• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Power of One Movie WB Special. Anyone remember?

Rose_et_Reine

Child of God. Annointed.
Reaction score
"We're talking about the Power Of One. How one person can make a difference."

Anyone remember that WB TV special with Donna Summer, where she said that line? I do! And I have been looking for it on YouTube, and no one seems to have it! I want to watch it completely now, since when it aired, I only saw the first part of it.

Ahhh, so much to be said about this special, where to begin? Well for starters, I remember seeing this be announced on the WB back in the day. And I remember thinking something not very nice, "those poor fools, don't know what the true movie is about, much less it's real title." Because I thought back then that knowing more about the Japanese version, made me superior than the audience that watched the English dub instead. Yes, I don't like that I thought that way, that was way out of line.

And I also remember thinking the special would be trash. Well, when the day finally came, I found myself bored channel surfing, and tuned in. Just as the promos had shown us. I saw - what was it? Nsync? The Backstreet Boys? - well, one of those two boy bands, that I never liked or cared for sing "Pokémon World." After which, the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer, made her way to the stage to be our host. That's when somewhere along her speech, she said the words that you read above. Those words, have forever stayed in my mind. LOLLOLLOL! I have never forgotten them, they make me laugh! Not so much because of what she said, as it was how she said it.

Yes, what she says is true, one person can make a difference in the world. But it makes me laugh, not because of the message, but because that was not what the movie was truly about or called; at least to my understanding. Yes, Ash made a difference, but they made it seem, along with the title, that Ash was The One, and that only He had the power to make a difference.

Well after she said what she had to, I went back to channel surfing. When I came across it again, I think that there were other musical artists performing, before I saw her again at the end, when she sang the theme song for the movie (or did she sing after she spoke? I can't remember).

Now, with all of that out of the way. Can anyone tell me where I can watch this? Anyone recorded it way back when?

What did you all think of the special when it was promoted and after it was broadcast. Please share your thoughts

:lx113:

P.S. Oh, and by the way, The Queen of Disco is dead. Just in case you didn't know, she died a couple of years ago.

Parts of it are on the DVD for the movie (been out of print since 2010). The band that performs "Pokemon World" for the movie is Youngstown (best known for doing "I'll Be Your Everything" in 1999's "Inspector Gadget" movie) along with Nobody's Angel.

I did watch this when it aired back in 2000. I'd have to see the whole thing again to really comment more, though.

I'm sorry to hear that it's in parts on the movie DVD. Why do that and not have the whole thing?

Glad to know that there is someone else who remembers this.

Thanks for clarifying what the boy band that performed the song was. Never did care for such things back in the day, so I didn't know.

I'm sorry to hear that it's in parts on the movie DVD. Why do that and not have the whole thing?

I can't say for sure, but the parts on the DVD deal specifically with the soundtrack (which was a fair part of the special), so they may have prioritized those since the soundtrack was still readily available when the DVD was released.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom