• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Power/Spell Name Idea Thread 3.0

@Greninjaman @Catz

Okay--all those are on the list!

Some ideas from the old gacha game Grand Sphere:

Fire

Cardinal Arrow
Crimson Illusion
Flame Storm
Scarlet Shield

Wind

Bursting Gale

Water

Dreaming Rain
Sirena's Fury
Cascading Blades
Aqua Blessing

Ice

Healing Blizzard
Blizzard Wing
Frost Blade

Light

Sacred Dance
Brilliant Edge
Heavenly Blade
Luminous Grace
Heavenly Arrow

Shadow

Dark Mist
Dancing Arbok
Gravity Gale

No Elemental

Arrow Storm

Seeing Thunderbeam on the list made me think of Thunder Beam, a special weapon from Mega Man 1. So I went looking for other Mega Man special weapons that could maybe work as spell names...

[Fire]
Atomic Fire (from Heat Man, Mega Man 2)
Magma Bazooka (from Magma Man, Mega Man 9)
Scorch Wheel (from Turbo Man, Mega Man 7)
Wave Burner (from Burner Man, Mega Man and Bass)

[Earth]
Crystal Eye (from Crystal Man, Mega Man 5)
Jewel Satellite (from Jewel Man, Mega Man 9. I could also see this name being fitting for Rainbow)
Leaf Shield (from Wood Man, Mega Man 2)

[Wind]
Tengu Blade (from Tengu Man, Mega Man and Bass)
Tornado Hold (from Tengu Man, Mega Man 8)

[Thunder]
Magnet Missile (from Magnet Man, Mega Man 3)
Spark Chaser (from Terra, Mega Man V)

[Ice]
Chill Spike (from Chill Man, Mega Man 10)
Freeze Cracker (from Freeze Man, Mega Man 7)
Ice Slasher (from Ice Man, Mega Man 1)

[Light]
Centaur Flash (from Centaur Man, Mega Man 6)
Gemini Laser (from Gemini Man, Mega Man 3)
Laser Trident (from Splash Woman, Mega Man 9)
Photon Missile (from Mars, Mega Man V)

[Cosmos]
Astro Crush (from Astro Man, Mega Man 8)
Gravity Hold (from Gravity Man, Mega Man 5)
Black Hole Bomb (from Galaxy Man, Mega Man 9)
Solar Blaze (from Solar Man, Mega Man 10. This could also very easily be Fire, or even Light)
Star Crash (from Star Man, Mega Man 5)

[No Element]
Noise Crush (from Shade Man, Mega Man 7)

@Viridian Beedrill

I can assure you I was not thinking of Mega Man when I came up with Thunderbeam--I was riffing on how Thunder Shock used to be spelled as one word in earlier generations.

Some more ideas from a gacha game called Age of Ishtaria:

Fire

Flare Burst

Wind

Soothing Wind

Thunder

Lightning Chain

@Viridian Beedrill

I can assure you I was not thinking of Mega Man when I came up with Thunderbeam--I was riffing on how Thunder Shock used to be spelled as one word in earlier generations.

Some more ideas from a gacha game called Age of Ishtaria:

Fire

Flare Burst

Wind

Soothing Wind

Thunder

Lightning Chain
Oh, nonono, I wasn't saying that you used it without citing the inspiration, or anything like that. I was just noting it happened to coincidentally and unrelatedly be the name of a Mega Man weapon, and that the coincidence made me think maybe some other weapon names might make good spells. I'm sorry I wasn't clear with my meaning.

