'll probably be:
2018 - Break year
2019 - Gen 8
2020 - Sinnoh remakes/ Gen 8 follow-up

That would make Gen VII about 3 years long.

RUMOR: Gen VIII Games Coming to Switch in 2018
this is scary, it will be a rushed game with 50-60 new pokemon and 0 post game.
i hope it's not sure.. i will wait for 2019 to get a good game and not this
i mean there definitely won't be many new Pokemon. they've continually expressed concern for the number of Pokemon on top of the amount of extra work and considerations that it takes to make a new Pokemon now.

I really would like a new generation, but maybe it is too soon!?
It is possible a new remake

The big question: Will we be able to use the joy-cons to throw pokeballs?

And please bring gyms back, I know people find them boring, but I feel they help build a clearer sense of progression than trials do, please be merciful.

The big question: Will we be able to use the joy-cons to throw pokeballs?

And please bring gyms back, I know people find them boring, but I feel they help build a clearer sense of progression than trials do, please be merciful.
Ironically it's big words that irritate me. We're finally leaving the tyranny of unnecessarily mandatory touch screen usage and you're suggesting motion controls?

I do like Gyms more than trials though but I hope they do something newer.

Ironically it's big words that irritate me. We're finally leaving the tyranny of unnecessarily mandatory touch screen usage and you're suggesting motion controls?
It would be most likely optional. I can see us creating our custom Pokeball-throwing styles using Joy-Cons and then saving it as our default throwing style animation.

@PkmnTrainerV; in that specific instance yes but there a lot of menus that would work fine with bottoms but are touch screen only. I don't trust Gamefreak not to make something invasive. Everything starts small.

I rather would have 4 generation games to introduce new game mechanics and changes to moves and abilities like Bulletproof, heatproof , soundproof , sound moves and so on.
Do you guys really want a rushed generation 8 to complain more about it after it releses?
Its a littleb bit to rushed, I rather would they focus more on the anime, maybe there they could introduce gyms back first.
And after a league, Ash meets a guy from the new region... I rather think I want generation 8 in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom