• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
I rather would have 4 generation games to introduce new game mechanics and changes to moves and abilities like Bulletproof, heatproof , soundproof , sound moves and so on.
Do you guys really want a rushed generation 8 to complain more about it after it releses?
Wouldn’t it make more sense from a marketing standpoint to debut the main series on the Switch as a new generation rather than as remakes?

Its a littleb bit to rushed, I rather would they focus more on the anime, maybe there they could introduce gyms back first.
And after a league, Ash meets a guy from the new region...
Why would they do that? Game Freak has nothing to do with the anime.

I rather think I want generation 8 in 2020.
The Switch came out in 2017, the adverage lifespan of a gaming console is about 5 years, 2020 is far too late for the main series to make it’s debut on the system, early-late 2019 seems like a more reasonable date

Wouldn’t it make more sense from a marketing standpoint to debut the main series on the Switch as a new generation

Perhaps, but if we really wanna talk marketing success, nothing would be more successful than a Kanto sequel/remake, given the resurgence in popularity due to GO and the Switch being marketed towards adults/young adults. Not saying I want a Kanto sequel/remake, but it would probably be more successful than a new generation given the current install base of the Switch and the general popularity of Kanto and power of nostalgia in pop-culture, especially following Go's momentum. Not to mention that new generations generally take longer to develop, and they still had job ads out this year.

Perhaps, but if we really wanna talk marketing success, nothing would be more successful than a Kanto sequel/remake, given the resurgence in popularity due to GO and the Switch being marketed towards adults/young adults. Not saying I want a Kanto sequel/remake, but it would probably be more successful than a new generation given the current install base of the Switch and the general popularity of Kanto and power of nostalgia in pop-culture, especially following Go's momentum. Not to mention that new generations generally take longer to develop, and they still had job ads out this year.
Please no, Between XY, Go, the RGBY VC releases, and the gen 7 games, it's time for them to laid off on all this gen 1 pondering.

Perhaps, but if we really wanna talk marketing success, nothing would be more successful than a Kanto sequel/remake, given the resurgence in popularity due to GO and the Switch being marketed towards adults/young adults. Not saying I want a Kanto sequel/remake, but it would probably be more successful than a new generation given the current install base of the Switch and the general popularity of Kanto and power of nostalgia in pop-culture, especially following Go's momentum.

RS sales: 16.22 million
FRLG sales: 12 million

Yeah, Kanto is totally more successful than a new generation.

If anything, nothing is more successful than a new generation. The new generation games have constantly been the highest selling in each generation and it makes perfect sense for them to, seeing as they're the games with the most amount of new content. Nostalgia has been a strong sales motivator, but not that strong. Also, you guys are overestimating the impact of Pokemon Go. Sales haven't exactly exploded in 7th gen so at best its a modest bump, and even then said bump would probably keep new generations above a potential Kanto remake.

Not to mention that new generations generally take longer to develop, and they still had job ads out this year.

Then, you know, maybe they shouldn't have started this late.

Pokemon go is pointless now

If anything releasing gen 4 Pokemon in go near d/p remakes makes sense

But game is free on hardware that everyone has a mobile phone

I'm guessing 2018 will be a gap year, although I can see June 2018 being the next time we hear about the games (via interview, official reveal, etc)

They like having the games out for that holiday sales period, but I feel like if they're pressured into a late 2018 release the games are just gonna be a mess. On the flipslide though, I don't see Nintendo letting GF wait till holiday 2019, so an early 2019 makes sense to me. I feel like the games have been in development longer than we think (although that doesn't explain the fact that they were hiring for the project just months ago) so idk

the way nintendo listed pokemon switch as "2018 or later" makes it seem like they really want gen 8 out by then, but don't know if it can happen 100%.

The point is that they did start this year and yet are considering a 2018 release. So maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't be taking anything for granted.

Remakes would be too underwhelming, though. Sequels are another story, especially if new Pokemon are involved (they have always been a bigger factor than new regions).

I can't see this being anything other than 8th gen. A new generation simply makes the most sense from a marketing and sales standpoint that I can't see them ever breaking from that pattern. It's just much easier for them to sell Switches to Pokemon fans with an original concept designed around the hardware. For one, everything is new which makes the marketing much easier. But more importantly, it's easier to show off how much of an improvement the system is by designing a game entirely around the hardware instead of trying to rework an older game. Especially when you look at this in terms of the size and scale of the game which is one of the biggest changes from the jump to consoles, you're going to have a much harder time conveying larger, console scale regions by overhauling an old region than a completely new one. In other words, it's going to be more difficult to make Kanto or Sinnoh feel like BotW or Odyssey than a new region designed like BotW or Odyssey.

Good luck with the "BotW or Odyssey" part. It is not as if Masuda and Ohmori told us not to expect that or anything.
Don't think people realized why botw was made. It's because skyward arrow flopped and they wanted to bring back interest to zelda

I'm wondering if the fact that USUM have only added one mythical implies that 2018 is a very serious possibility for the Switch debut. The last two generations had enough mythicals for their entire run, even with Mega Mewtwo Y and Magearna sharing the spotlight in 2013 and 2016, respectively.

I'm wondering if the fact that USUM have only added one mythical implies that 2018 is a very serious possibility for the Switch debut. The last two generations had enough mythicals for their entire run, even with Mega Mewtwo Y and Magearna sharing the spotlight in 2013 and 2016, respectively.
They could always do Lucario and zoroack type movie

They can do whatever they want, although I can't imagine a Lucario expie showing up a year after you-know-who. I'm just wondering why they didn't go for the safe route.

Good luck with the "BotW or Odyssey" part. It is not as if Masuda and Ohmori told us not to expect that or anything.

Any kind of console scale overworld is going to require the same overhaul. Doesn't matter if it's BotW or Odyssey or Mario 64 or OoT.

How are those examples the "same overhaul"? And you can address your point to Game Freak; I'm only the messenger.

Back
Top Bottom