@Greninjaman

Added to the list, along with some ideas from the gacha Age of Ishtaria:

Earth

Leaf Blade
World Shaker

Fire

Flame Pillar
Phoenix Flare (finisher)
Heat Wave

Water

Hydro Burst
Aqua Geyser
Cascade Breaker (Misty exclusive)
Great Tsunami (finisher)
Healing Rain

Light

Healing Light
Heavenly Smite
Goddess' Anthem

Rainbow

Prismic Gems

Shadow

Infernal Rage
Poison Fang

No Elemental

Entrancing Song

Some more ideas from the gacha Age of Ishtaria:

Earth

Forest Ballad

Fire
Thousand Flames
Sacred Flare
Heavenly Flame
Guardian Flame
Dancing Flame
Phoenix Feather

Wind

Soothing Breeze

Water

Tidal Impact
Healing Wave

Thunder

Stormy Crescendo

Cosmos

Moonlight Etude
Luna's Tear
Twilight Wings

Light

Epic Lumiere
Heavenly Chorus
Gleaming Anthem
Sun Spirit
Heavenly Flash
Solar Shield
Noble Light

Rainbow

Rainbow's Edge

Shadow

Haunting Howl
Wistful Beautifly
Oblivion Nocturne
Whispering Flame

No Elemental

Swordsong

I guess I could contribute a few things, why not.

Some of these are my own mental crops, those that are not (that I know of) are sourced.

[Earth]
Gash of Trentren - manipulating (geoforming) a large patch of land into a ravine in one fell swoop. Named after Tren Tren, the mythical Mapudungun snake deity of the land.

[Earth]
Power Geyser - derived from Fatal Fury's (Terry Bogard's) supermove of the same name.

[Fire]
Afterburner - it is an Ability that some Fire type Pokémon can have in the TCG. Surprised it wasn't here already.

[Fire]
Orochinagi - the name draws from King of Fighters's supermove of the same name, and translates more or less to "Orochi Mower". The name is a joint reference: to how the fire hero must fight Orochi, the serpent god of the world; and to Kusanagi, the grass-mower sword of the Japanese folk hero (Susano?) who fought the eight-headed serpent Orochi.

[Thunder]
Magnetorpedo - basically "Magic Missile" but Lightning / Thunder based, and with autotracking. Comparatively to this fandom think "Aura Sphere but Electric".

[Thunder]
Spark of Life - the concept of the "spark of life" is a recurrent idiom. As a name it could be used for a healing, re-raising or stat-protecting Thunder-aligned spell.

[Water]
Whirl of Kaikai - manipulating a large volume of water in one fell swoop into a self-sustained whirlpool. Named after Kai Kai, the mythical Mapudungun snake deity of the seas, and the counterpart of Tren Tren above.

[Water]
Ñuruvilu / Nguruvilu - the name derives from the creature of Mapudungun mythology of the same name, a fox/eel hybrid that lives in rivers and enchants them to form fast currents and hidden whirlpools to drown people who try to cross.

[Light]
Alicanto - named after the mythological bird in Incan / Quéchua mythology of the same name, said to shine with metallic colours, and who misleads treasure hunters and spelunkers (in other worlds: trespassers into Nature) to their doom.

[Shadow]
(alternatively [Wind])
Dark Lamentation - or "Yamidoukoku", the name draws from King of Fighters's supermove of the same name, which is a grab that subjects the target to a hurricane. While "wind-elemental" in the source games, the name better lends itself to Shadow elemental.

[Shadow]
Death Slinger - a powerful attack by the darkness-aligned Belzebumon from Digimon.

[Non-elemental]
(Alternatively, [Earth])
Yashiori - or "Eight Ferments", the name draws from King of Fighters's supermove of the same name, which is a firing of eight "sparks" that stuns and paralyzes an opponent. The name is a reference to the eight cups of sake that the Japanese folk hero (Susano?) used to incapacitate the Orochi hydra / serpent and kill it.

[Non-elemental]
Retribution - it's just such a cool word to use, like "Judgment". Drawn from an attack name in Etrian Odyssey.

[Non-elemental]
Restraint - another cool word to use. Would make sense for some sort of self-boosting spell.

And that would be for now. Maybe I can think of more ideas later.

Back
Top Bottom