• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
Not sure why they would use a vague wording like "may take more than a year" (from June 2017) if they were aiming for late 2019. That would just set up most fans for disappointment. For the record, they never said gave any timeframe for DP.
It's wiser for them to be vague for a game they just briefly disclosed (not even formally announced) in order to give themselves more room to work with. Clearly the focus was to get it out there that a Pokemon game is coming to the Switch, with the launch date being an afterthought. If fans take it as an absolute instead of a mere possibility that's setting themselves up for disappointment. If anything, the ambiguity also lends more credibility to the idea of a new generation, as they are usually more difficult to gauge a release window for. It also reaffirms my belief that they threw in the announcement prematurely to appease Switch fans in light of USUM and generate hype for the Switch, despite likely still being in the early-mid stages of the game's actual development.

I still really doubt that they threw in the announcement last minute as an attempt to reassure fans after US/UM. I assume that they have to plan out what they want to reveal at events like E3 months in advance and the announcement itself didn't give the impression that they rushed it. They definitely wanted to generate hype for the Switch and I could see Nintendo wanting Game Freak to make the announcement more just to get more people excited for the system, but I don't think that US/UM had anything to do with when they announced it.

Just totally spit-balling here, but I think a Kanto/Johto focused game on the Switch would sell like hotcakes. New and old all wrapped into something that doesn't need to bust out a ton of new features to capture fans' attention. I'm expecting a holiday 2018 release date (with marketing efforts beginning ~5 months after USUM's release, likely in April to May, no later than E3 2018). It might also serve as a bridge to a fuller Generation VIII title (likely on the Switch as well) in 2020 or so.

Realistic? I don't know. Is it possible? I think so.

Not to imply that a Generation VIII game wouldn't sell as well, but with XY's execution, it wasn't worth starting an entirely new generation as an entry into a new console. In my opinion, at least.

I'm also a proponent of a "reboot" of sorts. There can only be so many monsters before the list becomes saturated with more of the same. I understand new Pokemon sell games, but the more monsters there are, the less value each begins to hold -- and I think that value begins to drop significantly should it soon exceed 1000. Again, that may just be me.

Case in point: Let's start over with a few new twists in the original story, re-imagined for a home console with HD graphics and all of the features added to the series since FRLG. I'd rather that than an XY v2.0.

Gen 8 will definitely be the pokemon games announced for Switch. USUM are obviously the last gen 7 games. After gen 8 first pair, sinnoh remakes are likely to happen. Maybe get sequels to the first pair of gen 8 games after sinnoh. Or sinnoh can be last and sequels can be second.

@Beck A 2018 generation would be worse than XY... At least they had three full years for that project and they never described the 3DS the way they're doing with the Switch (as a game changer for them).

And I am quite confident about 2018 being the goal because otherwise they've just hurt USUM's sales for a weak reason. They could have waited until early 2018 to confirm that they're working on a new generation "for some point in the future", but they felt the need to do so right after USUM's announcement.

Most people never had doubts about the Switch being Pokemon's future. Hell, Masuda even said as much in an interview. But mentioning a specific project before the last 3DS games have been released... That's going too far.

A lot of players are adults with a disposable income, who can afford a Switch and aren't looking forward to a samey experience as SM on the 3DS. The Stars hype proved that.

A lot of players are adults with a disposable income, who can afford a Switch and aren't looking forward to a samey experience as SM on the 3DS. The Stars hype proved that.
Stars didn't happen though. We got USUM. Also don't assume all adults can afford Switch. Plus i doubt a lot of players are adults since these are mainly for kids.

Yeah, no.

According to Japanese sales tracker Media Create, early purchasers of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were primarily in their 20s. This suggests that the games were bought primarily by returning fans of the original Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire, which was the plan all along. Interestingly, Media Create adds that the proportion of early purchasers under the age of 15 was significantly lower than in the case of last year’s Pokémon X and Y.

It should be interesting to see if the proportion of younger players increases towards the end of the year, when the demand for gifts increases during the holiday season. For the time being, though, what we’re seeing is more evidence of an ongoing trend that began with Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver—one that suggests Pokémon’s audience is growing older.

Read more here.
It is precisely because USUM are being marketed for kids that I don't see them being a must-buy for adults.

And not every adult can afford a Switch right now, but they can save for it by being smart about what games they buy this year.

I don't know if i would get a Switch. I got a lot of stuff already. Eventually i run out of room for new games. Although i don't want to lose the chance of missing possible sinnoh remakes.

People are overreacting. USUM have barely been released. Wait for more info.

They can clear up what to expect. That would reduce the 'overreaction' a lot. I think it's fair for people to question what are they paying $80 for (evidence suggests that is likely to be a game worth $40).

If this game or these game(s) is or are released in 2018, then I guarantee that 2019 will be a gap year. Gives them time to prepare for the second set of gaems or second game for the Switch.

@Beck A 2018 generation would be worse than XY... At least they had three full years for that project and they never described the 3DS the way they're doing with the Switch (as a game changer for them).

And I am quite confident about 2018 being the goal because otherwise they've just hurt USUM's sales for a weak reason. They could have waited until early 2018 to confirm that they're working on a new generation "for some point in the future", but they felt the need to do so right after USUM's announcement.

Most people never had doubts about the Switch being Pokemon's future. Hell, Masuda even said as much in an interview. But mentioning a specific project before the last 3DS games have been released... That's going too far.

I've never been too aware of the production timeline of each game (I'm most interested in the marketing timelines/execution), but if that's the case then I would completely agree. If three years and a transition from the DS to the 3DS gave us X&Y, I find it difficult to believe then that any less time and the less intuitive transition from handheld to hybrid home console will produce a better game. Not to imply that GameFreak cannot or will not try to do as much as possible (I'm not privy to their production budget), but it certainly seems unlikely.

Which is exactly why I think the most classic installment and best-selling games across the last two decades, given a fresh coat of paint, could fit the mold. Think: Alolan formes of Kanto Pokemon, on steroids -- blown up to the size of a region. This likely cuts the creative design time in half (again, spit balling here).

And I would agree that Pokemon Switch will release before 2019 (or is currently planned to release in 2018, delays happen) for no other reason than the announcement being made at E3 2017 -- if it was going to be released in 2019 or later, GameFreak and Nintendo could have just as easily held off until E3 2018 and received a similar reception, without simultaneously cutting USUM down at the knees. We will see Pokemon Switch in 2018, GameFreak be damned.

Last edited:
Stars didn't happen though. We got USUM. Also don't assume all adults can afford Switch. Plus i doubt a lot of players are adults since these are mainly for kids.
Except "Stars" is a codename for US/UM, they wanted to be a cross-platform between 3ds and Switch, but they said they have no intention of US/UM being on Switch, Just 3DS exclusive
If this game or these game(s) is or are released in 2018, then I guarantee that 2019 will be a gap year. Gives them time to prepare for the second set of gaems or second game for the Switch.
Exactly, We don't want Gen VIII to be rushed in 2018, whatever game we'll get next year, at least they have plenty of time to work on Gen VIII.

Sure, a 2017 release date would be more timely, but if Game Freak waited until finishing SM to start their first Switch project, then obviously a year isn't enough (it might have been enough for Stars, but USUM took its place).

Has USUM been confirmed as a double third game thing outside that one quote involving an "alternate story" that was in that press release? Not to say you are wrong but I don't believe that that quote is really conclusive so I don't chose to believe that's all the games are yet. Because of that and the prominent leakers talking about it I chose to believe Stars is still a thing and it is the Switch game. I can see the leakers having mistaken the new SM versions to be the same as the Switch game, or just be outright wrong period and maybe have sources that don't know what the fuck they are talking about. I just want to believe in Laura Kate Dale.

If it's not that though I don't really know what it is. They keep hinting at Gen 4 remakes with all the Sinnoh refs, but they could do that in Gen 8. Has that ever been the case though? A past generation getting lots of attention all of a sudden before a remake with the remake not coming in the gen it's being referenced in?

I guess I'd say a gen 1/2 sequel as my second guess. Just because it's the only thing people have really come up with and I can't think of any other off the wall thing they would do. With Sinnoh involved along with Kanto just as a fanservicy wish thing. Actually wait.

No actually scratch that. While we are talking fan wishes. Canon Colosseum/XD sequel. That's what I would wan't at least even if I don't expect it.

Has USUM been confirmed as a double third game thing outside that one quote involving an "alternate story" that was in that press release?
The press release just mentions the games "being powered up with additions to the story and features," so that is actually more indicative of a double third version than "alternate story" is. But no, we don't have anything else to go on.

They keep hinting at Gen 4 remakes with all the Sinnoh refs, but they could do that in Gen 8. Has that ever been the case though? A past generation getting lots of attention all of a sudden before a remake with the remake not coming in the gen it's being referenced in?
The only references are Silvally and Piplup/Lucario in the movie. Those are pretty light compared to all the Kanto references.

Anyway, while Generation V didn't have a lot of Hoenn references, fans did make a big deal about the return of Dive and various little things. That is why "Hoenn confirmed" became a meme.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom