• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
So RS count but DP don't? Okay. I don't see how the localization delay is relevant.

And just for the record, DP were never delayed as nothing suggested a 2005 release date; fans merely jumped to that conclusion. This time 2018 is strongly implied by a PR guy and even Ishihara to an extent, but we don't know that we're dealing with a new generation.

It doesn't count because back then the games were released in Japan before anywhere else. It's not like now, when the games are launched simultaneously.
Well yeah, That was back then, some of pokemon game been release at the same release date depending on what region you're in. TBh, I don't know how TPCi and GF would do this. But they never done a Mid-Generation New System release before.
So RS count but DP don't? Okay. I don't see how the localization delay is relevant.

And just for the record, DP were never delayed as nothing suggested a 2005 release date; fans merely jumped to conclusion. This time 2018 is strongly implied by a PR guy and even Ishihara to an extent, but we don't know that we're dealing with a new generation.
Except It's not a New Generation, Tbh, I don't know if they'll Switch game in the Mid-Gen, Unless they wanted to change it up, by taking a test drive on Switch before moving to Gen VIII.

Uh, except DP was launched in 2006 in Japan, while the DS was launched there in late 2004. RS was launched in 2002 in Japan, while the GBA was launched there in 2001. The "localization delay" doesn't count, since with the last six paired versions it either didn't happen (XY) or were a week (ORAS and SuMo), unlike the longer ones that took a few months since the initial launch of the game.

They could either change their strategy by rushing the next generation or doing something less predictable for once. Either way, 2018 seems to be their goal.

Guzama said:
Uh, except DP was launched in 2006 in Japan, while the DS was launched there in late 2004. RS was launched in 2002 in Japan, while the GBA was launched there in 2001.
You really need to do the math beyond the years.

March 2001 to November 2002=20 months

Early December 2004 to late September 2006=22 months

So the difference is minor. Either way, this time the plan seems to be the same as the GBA case, regardless of what the games are.

You really need to do the math beyond the years.

March 2001 to November 2002=20 months

Early December 2004 to late September 2006=22 months

So the difference is minor. Either way, this time the plan seems to be the same as the GBA case, regardless of what the games are.
Okay, I can understand now. However, IIRC, the 2018 announcement was something NoA said; NoJ, GF and TPC haven't said anything to back it up. NoA might know something we don't, but it could also be meaningless PR.

I wouldn't object to 2018, admittedly, as long as it isn't another XY, where it feels rushed. I'm not sure whether to say XY were rushed now given they were started in at some point in 2010 and released in 2013, since three years seems to be a "normal" time frame; one can assume development on SuMo started in 2013 given the very early reference to it in XY. I'm assuming development for Pokémon Switch started either late last year or sometime this year (judging by GF wanting to hire HD modelers). It generally takes 2-3 years to develop a Pokémon game, so that's why I'm assuming 2019. 2018 would be nice, admittedly, and going by the release windows of Gen III and IV that you stated, it would make sense.

If they did release Gen VIII in 2018, I probably won't agree with it, but I wouldn't mind it, as long as if as the game don't feel rushed, who knows if they mess up in Gen VIII, they probably fix it with third game, sequel, or alternate version like they did with RB, GS, RS, DP, and BW

They still never really fixed RB, to be honest. Both Japanese Blue and Yellow didn't really fix any of RG's issues aside from bad sprites, and FRLG were pretty bare-bones in hindsight compared to the more dramatic revamping HGSS and ORAS did, and unlike HGSS and ORAS, they still didn't fix many of the issues Gen I had; they didn't fix the OP nature of Psychic since there weren't any Dark-types until the postgame, the only Ghost-types were at a type disadvantage against Psychic, and there weren't many good Bug-type moves (aside from Megahorn and Signal Beam, which none of the Bug-types in FRLG's main game got since Heracross wasn't available until the Sevii Islands and Venomoth only got Signal Beam starting in Gen IV) until Gen IV.

And yes, I'm still sore about them not allowing cross-generational evolutions or trading between FRLG and RSE until beating the game. I am so glad they did away with that for HGSS and ORAS.

Sounds like a good reason for the next games being Kanto sequels, then.

And ugh at the idea that it's fine to rush the next generation if it gets a refined version later.

Considering they said they want to release it in 2018, I expect they probably will. Releasing it in 2018, while not mandatory, is likely vital. I don't think they can afford any later if they want to successfully support the Switch and sell both games and units for the 2018 Holiday season. Spring 2019 sounds like the absolute latest, considering their Fall 2018 target, but it would be a less impactful and worse-timed release.

Sounds like a good reason for the next games being Kanto sequels, then.

And ugh at the idea that it's fine to rush the next generation if it gets a refined version later.

Agreed. I hate the idea of them rushing Gen VIII. They need to take their time and make it good for 2020.

They might decide to wait until February 27th 2019, but it would be rather silly unless they really needed the extra 3 months.

Considering they said they want to release it in 2018, I expect they probably will. Releasing it in 2018, while not mandatory, is likely vital. I don't think they can afford any later if they want to successfully support the Switch and sell both games and units for the 2018 Holiday season. Spring 2019 sounds like the absolute latest, considering their Fall 2018 target, but it would be a less impactful and worse-timed release.

Agreed. I hate the idea of them rushing Gen VIII. They need to take their time and make it good for 2020.

I honestly am not sure when the next games will release, but I do believe they could do a spring 19 release. It would still place a majority of the sales within Nintendo's fiscal year which I think is an important factor. Especially, if there is still hesitant AAA support within the switch's 2nd year.

How would you guys feel if they went back to using sprites in the Switch game?

I don't think it would work. 1) they've already created like 1000 pokemon models (I'm including forms), 2) current/hd 3d models lend themselves better to tvs than pixel art (which they'd have to consider since this is first mainseries game to be developed for both handheld and tv)

Surely it has to be the next generation in 2018. There is no remaining event mythical to give away, and apparently M20 doesn't even have a preview for the next movie.

I can imagine the movie having Solgaleo and Lunala or something to do with USUM and a new mythical in which can then be obtained in the Gen 8 game in Autumn.

Gen 7 was basically a filler generation in my eyes, the first genuine filler generation. Not to mention the anime is going nowhere fast.

Basically impossible. Once Fall 2018 comes around (and that is when GF and their PR stated they wanted the Pokemon Switch game to release) they could have no more than 2 years of development.

Reminder: New HD console, new HD engine, and XY took 3 years on a lower level engine and still felt rushed.

It just isn't feasible.

Basically impossible. Once Fall 2018 comes around (and that is when GF and their PR stated they wanted the Pokemon Switch game to release) they could have no more than 2 years of development.

Reminder: New HD console, new HD engine, and XY took 3 years on a lower level engine and still felt rushed.

It just isn't feasible.

It's quite likely they were working on the game for the switch before the switch was actually released.

Except they only recently hired people with expertise on HD development. Most of the company have never touched a home console.

And no, it is quite unlikely that they simultaneously worked on two pairs of initival versions. That has never happened before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom