• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
The thing about that is...RPGs in general are not exactly the most popular genre, and I doubt Gamefreak even understand why Action RPGs are so popular since they're so fundamentally Japanese. If we want Pokemon to be like other RPGs, though, I question why any of us are here because there's no chance of that, and if it did, the Pokemon hardcores will destroy us. We cannot win.

The thing about that is...RPGs in general are not exactly the most popular genre, and I doubt Gamefreak even understand why Action RPGs are so popular since they're so fundamentally Japanese. If we want Pokemon to be like other RPGs, though, I question why any of us are here because there's no chance of that, and if it did, the Pokemon hardcores will destroy us. We cannot win.

Again, it has nothing to do with the genre. BotW and Odyssey have elements of a variety of different genres in their gameplay style (even though they have one primary gameplay style). The issue is a matter of design philosophy. What Game Freak needs to understand is that there are different groups of gamers that enjoy different aspects of the gameplay and play the game in different ways and create a flexible gameplay style that allows for players to experience the game the way they want. You can apply that sort of design philosophy to just about any genre, and RPG is no exception.

You really think the hardcores will allow the game to have any structure other than x amount of elemental battles and a league and become the champion? I seriously doubt Gamefreak knows how to do anything other than that.

What Game Freak needs to understand is that there are different groups of gamers that enjoy different aspects of the gameplay and play the game in different ways and create a flexible gameplay style that allows for players to experience the game the way they want. You can apply that sort of design philosophy to just about any genre, and RPG is no exception.
or perhaps you need to understand that maybe Game Freak has already picked out what kind of gamers it wants to cater to and you, well, are not included.

You really think the hardcores will allow the game to have any structure other than x amount of elemental battles and a league and become the champion? I seriously doubt Gamefreak knows how to do anything other than that.

They don't need to change up the gym structure to really accomplish that. All they need to do is ease up on the sheer amount of scripting and add in more extra content. In other words, do the opposite of what they did with SM.

So the people that don't want to battle are not included? Interesting.

Note: I will battle if it has a purpose. I don't find the league to be a valid purpose.

I don't think that any Pokemon game needs more than two years of development once the conceptual design is out of the way, and as said, it is easier to see how that stage (which usually takes a year) could have taken place around the 20th anniversary if Kanto sequels are involved.

And I am not talking just about Pokemon and characters, but also the map, story and major new features.

The story and new features would work in my favour for my argument, because a new Kanto game would require an all new story, and being the first games on Switch, would likely introduce new features as well. As for the map, new concepts would need to be designed as well, since the latest Kanto map they could go from is HGSS. Obviously, Switch Kanto is going to be so much more upgraded and detailed, so concepts of that is going to be necessary even despite the fact they have a basic map to go on. Realistically, A new Kanto game on Switch is still going to require almost as much concept work as Gen VIII, minus the concepts for new Pokémon.

This is why I personally believe that it makes little sense for people here to automatically assume that Gen VIII being released this year will be considered being 'rushed' while those same people believe it is perfectly plausible for a great Kanto game to be released this year and think it possible that it wouldn't be rushed at all. Almost the same amount of work is going to be required either way.

Last edited:
The story and new features would work in my favour for my argument, because a new Kanto game would require an all new story, and being the first games on Switch, would likely introduce new features as well. As for the map, new concepts would need to be designed as well, since the latest Kanto map they could go from is HGSS. Obviously, Switch Kanto is going to be so much more upgraded and detailed, so concepts of that is going to be necessary even despite the fact they have a basic map to go on. Realistically, A new Kanto game on Switch is still going to require almost as much concept work as Gen VIII, minus the concepts for new Pokémon.

This is why I personally believe that it makes little sense for people here to automatically assume that Gen VIII being released this year will be considered being 'rushed' while those same people believe it is perfectly plausible for a great Kanto game to be released this year and think it possible that it wouldn't be rushed at all. Almost the same amount of work is going to be required either way.
I don't think that a new Kanto game is happening. The original games already came out for VC and it won't appeal to new players like a new gen would.

I think we all need to calm down and forget this thing is coming to the Switch and treat it like it was any other release.

At any rate, until Game Freak realizes this they're going to have a hard time finding the success that BotW and Odyssey did.

yeah.. but pokemon for switch is gonna outsell both

Let's see...BOTW was 4.7 mil. Yeah, all 7 gens have had their initial versions sell for more than that by far. Even Crystal has more than that at 6.4 mil. I can't find the figures for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, but they were at least 2 mil, which was more than Odyssey.

Last edited:
A similar discussion got brought up in another thread. (can't recall which one at this time) SuMo made it to the top 50 best-selling games of all time, with 15.9 million sales. ( List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia ) No, not everyone who has SuMo is going to get Pokemon on the Switch, but the fact is, they're already reaching a market larger than anything on the Switch. It's silly to say that BOTW and Odyssey are "succeeding where Pokemon failed" or "reaching a wider audience". Pokemon has already got an audience bigger than the two of them put together.

I'm not against adding new forms of gameplay-I'd be quite excited for them myself-but to say that Pokemon needs to change to keep up is simply not true. The opinion of your favorite gaming news site isn't everything.

I'm not against adding new forms of gameplay-I'd be quite excited for them myself-but to say that Pokemon needs to change to keep up is simply not true. The opinion of your favorite gaming news site isn't everything.
And people act like the series doesn't already change to keep up. I'd like to note that the series has already made disruptive changes such as the island challenge, Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, etc., so we need to bear in mind that if the next games make changes similar to the ones listed, they're still disruptive even if they didn't implement the changes you might want, such as open world or real-time battles.

Last edited:
Hi! Sorry for dropping in the middle of this conversation out of nowhere, but I'll just say that since Generation VI gave use Mega Evolutions and Generation VII gave us Z-Moves and Alolan Forms, it wouldn't be too wild of a guess to say that Generation VIII would give us something similar, perhaps something that's only possible on Switch.

Also, since I just dropped in here and don't know all the stuff already discussed here, has anyone heard of the evidence that supports the idea of the next region being based on Spain?

I don't think that a new Kanto game is happening. The original games already came out for VC and it won't appeal to new players like a new gen would.

I am aware of your opinion, you've mentioned it several times. However, it has nothing to do with my argument. My argument is not based on how likely a new game set in Kanto is.

I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that a Kanto game wouldn't appeal to new players. How could you possibly know that? New players are, obviously, new to the franchise. They'll have little knowledge on the games, so what difference does it make to them if they first start playing a game set in Kanto, or a game set in a new region? There is no difference to them.

I am aware of your opinion, you've mentioned it several times. However, it has nothing to do with my argument. My argument is not based on how likely a new game set in Kanto is.

I'm also not sure how you came to the conclusion that a Kanto game wouldn't appeal to new players. How could you possibly know that? New players are, obviously, new to the franchise. They'll have little knowledge on the games, so what difference does it make to them if they first start playing a game set in Kanto, or a game set in a new region? There is no difference to them.
Don't underestimate the amount of Genwunners.
They may not appear on "real" Pokemon forums, but Pokemon GO has proved how numerous these "inferior" Pokemon fans are.

With Switch geared more towards adults than kids, Kanto attracts these grown up Genwunners.
Way more than any random kid who decides to try Pokemon.

Don't underestimate the amount of Genwunners.
They may not appear on "real" Pokemon forums, but Pokemon GO has proved how numerous these "inferior" Pokemon fans are.

With Switch geared more towards adults than kids, Kanto attracts these grown up Genwunners.
Way more than any random kid who decides to try Pokemon.

All of that further disproves Riley's theory. It also does nothing to my argument, as it was regarding new players, not ex players (genwunners).

My point is that most of these are probably your average Joe who want to try the latest big thing and are probably not in the market for a $300 gaming console.

Can we please stop assuming that the GO folks are going to buy a console game? The demographics are WAY different. The go craze is dying now. And GO is a free to use app. Some downloaded it just to join the craze, and others (most) are casual Pokemon fans who do not care much about the franchise except 'Ah Cool. This is what we watched when we were younger'.

How many of those people do you expect to go and buy a $300 console and a $60 game? Majority of the users are playing GO for free, and may not be 'hardcore' enough to purchase a Switch.

I think you guys are seriously overestimating the effect Pokemon Go is going to have on sales. Go is a freemium app, and for Pokemon Switch the players are going to require massive investment compared to that. And the players may not be 'hardcore' enough to purchase an entire console.

I could see the unlikely event where the switch (pun intended) to a new console happens mid-generation, and maybe Gen 7 isn't done with quite yet, I could also see this being the bridge to Gen 8. Bare with me as I explain.

So let's say we get Sinnoh OR Kanto remakes on the Switch, but with no new Gen 8 Pokemon (or maybe just a couple in the code as teasers), but these games are, by all rights, still Gen 7 games. They trade and battle directly with the 3DS games, and besides aesthetics, offer no new real mechanics compared to Gen 7 games out for the 3DS, BUT, when Gen 8 comes out on the Switch, the only way to get Pokemon to there is to have gotten those Gen 7 games for the Switch, as a compatibility bridge. I'm sure they could just rig Pokemon Bank up to allow transferring from the 3DS to the Switch, but maybe not, and only by trading up to the Switch can they then be banked on the Switch's version of Pokemon Bank, to then allow you to move them up to Gen 8.

Also, never rule out Kanto, new console, Pokemon GO got the attention of a lot of older fans, the Switch is a higher-end, upscale console in terms of price, this is no DS Lite or 2DS, you could see them do something totally as fan service, like a Yellow remake.

Imagine playing as Red, starting with Pikachu, but with Megas, HD graphics, a slightly revamped story, like the one portrayed in Origins, and maybe with Johto visitable post-game, now THAT would be a game of legends, something you couldn't even see them doing because of how good it sounds, but don't rule it out.

Gen 7 just feels too short for me, I was very much expecting Kanto remakes this Gen, since FRLG only came out a year after RS, I thought FRLG would be next in line for remakes, despite DP being the most talked about, and everyone says "Why would they remake a remake? They've never done that." Well clearly that's because that opportunity is just now arriving for them, it's new territory, there's no past patterns to go off of, the Kanto region's story is the only one unplayable on the 3DS barring VC releases, which in my opinion do not fill a suitable gap there is, where you can play DPPl, HGSS, ORAS, XY, and USUM all on the 3DS, but not any Kanto game. If DP remakes come out first, that'll mean that, despite Sinnoh coming out after the last time we saw a Kanto game, they'll have a remake before Kanto which just won't feel right, and if VC is the new permanent answer to remakes, they'd just port DP over too, but that wouldn't feel right.

Also, the Switch has one screen, DP were the first games on the DS and made heavy use out of the second screen, it just feels more appropriate for a Kanto game to be our return to a one screen console. Also, TECHNICALLY, Yellow never was remade, Red and Blue/Green were as FRLG, and unlike HGSS and ORAS, which had elements of Crystal and Emerald respectively, FRLG actually had absolutely no elements taken from Yellow.

I'll be that one guy that pushes for a Yellow remake, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom