• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
"More than a year" could mean any time from July 2018 onward. They have to build on the Switch hype and success so far. 2018 really needs big titles to keep the Switch ship steady and moving forward.
If so, I doubt it'll be Gen VIII, and I also doubt they'll start it with a remake or sequel when they usually start on a new generation, so it's probably going to be another disappointment on 3DS till we get Gen VIII.

If so, I doubt it'll be Gen VIII, and I also doubt they'll start it with a remake or sequel when they usually start on a new generation, so it's probably going to be another disappointment on 3DS till we get Gen VIII.
Again, the 3DS had it's time. The Switch needs Pokémon at some point. The soonest would definitely be 2018. Also, Kanto sequels with Johto would actually be a great way to start the Switch. So much hype has been build up with Go, the VC releases of RBY and GC and all the Kanto and Johto references in Sun and Moon.

There hasn't been a better time for Kanto sequels.

Again, the 3DS had it's time. The Switch needs Pokémon at some point. The soonest would definitely be 2018. Also, Kanto sequels with Johto would actually be a great way to start the Switch. So much hype has been build up with Go, the VC releases of RBY and GC and all the Kanto and Johto references in Sun and Moon.

There hasn't been a better time for Kanto sequels.
Except why would GF go out of there way to start a sequel off on a new system, plus we don't even know if it'll be for next year.

Except why would GF go out of there way to start a sequel off on a new system, plus we don't even know if it'll be for next year.
Because Kanto is the most nostalgic region ever. And it desperately needs to be upgraded. Why build up all this hype for Kanto and Johto and just do nothing with that hype with sequels?

Because Kanto is the most nostalgic region ever. And it desperately needs to be upgraded. Why build up all this hype for Kanto and Johto and just do nothing with that hype with sequels?
True, I wouldn't mind to revisit Kanto/Johto, But I think to build up more hype for Kanto/Johto is to have it in 25th anniversary, especially Johto 20th anniversary coming up in 2019.

True, I wouldn't mind to revisit Kanto/Johto, But I think to build up more hype for Kanto/Johto is to have it in 25th anniversary, especially Johto 20th anniversary coming up in 2019.
I feel that by the 2021 it would be too late. The hype is now and in 2018. They don't have a better chance.

I feel that by the 2021 it would be too late. The hype is now and in 2018. They don't have a better chance.
Well I'm hype for Kanto/Johto Sequel myself, If GF would attend to break the pattern of each game release on a system, then It'll be the first time, especially they might break the pattern of remake, instead they'll just do something different to the old game instead of remakes.

I don't really think of it as a Kanto/Johto Sequel the way B2W2 is. Rather, it'll be a brand new story set in Kanto and Johto. Anyway they said the new game will be for the Switch so new game for 3DS is out unless they make it cross platform.

There won't be a 3DS game after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. That is the only concrete information we have. No way they're going to announce a Switch game, and then launch a 3DS one later.

Yea but isn't the 3DS and Switch supposed to achieve pretty different objectives?

A Pokémon Game on the Switch sort of consolidates Switch as their next handheld.

Pretty much. When the mainline Pokemon series moves on to another system, that is pretty much undeniable proof that the former system is pretty much done.

Nintendo loves to say they'll continue the 3DS. They said the exact same thing back when revealing the DS. They said that the Gameboy would continue. We all saw how that went.

I'm not too happy about the Switch, and any attempts to consolidate the two markets, but it is what it is.

Generation 8 in a Switzerland-motif region. Kanto\Johto sequel through being set 2 years after SM and having cameos from past characters. Whether Viola is hanging out by a random route giving you a ride Pokémon, Greta leads you into a postgame subplot, Janine heavily helps you advance the legendary\evil team plot while in a secret identity, or Mira grows up to become one of this game's Gym Leaders\E4 (or even the champion!), there will be a returning character. Cynthia and Looker at least.

The pessimist in me (and lord knows that USUM have reignited this side of mine) thinks that it will be a rushed Generation VIII that will barely be worth being called a Switch-based generation.

The optimist in me wishes for Kanto/Johto sequels that would use an upscaled version of the SM graphics, and capitalize on the Go promotion of Kanto/Johto Pokemon and VC games.

You pretty much saved me from having to type something similar.

A Pokémon Game on the Switch sort of consolidates Switch as their next handheld.
I guess it is about time the 3DS dies out, but the New 2DS XL has just been released in certain regions and judging by the fact they really can't produce any other 3DS/2DS name (New 3DSi XXL Lite?), I'm guessing it's the end

Honestly, at this point there's pretty much no way this won't end up a disappointment. Not if they've only been working on this for a year or less. The Switch is much more powerful than the 3DS and the fanbase is going to expect more from a Switch game. So if Game Freak is going into this thinking they can get away with cheaping out with a lazy cash grab (which at this point, is about all they can come up with by 2018) they're going to be in for a rude awakening when the fanbase is far from satisfied. Especially if this is 8th gen, which I can't see how it isn't because a new generation makes the most sense as a hardware debut from both a business and creativity standpoint. For them to really take advantage of the Switch they're going to need to spend 3+ years developing on it, this is really something that should've been started in 2015 at the latest.

Honestly, at this point there's pretty much no way this won't end up a disappointment. Not if they've only been working on this for a year or less. The Switch is much more powerful than the 3DS and the fanbase is going to expect more from a Switch game. So if Game Freak is going into this thinking they can get away with cheaping out with a lazy cash grab (which at this point, is about all they can come up with by 2018) they're going to be in for a rude awakening when the fanbase is far from satisfied.

If we were talking about Gen VIII, I would agree. But in general? No, I don't think it would necessarily be a disappointment. If the 2018 Switch game is Kanto/Johto sequels, it would probably be fine. Since K/J sequels would not be a new generation, they don't have to make a new engine. The Gen VII engine is mostly "HD proof" and could be ported over to the Switch with relative ease. Not to mention they wouldn't have to design new regions from the ground up--the framework is already there based on HGSS and just needs to be improved/added upon and turned into a 3D world. Plus no new Pokemon.

Think about it this way: ORAS was developed in a single year. One. Many said it felt lackluster, and I'm inclined to at least partially agree. But whatever this game is for Switch (let's say K/J sequels for example), it will have probably had around 2 years of development by release, which is more time than ORAS. Also, given that they said it would be a year or more, i.e. July 2018+, it allows them to delay if they are not finished. I only hope they give a damn and actually try to make a really good game rather than rush themselves.

If we were talking about Gen VIII, I would agree. But in general? No, I don't think it would necessarily be a disappointment. If the 2018 Switch game is Kanto/Johto sequels, it would probably be fine. Since K/J sequels would not be a new generation, they don't have to make a new engine. The Gen VII engine is mostly "HD proof" and could be ported over to the Switch with relative ease. Not to mention they wouldn't have to design new regions from the ground up--the framework is already there based on HGSS and just needs to be improved/added upon and turned into a 3D world. Plus no new Pokemon.

Think about it this way: ORAS was developed in a single year. One. Many said it felt lackluster, and I'm inclined to at least partially agree. But whatever this game is for Switch (let's say K/J sequels for example), it will have probably had around 2 years of development by release, which is more time than ORAS. Also, given that they said it would be a year or more, i.e. July 2018+, it allows them to delay if they are not finished. I only hope they give a damn and actually try to make a really good game rather than rush themselves.

Even if they're doing Kanto sequels (which again, I don't see it. New generations are most definitely the ideal as far as sales and creativity), putting what's essentially a 7th gen game on the Switch would still be a disappointment. New hardware inherently brings an expectation of significant improvement, the whole point of having a hardware upgrade is to do new things that couldn't be done. So if not a new engine, at the very least the Switch is going to bring an expectation of a significant change in design philosophy, which is something that would be difficult if not impossible to pull off with a port. And then if the game most people are actually waiting for, 8th gen, ends up as a 2020 release as you suggest, then it'll be seen as too late because the Switch may not even exist much longer than that. Pretty much anything short of the Switch having an ambitious, 8th generation game relatively early is going to be a disappointment, and that's looking like an impossibility at this point.

Back
Top Bottom