• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokenav

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
3 gens later, and we have all sorts of connectivity options, from the HoloCaster, to the PSS, and what-not. What that has to do with the topic is, do you see them all being intergrated into the Pokenav? And what else would you like to see in it? You know besides the map, and match call. I was thinking, maybe the VS Recorder could be added, along with maybe your medals on the PGL.

They'll probably integrate the PSS and a Holocaster-equivalent along with the map and Trainer Eyes/Match Call (although I'd rather have the VS. Seeker). I'm okay as long as it ends up like a better-organized Poketch with less filler (as opposed to the C-Gear, which was pretty terrible).

If it was op to me they should just butcher the Pokénav, it has played its role, and the new interface is just better. I mean what did it contain
1) a map - I do not know about you but I use the map maybe two times per playthrough, it becomes more or less obsolete with fly
2) coordinator stats for your Pokémon, this might be useful, but could be integrated into the regular stat menu, and is not reason enough to keep the pokénav
3) match call, as Ivysaur sad worse than the VS. seeker
4) ribbons, should just be in the normal stat menu as it is today

It might have a place if they give it a overhaul, and add some more useful features

I'm sure the PokeNav will be pretty much the same as before, though updated quite a bit, similar to the PokeGear. I imagine they may add a few new features to it and improve some of the ones it already has. I personally hope the Match Call returns, instead of Trainer's Eyes. I don't imagine the Holocaster making an appearance since that is later tech, I guess, but I suppose, since it is actually used to receive info outside of the main game, it could come back in some kinda way.

The PSS was more or less an extra feature for Online Connectivity that was never elaborated on in-game, as far as I know. So, unless I'm seriously missing something, the PSS can pretty much just be put back on the bottom of the screen without much issue.

I can see the bottom screen being the part of the PokéNav that you'll always have access to, similar to the Pokétch in DPPt. As someone mentioned the PSS would be integrated into the PokéNav, and maybe Super Training if it comes back in ORAS (I can also see Super Training being a facility in a city somewhere). I think Pokémon-Amie would be replaced with something more contest-related; either that, or Pokémon-Amie could be updated so that it affects contest stats as well as a Pokémon's affection. (Maybe replace Poké Puffs with Pokéblocks? Or have Poké Puffs affect contest stats?)

There would then be a button, like in the bottom right corner or something, that will give you access to the "upper screen PokéNav"--basically, allow you to make calls, check the map, etc. I doubt they'll bring the Condition or Ribbon options back since those are now integrated into the summary screen.

I'm thinking they're going to merge the Pokenav and the PSS somehow, both are equally useful in different respects and we'd lose a significant part of the gameplay by ditching either. Frankly, they should've had both apps and communication features in one device in the first place instead of ditching the former for the latter (especially in 5th gen, where the communication features were mainly geared towards local communication, and thus near useless outside of Japan). Anyway, I think what they should do is have a different pages for the PSS, Super Training, Pokemon Amie/whatever they might do with this regarding Contests, the Map (complete with marking features from DPPt and HGSS to allow you to keep track of things like berries), and Match Call which you can switch between easily. I'm thinking some kind of quick jump menu would be useful instead of just having to press L/R constantly to toggle between different ones as well. Anyway, I'm really hoping that they have all of this and that the new Pokegear sets the standard for future regional devices, we really need some of the functionality that the Pokegear/Pokenav/Poketch brought us back in the games.

They'll probably integrate the PSS and a Holocaster-equivalent along with the map and Trainer Eyes/Match Call (although I'd rather have the VS. Seeker). I'm okay as long as it ends up like a better-organized Poketch with less filler (as opposed to the C-Gear, which was pretty terrible).

Why would you want the vs seeker over the trainer eyes? The vs seeker had to recharge like 200 steps after every use and trainers could end up not responding, with the trainer eyes you'd just go off and on a route 5 times (which takes less than three seconds using the mach bike) and trainers generally would be ready to rebattle even if you just fought them.

Why would you want the vs seeker over the trainer eyes? The vs seeker had to recharge like 200 steps after every use and trainers could end up not responding, with the trainer eyes you'd just go off and on a route 5 times (which takes less than three seconds using the mach bike) and trainers generally would be ready to rebattle even if you just fought them.

Because with Trainer's Eyes and Match Call you can only rematch a limited pool of trainers, Vs. Seeker you can rematch anyone you want.

Because with Trainer's Eyes and Match Call you can only rematch a limited pool of trainers, Vs. Seeker you can rematch anyone you want.

No, with the vs seeker you can rematch the trainers they programmed in to be rebattleble, and with the trainer eyes you can also rematch the trainers the programmed in to be rebattleble. The difference is the vs seeker doesn't usually level up the team whereas the trainer eyes does, which makes the trainer eyes more useful. If you want to be able to rebattle strong trainers they could always increase the maximum level cap on the trainer eyes trainers or add more new powerful trainers to it.

(though of course both pale compared to how useful secret bases are for grinding)

No, with the vs seeker you can rematch the trainers they programmed in to be rebattleble, and with the trainer eyes you can also rematch the trainers the programmed in to be rebattleble. The difference is the vs seeker doesn't usually level up the team whereas the trainer eyes does, which makes the trainer eyes more useful. If you want to be able to rebattle strong trainers they could always increase the maximum level cap on the trainer eyes trainers or add more new powerful trainers to it.

(though of course both pale compared to how useful secret bases are for grinding)

Nope, you're wrong. The Vs. Seeker is programmed to rematch anyone outside of caves and buildings. It's true that not all of them level up and they can random choose to reject your rematch, but you can still battle them.

Trainer's Eyes and the phone, on the other hand, will give you absolutely no opportunity to rematch trainers that they didn't designate to be rematched.

Nope, you're wrong. The Vs. Seeker is programmed to rematch anyone outside of caves and buildings. It's true that not all of them level up and they can random choose to reject your rematch, but you can still battle them.

Trainer's Eyes and the phone, on the other hand, will give you absolutely no opportunity to rematch trainers that they didn't designate to be rematched.

I say the match call should return since you could rematch gym leaders, but the elite four was useless in the matach call they should be rematchable outside the elite four if they appear on the match call as wanting a rematch

I just prefer the simplicity of the VS. Seeker and the fact you can rebattle anybody, but the differences aren't significant enough that I'm really all that bothered if we get Trainer Eyes instead again. But Match Call Gym Leaders again would be terrible. Top Trainer Cafe 2.0 please.

If they add the Pokenav for the love of god remove the increased chance of trainers calling you when you have a pokemon with Lightning Rod as your party leader, everytime Manectric was the lead in my party the damn trainers were calling me every three steps.

If they add the Pokenav for the love of god remove the increased chance of trainers calling you when you have a pokemon with Lightning Rod as your party leader, everytime Manectric was the lead in my party the damn trainers were calling me every three steps.

That was actually a thing? Oh god, I hope not.

That was actually a thing? Oh god, I hope not.
I didn't knew about it and i learned about it in the hard way....

Last edited:

I couldn't really see that happening, since that was the purpose of it.

Are we talking about the ability or trainers calling you? Because Lightning Rod actualy has a useful function in battle wich is to draw electric type attacks to the user and increase the special attack by one stage. If it is about the trainers calling you they can remove the Lightning Rod effect on the Pokenav and the trainers will still call you but they will call you less wich is a god send.

Are we talking about the ability or trainers calling you? Because Lightning Rod actualy has a useful function in battle wich is to draw electric type attacks to the user and increase the special attack by one stage. If it is about the trainers calling you they can remove the Lightning Rod effect on the Pokenav and the trainers will still call you but they will call you less wich is a god send.

Sorry, I meant, I couldn't see them getting rid of LR in the lead slot making trainers call you more often. I mean, that was the purpose of making that a thing, so I couldn't see them getting rid of that effect. Especially since that normally meant certain trainers wanted to re-battle you, which is likely meant to be the benefit.

Sorry, I meant, I couldn't see them getting rid of LR in the lead slot making trainers call you more often. I mean, that was the purpose of making that a thing, so I couldn't see them getting rid of that effect. Especially since that normally meant certain trainers wanted to re-battle you, which is likely meant to be the benefit.
Well LR has only this function in Emerald and since these games appear to be remakes of Ruby and Sapphire and not Emerald LR most likely won't have this function.

I imagine it'll be be back but improved, maybe with the time in it.

I also imagine it'll be on the bottom screen.. I too would prefer the vs seeker.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom