• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
This is clearly and completely false BS, and I'm pretty sure it's been explained before. The Switch game announcement was planned before USUM were even announced. It had absolutely nothing to do with backlash. It was scripted weeks in advance. They don't just plan, write, script, reschedule, and film a whole new segment days before E3.
Where's your source on that?

I thought we found out about the switch game from Nintendo's annual financial statement?

Nope, it was announced during E3 by Ishihara:

Pokemon Switch Announcement Starring Tsunekazu Ishihara - E3 2017: Nintendo Spotlight - YouTube

As far as the "backlash" goes, I recall Joe Merrick on his Twitter even saying that it was a load of BS. Fans had made it up to justify their complaining about USUM being announced instead of Stars and spread it around like it was factual.

I don't know if it's been suggested or not, but what if the Pokemon Switch game isn't the start of a new Generation, but still a part of Gen 7?

While this is interesting, keep in mind Generation 7 "origin marks" were 4: Sun, Moon, Ultrasun, Ultramoon (+ VC ones, making a total of 7)
So unless these hypothetically new Generation 7 games can't connect with 3DS games it shouldn't be possible.

While this is interesting, keep in mind Generation 7 "origin marks" were 4: Sun, Moon, Ultrasun, Ultramoon (+ VC ones, making a total of 7)
So unless these hypothetically new Generation 7 games can't connect with 3DS games it shouldn't be possible.
Yep. This confirms that these next games are Generation 8.

Yep. This confirms that these next games are Generation 8.

No, it doesn't. Well, depending on how you define "generation." The difference has admittedly been getting slightly thinner these last couple gens. "Gen 8" could, potentially, be about anything. They could be a traditional new generation (as I assume you're suggesting-new engine, new pokemon, new region, etc.), they could be remakes/sequels that use the Gen 7 engine and just include new forms and such with some other significant content additions and lack of backwards communication, etc. etc.

Besides that, the "origin marks" could always be updated and patched. Or, even more likely, the Switch games can't directly communicate with 3DS Gen 7 games, at least not in the backwards direction.

No, it doesn't. Well, depending on how you define "generation." The difference has admittedly been getting slightly thinner these last couple gens. "Gen 8" could, potentially, be about anything. They could be a traditional new generation (as I assume you're suggesting-new engine, new pokemon, new region, etc.), they could be remakes/sequels that use the Gen 7 engine and just include new forms and such with some other significant content additions and lack of backwards communication, etc. etc.

Besides that, the "origin marks" could always be updated and patched. Or, even more likely, the Switch games can't directly communicate with 3DS Gen 7 games, at least not in the backwards direction.
This is ridiculous. There is no way that this will happen. The Switch games are for sure Gen 8.

This is ridiculous. There is no way that this will happen. The Switch games are for sure Gen 8.

It's not ridiculous. The Switch may even completely reevaluate what generations and generational gaps are for the games. It could just be Kanto with nothing new on the back of Gen 7, it could be Ultra Sun/Moon ports, it could be Sinnoh remakes on the back of Gen 7. It COULD also be Gen 8, but trust me, it's not worth shooting down others opinions just to make yours seem more substantial. No one is right or wrong, it's simply speculation. Believe me, I learnt the hard way and it's not worth it, just agree to disagree.

It's not ridiculous. The Switch may even completely reevaluate what generations and generational gaps are for the games. It could just be Kanto with nothing new on the back of Gen 7, it could be Ultra Sun/Moon ports, it could be Sinnoh remakes on the back of Gen 7. It COULD also be Gen 8, but trust me, it's not worth shooting down others opinions just to make yours seem more substantial. No one is right or wrong, it's simply speculation. Believe me, I learnt the hard way and it's not worth it, just agree to disagree.
Just because its a new system does not mean that they have to change everything. The Switch game is most likely Gen 8.

I really don’t think we should be talking so surely now. I think Generation 8 is most likely, with Kanto sequels being just behind.

We will most likely see some change in the battle system, since pretty much every leak has mentioned it. I think the system will remain turn based, since that’s the very core of the game. Any real time fighting and button mashing might make it too similar to Pokken, and at the same time will mean a LOT of work for Gamefreak- reconfiguring stats, figuring out stats in transfer from Gen 7 to the new games, changing effects of moves and so on. Since Gamefreak seems to be on a deadline, I cannot see such massive change happening. This is before considering that the competitive players might be alienated, and Pokemon with specific nitches/gimmicks might become obsolete.

I think the January direct will mention at least something about Pokemon, and it will definitely help us speculate more accurately, but I don’t think anyone should be speaking so surely and/or narrow mindedy till the direct.

I really don’t think we should be talking so surely now. I think Generation 8 is most likely, with Kanto sequels being just behind.

We will most likely see some change in the battle system, since pretty much every leak has mentioned it. I think the system will remain turn based, since that’s the very core of the game. Any real time fighting and button mashing might make it too similar to Pokken, and at the same time will mean a LOT of work for Gamefreak- reconfiguring stats, figuring out stats in transfer from Gen 7 to the new games, changing effects of moves and so on. Since Gamefreak seems to be on a deadline, I cannot see such massive change happening. This is before considering that the competitive players might be alienated, and Pokemon with specific nitches/gimmicks might become obsolete.

I think the January direct will mention at least something about Pokemon, and it will definitely help us speculate more accurately, but I don’t think anyone should be speaking so surely and/or narrow mindedy till the direct.
i don't think the inclusion of a battle system change (which is fairly broad considering that something like Z Moves and Mega Evo are also changes to the battle system) in all the leaks necessarily means anything since well, the leaks could be fake. even further, without substantial changes to the Formula, there would be no reason to change the battle system.

I try to give everything I read or see the "Benefit of Doubt", but sometimes, like life, I get disappointed...

I believe that with Gen. 8 and beyond, there will be changes to the formula, the battle system, everything, and some of those changes might be big– Transition from 2-D Sprites to 3-D 'Avatars', while others could be small– Sandstorm changing from Ground type to Rock type, etc. ...

But until announcement of Gen. 8 or whatever for Switch, we can't be sure if there will be ANY major changes, unless we get confirmation of "Primal" or "Mega" Pokémon for the next games, etc.

Well the Nintendo event is still prolly the direct I imagine. I don't think they have anything coming up so that's gotta be it. Pokemon could still be in that I suppose.....Prolly not, but who knows? lol

Back
Top Bottom