• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
While it’s true that the reason for SM lag was pushing the ds limits I rather them not risk it on the switch.
Personally, I think the slow rendering on the 3DS games was due to high-polygon 3D models. I understand this is something of a necessity when you want to cel-shade curved surfaces properly, but there are many other games that did similar art styles in full 3D no lag.

A familiar region wouldn't need to be "built completely from the ground up". The template is already there and Game Freak wouldn't need to explore the real-life setting, especially when dealing with their home region.

Yes, it would. A basic template would be there, but that is it. They can't exactly update what they currently have, they would still have to physically create the entire region again. Plus, there would still be time dedicated to new concepts to update the region and add a lot more to it. The small amount of time saved by creating a Kanto or DP game rather than 'gen VIII' would likely not be enough to be released in 2018 without it being almost just as 'rushed' as Gen VIII would be..

While it's true that a Kanto remake would save some time, it wouldn't necessarily save enough time to guarantee the games wouldn't be rushed. The models for the region would have to be built from the ground up as there is no ready-made Kanto they can import. Even as a remake, the game would need some new features that would have to be designed and coded into the game, especially with the Switch offering new possibilities.

As an artist I would like to add that it's possible to work on multiple concept art projects at once so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gen VIII concept art began just as Alola was getting finalized, which might be before the SM games began production. USUM didn't need a big art team working on it. It's likely some ideas didn't make it to Alola (or other previous regions) but could be revisited for the new generation.

The need to visit and explore the real-life setting is a valid point, but I could also see Game Freak doing it during their vacation time. I always take photos and pick up ideas whenever I visit new places, even if I'm not working on something in particular during that time. It's good to build an idea bank beforehand so you don't have to go around looking for where to find ideas, inspiration and references. They don't necessarily use only the region's real-life counterpart for ideas. They can pull ideas from multiple places which they might have visited in the past.

Other things to add would be that some Kanto characters would be redesigned while new characters might be added. If it's a Kanto sequel, a new story would have to be created. Even if it's just a remake, new story elements and better characterization would be needed. Sometimes updating an old region can be challenging because it has to be refreshing but still familiar enough. Sometimes creating something new is easier because there are no restrictions. Whether it's a sequel or another remake, they would most certainly need to design and add new areas as well.

I don't disagree that a Kanto sequel/remake (not counting DP remakes as they are highly unlikely) would save time, but I think people may be overestimating how much time is saved. It really doesn't guarantee that a Kanto sequel in 2018 would not be rushed or that Gen VIII being released in 2018 would be a rushed mess. We'll have to wait and see.

The only thing that I think the main series lacks is the adventure aspect. Unfortunately, even this is many different things to different people. There are some that apparently believe simply getting to see the regions is an adventure.

I sure hope so. I imagine that the graphics will still be slightly improved on the Switch, but I hope that they don't go too overboard to where the battles lag horribly.

I realllllllly doubt it's going to be a problem. The 3DS games used high-poly compressed models, which means they were working overtime. The Switch is so much more capable than a 3DS. The amount of things happening at any given time in Mario Odyssey without lag is enough to queit any doubts. Same with Breath of the Wild.

The fun thing about the 3DS games being compressed is going to YouTube and watching people battle with Sun and Moon uncompressed. They're beautiful and well worth checking out if you haven't. Just search whatever pokemon you like and "HD" and you should be able to find a video somewhere. It's one of the things people worried about production time and rushing usually don't consider. They already have a LOT of work done for them. They really only need to update the skins.

Other things to add would be that some Kanto characters would be redesigned while new characters might be added. If it's a Kanto sequel, a new story would have to be created. Even if it's just a remake, new story elements and better characterization would be needed. Sometimes updating an old region can be challenging because it has to be refreshing but still familiar enough. Sometimes creating something new is easier because there are no restrictions. Whether it's a sequel or another remake, they would most certainly need to design and add new areas as well.

The bolded point is key, because that's probably the biggest reason why new hardware has always started with new generations and I doubt that pattern will ever change. Because a new region is completely built from the ground up, it's the easiest way to show what the new hardware is capable of. New generations are just ideal for marketing, so I can't see them doing this any other way.

The only thing that I think the main series lacks is the adventure aspect. Unfortunately, even this is many different things to different people. There are some that apparently believe simply getting to see the regions is an adventure.
I would like an adventure where I can't just look up my destination on a map. In fact, having the map at all tends to make the game world feel smaller simply because (by definition) it lets you view the region at the largest scale possible.

I agree that showcasing a new region is the best way to showcase a new console... usually.

However, I think Kanto is the exception to the rule. I think that if the beginning of a new Gen on the Switch is a Kanto sequel, it will sell even better than a new region.

Why? Because of how iconic Kanto is. Especially among casuals, people who just played Gen I (and maybe II) and left the franchise when the fad ended. A lot of those people were likely thinking "man, I sure wanna play this game on a TV screen in better graphics".

Surely those guys would be more attracted to a region and Pokemon they are loosely aware of, than something completely unfamiliar for them. I also think it is a bit too soon for a new region, since Alola has lasted only 2 years sofar. I doubt the Switch Pokemon game is gonna be released any earlier than 2019, and even then I think a Kanto sequel would be the best option.

Last edited:
I dunno. Go had a massive explosion without that, and just from the prospect of real life Pokemon. Otherwise, I have one question to ask: Did FR/LG bring back the craze? As far as I remember, it didn't. Did HG/SS? I think we saw larger numbers, but not an explosion.

Why? Because of how iconic Kanto is. Especially among casuals, people who just played Gen I (and maybe II) and left the franchise when the fad ended. A pot of those people were likely thinking "man, I sure wanna play this game on a TV screen in better graphics".

I'm pretty sure FRLG sold less than RSE... and graphics were better for that period. Ditto for HGSS and DPPt.

FRLG was basically just the same game. There was nothing excited added really (except the Sevii Islands, which are not even part of Kanto itself).
HGSS wasn´t even focused on Kanto, it is mainly a Johto game. Kanto is only postgame.

What part of Kanto SEQUEL are you guys failing to grasp? It would be a new generation, with new Pokemon and brand New characters, gym leaders, villains, etc.

Last edited:
The small amount of time saved by creating a Kanto or DP game rather than 'gen VIII' would likely not be enough to be released in 2018 without it being almost just as 'rushed' as Gen VIII would be..
I don't know how small a difference it is, and neither do you. What I can imagine is that the idea of revisiting Kanto - via sequels - has been in the back of Game Freak's minds for longer than the Switch has. So a lot of the conceptual planning may have been accounted for long ago, which is more than I can say for Spain/Italy/whatever.

They spent as much time on conceptual planning as on actual development for Black and White.

And how would you explain the sudden appearance of a ton of new species in a region we already know within the interim of 15 years or however long it's been since Red's journey?

And how would you explain the sudden appearance of a ton of new species in a region we already know within the interim of 15 years or however long it's been since Red's journey?
Different dimension? post game areas? Cmon ORAS did it with mirage spots. HGSS did it with radio. It can be done. That's not the problem. Also it is not like every pokemon has to be available? They can do mostly gen 1 and 2 pokemon for the main story ( and new pokemon if they introduce any ) and leave some for post game. Remaining pokemon can be available in the next Gen 8 games. Most likely DP remakes.

What part of Kanto SEQUEL are you guys failing to grasp?
We do NOT know the extent of changes GameFreak are willing to make. It could end up simply being 3D FRLG with a few new forms for all we know.

It would be a new generation,
Er... the very definition of a new generation right now consists of a new region, and starters. Kanto isn’t a new region, and someone thinks that Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and Pikachu are being replaced in their home region, they're being delusional.

with new Pokemon
We really cannot be sure on that. UBs in USUM were a special case since they can be explained very simply. (Ultra Space wasn’t fully explored). I'm not sure how will they explain the appearance of a new regional bird or another rodent.

gym leaders, villains, etc.
Misty, Brock (anime), Erica (M20), Lt. Surge (Alolan Gym seems to be a copy of Vermillion gym, implying that it, and most likely surge still exists) at the very least seem to be confirmed, and they're half the gym leaders. Giovanni and rainbow Rocket will be the most probable villains.

3D Kanto is exciting, but it'll definitely sell less than a new generation. From a pure sales perspective, new region is much more profitable.

I would say if they go back to Kanto it'll be a reboot of some sort. A brand new story that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Red. It could be at a nondescript time meaning it could very well be a technical sequel for the original or it could be its own thing. Either way works. Plus that would explain why there are Pokemon that wouldn't normally be in Kanto

I would say if they go back to Kanto it'll be a reboot of some sort. A brand new story that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Red. It could be at a nondescript time meaning it could very well be a technical sequel for the original or it could be its own thing. Either way works. Plus that would explain why there are Pokemon that wouldn't normally be in Kanto

Seeing how GameFreak was hyping up redesigned Red/Blue during SM promotions, any Kanto sequels will most probably reference them. I personally expect them to occur after the events of USUM, Seeing the rainbow Rocket ending.
I don’t think GameFreak will reboot to such an extent that new species appear in a region. I expect them to do at most Kantonian forms for Gen 3, 4, and 5 Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom