• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
These two statements are totally contradictory given that the Pokemon Switch game is expected to release in late 2018. Which is exactly (among other reasons) why I don't think that the 2018 game could ever be Gen VIII.
Even if it's not 2018, 2019 is then very likely.

I really hope and doubt that its not a sequel for Kanto. Kanto already has a sequel in Gold and Silver. If there was a game that deserved a sequel, its X and Y. But seriously, its probably going to be Generation 8, Since it would give the most profit and interest when compared to a Sinnoh Remake.

I really hope and doubt that its not a sequel for Kanto. Kanto already has a sequel in Gold and Silver. If there was a game that deserved a sequel, its X and Y. But seriously, its probably going to be Generation 8, Since it would give the most profit and interest when compared to a Sinnoh Remake.
Even if Gold and Silver are sequels to Kanto, they didn't flesh out Kanto very well. What we want is a fully fleshed out and upgraded Kanto which hasn't happened at all so far. LGFR didn't flesh out Kanto either.

Even if Gold and Silver are sequels to Kanto, they didn't flesh out Kanto very well. What we want is a fully fleshed out and upgraded Kanto which hasn't happened at all so far. LGFR didn't flesh out Kanto either.

Yeah, even though Kanto reappeared in GSCHGSS it really didn't get the BW2 treatment with a fleshed out region or storyline. Hell, Kanto hasn't even had the HGSS/ORAS treatment. Every game it's reappeared in has either been a copy/paste or a regression, they've never truly expanded on it in the way that most regions were with their successive versions.

Kanto desperately needs a boost. I like Kanto, but I admit it's solely based on nostalgia since it's such a bland region compared to later Gens. As much as I like Team Rocket from the games, they aren't even half as good as Team Plasma or Team Skull. Hell, most of my fondness for Team Rocket isn't even derived from the games, since I find the TRio from the anime more entertaining than any of the Team Rocket-related characters in the games.

Even if it's not 2018, 2019 is then very likely.

You're still missing the point of the problem though. There is practically no way that it could be Gen VIII due to development time restraints. XY alone took 3 whole years to develop, and they weren't on a much higher powered HD engine for an HD console--rather, a relatively basic 3D engine for a pure handheld. Gen VIII couldn't have even started development until 2016 because of:
1. Sun/Moon being completed.
2. More noticeably: Switch dev kits.

Which means by late 2018 (which GF and Nintendo have said repeatedly, both in the initial announcement and by PR afterwards--whether they make that date or not, it is a date they feel confident enough in to tell us this year), they could've only been in development for 2.5 years at most. And since it's a more powerful HD console, it would definitely take longer to develop than XY, so more likely 3.5-4 years. Not a chance they could even consider 2018, much less tell us to hopefully expect it then.

Nothing else drives my belief in the 2018 Switch game not being Gen VIII more than this. We can argue all we want about which region needs to be visited, what kind of game would sell best, that Gen VII would be cut too short, what we prefer as fans, and so on into the sunset. But this small of a development window is simply not feasible.

These two statements are totally contradictory given that the Pokemon Switch game is expected to release in late 2018. Which is exactly (among other reasons) why I don't think that the 2018 game could ever be Gen VIII.
Did Ohmori (or whoever) say late 2018 or later than 2018?

Yeah, I can't say I understand where all of this straight-up expectation for a Kanto sequel has come from. Here, we've been having Gen I pandering left and right, and now people want more, and then even expect more. People talk like this is expected right up there with the standard remakes pattern we've been getting. I don't know where this expectation has come from? Is there something that Gamefreak has said, or are people just speculating?

I can't say I wouldn't love to see Kanto completely reimagined in an HD Switch format, but honestly, I could say the same for Kalos. I'd rather see Kalos, actually. It's a much more interesting region.

And gosh darn it, if they bring back Kanto, they better bring back Leaf.

Did Ohmori (or whoever) say late 2018 or later than 2018?
I'm not sure. I know Ishihara stated that the Switch game would take more than a year (from June which could technically be in 2018), and that Scibetta from NoA did an interview and stated that "next year we have some big games coming with Metroid 4" and "2018 will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, and a new Pokemon game." Although it was later clarified that he meant "2018 and beyond." These are the only "indications" that I have heard.

Yeah, I can't say I understand where all of this straight-up expectation for a Kanto sequel has come from. Here, we've been having Gen I pandering left and right, and now people want more, and then even expect more. People talk like this is expected right up there with the standard remakes pattern we've been getting. I don't know where this expectation has come from? Is there something that Gamefreak has said, or are people just speculating?

I can't say I wouldn't love to see Kanto completely reimagined in an HD Switch format, but honestly, I could say the same for Kalos. I'd rather see Kalos, actually. It's a much more interesting region.

And gosh darn it, if they bring back Kanto, they better bring back Leaf.

From my understanding of what other forum members have said, I think there is an expectation but it is based on speculation. The basis, as I understand it, is that:

1) there is nostalgic high point within the community (Pokemon Go/Sales of Sun and moon as evidence)
2) tPCi is too early in development to competently bring a new generation by 2018 (only recently highered wiiu/psvita level modelers and additional staff in May / nothing shown with the E3 announcement)
3) tPCi would have an easier time having b-team work on a Kanto game as the first switch game using an upres Gen VII engine on switch. It would allow tPCi to get acquainted with the system and give them more time to produce a good Gen VIII game
4) hints: Lillie going to kanto, inability to get Gen VII plus sign kanto-version of pokemon like raichu
5) a new kanto game (sequel specifically) would allow them to flesh out the region and cash in on nostalga

This is a brief understanding from what I have gotten from some members among various threads. I'm sure some of the other forum members can explain it better. I personally don't know about the probability of a Kanto game, as it is unprecedented for a new system (handheld i guess) to not start with a new generation. At the same time a 2018 game would make Gen VII a two year generation which is also un precedented. I think the most likely option is a break year in 2018 and switch games in 2019. I think the next most likely event would be kanto games that is before sinnoh games as the first switch games.

Here's an idea: Professor Leaf.

DUDE. Sold.

I'm really hecking sold on that. Professor Leaf would even line up perfectly with the tradition of professors being named after plants. God please yes.

The Switch game currently in development has not officially been stated to be "expected" to be released at anytime yet. All the information we have is "It will probably take more than a year." While 2018 is a possibility, nobody should be assuming anything yet. As of now, "probably more than a year" is just as likely to be 2019 as it is 2018, unless I've missed updated information.

XY alone took 3 whole years to develop, and they weren't on a much higher powered HD engine for an HD console.

And since it's a more powerful HD console, it would definitely take longer to develop than XY, so more likely 3.5-4 years.
That's not necessarily true. The simple answer is to make a sufficient expansion in their staff to accommodate HD development. If Game Freak waits until holiday 2020, all it means is they were highly stingy with their money when they had the complete ability to hire enough people to make the 2019 (or 2018) goal.

So the next year's movie was announced but they said nothing, no real teaser, no confirmation of who's starring. This sounds very much like it's 8th gen related. So either it's full on 8th gen or it's an 8th/9th/13th movie scenario where it's 7th gen but it's focused on an 8th gen Pokemon. Either way, this does look like they're getting ready to move on to 8th gen.

That's not necessarily true. The simple answer is to make a sufficient expansion in their staff to accommodate HD development. If Game Freak waits until holiday 2020, all it means is they were highly stingy with their money when they had the complete ability to hire enough people to make the 2019 (or 2018) goal.

Which may be exactly what they're doing. They have been expanding their staff a lot lately. What else could that be for but 8th gen?

And yeah, releasing 8th gen in 2020 would just make them look bad. The fanbase expects totally new content fairly early to really drive interest and sales, so coming into a new generation late would disincentivize Pokemon fans from buying a Switch. Look at what happened with BotW on the Wii U, many Nintendo fans were holding out waiting for BotW to buy into the Wii U and in the end it came out too late to help the Wii U and they ignored it. The same thing would happen with 8th gen in 2020, by that point the Switch will be old news and we'll probably be thinking about the Switch's successor.

So yeah, they need to expand their staff, definitely, but the other issue is that they just need to start working on the games earlier. If the fanbase expects 8th gen by 2018/2019 (and even that is being generous, considering the amount of people that believed in and wanted Stars on the Switch in 2017), you shouldn't be waiting until 2016/2017 to start, you should really start on the game around 2015. Game Freak's development habits really don't work well for the modern era.

Well, if we are getting 8th gen next, count me as being hesitant to expect anything decent. XY felt a little rushed and incomplete, and while SM was better than XY it wasn't amazing either, and if GF is planning to make Gen VIII their first Switch game and with only 3 years of development (max), it's very concerning. I'd still buy it, it'd probably meet minimum standards, but I wouldn't expect anything too special. Heck, with that kind of speed I'd almost worry that they'll reuse the Gen VII engine and just port it/refine it into HD rather than making a noticeable improvement.

I would consider Gen VIII in 2020 on Switch would be better than having a Switch Pokemon game next year (not saying it's Gen VIII) but if it's DP remake, or Kanto/Johto Sequel, it'll probably going to happen on 3DS for next year instead.

I would consider Gen VIII in 2020 on Switch would be better than having a Switch Pokemon game next year (not saying it's Gen VIII) but if it's DP remake, or Kanto/Johto Sequel, it'll probably going to happen on 3DS for next year instead.
The next game or games is or are definitely going to be on the Switch. USUM will the 3DS final swansong.

The next game or games is or are definitely going to be on the Switch. USUM will the 3DS final swansong.
Tsunekazu Ishihara stated that the Pokemon game on Switch will be released "more than a year", meaning we won't see it in 2019, If it was for next year, he would have said it "At least a year", I think he's referring to Gen VIII, If it's not Gen VIII, then the next game will be on 3DS for next year. With Switch is a Console I doubt they'll finish it in 2018. I also doubt they'll have a Switch in Mid-Generation with Sun/Moon started on 3DS.

Tsunekazu Ishihara stated that the Pokemon game on Switch will be released "more than a year", meaning we won't see it in 2019, If it was for next year, he would have said it "At least a year", I think he's referring to Gen VIII, If it's not Gen VIII, then the next game will be on 3DS for next year. With Switch is a Console I doubt they'll finish it in 2018. I also doubt they'll have a Switch in Mid-Generation with Sun/Moon started on 3DS.
"More than a year" could mean any time from July 2018 onward. They have to build on the Switch hype and success so far. 2018 really needs big titles to keep the Switch ship steady and moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom