• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The problem with Obstagoon/Sirfetch'd/Purrserker

Contrainer

Well-Ington Member
Reaction score
Earlier, I realized a problem with this category of Pokemon that evolve exclusively from regional variants. (I don't know if there are any others)

What if, in future generations, they want to have one of the original (or Alolan) versions of their pre-evolutions?
Is the evo in the dex? It would feel rather unethical to put a Pokemon you can't obtain through either game in the regional dex.

With Dexit, there are 3 options (ordered by likelihood). Some are better than others.

1. Make some kind of Galar Embassy or something like Island Scan where they can get the Galarian Formes
  2. End Dexit and break the laws of ethics
  3. Permanently cull the original/Alolan form
As you can see, this is a hard dilemma for Game Freak. Comments?

I mean, it’s only a total of six Pokémon at the moment... and they bothered to include Persian and Cofagrigus in the Galar Dex (with their base stages’ original forms available via in-game trade), so I don’t see why they couldn’t do the same in a future game that happens to include, say, Zigzagoon and Mr. Mime again.

Also, while we're at it, Pokemon like Galarian Mr. Mime, Galarian Weezing, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Exeggutor, and Alolan Marrowak where the baby/base stages are the same across the board can still get around regional restrictions.

Like they could easily make special evolutionary items (fluffy pancakes for Raichu, ceremonial bone for Marrowak, etc.) Or have them location based (Koffing evolves at an old factory at night, Exeggcute evolves on an tropical island.)

They've made new evolution methods for old pokemon before. I don't see why regional evolutions would be any diffrent.

Last edited:
Like they could easily make special evolutionary items (fluffy pancakes for Raichu, ceremonial bone for Marrowak, etc.) Or have them location based (Koffing evolves at an old factory at night, Exeggcute evolves on an tropical island.)
And if they don’t want to complicate methods, have Pokemon hold region-specific items and just use their normal evolution method in addition to it.

Pikachu (holding Strange Souvenier)+Thunder Stone > Raichu

Koffing (holding Galarian sachet) > Galarian Weezing

I don't see what the issue would be. As someone else mentioned, they could easily just make it so one version is found naturally in the wild and the other can be obtained through a trade npc.
They did this in both LGPE and Sword & Shield, they even included Persian and Cofagrigus in the Galar Dex.

taking away a fan the choice in games is a crime if done too frequently but thats why they are regional forms...

I really don’t see the problem, they’ve already used in game trading to allow you to get Cofagrigus and Persian in Sword and Shield as well as allowing you to get the Alolan variants in Let’s Go. Plus with home out now transferring in older Pokémon is essentially no different to the 3DS games.

I don't like region exclusive evolutions. It complicates things for future games unless we have more Dexit type situations where a ton of Pokemon will be conveniently scrapped to make things easier for Game Freak's programming team.

I don't like region exclusive evolutions. It complicates things for future games unless we have more Dexit type situations where a ton of Pokemon will be conveniently scrapped to make things easier for Game Freak's programming team.

alolan Marowak was done good. I wouldnt mind if they add the old Katonian,Johto and Hoen forms new evolutions too.

other problems with them:

-Obstagoon and Obstruct, the moves should be a sound move, making that soundproof users should be immune to its effect and sound moves should work normally.

-Purserker, like its ability generaly

-Sirfetched, wasted oportunity for a fighting/fairy, fighting/normal or fighting/steel pokemon but at least it can get spiky shield and other buffs...

Obstruct, the moves should be a sound move, making that soundproof users should be immune to its effect and sound moves should work normally
Obstruct seems to be physically blocking the opponent's move (it's even called Blocking in Japanese) so it wouldn't make sense for a move about physically blocking an opponent's attack to be sound-based and make opponents no longer immune to sound attacks. Though, I do think Obstagoon should have gotten a sound-based signature move considering its inspiration.
I don't like region exclusive evolutions. It complicates things for future games
Eh, I disagree. As other users have suggested, GameFreak could easily implement a specific item for this purpose, or a certain area, or just do nothing at all considering players could just transfer the variant evolution to the game.

Eh, I disagree. As other users have suggested, GameFreak could easily implement a specific item for this purpose, or a certain area, or just do nothing at all considering players could just transfer the variant evolution to the game.
Also, unlike a certain other monster collecting series, the evolution lines are mostly simple and the evolution methods each line has have not changed much through the games, if at all. Now if only there was a way to check evolution methods in game...

Obstruct seems to be physically blocking the opponent's move (it's even called Blocking in Japanese) so it wouldn't make sense for a move about physically blocking an opponent's attack to be sound-based and make opponents no longer immune to sound attacks. Though, I do think Obstagoon should have gotten a sound-based signature move considering its inspiration.

animation shows it screams at oponent before the blocking...

I’m not sure if it was brought up before but the trading card game calls Mr Rime, Galarian Mr Rime, same with Obstagoon. Do we think we will get other versions of these Pokémon?

It's possible eventually, though I doubt we'd get Kantonian/Hoenn versions. More like Gen-9-region Meowth might evolve into Gen-9-region Purrserker.

As for the cards, they do that so that other cards can have effects that say "this card does such-and-such to Pokemon with Galarian in their name" and it'll affect regional variants and their evolutions.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom