• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Prodigy Challenge

Pride

The First Homunculus
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Me and a friend of mine were talking about nuzlockes and speedruns and other challenges, and we began making up rules for a challenge. We were pleased with it, and decided to do it ourselves, and then I thought, why not share it with you guys?

Here are the rules

A. Pokémon
1) Limited to 4
2) Must nickname
3) Must be unevolved.
4) Team must be the same gender
5) The Pokémon must be as follows: your starter, a Pokémon of your choice, a Pokémon exclusive to your game, and a Pokémon exclusive to the other game (This will be further explained later.)

B. The Land
1) Can only catch the Pokémon you are going to use
2) If a Pokémon loses a battle, it is dead and must be released or boxed
3) Game must be completed within 20 hours
4) Must battle every single trainer.

C. Items
1) Pokémon are not allowed to hold items.
2) You are limited to 15 Potions, 10 Super Potions, and 5 Hyper Potions. No Max Potions allowed
3) You are limited to 1 of each Status Healer and 3 Full Restores.
4) You cannot heal status problems in battle.
5) You cannot use any of the X items in battle.

D. Other
1) Game must be from no later then Gen III and can be one of the following: Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, Pearl, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, and White.
This is how you get the Pokémon for your team that is exclusive to the other game.
2) You cannot use Bulbapedia at all while playing
3)No Action Replay cheats or anything else allowed.
4) You are limited to 2 HM Slaves. You can't carry HM Slaves with you if you already have 4 Pokémon. If you need to use an HM, you must either teach it to your Pokémon and get rid of it when you meet a move deleter, or box one of your Pokémon, swap it out with your HM Slave, and then after you're finished, swap back the Pokémon on your team. Basically, you cannot have more than four Pokémon with you at any time.

That's all I remember for now. If I remember any others, I'll post them here.

Now, the prize. The prize for accomplishing this challenge will be a badge stating: "Prodigy Challenge Survivor" I still haven't made the badges, yet, I'll probably ask someone on the forums to do it. To prevent people from falsely stating they have beaten the challenge by stealing the badge image given to someone who actually did, each badge will be differently colored or have a different shape or design, etc.

So that's it for now. What do you guys think? Post all about it, and I'd love to see some rules of your own.

Last edited:
I think you meant loses but put uses instead.

So basically, an extreme version of a Nuzlocke run?

The fact that fainted Pokemon must be dumped in spite the fact that you're only allowed to catch up to 4 Pokemon just seems like way too much.

So basically, an extreme version of a Nuzlocke run?

The fact that fainted Pokemon must be dumped in spite the fact that you're only allowed to catch up to 4 Pokemon just seems like way too much.

Forgot to mention that if a pokemon in ur party does "die" ur allowed to replace it with another pokemon. It doesnt need to be the same pokemon either

I remember when I created several runs. Of course, most of them were so vague I'm pretty sure they were already created. The only two I made that were really original were the Yellow's Method run and the Crystal's Method run. They were basically this:

Yellow's Method:
You can only have six Pokemon.
The Pokemon for your team must all be a basic stage Pokemon.
You can not evolve your Pokemon until the end (this will be explained later).
You can not have your Pokemon hold an everstone.
You have to heal your Pokemon as often as possible (you can't move forward unless your Pokemon are not fainted and their HP is in the green).
If you have a Pokemon that evolves twice you can evolve them into their first stage on victory road.
You may only evolve all your Pokemon into their second evolution stage while challenging the elite four but you must have them all evolve during the same battle.

Crystal's Method:
You can only use six Pokemon at any time during your journey (optional: you can have a seventh Pokemon that you can switch out with one of your Pokemon but it must always be the same two Pokemon that get swapped out for each other).
You must mark your six (or seven) Pokemon.
As soon as you get your first Poke Ball you must catch every wild Pokemon you see.
If you have no Poke Balls you must defeat every Pokemon you see in the wild. (You also must obtain more Poke Balls as soon as possible or else you can't continue.)
If you run out of money you must sell items (If you run out of items you have to find some other way to obtain money or else you cannot continue [exceptions can be made if there is simply no way to get more money without proceeding].)
If you have thirty of the same Pokemon (not including evolutions of that Pokemon) you may release all but one of that species and you don't have to capture that Pokemon if you see it again in the wild (you also do not have to battle that species if you encounter it in the wild).

Dang it, I wish my White game was at the beggining. (I have level 100s in there so I don't want to reset.) So obviously I can't do this.
Anyway, here is my Pokemon Master Challenge.

First of all, this could work if you have finished the game. Just get your weakest Pokemon and go to the suitable route.

Anyway, here are the rules.

Basic Rules:

*Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead and must be released or put in the box permanently unless it is shiny. The reason for shinies is, the Shiny has a special ability that revives itself. But it wears off after 1 faint.
* You have to beat or catch any Pokemon you see. If you run, it is Game Over.
* All legendary Pokemon must be killed, unless it is your version mascot.

PokeBall rules:

* Pokeballs, Great Balls, Ultra Balls, and Heal Balls are general and do not have special rules.
* The Dusk Ball cannot be used in a cave and deactivate at night. Repeat Balls must not be used to catch a Pokemon already caught. Net Balls cannot be used on a water or bug Pokemon. Get what I am saying?
* The Master Ball must never be used and if you use it, Game Over.

Rules with the League Challenges (Leaders, Elite Four, Champion)

* No super-effective moves can be used.
* No items to heal with, either. Revives can only be used on shiny Pokemon, but only once at all.
*In the Champion battle, you must use your weakest move until it runs out of PP and so forth. When it comes ultimately to a super-effective move, you can use an Ether or something or skip to the next move.
* All the people you battle from the League can be rematched if available, but only once.

Items and Healing Tools Rules

* Pokemon may hold items, but only negative effect items, the Ring Target, Sticky Barb, Toxic Orb, or Flame Orb.
* Revives may not be used unless once on a shiny Pokemon.
* Healing items may not be used, unless it is a Sacred Ash.

Trainers

* You must battle every Trainer on the route before advancing unless parts of routes can't be accessed until post-game.
* Rematches are not permitted, unless they are a rival.
* The rival you must go easy on.

Other Rules that Wouldn't Fit in a Category:

*You must try to fill your National Pokedex except for legendary Pokemon.
*Pokemon Centers are illegal and result in a Game Over if used
*In-game trades you must use your strongest Pokemon to trade for.
*You can have six Pokemon in your party.

In a Game Over, you must restart the game if you were playing your game without progress or just simply stop if you had played before and go back to normal. Sorry for the length, but that sounds like a good challenge, doesn't it?

Last edited:
This sounds very challenging, but I think having to battle every trainer is sort of excessive. And is there any rule about having your pokemon at a certain level?

This sounds very challenging, but I think having to battle every trainer is sort of excessive. And is there any rule about having your pokemon at a certain level?

Are you taking about mine? If so, no, there is not a restriction. Oh, and for the legendary Pokemon thing, you can catch Zekrom or Reshiram and then release it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom