• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Power/Spell Name Idea Thread 3.0

Oh, this is cool! I'm developing a fantasy world where the medieval "four humours" medical theory is true and the ratios of humours in a person's body gives them elemental abilities. And I am having EXACTLY the spell-naming problem described in the thread intro. This will be a very useful source of inspiration!

I have a few name suggestions from the Psynergies in Golden Sun...
[Fire]
Pyroclasm (Description: "Attack with volcanic might")
Dragon Cloud (Description: "Strike the enemy with a dragon-shaped cloud." This is a Fire attack in Golden Sun, but the name sounds more like a Wind attack to me...)

[Earth]
Ragnarok (Description: Summons earth into the shape of a giant sword and drops it on the foe's head. Could also be spelled "Ragnarock" for an obvious pun.)
Wild Growth (Description: "Attack with giant plants.")

[Water]
Froth Spiral (Description: "Attack with a bubble vortex")

[Shadow]
Lich (Description: "Revive an ally with the undead's aid." I thought a sinister-sounding healing move like this was interesting. Could also be named something like "Lich Revive" to make it longer.)

I also have a few suggestions from stuff I've come up with. I included some flavor text for how I use the moves in case that gives others ideas. Some of them might be too offbeat for this purpose, so feel free to just take what you want.
[Fire]
Ignition (Description: basic fire attack, just with a slightly-more exotic name than "fireball". Also used in my world for mundane tasks like lighting campfires and frying food.)
Drought Flames (Description: fire attack with higher-than-normal effectiveness against those with Water essence. Often learned by those with Fire essence as a self-defense technique.)

[Water]
Aqua Cycle (Description: turns surrounding water into vapor, then re-condenses it in a different location. Could be used to drop a flood on a foe's head, but often used for the mundane task of obtaining clean water, since it effectively turns water back into fresh rain.)

[Air]
Shard Blade (Descriptions: the user fires a blade of air so quickly, it cuts like a shard of glass.)

[Thunder]
Vesper Volt (Description: lightning attack with a piercing effect)

[Rainbow]
Quintessential Strike (Description: finisher, the user conjures a bolt of quintessence, then splits it into all elements to attack. A very rare power and also very draining.)

[No Element]
Broadcast (Description: the user emits radio-like waves that resonate with metal items. Can be used for communication, but can also be very disruptive to foes with metal weapons or armor.)
Reso-Note (Description: the user unleashes a sound that resonates with the foe's body, damaging them. Based on the urban legend of the brown note, the hypothetical resonance frequency of the human body.)

I also have an idea for a poison/toxin spell, but I wasn't sure where that would fit in this elemental scheme. Maybe shadow?
Nihelixir (from nihil "nothing, void" plus elixir. The user condenses their power into a debilitating potion and coats their weapon with it to attack.)

Here are some more abilities that are similar to Glacial Barrier:

Earth: Iron Wall
Fire: Heat Shield
Water: Bubble Shell

For the rest of the elements, I could not think of anything.
I've been thinking about this...I might have some ideas for the others?

[Wind]: Storm Shelter
[Thunder]: Magnetosphere
[Light]: Dazzle Deflector
[Rainbow]: Chroma Cocoon
[Shadow]: Night Veil
[Cosmos]: Galaxy Guard
[No Element]: Aegis Ward (...which sort of just means "shield protection spell", but at least it sounds fancy.)

A few potential finisher moves

Shadow - Twilight Caliginosity
Wind - Zephyr Vortex
Earth - Igneous Wrath
Light - Divine Phosphorescence

Back
Top Bottom